Author Topic: How do you slappy grind?  (Read 33606 times)

Reese

Re: How do you slappy grind?
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
See what you really want to do is learn the ways of the axle'es beforehand

Bonus points for actually landing on the curb

https://youtu.be/68Fl7CmHUUY
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:43:19 AM by Reese »

curbslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
switch front side are the best just saying

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 06:24:10 AM »
Any tips on doing slappy front crooks? I can power through them if I can get out at the end of the curb but they are more like nose grinds or Chinese nollies..

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:55:49 AM by Mystical Leader »

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2019, 12:50:20 PM »
For me it was really about the carve into the curb.
I go at it at very flat angle and just carve onto the curb (in Grind direction) last moment.
Like this it almost feels like pumping a wall and you ‘loose weight‘ going up the curb. And you get on easier than just smashing it, cause that doesn‘t work without technique.

Also keeping my front foot further back than I instinctively would and keeping a fair amount of weight on it (not leaning too far back) Helped me with getting the front truck not just to grind but up the curb and with enough weight on so the back truck also does up the curb and doesn‘t just smash in the side stopping you and the slappy.

Good luck

PMA

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2019, 06:09:02 AM »
Both feet on the bolts is what really got them to click for me. It felt so odd at first but then they just worked.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2019, 03:55:48 AM »
Was messing around with switch bs slappies. The learning curve is a lot quicker, but I’m having trouble getting my weight back once I’m on
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2019, 02:36:47 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that your weight has to get on top of the curb. Thinking about that helps everything else come together. In all these trick tip videos they talk about how you need to come at a 45 degree angle, but I think its less than that. At least it looks smoother if you can decrease the angle a bit.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »
Square the shoulders with the curb. Make all the difference.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2021, 10:35:31 AM »
Figured Id bump this thread. Lots of good info. Ive been working on relearning slappies. Got my backside slappies back but frontside has been kicking my ass. I spent a full session dedicated to them and made some progress and landed a few really good solid ones. Such a great feeling. Now my back foot is killing me.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
This is kind of implied in the previous posts talking about it being a sharp carve into the curb but I didn't fully get slappys until I started to focus on pinching both trucks on the side of your board opposite to the curb. This way you can do them at any speed with any amount of effort, you don't really even need to slam your board into it, you can just kinda ride up onto the curb. In that Love Letters episode I think Julien Stranger compares it to a powerslide, and while they do feel like that when you do them with speed and aggression I think that's kind of misleading if you're trying to learn them. Doing it like a powerslide when you're first trying to learn them will just end up grinding your axles down on the side so that the nuts strip when you try to take them off and put them back on

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:43 AM »
I could dedicate my whole life to slappies as they feel that good. Loose trucks and smiles are the key.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »
I don't know, I think it's mostly like a powerslide because both require you to throw your back truck forward and lean back a little, which is the whole mechanism for getting up the curb.  You can also think of it like trying to carve so hard your back truck would loop out if it didn't run into the curb.  Either way, something that really helps for me is setting up like a powerslide, with my back foot up on the tail right behind the pocket and front foot just behind the bolts in a normal ollie spot. Seems to make it easier to really swing the tail around into position in line with the curb so both trucks kind of click into place when you get your weight right. 

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2021, 01:45:42 PM »
just smash/fuck your board up onto the curb. it wants to be there. let it

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
It is like a powerslide in the sense that to get the board sideways, you have to momentarily ‘unweight’, ie: take your weight off the board so that it loses grip enough to push it around, and then in front of you.

Slappies work the same. It’s not a straight-legged push/smash into the curb, there is a tiny unweighting at the point of contact to allow the board to get up onto the curb and then you can push it in front of you.

It’s very subtle, and I don’t think some people who learn it realize this point.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2021, 03:12:53 PM »
The key I needed to remember that helped me relearn is that you kinda need to jam it forward, kinda like you’re going to shoot your board out. Just a quick forward jab and you pop right up there. Oh, and mentally aim it down  the length of the curb.  I hit trouble when I was kind of trying to slash it like the top of a bank, you want to carve in, pop forward and sim down the curb. Before you know it, you’re on top grinding the length!

Hope that makes sense, best way I can describe it.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2021, 03:25:44 PM »
Weight towards your toes for backside and weight on your heels for frontside, stay on bolts unless you're Jason Adams or some other slappy god

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
For me I found a 4” curb and waxed er up. Once I got it down, I found a real curb. Film yourself and you’ll see whats wrong pretty quickly. Slap on!

stillcantreflip

• Rep: -11
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2021, 11:34:19 AM »
the way i learned was i point my feet slight outwards like \ / for frontside slappys, then i can press my toes on the nose kinda to roll up and get balanced

makes so much sense in my head but sounds so dum written down lol

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2021, 07:06:21 AM »
So after a year of only getting out once every week or two, I’m finally comfortable with frontside and backsides that they are in my pocket and I can try variations.

Was trying bs to rock-fakie out, what else is a good next trick?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »
So after a year of only getting out once every week or two, I’m finally comfortable with frontside and backsides that they are in my pocket and I can try variations.

Was trying bs to rock-fakie out, what else is a good next trick?

180 out (both FS and BS) is a good one. No comply out. Slappy Smiths are really fun. It is almost like a combo of slappy and a powerlslide b/c your front wheels are on the ground. The ole' Slappy K is pretty easy and really satisfying. Take regular slappies to 5 O or Tailslides. Shuv out. Grab out. 180 power slide into a slappy. And switch slappies. Try them on higher curbs, unwaxed curbs... Its endless fun.

If you are on IG, check out Tiger Mountain Slappy. I've skated with that kid a few times and he's taken things to a next level.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »
Learned how to BS slappy without lifting my front truck today. Had a buddy give me the tip to think of it like slappy crook but bring your back truck on. It was that easy the whole time.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2021, 08:36:59 AM »
This has probably been mentioned, but I want to say, if it’s really not happening for you, try a different curb. I thought I found the perfect low curb to learn on, literally spent hours with barely ever getting my back truck on. Yesterday I tried a taller curb with a bit of a slant to it and I can slappy it no problem. Gonna perfect the art on that one and then go back to dominate the little one later, but I was really surprised by how much easier it was on the taller curb. Basically make sure your curb has a bit of an angle, at least while you’re learning how.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2021, 09:06:43 AM »
This has probably been mentioned, but I want to say, if it’s really not happening for you, try a different curb. I thought I found the perfect low curb to learn on, literally spent hours with barely ever getting my back truck on. Yesterday I tried a taller curb with a bit of a slant to it and I can slappy it no problem. Gonna perfect the art on that one and then go back to dominate the little one later, but I was really surprised by how much easier it was on the taller curb. Basically make sure your curb has a bit of an angle, at least while you’re learning how.

Just a word of caution, trucks bend easier on less slanted or un-slanted curbs, in my experience.  I've bent axles on two sets of Indys and a set of Ventures doing slappies on vertical or almost vertical curbs, so pick your curbs wisely.  I believe there is such a thing as the perfect angle for a curb, but that probably varies by preference. 

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »
I almost spent 2 months exclusively doing fs slappies on a vertical curb a couple of summers ago. My best advice for them is to ride at 45 degree angle, keep your front foot on the bolts and the back in the pocket. When youre approaching the curb pump like you would on tranny while leaning back. I feel like if you get this move down, you almost always lock in and sometimes cross-lock which looks and feels even sicker.
With the exact same mindset and move i also learned slappy front smiths by reducing the angle i was approaching the curb.
I hope i helped, and be ready to destroy your trucks in ways youve never imagined before

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2021, 12:14:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a word of caution, trucks bend easier on less slanted or un-slanted curbs, in my experience.  I've bent axles on two sets of Indys and a set of Ventures doing slappies on vertical or almost vertical curbs, so pick your curbs wisely.  I believe there is such a thing as the perfect angle for a curb, but that probably varies by preference.

Good to know! I’ve been slamming hard into a vertical curb with tensor mag lights for a few months now because I’m a moron haha. Axles still looking good but I’ll be careful in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
Fear no curb. Continue as normal. Thank You.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good to know! I’ve been slamming hard into a vertical curb with tensor mag lights for a few months now because I’m a moron haha. Axles still looking good but I’ll be careful in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Should probably have mentioned that I'm maybe a bit on the bigger side for a skateboarder at 6 foot and 175 lbs, so slighter dudes probably have a harder time with bending trucks.  Maybe it's more of a "me" problem than a curb or trucks problem. 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Should probably have mentioned that I'm maybe a bit on the bigger side for a skateboarder at 6 foot and 175 lbs, so slighter dudes probably have a harder time with bending trucks.  Maybe it's more of a "me" problem than a curb or trucks problem.

No tea, no shade but I've never bent a truck and I'm 6'3", 200 lbs (220 at my heaviest), and slappies are about 90% percent of my skating. Mostly just straight-up right angle curbs, but a decent amount of slanted parking blocks in there too. I think it is just individual technique or whatever.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No tea, no shade but I've never bent a truck and I'm 6'3", 200 lbs (220 at my heaviest), and slappies are about 90% percent of my skating. Mostly just straight-up right angle curbs, but a decent amount of slanted parking blocks in there too. I think it is just individual technique or whatever.

No shade taken, I guess I have no idea why I bend trucks doing slappies.  I just know it's happened on vertical curbs but not on the ones with a nice little angle on them.