Author Topic: How do you slappy grind?  (Read 33593 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: How do you slappy grind?
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2021, 01:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This has probably been mentioned, but I want to say, if it’s really not happening for you, try a different curb. I thought I found the perfect low curb to learn on, literally spent hours with barely ever getting my back truck on. Yesterday I tried a taller curb with a bit of a slant to it and I can slappy it no problem. Gonna perfect the art on that one and then go back to dominate the little one later, but I was really surprised by how much easier it was on the taller curb. Basically make sure your curb has a bit of an angle, at least while you’re learning how.
[close]

Just a word of caution, trucks bend easier on less slanted or un-slanted curbs, in my experience.  I've bent axles on two sets of Indys and a set of Ventures doing slappies on vertical or almost vertical curbs, so pick your curbs wisely.  I believe there is such a thing as the perfect angle for a curb, but that probably varies by preference.
[close]

Good to know! I’ve been slamming hard into a vertical curb with tensor mag lights for a few months now because I’m a moron haha. Axles still looking good but I’ll be careful in the future. Thanks for the advice.
[close]

Should probably have mentioned that I'm maybe a bit on the bigger side for a skateboarder at 6 foot and 175 lbs, so slighter dudes probably have a harder time with bending trucks.  Maybe it's more of a "me" problem than a curb or trucks problem.
[close]

No tea, no shade but I've never bent a truck and I'm 6'3", 200 lbs (220 at my heaviest), and slappies are about 90% percent of my skating. Mostly just straight-up right angle curbs, but a decent amount of slanted parking blocks in there too. I think it is just individual technique or whatever.
[close]

No shade taken, I guess I have no idea why I bend trucks doing slappies.  I just know it's happened on vertical curbs but not on the ones with a nice little angle on them.

That's wild. I always feel a little crazy because I never break gear and it kind makes me feel like I'm not going hard enough or doing something wrong.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1044
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »
I just learned how to slappy. As hard as I try to bash into the curb, I inevitably do a slight lift on my front truck when I’m going into it.

My best advice (coming from someone who’s known how to poorly do these for two days) is to treat it like you’re pumping into the curb. I learned them at a ~45 degree angle but find it way easier to hit the curb head on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM0x3oDl4pp/?igshid=ntd8ecbtdnqz

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2021, 08:09:54 PM »
You don’t need to lift, just lighten your front foot as the front truck hits. And maybe loosen your trucks a touch.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »
slight angle doesnt work for me. Around 60 degrees at least and very wide stance how I do it, also bs, and crook is easiest. FS is more of a struggle.

Bs slappy is all how you swing your hips.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
 wax your front truck beforehand and haul ass, where your feet should be is in bolts position also lean with your heels for backside and toes for frontside.
Dueces Bitch's

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2021, 07:22:29 PM »
wax your front truck beforehand and haul ass, where your feet should be is in bolts position also lean with your heels for backside and toes for frontside.

I’d take it a step further and hang toes off for bs grinds and hang heels off for fs.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2021, 10:19:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d take it a step further and hang toes off for bs grinds and hang heels off for fs.

I'm really just starting to get them for longer than a slash and that toe hang for BS is definitely where it's at. I'm gonna have to try the heel hang tmrw.

Anyways, it's real cool once I learned to literally smash my front wheels into the curb while simultaneously carving like a pool. Blows my mind that I just ride right up onto the curb. The same logic has come into wallies. Shits hecka fun
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
There were a couple of small things that helped them click for me.

Angling your front foot at nearly 45 degrees with toes just in front of the bolts.

Thinking about pushing the board slightly ahead of me and unweighting ( like a nollie off a crack ) at the split second the front wheels hit the curb.

BigPants

• Rep: 2
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »
Had just posted a new thread for this but I can toss these questions in here. Just moved to Philly and my local spot (rizzo) has one of these parking blocks: https://www.tssco.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Concrete_Parking_Block.jpg

I tried slappy back 50s for like 90 minutes last night and was able to grind the side part of the curb but never actually stood on top of it and grinded the flat top part. I've got a litany of questions and there weren't any local slappy gods so I figured I'd turn to the internet. Feel free to answer any of these questions or just tell me to go faster and figure it out.
1. Is this shape of parking block harder to do proper slappys? When I see people slappy a regular curb they seem to lean away from the curb a bit and smash into it but it feels like you can't do that and actually get on top of this thing.
2. I'm sure this is just a personal preference thing but are front 50s easier for anyone? I'm debating whether I should switch it up.
3. Any advice on getting the back truck on? I had plenty of tries where I smashed the front truck into it and got on but just did a willy grind.
4. Any general slappy advice specific to the angled parking blocks would be great.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »

1. Is this shape of parking block harder to do proper slappys? When I see people slappy a regular curb they seem to lean away from the curb a bit and smash into it but it feels like you can't do that and actually get on top of this thing.

It depends on how steep the curb is. You will have to lean a bit away for anything but a ride-on curb, but less so for smaller or angled curbs. It’s also about how you control your momentum after the board gets in.

2. I'm sure this is just a personal preference thing but are front 50s easier for anyone? I'm debating whether I should switch it up.

You can try. I have a friend who finds fs easier. In a way fs can be easier to get the back trucks on when you are beginning, because we are used to shifting our hips in line with the curb that way. Which leads to the next question

3. Any advice on getting the back truck on? I had plenty of tries where I smashed the front truck into it and got on but just did a willy grind.

A lot of it has to do with how you turn your hips (and subsequently the back foot) into the grind. You have to carve on to it like it’s the peak, (or just past the peak) of a bs carve grind). It’s a sharp turn on, and after you get the front truck on, you have to simultaneously lighten the back truck a touch as you actively ‘twist’ it in with your hips and feet.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »
Some great advice here.

I don't have much else to add but:

-Frontsides are easier to learn on parking blocks.
-The tight pool shallow end, corner pocket carve grind analogy is right on.
-Longer isn't always better. Look at Julien Stranger. Its a quick smash and kiss and on to the next thing.
-The thing with slappies, you can dissect them too much.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2021, 09:03:56 PM »
This sounds kind of weird, but when I did bs slappies more frequently I would literally think ‘get on top’ right before throwing my hip/my front truck hitting and it helped me.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the specific angle of approach, just know that you have to do a hard carve almost straight into the curb and cutback to square your hips and shoulders above it. It’s like doing back and forth carves going fast on flat but you run into the curb when you transition from frontside to backside.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2021, 12:20:09 AM »
Had just posted a new thread for this but I can toss these questions in here. Just moved to Philly and my local spot (rizzo) has one of these parking blocks: https://www.tssco.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Concrete_Parking_Block.jpg

I tried slappy back 50s for like 90 minutes last night and was able to grind the side part of the curb but never actually stood on top of it and grinded the flat top part. I've got a litany of questions and there weren't any local slappy gods so I figured I'd turn to the internet. Feel free to answer any of these questions or just tell me to go faster and figure it out.
4. Any general slappy advice specific to the angled parking blocks would be great.

Frontside 50s are way easier, i'm terrible at backside as I don't rotate my front shoulder around enough. 

The tip that helps with all of your questions that helped me is to visualise your board ontop of the curb grinding and think of the path it needs to take to get there.  Sounds dumb, but works for me.  So I come in at a 45 degree angle then think of an arrow coming off the front of my board onto the top of the curb, then just as I hit the curb I kind of bump it forward towards the imaginary arrow.  Like a tiny shove forward.  Hard to explain, but it's changed the game for me now and I just pop on. 

BigPants

• Rep: 2
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2021, 07:26:54 AM »
Shouts to everyone with the tips, finally clicked for me yesterday. I applied basically every tip everyone said. Also before I was keeping my weight over my back foot, switched it up to be even on both feet and kind of just went weightless when I smashed into the curb. Looking forward to doing a million more of these, maybe try FS slappys or slappy crooks.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2021, 12:22:21 AM »
Shouts to everyone with the tips, finally clicked for me yesterday. I applied basically every tip everyone said. Also before I was keeping my weight over my back foot, switched it up to be even on both feet and kind of just went weightless when I smashed into the curb. Looking forward to doing a million more of these, maybe try FS slappys or slappy crooks.
Slappy crooks is easiest slappy imo, if you can slappy and ollie to crooked grind you should pull one in first few tries.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Slappy crooks is easiest slappy imo, if you can slappy and ollie to crooked grind you should pull one in first few tries.

I can't do a bs crooked grind, but always thought the slappy one would be easier. I can get into them very easy, but never commit to press my nose down, because I can't do them with an ollie before. Any tips pals?
IG: @flowterspace

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2021, 05:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I can't do a bs crooked grind, but always thought the slappy one would be easier. I can get into them very easy, but never commit to press my nose down, because I can't do them with an ollie before. Any tips pals?

I learned slappy crooks before learning how to ollie into them and it helped me get used to the way they feel. It's good to get that crook groove going on your trucks ahead of time as well.

I go at them like a normal backside slappy but with my front foot more on the nose. Do a slight backside carve into the curb and when it makes contact with the front of your board jump up a little bit to remove the weight on your board. The heelside wheel will pop up onto the top of the curb, and when that happens press into the curb with your front foot on the nose. With your back foot lifted up like the Captain Morgan label (a la Mike York), you should be in the proper crook position, and  should be pinching as well assuming your trucks aren't super tight. It might feel weird at first so try getting into a stall and then when you're comfortable with that go faster at it.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2021, 05:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Same. I can get Into crook easy but it never slides. To be fair I don’t do noseslides either which I should probably do first

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2021, 01:09:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Same. I can get Into crook easy but it never slides. To be fair I don’t do noseslides either which I should probably do first
You got it. Get familiar with sliding first, after that approach your curb in slight angle and when on top of grind keeps pushing your heel down, that’ll lock you on.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2021, 06:30:20 PM »
i thought i learned back 50 slappies a while ago only to learn i'm not actually getting my back right wheel off the ground, it's kinda rolling on the ground while my trucks grind (i ride regular). the curbs are pretty small but i'm just getting past constant willy grinds. any advice on what i'm missing here?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2021, 07:36:00 PM »
i thought i learned back 50 slappies a while ago only to learn i'm not actually getting my back right wheel off the ground, it's kinda rolling on the ground while my trucks grind (i ride regular). the curbs are pretty small but i'm just getting past constant willy grinds. any advice on what i'm missing here?

Sounds like you need to carve into the curb with a little extra oomph.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2021, 02:10:28 AM »
Just moved to a new city and went to the neighbourhood curb spot yesterday to finally try and learn slappies. Left feeling defeated after 3 hours. Read through 3 pages of this thread today before going back out and got a few comfortable slappy fs5050's. Can definitely say everything you need to learn is in this thread. Thanks guys!

Being more conscious of swinging my hips into the slappy helps me with this same problem. Like really put some effort into it. Feels like I'm unwinding my shoulders and hips like I'm doing a 180 to push my back wheel up the curb. I think I time it right before my front trucks connects. Hope that makes sense.

Edit* Another thing that messes me up is if I take a week off skating or something to let my legs rest, when I come back I notice I sometimes carve into the curb too early which still lets my front truck get onto the curb but my back trucks gets left behind.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2021, 06:39:26 AM »
Reposting this here for reference

CUCKTARD’S ALL-INCLUSIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONTSIDE AND BACKSIDE SLAPPIES

Take photos now, or copy-paste somewhere on your phone for reference when your at your preferred slutty and slick curb.

1- HANG YOUR FEET OFF.
You are going to turn hard and help those wheels up onto the curb, so if you are going backside, hang your toes off more than usual. If your going frontside, hang your heels off.
Also, for beginners, have your front foot over the front bolts, right up against the curve of the nose.
The back foot is on wherever, but maybe not on the end of the tail. You’re not going to lift the nose.

2- GO STRAIGHT AT THE CURB (or almost straight)
This is just for the beginners. After you get the hang of it and your confidence increases, you can go at a lower angle. But going head-on into the curb will help you get onto it, so have your bodily mass heading into it.

3- CARVE
About a meter/yard before you hit, carve hard into the direction you wanna get on. Your board should be between 70-45 degrees to the curb at time of impact. Your body weight should be well inside the turn, and you should be cranking down hard on those toes or heels.

3- DON’T SLAM THE BOARD
This is the most important point. And one that people make the most mistakes with. Slappies are actually kinda delicate, and a pretty smooth feeling trick once you understand this point.
As your front wheels hit the curb, you have to lighten your front foot, like when you nollie bump a crack in the pavement. You let the board bump up onto the curb, and then do the same with your back foot, as you push it into place. It’s a very quick and subtle unweighting of front foot-back foot.
You never straight-leg slam the board into the curb.

****if you don’t twist enough into the turn, your back wheels won’t bump up. You have to twist your body so that your shoulders and hips are in line with the curb. This is usually easier frontside (probably because fs grinds on as a mini are like this, but with bs you can stay open to the coping). On a slappy, you gotta fully turn your whole body so that the back wheel gets on****

4- GET IN THE BACKSEAT
With your front foot so far forward, you may find yourself weighting the front truck so much that it catches on the grind.
As you get that back truck on, scoot the whole board forward underneath you, get your weight back of center, and grind

5-ENJOY THE RIDE, DISMOUNT IN YOUR PREFERRED STYLE, AND UTTER “PRAISE BE TO LUCERO”