Author Topic: Saddam = death by hanging  (Read 2068 times)

realitycontrol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Saddam = death by hanging
« on: November 05, 2006, 02:11:53 AM »
Associated Press - 2am Sunday Nov 5th

BAGHDAD, Iraq -        Saddam Hussein was convicted and sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for war crimes in the 1982 killings of 148 people in the town of Dujail, as the former leader, trembling, shouted "God is great!"

As he, his half brother and another senior official in his regime were convicted and sentenced to hang, Saddam yelled out, "Long live the people and death to their enemies. Long live the glorious nation, and death to its enemies!"

Some feared the verdicts could intensify        Iraq's sectarian violence after a trial that stretched over nine months in 39 sessions and ended nearly 3 1/2 months ago. Clashes immediately broke out Sunday in north Baghdad's heavily Sunni Azamiyah district, and a Sunni political leader condemned the court decision.

"This government will be responsible for the consequences, with the deaths of hundreds, thousands or even hundreds of thousands, whose blood will be shed," Salih al-Mutlaq, the Sunni politician, told the al-Arabiya satellite television station.

During Sunday's hearing, Saddam initially refused the chief judge's order to rise; two bailiffs lifted the ousted ruler to his feet and he remained standing through the sentencing.

Before the session began, one of Saddam's lawyers, former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark, was ejected from the courtroom after handing the judge a memorandum in which he called the trial a travesty.

Chief Judge Raouf Abdul-Rahman pointed to Clark and said in English, "Get out."

In addition to the former Iraqi dictator and Barzan Ibrahim, his former intelligence chief and half brother, the Iraqi High Tribunal convicted and sentenced Awad Hamed al-Bandar, the head of Iraq's former Revolutionary Court, to death by hanging. Iraq's former Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan was convicted of premeditated murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Three other co-defendants were convicted of murder and torture and sentenced to up to 15 years in prison.

One defendant was acquitted for lack of evidence.

The guilty verdict for Saddam is expected to enrage hard-liners among Saddam's fellow Sunnis, who made up the bulk of the former ruling class. The country's majority Shiites, who were persecuted under the former leader but now largely control the government, will likely view the outcome as a cause of celebration.
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

loophole

Re: Saddam = death by hanging
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:06:33 AM »
now that his murdering rampage is over, we can now only expect more

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 05:58:30 AM »
never a dull day in iraq.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the bloated bodies on CNN, gonna be tight.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 06:41:11 AM »
One thing I haven't heard covered in the news much is the fact that Saddam's execution is based off of murders he committed/supported while he was a US ally in '82.

The prevailing right wing myth seems to be that Saddam was slaughtering millions of people right before the US invasion, when in actuality, the last time he killed a group (in mass) was after Desert Storm (after Bush Sr. lied to the Kurds, telling them that we would support an internal uprising by them in a move to knock Saddam out of power).

Note: I'm in no way condoning Saddam's murders, because that's what they were... I'm just pissed that none of the current war supporters have any clue about the people we've invaded.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 07:05:02 AM »
What a fucking farce. He should have been sent to the Hauge (sp?) and been given a fair trial. This trial is only a farce for the US who only want Saddam out of power to get at the oil supply there. Grim City we encouraged him to kill people because we thought some of them where allies with Iran.

kev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »
Dude, wait.  What?  Are any of you denying the fact he should be killed?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 07:15:47 AM »

I am saying he should have been giving a fair trial in a place that is neutral not in the country where he may or may not have been acting on US orders. 

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 07:16:43 AM »
With all due respect, where is someone like Saddam going to get a fair and unbiased trial?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 07:17:30 AM »
With all due respect, where is someone like Saddam going to get a fair and unbiased trial?

The hauge or how ever you spell it, that is what it was set up for.

SLUTBALL

• Rep: -25
  • kill yourself
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »
nice, hanging, ye ole fasion style. ide prefer the guillotine. worste way to die is probably getting dragged by a horse or the firing squad. you know one of them is aiming for the nuts.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 08:14:24 AM »
Not at all, I'm just hitting at vegan's point about this whole thing being a farce (at least as far as how Tony Snow and the Republicans are spinning this).

Saddam deserves whatever punishment is coming to him in the eye-for-an-eye mode of thought, but that takes away form the bigger picture, that picture being:
We were mislead into invading a sovreign nation.
Even by conservative estimates, we've killed more Iraqi civilians than Saddam did since the Gulf War.
We haven't set up an American style democracy in Iraq, we've set up a new Islamic Republic (as inferred by the Iraqi constitution).
We've destablized the region, causing a civil war in Iraq, empowering Iran to pursue a nuclear weapons program, and we've allowed Osama to escape to Pakistan (our "ally in the war on terror"), while allowing Afghanistan to revert back to a warlord-controlled herion producing country (speaking of which, Bill Frist wants to install the Taliban as part of a representative council there... which is regular since the Taliban was the reason we invaded Afghanistan in the first place).

It's not that Saddam doesn't deserve death, it's that the means don't justify the ends.

obeygiant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »
not going to be pretty in iraq the next few days

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 08:23:32 AM »
nice, hanging, ye ole fasion style. ide prefer the guillotine. worste way to die is probably getting dragged by a horse or the firing squad. you know one of them is aiming for the nuts.

Crushing owns

check it

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 08:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crushing owns

check it

I'm betting that Cheney and BushCo used to furiously masturbate to these images.

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 11:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The hauge or how ever you spell it, that is what it was set up for.
Den Haag in Netherlands or what do you mean?
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 12:01:02 PM »
we finally beat 9/11!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 11:09:15 AM »
we finally beat 9/11!

Hooray! can we have habeas corpus back now?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 11:31:04 AM »
OK, Mr. Rumsfeld. If you don't support what we are doing in Iraq you might as well be in the death squad, right? You do know that if Saddam is guilty, than so are guys like Ronald Reagan, who funded and supported his entire operation as an anti-Iranian act while all of the torture and mass graves and all that bullshit they talk about was going on. Rumsfeld went to Iraq, met with Saddam, and determined all was good while he was in power. Of course, secretely Reagan and co. were selling arms to Iran, so its hard to even call his support of Saddam strategic. The fact is, Saddam's crimes were all committed in the early 80's, with strong U.S. financial and military support. This is not conspiracy theory bullshit. It is well documented. This whole thing is like two guys robbing a bank, and after its all over, one guy turns to the other and says "Your under arrest for robbery!" Then brings him to his hideout, where all of his friends wait to convict and sentence the man. Its just weird. The whole warcrimes trial was a sham, and the only reason the U.S. persued it was to justify going to war. Now they can say "See, he is a war criminal." UNfortunately, our government is just as guilty for war crimes. Remember at the beginning of the war when people were saying "Do you want the torture chambers to come back?" They dropped that one super quietly. Sure, Saddam is a scumbag, and deserves no prize, but the U.S. persuing a warcrimes trial just seems fucked up. I don't think I see anybody defending Saddam or his actions, just criticizing how the U.S. is doing business. Saying that anybody who thinks the whole situation is wrong supports saddam or genocide is ignorant, and is nothing more than an attempt to quell intellectual questions to which the Bush administration can not positively answer.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 11:53:29 PM »
eichmann...now there was a trial.
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

neon blitz

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 05:39:49 AM »
well done america.

and please dont start with the whole"it was an "iraqi trial" shit, i wouldnt be fucked to listen...

the fact of the matter is, the man is a fucking nutter that probably deseves it, but the fact that they couldnt even conduct it fairly just shows how stupid they are, i mean its not as if he was ever going to be found innocent regardless of how they done it...

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 05:57:08 AM »
I definitely won't shed a tear for this asshole but at the same time I am not going to be chearing like our team won.

This whole mess is fucking lame and predictible and I am just suprised at how stupid the majority of americans are. There is nothing happening or that has happened in that country that is good. Wake up people, we are the invading, imperialist assholes. The only thing we are giving the people of Iraq is hardship and anarchy. We need to hurry up and pull out so that they can get on with their civil war. Why delay the inevitable.

At least under Sadam there was some stability in their country and some of the population was able to be happy. Now they have to be a hot spot of civil war for 20 or so years before they can be lucky enough to have an asshole like sadam bring some level of order back to that shit hole of a country while supressing the opposing ethnic groups.

People need People because of other People

• Rep: 3