Author Topic: Obama backs gay marriage  (Read 9806 times)

76-88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0

76-88

• Rep: 0
Re: Obama backs gay marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Here in the Netherlands this is not a big deal. I know people feel differently elsewhere.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
Its one of those "It shouldn't be a big deal but it is" moments. Kennedy coming out in support of Civil rights should have been obvious too, but it wasn't. Good for Obama!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Joe Pesci

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
every time some shit about gay marriage comes up i just think like "are we seriously still discussing this?"

just seems like something that should have already been legal everywhere, especially by 20 fucking 12

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »
I think the real reason that hardcore right wingers oppose gay marriage is because, by definition, it would classify  their favorite past-time of blowing other dudes as extramarital affairs and threaten the sanctity of their current marriage.  By denying the existence of gay marriage they can rationalize it as harmless frat house style bro-ing out.

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
I'm backin' this.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
 ;D

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »
fuck yeah, obama steady killing it

PTDK

• Rep: 29
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
It's actually really an amazing political move. Although typically, Black and Latino people oppose gay marriage, he already has 90% of the Black and Latino vote...and what are they gonna do, go vote for Romney? There is no way. This way he stirs up the progressive left and gets them excited again.
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
^^^^Pretty much what I thought. Black people will still vote for him even if they are homophobic.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

ATYPICALSLAPPOSTER

• Rep: -14
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
alright obama you go, gay people deserve rights too

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
dont even get me started on them dot damn sodomites

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
hell yeah!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
It's actually really an amazing political move. Although typically, Black and Latino people oppose gay marriage, he already has 90% of the Black and Latino vote...and what are they gonna do, go vote for Romney? There is no way. This way he stirs up the progressive left and gets them excited again.
Wait though, there is some risk to this. The evangelicals were all set to stay home instead of support a mormon (NOT CHRISTIAN!!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!), but I could see them coming out to support him if they think the other guy is pro-abortion and pro-faggot. That's a big voting block people thought Mitt might not get, and now I bet he will. Its not a win-win in terms of political strategy.
Though you know if it comes up as a debate issue that Obama will wipe the fucking floor with Romney on it. He's brilliant at framing issues.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
It's funny, I live in a very liberal town, and when people found out that North Carolina banned gay marriage people were in an uproar. Yes, in this day and age it's almost trivial, but I really wasn't shocked by this outcome. It flabbergasted me how outraged people were

PTDK

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wait though, there is some risk to this. The evangelicals were all set to stay home instead of support a mormon (NOT CHRISTIAN!!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!), but I could see them coming out to support him if they think the other guy is pro-abortion and pro-faggot. That's a big voting block people thought Mitt might not get, and now I bet he will. Its not a win-win in terms of political strategy.
Though you know if it comes up as a debate issue that Obama will wipe the fucking floor with Romney on it. He's brilliant at framing issues.

Romney is too moderate for the Evangelicals though. Also, Obama will never win the bible belt states anyway, so whatevs...ya know?
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
most those bible belters dont trust mormons though. this is gonna be an easy one for obama, religion plays a muchh bigger part in elections than it should and obama is a "christian"

PTDK

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
most those bible belters dont trust mormons though. this is gonna be an easy one for obama, religion plays a muchh bigger part in elections than it should and obama is a "christian"

Yea, but there is no possible way that the South is going to vote for a Black man who is pro-choice, pro gay marriage, pro universal healthcare, and who's grandfather was muslim. Although, I think that Obama will win this election, I don't think it is going to be a clean sweep. There are a ton of issues that Obama has fucked up or been too much of a push over on. He also promised a lot and hasn't quite delivered....Im not hating, I like Obama for the most part, but I don't think that Romney should be discounted as a threat.

Just curious.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
I like you PTDK.
I actually think the press is intentionally ignoring a lot of stuff in order to falsely present this as a close contest. Unless some serious shit comes out, I think Obama is going to kick the shit out of Romney. If you look at it state by state, the only states Romney has control of solidly would vote for a rock if it had an "(r)" next to it's name. Every swing state either swings in favor of Obama, or is too close to call. On top of that, there are a few things that people said were going to do Obama in. The big ones are-
1- Unemployment over 9%.... its not over 9% now officially
2- Rising gas prices...they've peaked
3- He treats the wealthy with too much favor...compared to Romney? nope.
4- He's "not one of us." ... neither of them are.

I wish Obama had to do more for the base to win, but I really think this is not going to be a repeat of 2000.

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
^^^ The unemployment rate is actually higher than that when you take into account all the people who have simply stopped looking for jobs and no longer factor into the official statistics.

ilikebitches

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »

Yes and no. I live in North Carolina, where yesterday an state constitutional amendment passed banning same sex marrage. It was already illegal,  but now has been added to the constitution. North Carolina voted democratic last election, and for the most part is a very progressive state. With that said, as soon as gay marriage was on the block, it seems like we went from progressive to 1800's in an instant. Besides the 5 or 6 major cities and social hubs we have, the rural side of the state state came out overwhelmingly to vote conservative. Obama backing same sex marriages is great, but risky. People tend to vote on a few issues that are key to them. Religious conservatives will not vote for a man who they think will legalize same sex marriages. It was proven yesterday in my state.

I still think Obama will win, but we went from blue to red in a heartbeat yesterday, and I feel like a lot of places/people might do the same. (We are, after all, the 30th state to have this amendment added to our constitution).

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes and no. I live in North Carolina, where yesterday an state constitutional amendment passed banning same sex marrage. It was already illegal,  but now has been added to the constitution. North Carolina voted democratic last election, and for the most part is a very progressive state. With that said, as soon as gay marriage was on the block, it seems like we went from progressive to 1800's in an instant. Besides the 5 or 6 major cities and social hubs we have, the rural side of the state state came out overwhelmingly to vote conservative. Obama backing same sex marriages is great, but risky. People tend to vote on a few issues that are key to them. Religious conservatives will not vote for a man who they think will legalize same sex marriages. It was proven yesterday in my state.

I still think Obama will win, but we went from blue to red in a heartbeat yesterday, and I feel like a lot of places/people might do the same. (We are, after all, the 30th state to have this amendment added to our constitution).

yesterday was a pretty serious day in NC. i live in a pretty liberal area in Charlotte and i literally had NO idea people were going to vote for this. every day i saw about 100 "VOTE NO" signs in front of practically every house and i saw or heard nothing about actually voting for the amendment. i was pretty shocked to see the poll results. then i saw that map picture that showed every "city" in NC voted against it while all the rural areas are the ones who voted for it. pretty wild.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yesterday was a pretty serious day in NC. i live in a pretty liberal area in Charlotte and i literally had NO idea people were going to vote for this. every day i saw about 100 "VOTE NO" signs in front of practically every house and i saw or heard nothing about actually voting for the amendment. i was pretty shocked to see the poll results. then i saw that map picture that showed every "city" in NC voted against it while all the rural areas are the ones who voted for it. pretty wild.

few123456789

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
I like you PTDK.
I actually think the press is intentionally ignoring a lot of stuff in order to falsely present this as a close contest. Unless some serious shit comes out, I think Obama is going to kick the shit out of Romney. If you look at it state by state, the only states Romney has control of solidly would vote for a rock if it had an "(r)" next to it's name. Every swing state either swings in favor of Obama, or is too close to call. On top of that, there are a few things that people said were going to do Obama in. The big ones are-
1- Unemployment over 9%.... its not over 9% now officially
2- Rising gas prices...they've peaked
3- He treats the wealthy with too much favor...compared to Romney? nope.
4- He's "not one of us." ... neither of them are.

I wish Obama had to do more for the base to win, but I really think this is not going to be a repeat of 2000.

8% is the Magic number they promised and what the media usually focus on...

I agree the election likely won't be close, but it probably will until the end.

To the poster who said NC banned gay marriage: not really, it already was banned.  They voted on a definition of marriage as part of the constitution so a judge couldn't rule the ban down someday like they did in California.  I don't live there...  Just saying.

Obama still left it up to the states in the end, just like it is, so I'm not sure what there is to celebrate.  He should have said it four years ago.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:34:26 PM by few123456789 »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
^^^ The unemployment rate is actually higher than that when you take into account all the people who have simply stopped looking for jobs and no longer factor into the official statistics.
That's why I said officially. This has always been true though. Unemployment statistics are based on unemployment claims, and a lot of people don't go on unemployment for a variety of reasons. Despite my liberal views, I've never used unemployment or food stamps even though there have been times I have qualified for both. I'm not saying I never would, but a lot of people don't. Its really stupid that they base unemployment on that. Its also why you will never see the unemployment numbers that existed before they did the count this way today. In the great depression I believe unemployment peaked around 25%, but that was based on actual estimates of employment and the population that were of the working age. If they took it today under those conditions it probably would show at like 15%.

And it may be 8%, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets there by November (again, officially, not the real number). Reagan got reelected in '84 with something around 9% unemployment, but part of that had to do with the fact that the number was dropping (like Obama's is) so people trusted that things were getting better, and even feared that the delicate situation could turn bad again without him. Obama can potentially have this in his favor, and also has in his favor the fact that things went to shit before he was in office.

And in terms of the significance of his change of opinion and the fact that the laws are still on the book, he is the executive, not a legislator, he can't make or change laws, but he can refuse to enforce them (as he already has with DOMA) and he can use the bully pulpit to bring the issue up in a positive way, and can sign bills into law that can overturn DOMA while vetoing things like constitutional amendments banning same sex marriage.

Also, with NC, he could have blown it, but at the same time, NC has a very large black population which is a lot more likely to back Obama than they are to vote to support gay marriage.  We'll see what happens though. I'll probably respect him even more if he loses some states because of it though.

few123456789

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
Gipper: do you really think he changed his mind?

I agree it will fall to 8 but the number of people working wont increase.

The unemployment rate in November 1984 was 7.2%; it wasn't above 8 and the U6 was declining.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:31:36 PM by few123456789 »

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
Gay people have the right to be as miserable as everyone else.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
I'm enjoying the Dill photos.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood