Author Topic: Obama backs gay marriage  (Read 9805 times)

few123456789

Re: Obama backs gay marriage
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »
Gay people have the right to be as miserable as everyone else.

Haha this. 

via

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I like you PTDK.
I actually think the press is intentionally ignoring a lot of stuff in order to falsely present this as a close contest. Unless some serious shit comes out, I think Obama is going to kick the shit out of Romney. If you look at it state by state, the only states Romney has control of solidly would vote for a rock if it had an "(r)" next to it's name. Every swing state either swings in favor of Obama, or is too close to call. On top of that, there are a few things that people said were going to do Obama in. The big ones are-
1- Unemployment over 9%.... its not over 9% now officially
2- Rising gas prices...they've peaked
3- He treats the wealthy with too much favor...compared to Romney? nope.
4- He's "not one of us." ... neither of them are.

I wish Obama had to do more for the base to win, but I really think this is not going to be a repeat of 2000.
[close]

8% is the Magic number they promised and what the media usually focus on...

I agree the election likely won't be close, but it probably will until the end.

To the poster who said NC banned gay marriage: not really, it already was banned.� They voted on a definition of marriage as part of the constitution so a judge couldn't rule the ban down someday like they did in California.� I don't live there...� Just saying.

Obama still left it up to the states in the end, just like it is, so I'm not sure what there is to celebrate.� He should have said it four years ago.

That's what I said... it was already illegal, and now constitutionally so. I just didn't mention they did so by voting on an absolute definition of the term "marriage"

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
Really? I could have sworn I read somewhere it was just above 8, but that the downward trend worked in his favor. I think the unemployment numbers will reflect real job growth. The thing is, if the economy was still losing tons of jobs, even the people who stopped looking would be replaced on the unemployment numbers with new claims. We'll never get genuine stable growth until we do something about manufacturing. I know it's cliche, but Chomsky recently wrote some interesting ideas regarding this issue:
http://www.salon.com/2012/05/08/chomsky_jobs_arent_coming_back/singleton/
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

PTDK

• Rep: 29
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
The problem is, the more that Obama lowers the unemployment rate, the more the GOP will say that people stopped looking/aren't filing. If they counter with new jobs created numbers they will just say its not enough. Romney came to my state today and a reporter asked him what his stance was here because our unemployment rate is about 7.5%, which is pretty good. He just said "It should be lower, there should be more jobs." There will never be enough for Romney and the GOP until they are in office and say that 7.5% is realistic for our times.
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.

few123456789

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
Really? I could have sworn I read somewhere it was just above 8, but that the downward trend worked in his favor. I think the unemployment numbers will reflect real job growth. The thing is, if the economy was still losing tons of jobs, even the people who stopped looking would be replaced on the unemployment numbers with new claims. We'll never get genuine stable growth until we do something about manufacturing. I know it's cliche, but Chomsky recently wrote some interesting ideas regarding this issue:
http://www.salon.com/2012/05/08/chomsky_jobs_arent_coming_back/singleton/

The auto companies assemble parts mainly made in LCR plants, norm should know that...i don't disagree with the sentiment but nothing is going to change cheap labor and globalization.  Look at Apple...  And yeah most bankers don't create value they just transfer wealth; in some cases the govt writes ridiculous rules that creates an even bigger market for them (Fannie / Freddie - affordable housing). 

I don't agree with norms solution.  Fiat owns GM and a bunch of US bond holders got screwed (think teacher pensions, state pension funds)?  The govt also lost money.

Appreciate the link though I've bought some of his books; I don't disagree with him all the time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:31:55 PM by few123456789 »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
I don't know what LCR is, but I like the idea of case by case cooperative worker ownership of manufacturing, there's no way it would be off shored, which could stabilize a middle class and industrial infrastructure, which is necessary, and the taxes would go to state coffers.

I'm not always on Noam's side either, he's way too simplistic in international relations. When he picks a side in issues he goes after the opposition with a fine toothed comb and often overlooks some of the horrific acts done by the groups he supports. He does bring up a lot of shit others don't though, and he doesn't make up his shit, so he's worth reading.

few123456789

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »
Low cost region.  Agreed on Noams writing - a lot is unrealistic opinion though.  I picked him up at ohare a few years back and didn't know if he was right or left for the first chapter.  Might have been the booze though.

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/04/152007639/unemployment-dips-to-8-1-percent-fewer-jobs-added

"The unemployment rate dropped to 8.1 percent last month from 8.2 percent in March. It has fallen a full percentage point since August to a three-year low. But last month's decline was not due to job growth. The government only counts people as unemployed if they are actively looking for work.

In April, the percentage of adults working or looking for work fell to the lowest level in more than 30 years. Many have become discouraged about their prospects. More than 5 million Americans have been unemployed for six months or longer, an astonishingly high number almost three years into a recovery."

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha this. 

same here. I think marriage in general is a tradition that doesn't make sense anymore. at least for me it's the most ridiculous contract a human being can sign. so same goes for gay marriage. but facing the fact that homosexuals still are not accepted by most members of our specie it's the right thing be pro gay-marriage in order to change this situation. 

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »
I think "Marriage" should only be a religious term and "Civil Unions" should be all that is recognized by government.

;)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha this. 
[close]

same here. I think marriage in general is a tradition that doesn't make sense anymore. at least for me it's the most ridiculous contract a human being can sign. so same goes for gay marriage. but facing the fact that homosexuals still are not accepted by most members of our specie it's the right thing be pro gay-marriage in order to change this situation. 
Ever hear this one- "marriage- betting half of your shit that you will love somebody forever."

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 04:59:00 AM »
/thread. best response ever.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
The entire debate surrounding unemployment is regular. Everyone is so focused on numbers and how statistics will shape the election that they're losing the entire narrative of this recession. I'm flabbergasted the Democrats haven't created a message that asks "What do Republicans want to do to fix the economy and how is this different from their pre-2008 policies?" if they sidestep you just keep asking them and let them dig their own hole. If Democrats could do this than the numbers don't become the issue (which we all know is kind of true anyway) and we actually get a *GASP* policy debate going on in the US.

Just as an aside- when I first graduated from college I got a job at a PR firm. Because I was listed as an intern they could deny me a buttload of benefits and I couldn't get overtime even though I was working 60 hours a week and a ton of events on the weekends. After about 8 months the company had to downsize and, suprise suprise, my boss's daughter and all her airhead friends get to keep their jobs while me and the 4 other people who constantly had to cover for said ditzes get the shit can. Flash forward 4 months and I can't find a job and things are getting bad (like losing my apartment bad). I apply for unemployment benefits and a week later get a letter from my old employer saying that if I accept unemployment they're going to sue me. Thanks a lot, shitheads. Luckilly, I got a job a week or so later but there are still days I consider taking the train to that place and going office space with a book of matches.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
Office space treatment was too nice for that prick. If the building is burnt down and he is ok, no justice was done. Another valid response to that letter would be "bring it fuck-o, I've been looking for an excuse to hire a lawyer, this will make a wrongful termination suit and airing all the dirty laundry about your daughter become very easy and justified. If you want to step into court, I have plenty of time to hash it all out...do you?"

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »
http://anthropologist.livejournal.com/1314574.html

Interesting read on gay marriage sanctioned by the church in the 11 - 12th century.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
It's actually really an amazing political move. Although typically, Black and Latino people oppose gay marriage, he already has 90% of the Black and Latino vote...and what are they gonna do, go vote for Romney? There is no way. This way he stirs up the progressive left and gets them excited again.

Black people can be hateful towards homosexuals (IMO black gays tend to be more obnoxious than gays of other races) at the same time, we firmly believe to stay out of people business when that shit got nothing to do with you. I wish more people were like that.

before he was elected obama said, that he wasn't against gay marriage but will not make any attempts to pass it. He's pretty much repeating himself. mitt romney also stated he had no problem with gay marriage but later had a change of heart

politics suck...

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
America is too eligious intolerant to elect a Mormon president. Any ways, Romney is out of touch with the American public and favors the rich.

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
Nice to see so many support this, but don't be blase, it IS a big deal.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »
Nice to see so many support this, but don't be blase, it IS a big deal.

A huge deal, especially for those who live it.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
good for him!

few123456789

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
I think "Marriage" should only be a religious term and "Civil Unions" should be all that is recognized by government.

;)

This.

few123456789

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha this. 
[close]

[close]
Ever hear this one- "marriage- betting half of your shit that you will love somebody forever."

Some of us bet all our shit.  Marriage is mostly a great time if you're REALLY fucking careful and honest with yourself.