Author Topic: What instrument do you play?  (Read 9138 times)

Laban Fetus

Re: What instrument do you play?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »
Everyday. Started out being one of those arrogant "I don't need to learn how to play to make good songs" guys but now I just wanna learn everything in the book. I credit Youtube stay-at-home dads for showing me how to nail hot pentatonic licks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:18:36 PM by Laban Fetus »

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I looked at that price tag on the back of the MS20 mini in Guitar center. I quite like the Minibrute - which it looks like on Ebay the prices have dropped to around 350 - but might just go for the MS20 mini for $450 new, picked up straight from GC. Haha that would basically make my whole setup Korg aside from my guitar.

As far as sounds, definitely more into tore apart like Handsome Furs and Mickey Brown then 8 bits like Bondage Fairies and Kap Bambino. Pretty into new wave-y stuff like Chromatics, glass candy, and farah too.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
i love my minibrute, but the MS 20 is really cool.  it even comes with patch cables so you can get a taste of modular patching. 

glass candy and all of his other projects have always been a big inspiration to me, and are one of the main reasons i decided to take the plunge and get into synths myself. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2013, 01:48:17 AM »
Korg VOLCA series officially announced at Musikmesse just now:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/04/10/korg-intros-affordable-volca-analog-synth-line/

$150 a piece!!!  this is a serious no-brainer.  pair these 3 with a decent midi keyboard and you have a full analog setup for under 500 bones.   pre-ordering all 3 as soon as they're available.  

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:53:21 AM by augustmoon »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
Holy shit. Just adding these to the normal set up makes it a completely different machine but what's so insane about it is they're only 150 a piece. I mean, if you've already got a midi keyboard or two, a drum machine, guitar, etc... this multiplies it by so much for so little. I haven't looked into it yet but any word on the release dates?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »
July supposedly.  I just put a pre-order in at Sweetwater. 

These things are going to open up electronic music to so many more people. 

Also, Korg usually leaves a lot of unused options on their circuit boards, so I expect people to mod and circuit bend these to hell and back

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 424
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
Been drumming for a while, like 12 years. Had to stop when I moved to a city though. Don't have the room for a set anymore, and electric ones are expensive.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »
I used to play the bassoon , I was knee deep in pussy

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
Hmmmm...

So lately I've been thinking about selling my R3 and swapping it out for full analogs. I'm going to wait until I get back from my trip to Europe before I buy anything but I'm thinking of selling the R3 and getting the MS20 mini and the minibrute. Haha Augustmoon I'm pretty sure you're the only one who'd have an opinion on this.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
haha I'd say definitely go for it.  the chick in my main band uses the R3, also Xiu Xiu used one when we were on tour together.  Its a cool VA, but now that my whole rig is all analog, it completely buries her in the mix.  I've been checking out that MS20 more and more.  Its super sick.  I really need to stop buying shit, but that thing will be mine someday (maybe once they start showing up used).  I think it would be awesome to use it with the Minibrute.  The MB sends control voltage, so you could plug the gate and pitch from the MB into any number of the patch inputs on the MS20, and then send signal back out of the MS20 into the MB.  Its basically a mini-modular setup.  You should be able to get crazy shit out of patching them together.

speaking of modular:

Shredsledder

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »
I used to play tenor sax as a kid but I've forgotten everything i knew.

I've been trying my hand at the keyboard, started probably 5 or 6 months ago, it's starting to get fun as my hands begin to cooperate with me. I really fucked my right pinky up a few years ago, and as a result i can barely move it so that's a bit of a handicap.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 03:46:30 AM »
Played the violin from grade five until sophmore year and also piano from junior high until tenth.
Guess what ethnicity my parents are!

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
haha I'd say definitely go for it.  the chick in my main band uses the R3, also Xiu Xiu used one when we were on tour together.  Its a cool VA, but now that my whole rig is all analog, it completely buries her in the mix.  I've been checking out that MS20 more and more.  Its super sick.  I really need to stop buying shit, but that thing will be mine someday (maybe once they start showing up used).  I think it would be awesome to use it with the Minibrute.  The MB sends control voltage, so you could plug the gate and pitch from the MB into any number of the patch inputs on the MS20, and then send signal back out of the MS20 into the MB.  Its basically a mini-modular setup.  You should be able to get crazy shit out of patching them together.

speaking of modular:

Yeah, that's sort of what I'd anticipate happening so instead of sorting that out I figure why not throw the R3 up on Ebay and see where it goes. Going from the Microkorg to the R3 to now getting a Minibrute + MS20 just makes the priors feel like stepping stones to me but it's just my progressions and interests I suppose.  I paid $350 for it and the average rate on Ebay for them is $400 so I may even get a bit more. My friend who works at guitar center said he could put one of the MS20 mini's on hold for me until when I get back from my trip - so insane this GC has them for $450 new. Glad I randomly went in there on my day off to fuck around with stuff. That plus throwing in the Volca's when they come out will probably have me go MIA for a bit haha.

I've been saving up money for so long and could have bought this stuff way sooner but want to wait until I get back from this 2 1/2 week Euro trip to blow my load on the safe side, it's killing me though. Lots of shit in the works though and lots of things I want to buy so also when I get back if I stay in LA I might sell my car and get a motorcycle for the extra dough. Shall see.

kiefersutherland

• Rep: -24
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2013, 06:02:53 AM »
I started with the Bass now i also play  reg too

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:06:22 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »

I didn't want to open another thread so here it is.

Ok so I've been wanting to learn to play guitar and harmonica for a while and I finally decided to start.

I imagine there's plenty of guitar players here so some advices would be great!
What's the best way to learn to play acoustic guitar? DIY or taking some lessons? Books to download, apps for mac that could help? I don't really know, it would be sick if someone would throw ANY tips here.
Thanks  :)
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

I didn't want to open another thread so here it is.

Ok so I've been wanting to learn to play guitar and harmonica for a while and I finally decided to start.

I imagine there's plenty of guitar players here so some advices would be great!
What's the best way to learn to play acoustic guitar? DIY or taking some lessons? Books to download, apps for mac that could help? I don't really know, it would be sick if someone would throw ANY tips here.
Thanks  :)

you know how to tune it? anything about it? got any guitar playing buddies? no? take some lessons then.

BrewSwet

• Rep: 0
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Been drumming for a while, like 12 years. Had to stop when I moved to a city though. Don't have the room for a set anymore, and electric ones are expensive.

bummer to hear.. i've been playing for about 8 years or so and have found myself in a similar position. hopefully things will change!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
make some sort of a ghetto kit out of pots and pans, maybe even a skateboard and take it to the park.... i was drumming on my ghetto kit (which is great cuz there's no heads to break through) and i was using a mini hammer with a metal head as a drumstick and i had a spraycan i was using as a cymbal/shaker thingy and after a while i punctured through it and paint when all over my room. even have some on my laptop now. i'd be damned.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
Really heavily picked up guitar about a year and a half ago as something to do when I'm not working/skating. Plus I don't have the room in my place for any kind of piano and don't desire a keyboard. So I bought an acoustic Martin to replace my $100 beginner guitar. Then recently picked this up to start playing more jazzy stuff, I have yet to use a pick.

It's a lot of fun and relaxing. And honestly dude, don't be afraid of taking lessons if it's something you want to do.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
I play guitar and lapsteel. I've amassed way too many fuzz pedals - and pedals in general - over the last few years.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »
Really heavily picked up guitar about a year and a half ago as something to do when I'm not working/skating. Plus I don't have the room in my place for any kind of piano and don't desire a keyboard. So I bought an acoustic Martin to replace my $100 beginner guitar. Then recently picked this up to start playing more jazzy stuff, I have yet to use a pick.

It's a lot of fun and relaxing. And honestly dude, don't be afraid of taking lessons if it's something you want to do.
I have a '64 Jazzmaster. My dad found it (original) in a pawn shop in East LA in the 90's for like $200 I think? It spoiled me very early on. From about the age of 9 when I first started playing I just thought this was how guitars were supposed to sound and feel. What gauge strings are you running? I have always used 13's and people think I'm crazy.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have a '64 Jazzmaster. My dad found it (original) in a pawn shop in East LA in the 90's for like $200 I think? It spoiled me very early on. From about the age of 9 when I first started playing I just thought this was how guitars were supposed to sound and feel. What gauge strings are you running? I have always used 13's and people think I'm crazy.

13s are fine. People are crazy

DONT_CARE

• Rep: -9
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
I have played in an orchestra since i was 9 and currently play viola and fuck around on guitar.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »
Played some keys yesterday. They gotta piano set up outside my local store where i get a soda from time to time. I kinda liked playing clarinet but taking it apart/cleaning it/soaking the reeds is not fun for me.

SHAWN COMBOVER

• WHAT A FUCKING WRINKLE DRINKER
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »
http://crushdrum.com/drumsets/sublime-series/sublime-e3/

Just got the white and green striped ones last week. FUCKING STOKED!
First new drum kit purchase ever.
They sound so good. Punchy and resonate foooor eeeevvv eeeerrrr.
doublesteveburger: I'm gonna stick to being sad and skating with my poor friends.
busey: he's like an avenged sevenfold song come to life who wandered around living off energy drinks.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
crush drums eh? is that better than say... sabian, yamaha, gretsch, pulse, zildjan, etc?

SHAWN COMBOVER

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:59 AM »
crush drums eh? is that better than say... sabian, yamaha, gretsch, pulse, zildjan, etc?

sabian and zildjan are cymbal brands. great ones at that. Yamaha and gretsch make some kick ass drums too. Not sure about pulse though... There's a low and high end of quality/performance with all of these manufactures though. they all make terrible sounding affordable stuff and beautiful sounding wallet raping stuff. i think the crush kit that I got is a nicer model but not top level. I've been playing for 10+ years and decided it was time to invest in a quality kit. They are based out of FL and I am extremely happy with my purchase.
doublesteveburger: I'm gonna stick to being sad and skating with my poor friends.
busey: he's like an avenged sevenfold song come to life who wandered around living off energy drinks.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sabian and zildjan are cymbal brands. great ones at that. Yamaha and gretsch make some kick ass drums too. Not sure about pulse though... There's a low and high end of quality/performance with all of these manufactures though. they all make terrible sounding affordable stuff and beautiful sounding wallet raping stuff. i think the crush kit that I got is a nicer model but not top level. I've been playing for 10+ years and decided it was time to invest in a quality kit. They are based out of FL and I am extremely happy with my purchase.

sabian actually do make shells my nig

SHAWN COMBOVER

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

sabian actually do make shells my nig
I'm sure they sound great.