Author Topic: haircut issues.  (Read 15707 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
haircut issues.
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:55:51 AM »
so, i just came back from the barbershop, equiped with a haircut.
needless to say, what's on my head makes me look like a complete idiot once again.
i know how you say "after 5 days any haircut is a good haircut".

but seriously did any of you guys ever stood up from a barbers chair and felt good about your hairdo and liked it from the first minute?

i never did and probably never will.

i have to admit one time when i was younger i showed the barber a picture of geoff rowley and ended up looking like ashton kutcher.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:00:36 AM by pica »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
Re: haircut issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »
Nope. Because it's hard to fuck up a number 2 buzz. Follow the Ron Swanson guide to hair cuts and you'll be fine.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:22:25 AM »
Barber?
Go to a salon with a hot stylist, it's worth the extra money for both the quality of haircut and experience. 
And really, who's boobs would you rather stare at in the mirror: a fat, old barber or a crazy chick with a cosmetology "degree"?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:26:21 AM »
beeing not so familar with the english terminology, let me say my "barber" actually is a blonde chick in her mid twenties, staring at her boobs is the only way to sit through the dull conversation she tries to keep going.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:30:01 AM by pica »

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:47:34 AM »
Yeah, pretty sure a barber is always a man that cuts men's hair and does shaves.

I usually get the buyer's remorse after a cut, it just takes an adjustment period.  I used to go to this one girl and actually would be happy with the cut immediately, but had to quit her after her rate went to $50 (before tip).  If this blonde chick is no good, shop around for a new place, ask around for recommendations.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »
i am not a fan of getting a hair cut (i am always afraid that the hairdresser or barber might take a chunk out of my ear)
so i normally just shave my hair off and look like a serial rapist for a month

plus im slowly but surely going bald so getting used to the shaved head look is also a plus

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »
If you don't like your haircut get a new barber/stylist

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »
cut/shave your own hair/head/pubes

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:10:12 AM »
Find a photo of desired haircut and show it to her.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:22 AM »
"after 5 days any haircut is a good haircut".

after realising this i decided to stop paying people to cut my hair and just hack at it myself, always turns out...reasonably allright-ish but i wear hats alot anyways so im not too fussed.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »
i've changed the barber/blond chick who cuts my hair multiple times. i never end up liking it.
i even cut it mysef from time to time and that sucks even more.
maybe i'll just let it grow jesus style.

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
Barber?
Go to a salon with a hot stylist, it's worth the extra money for both the quality of haircut and experience. 
And really, who's boobs would you rather stare at in the mirror: a fat, old barber or a crazy chick with a cosmetology "degree"?
This x1000

I used to just buzz my own hair for about 7 years. Last year I decided I wanted it different, so I grew it out for about 9 months.

I didn't know where to get it cut, so my dad suggested I go to the backstreet barbershop he goes to. I already felt it was going to go horribly wrong when I was sat in there waiting. Every other person getting their hair cut in there were middle aged men getting it shaved off.

The barber, an overweight man in his mid fifties who looked like he had spent half his life in prison and the other half stealing peoples cars, bluntly asks me "so how much you want off?"

I tried to explain how I wanted it. He the proceeded to hack the shit out of it, which took him just over three minuets. It was fucking awful. I came out looking like an eleven year old girl.

So after growing it back for another five months I went to this upmarket salon my mum goes to. The girl in there actually listened to how I wanted it and took her time. It came out really well and it wasn't much more expensive than the other place.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »
beeing not so familar with the english terminology, let me say my "barber" actually is a blonde chick in her mid twenties, staring at her boobs is the only way to sit through the dull conversation she tries to keep going.
Here in the states there's your walk-in type places where haircuts are the number one thing the business does (what we would refer to as a barber shop), but we also have a cult of hair salons (sometimes they throw the word spa in there) that mainly caters to ladies getting complicated shit done to their hair for hours on end... things that we as dudes will never really notice because we're dudes. When it comes to getting hair styled, I go to one of those places that's more like the latter... the ladies literally go through hair college and they always hook it up... plus these places are almost always staffed with lots and lots of chicks trying to look hotter than the chicks they work with. Down here, most dudes stay away from those places because everything's so female-centric, but if I were a dude on the prowl, that would be the main selling point to me.

Having said that, I just did the #2 hair chop myself because I literally have an afro every month after a haircut, even if it's trim and neat. My shit just grows like a chia pet. My scalp is loving the feeling of air, and I think I look scary to people that don't know me.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »
cut/shave your own hair/head/pubes
i outsource my pube trimming, but do the rest on my own. ray does a great job down there.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »
in europe, at least where i live you'll have a hard time to find what you guys refer to as a barber shop.
all my live i got my hair cut by dull blonde chicks, or at least guys who look like sacha baron cohen in bruno.
now that you told me there is a life outside of this box, i'm dying to get my hair cut by a fat, greasy ex-prison inmate named charly.

i remember reading somewhere that dylan rieders dad is a barber, i'd totally check his shop out.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:14:48 AM by pica »

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
I have had the same lady cut my hair for the past 15 years or so. She knows how to hook it up. Cheap, and she is a cougar. I have had a bunch of weird phases, and she still just listens and knows what's up.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:13 AM »
The two best hair-cutters I've had have been a punk-rock chick and a gay dude.  If I want it to look a certain way, it usually ends up growing out weirdly, so now I just ask them to make me look good and stay out of the way.

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »
I've used a #2 clipper to buzz my own head for a while now. But I recently went to a barber shop here in Oakland and it was fucking rad. The dudes know how to cut hair, leave my shit all nice and edged up and have interesting conversations. Only 3 barbers in a little hole in the wall, banging out cuts all day. It's expensive as far as I am concerned, $22 + a tip. But I fuckin dug it. They also had my favorite whiskey there and offered me a shot.

Good fuckin times.

http://temescalalleybarbershop.tumblr.com/

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
Nope. Because it's hard to fuck up a number 2 buzz. Follow the Ron Swanson guide to hair cuts and you'll be fine.
^FUCKING YES
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
When I was younger I went to the barber shop right down the street and had my hair cut by a friendly, old alcoholic. Well, after a couple years he began getting the shakes. But he gave decent haircuts and I'd always gone to him, so I kept going for awhile. My friend worked at the drug store next door and he said the guy would come in everyday for a fifth of vodka. The shakes kept getting worse and eventually it was just way too scary for my ears and I've gotten my hair cut by young regular chicks ever since.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:58:23 AM by ChronicBluntSlider »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »
There's a great barber shop where I live. It's called Robs Chop Shop, and its only Rob that works there. The store is filled with great junk from the 50's, rockabilly playing, a fridge full of free beer, magazine racks with:playboy, hustler, penthouse, and gun magazines. $25 a cut and you'll be looking good.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:40 AM »
Thats exactly what I'm afraid of. I've had many bad haircuts, besides getting a #4, I have never been satisfied with a cut. I've been growing out my hair for 6-7 months but since I dont want to deal with a shitty haircut I've decided to shave it off during the summer...then letting it grow out again.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
I back avoiding the whole deal and just learning how to cut your own hair which is how I have been rolling for years. It's not as sketchy as you think, it just takes a little practice to learn what cuts to make to get what you want.  Once I figured out how to use the different guards on clippers, how to trim and fade with scissors, and how to use mirrors to get the back I cut my own shit and it turns out as good as I care to have it.  It's nice because you can do whatever you want to it without having to explain it to somebody.  You also avoid paying a shit ton of money for something decent, don't get your head raped by a cheap haircut place, and don't have to go through the pain in the ass to drive somewhere for a haircut.  Unfortunately, I do miss out on the incidental breast on cheek/shoulder contact that you get from an attractive "stylist".

One of the stand out stories from a haircut place was an incident when the stylist asked if I "wanted to leave my side burns".  Usually if you oblige this means that they just trim them to the same length as the rest of your taper/fade instead of literally shaving down to the skin up past your ear which looks like some dipshit, short shorts wearing, little league coach style.  Anyways I ask her to leave them and never really check the work as I pay and leave.  When I get home I realize that she straight up didn't trim them at all so I basically had these two Hitler mustaches in front of each ear and then a close fade above them.  It looked fucking ridiculous.  They were just these hair squares on the side of my face.  Well played Cost Cutters.

Artistic rendition...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:53:00 AM by Seamus_McShamebag »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
Good old First Choice has never done me wrong.  $25 gets you a haircut and beard trim, tax and 25% tip included.  I just went today, asked for a number 3 on the back and sides, and about an inch short on top.  I feel it complements my head shape rather nicely.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
About 17 years ago i spent about ?25 on "style" that I instantly went home and shaved off. Now the wife sorts it with a buzz number 2. Free + boobs. I get to sweep up though

Jack Klompis

• Rep: 53
  • you want the pen??
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
if uncle enzo is fuckin your shit up, you gotta bail on him and start getting that gino cut

look who's eating dinner at 6 o'clock

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »
if uncle enzo is fuckin your shit up, you gotta bail on him and start getting that gino cut

i feel like i've only ever met uncle enzos. i've never had a good hair cut

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
^FUCKING YES

THIS.

you wouldn't have these pansy-ass problems pica if you just got a man's haircut.

problem solved.

Mat

• Rep: -14
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
I grew my hair out for a number of years, and through not caring for it at all it dreaded and was a mess. I decided to go upscale and get it cut at a salon, by this really cool rockabilly woman. She used to have dreads herself so she knew what she was doing, and made me feel compfortable. the free beer and bubbly doesnt hurt either. I'd say go to the upscale girl stylists, they care about hair alot so they'll take more care of yours

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
grow your hair out to the length you like, then say this exact thing to your barber (and by barber i mean BARBER, not a kooky salon hair stylist):

"#2 on the back and sides, keep the length on top."

grows out perfectly every time without giving you some grom-like feathery bowlcut mess.  the key is starting with clippers, then ending with scissors--barber technique.  salon stylists start with scissors, then end with clippers--always fucks your shit up.