Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 155007 times)

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
where are deluxe pricepoints made? someone told me same factory and wood as the normal ones but they use a cheaper screening method or some shit...sounds made-up so i wanna clarify

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
where are deluxe pricepoints made? someone told me same factory and wood as the normal ones but they use a cheaper screening method or some shit...sounds made-up so i wanna clarify

idk but the PPs definitely feel like cheapish wood to me

Ian Dziallo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

idk but the PPs definitely feel like cheapish wood to me
I had two of the price points and one was pretty good, and the other was complete shit.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Lance or Heavy...sort of an odd question but who determines board specs, is it the company or the woodshop itself? I've often wondered.

A real time example would be Habitat. Forever I've rode their 8.25 shape and their 8.18 shape. Could always count on a consistent shape, mold and specs from one run to the next, even year to year. In this latest Stained Glass series the 8.25 (Janoski) is completely different than all previous 8.25. The nose and tail are way more rounded, the nose is longer and the tail is shorter, like super short. It got me to wondering why stuff like that gets changed up in production and who makes that call.

It could all just be in my head, but I've been getting bummed out on PS Stix boards overall. They've become my least favorite to ride.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
Kind of a long one, but in a nutshell the wood shop has different molds for each size available, the Co. can choose those and if they want something completely different they make there own mold, which isn't cheap....I believe.  Sometimes the reason a board differs is where its pressed in the stack, if it's not pressed singly...1 at a time.  So if you get a board pressed on the top or the bottom of a bunch done at once it'll be different from one in the middle of the same batch.

Your board might have been a differnt mold/shape from the previous ones you've rode.  I know PS uses a stamp with #'s on the top sheet, I have a homie that only goes off that when getting his boards, doesn't matter whos name is on it as long as its the shape he knows.  I also know that Habitat use to shuffle the shapes/names on the shapes around every season dont know if they still do that.

hope this helps

Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
Lance pretty much touched on everything.

Companies pick the shape they want. Depending on the manufacturer, there are tons of options on what you can tweak. I personally wanted a pretty equal length nose and tail, with both having a full roundness to them, and Pennswood was able to do that.

And like Lance said, most manufacturers press multiple boards at one time. Depending on where that particular board was in the stack being pressed, the concave will differ from what deck to the next.

PS Stix boards are pretty consistent from what I know. Solid molds, and CNC cuts. I'm sure Habitat picks their shapes, but I could be wrong.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2014, 05:23:46 AM »
It's been brought up in various threads but no real answer that I can find...what is the difference between Bareback and Generator? Is Generator in the US and Bareback in Mexico? Also, what are Organika (Kayo) boards...Bareback or Generator? I've seen them listed as both. I've heard they are Generator, but they feel completely different than Magenta and Isle, both of which are Generator.

KMAC

« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:16 AM »
It's been brought up in various threads but no real answer that I can find...what is the difference between Bareback and Generator? Is Generator in the US and Bareback in Mexico? Also, what are Organika (Kayo) boards...Bareback or Generator? I've seen them listed as both. I've heard they are Generator, but they feel completely different than Magenta and Isle, both of which are Generator.

im pretty sure its the same woodshop, since they are actually listed at the same address. also pretty sure organika is pressed there since they have the 8.06 size that im pretty sure only generator makes. the reason why they might feel different is because im pretty sure magenta and isle dont use the same molds as organika

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
Bareback maintains an office in the US, but their decks are pressed in Mexico.

KMAC

« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »
generator needs to stop advertising "made in the usa"...

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »
generator needs to stop advertising "made in the usa"...

Yea if that is in fact the truth, then that is pretty fraudulent.  I actually liked the last generator deck I had a lot, and wouldn't necessarily cease buying them because they were made in Mexico.  But I would cease buying them if I found out the company that makes them was blatantly lying to me about their country of origin.

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »
I find Black Label boards and Baker/Deathwish boards concaves feel the exact same on decks 8.475"-8.8", and they're both out of Bareback/Generator right?

KMAC

« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2014, 06:58:28 AM »
I find Black Label boards and Baker/Deathwish boards concaves feel the exact same on decks 8.475"-8.8", and they're both out of Bareback/Generator right?

naw im pretty sure those are both blitz

micky682

« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

naw im pretty sure those are both blitz
Not anymore.

KMAC

« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
If you look at the top of any deck from DLX, which ARE Generator, there's a warning sticker and on the warning sticker it says "Made in Mexico."

on magenta decks there is a sticker that says made in the usa. for the record though generator is awesome wood, and ill back it no matter where its made.

and where are baker/black label pressed if not by blitz?

JBones

« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »
If you look at the top of any deck from DLX, which ARE Generator, there's a warning sticker and on the warning sticker it says "Made in Mexico."

Yeah, they both have that warning sticker.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »
Well all I know is that polar, isle, passport., and magenta all claim generator, and all claim made in USA. No stickers on them to the contrary as far as I have seen or heard. Like I said, it's good wood, but I don't appreciate false advertising.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
on Polar's facebook, they posted a video of the bareback factory and say "this is where we have our boards made, Generator, also known as Bareback"

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
Anyone know where Northern Company are pressed? I went back through this thread but didn't see it listed.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
Anyone know where Northern Company are pressed? I went back through this thread but didn't see it listed.

South Central

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
Well all I know is that polar, isle, passport., and magenta all claim generator, and all claim made in USA. No stickers on them to the contrary as far as I have seen or heard. Like I said, it's good wood, but I don't appreciate false advertising.

on Polar's facebook, they posted a video of the bareback factory and say "this is where we have our boards made, Generator, also known as Bareback"

heard generator and bareback is basically the same company but the name of the two factories. generator would be los angeles, so made in usa. bareback is mexico. would fit this statement:

Oh, and I think that another difference between Bareback and Generator is that Generator handles smaller companies whereas Bareback takes the larger orders.

i guess bigger orders would be fulfilled by bareback, while smaller brands with smaller batches would go generator to advertise themselves as made in usa. then again, if you know how to read a barcode correctly, you might find out where the board really comes from. at least where it got shipped from as a finished product.

JBones

« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »
Skater's Edge in Taunton, MA has shop decks now. They are Pennswood.
I heard Shetler's brands decks will be out of Chapman.

happyduder

• Rep: 1
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
 i picked up a 5 boro deck today and what should be the top of the graffic is facing the tail.  not really a big deal, just kinda threw me off while i was setting it up.   :)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
i picked up a 5 boro deck today and what should be the top of the graffic is facing the tail.  not really a big deal, just kinda threw me off while i was setting it up.   :)

nerding out on this a little:

i once worked in board production, in the sense of printing the graphics on the boards and finish them for sale, stickers and shrinkwrapping and shit. the heat transfer sheets would always have a mark on them showing you which direction they are supposed to face. sometimes the batches were fucked up tho and we would print a whole run of boards facing the wrong direction. in that case, if the graphic would work either way, you'd ask the company if it's still okay. if not, we were fucked and would have to sand down the graphic and print over it again facing the right way.

sometimes in the midst of your workflow you might grab a board and uncosciously flip it around and print it backwards without realizing it and often no one does until it goes to sale. guess you got one like that. i've seen a lot of girl/choco boards printed backwards in shops for some reason. i also own a backwards printed vintage logan earth ski bob biniak pro deck some dumbass left at a shop where the nose faces the right. as far as i know, the nose usually faced left with these.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i once worked in board production, in the sense of printing the graphics on the boards and finish them for sale, stickers and shrinkwrapping and shit. the heat transfer sheets would always have a mark on them showing you which direction they are supposed to face. sometimes the batches were fucked up tho and we would print a whole run of boards facing the wrong direction. in that case, if the graphic would work either way, you'd ask the company if it's still okay. if not, we were fucked and would have to sand down the graphic and print over it again facing the right way.

sometimes in the midst of your workflow you might grab a board and uncosciously flip it around and print it backwards without realizing it and often no one does until it goes to sale. guess you got one like that. i've seen a lot of girl/choco boards printed backwards in shops for some reason. i also own a backwards printed vintage logan earth ski bob biniak pro deck some dumbass left at a shop where the nose faces the right. as far as i know, the nose usually faced left with these.

I had an AWS board that was printed backwards once.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had an AWS board that was printed backwards once.

i had toy machine boards that when you slid the graphic off revealed old foundation graphics i had quite a few i even saw a foundation with the toy machine colors like one offs or something

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Anyone know what woodshop does Send Help? I've skimmed through every page and unless i'm blind, no one has mentioned it.

They have a couple nice looking 8.5's and I am thinking about trying something new.  Just curious as to where it's made.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
Anyone know what woodshop does Send Help? I've skimmed through every page and unless i'm blind, no one has mentioned it.

They have a couple nice looking 8.5's and I am thinking about trying something new.  Just curious as to where it's made.

There's a sticker on every one of their boards that says "Made In The Midwest". The only woodshop I know of anywhere close to the "midwest" is Point Dist. in Las Vegas.

KMAC

« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »

i had one when it was called the high five still and it was good, so id assume theyre still good

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »
Lance - Any truth to Crailtap possibly moving production to PS Stix? With Skate Mental moving over and I heard there was some pic floating around yesterday with Koston cutting his own samples with Paul.

Truth be told, if they are thinking of moving to PS 'You Need a Long Wheelbase' Stix, I'd rather they just stay with their current woodshop.