Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 155014 times)

Lance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
Lance - Any truth to Crailtap possibly moving production to PS Stix? With Skate Mental moving over and I heard there was some pic floating around yesterday with Koston cutting his own samples with Paul.

Truth be told, if they are thinking of moving to PS 'You Need a Long Wheelbase' Stix, I'd rather they just stay with their current woodshop.
Hmmmm, haven't heard anything, I'll dig around and see if I can find any truth to it.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Lance - Any truth to Crailtap possibly moving production to PS Stix? With Skate Mental moving over and I heard there was some pic floating around yesterday with Koston cutting his own samples with Paul.

Truth be told, if they are thinking of moving to PS 'You Need a Long Wheelbase' Stix, I'd rather they just stay with their current woodshop.
[close]
Hmmmm, haven't heard anything, I'll dig around and see if I can find any truth to it.

Here's the 3d pic.  Now I get to try a 3d board.  Love ps stix.

micky682

« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2014, 03:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Here's the 3d pic.  Now I get to try a 3d board.  Love ps stix.

The way the picture was taken makes the board look like a snowboard to me.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:19:52 PM by micky682 »

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
I dunno how much I like PS Stix. I'm still trying to figure it out. Set up a Transportation Unit deck as a cruiser/curb board and the shape, concave, and wheelbase all work well enough for me, but the wood just feels a little...dead? Been on generator and south central recently both of which felt live and snappy as fuck, so I dunno. Similar experiences anyone?

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
I dunno how much I like PS Stix. I'm still trying to figure it out. Set up a Transportation Unit deck as a cruiser/curb board and the shape, concave, and wheelbase all work well enough for me, but the wood just feels a little...dead? Been on generator and south central recently both of which felt live and snappy as fuck, so I dunno. Similar experiences anyone?

Satch - I'm not a fan of PS stuff either. At all. I respect Paul Schmitt for decades of contributions to skateboarding, but I can't ride his boards nor do I even bother trying anymore. As a disclaimer I'm not saying anything negative about his stuff because it's all personal preference, his boards just don't work for me. The wood seems a little soft/flexy, the concave always seem really steep, odd dimensions (8.25x31.5 for example), and he's all about extending wheelbases at the sacrifice of tail length.

Way too many quality choices on the market to waste time or money on PS boards anymore. And it bums me out to think about that Crailtap GO27 shape possibly going away.

EDIT: And it's funny you mention Transportation Unit because I was stoked to support a Russ Pope project but when I saw PS was pressing the boards there wasn't a chance I was getting one.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
That's crazy, I only ever used to hear overwhelmingly positive things about PS stix boards. I know from instagram that PJ has all his boards pressed there, and some people were almost reverent about PS pressed AWS boards. Lately on here I've been reading a lot of negative reviews. I guess I'll just have to grab one and try it myself soon.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
I rarely hear bad stuff about ps stix wood.  Been riding it for ages... since early 90's.  After I got away from Prime wood in 92-93, majority of what I rode was ps stix.  Primarily Alien, some early Girl and Habitat.

I do know Alien and Habitat use both BB and PS and I alternate back and forth between them and to me, they are interchangeable.  A friend of mine who has boards pressed by Pennswood said the woodshops #1 request for shapes is "make it like Alien/Habitat".  That was several years ago.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
I do know Alien and Habitat use both BB and PS and I alternate back and forth between them and to me, they are interchangeable.  A friend of mine who has boards pressed by Pennswood said the woodshops #1 request for shapes is "make it like Alien/Habitat".  That was several years ago.

JMO, you can tell a huge difference between what Habitat/AWS has done at PS and what they have done at BB. The shapes and molds are way more functional out of BB. Some people don't realize that not 100% of DNA boards are PS.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:21:47 PM by heritage »

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
Think?

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Think?

I don't think anyone knows. Presumably China. They'd have to be from China to be selling the boards as cheap as they do.

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »
i HATE boards from ps stix. rode more than my fair share of workshop boards when they were dirt cheap on the website and was still pretty disappointed. 2 weeks and the boards felt DONE. ill take generator over ps anyday of the week.

i also notice that the best all around boards would have to be generator. the weight to strength ratio seems to be perfect and so are the shapes with the perfect amount of flex..

micky682

« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2014, 05:49:22 AM »
Where does Crailtap get their boards done at the moment?

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »

China

micky682

« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

China
What's their manufactures name?

Young Satchel

« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Satch - I'm not a fan of PS stuff either. At all. I respect Paul Schmitt for decades of contributions to skateboarding, but I can't ride his boards nor do I even bother trying anymore. As a disclaimer I'm not saying anything negative about his stuff because it's all personal preference, his boards just don't work for me. The wood seems a little soft/flexy, the concave always seem really steep, odd dimensions (8.25x31.5 for example), and he's all about extending wheelbases at the sacrifice of tail length.

Way too many quality choices on the market to waste time or money on PS boards anymore. And it bums me out to think about that Crailtap GO27 shape possibly going away.

EDIT: And it's funny you mention Transportation Unit because I was stoked to support a Russ Pope project but when I saw PS was pressing the boards there wasn't a chance I was getting one.

Thanks for the feedback man. I would love to continue to support transportation unit. Everything about the brand is really dope, and I like that the graphics are a little outside my usual box (I tend to like photo boards, abstract graphics, and monochrome/minimal stuff).  I probably will continue to get shaped cruiser type decks off em cuz the shorter tail and weird wood are less of an issue for bar/errand boards, but I can't see getting my daily drivers from them after this.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the feedback man. I would love to continue to support transportation unit. Everything about the brand is really dope, and I like that the graphics are a little outside my usual box (I tend to like photo boards, abstract graphics, and monochrome/minimal stuff).  I probably will continue to get shaped cruiser type decks off em cuz the shorter tail and weird wood are less of an issue for bar/errand boards, but I can't see getting my daily drivers from them after this.

Russ Pope has a lot of history in the skate scene, and I am usually down to support anything he is involved with. Unrelated, I saw in the Set Up thread you skated a Northern board awhile back. How did you like that? I don't know too much about them but I know the boards are South Central and I like what they're doing aesthetically and they sponsor Bryan Botelho. Seems like a really solid company.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
anyone know whos using South Central these days?
i remember seeing one once that looked like a nice shape, and a pretty flat concave (yes i like flater concaves)
?

coneklr

« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
i remember seeing one once that looked like a nice shape, and a pretty flat concave (yes i like flater concaves)
?

Politic

Young Satchel

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Russ Pope has a lot of history in the skate scene, and I am usually down to support anything he is involved with. Unrelated, I saw in the Set Up thread you skated a Northern board awhile back. How did you like that? I don't know too much about them but I know the boards are South Central and I like what they're doing aesthetically and they sponsor Bryan Botelho. Seems like a really solid company.

Funny you mention that. You know how many times I've skated that northern board since I got it? 4. Weather has been absolute shit + I got a 10 month old with some pretty serious issues so skateable nights have been few and far between for me since mid November. That said I fuck with them 100%. Sorta the same reason I like TU, and most other companies I give my money to: they have an interesting point of view that's a little bit different from the usual. It helps that they seem like genuinely nice guys, and were born and raised on the same shit I was more or less.  Board is great. South central is a little bit steeper than the generator I had before it and I preferred that, but the wheelbase and nose/tail are super on point.  I see them having a solid future in skateboarding if they keep doing it the way they do it.

Young Satchel

« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
?

See my post right above. But I'd say Snack and Coda deserve your dollars as well. I'm tryna get that snack nude stacks 8.38 next but it's hard to justify buying another deck until spring.

Chris

• Rep: -15
  • bouncin' checks
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »
Expand Quote
?

[close]

See my post right above. But I'd say Snack and Coda deserve your dollars as well. I'm tryna get that snack nude stacks 8.38 next but it's hard to justify buying another deck until spring.

I won't fuck with PS Stix board either. I wasn't into Generator boards for a while, but have found a few I love. Love that Pennswood though.

Bacon and 5 Boro use South Central too right?

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
The Northern Co is south central

4wheels

« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
?

[close]

[close]

I won't fuck with PS Stix board either. I wasn't into Generator boards for a while, but have found a few I love. Love that Pennswood though.

Bacon and 5 Boro use South Central too right?

5boro hasnt for a good little minute. i think bacon does though

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »
I prefer generator, been riding DLX and Polar exclusively. Strong and lasts. I used to really love girl boards over 10 years ago but then they started snapping like toothpicks, that must have been when they switched to china :(

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
My local shop just got some Zero/Mystery boards... all made in China. Since when?

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »
My local shop just got some Zero/Mystery boards... all made in China. Since when?

they had to cut costs somewhere

jexe

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:36 AM »
Does anybody know anything about zorlac boards?

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2014, 04:51:24 AM »
Does anybody know anything about zorlac boards?

I can't say which woodshop. But what I can say is, that they were the worst. My local skateshop had them a few years ago. They made completes and most of them were given back either because the boards, the trucks or both broke. One can assume that the people who bought these completes might have been beginners.
So, don't trust a brand who does trucks and boards.

I have to say that it was a few years back. Zorlac might have stepped their game up, I don't know.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
Re-asking about think???

Dead Art Collective

• Rep: -6
    • Dead Artist Collective avatar image
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
Were more boards made in Canada 10 years ago? I remember the people at the shop always trying to sell me on hard rock canadian maple. Its weird to see that Selfish is the only company rocking Canadian wood now
Wasting my life writing a blog for no one about everything
www.deadartistcollective.com