Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 155030 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
Chapman is good, i like it, a bit more flexy feel than normal, but its kinda more springy than soggy, wood feels fresh. anyone else found this?

edit: the tails are also quite resilient to razoring
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:43:28 PM by perverted super otaku! »

louie_bk

« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
Any brands that use Pennswood or South Central and make shaped boards like the WKND Penelope Cruzer shape?

BMCsteve

« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
Any brands that use Pennswood or South Central and make shaped boards like the WKND Penelope Cruzer shape?

I know that Pennswood does make shaped boards for some companies -

You might want to just hit up Pennswood directly

N.L.

« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »

http://www.surpriseskateboards.com/decks.html

4wheels

« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »
i know south central makes custom shapes so

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »
Does Hopps use Chapman wood? I haven't ridden anything that wasn't Generator/BB in a long time (unless Passport is South Central), but I've been enjoying this board

louie_bk

« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
Thanks for the help, I had a surprise board before but just couldn't get into it, might just have to go with the WKND

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
I like Baker and Deathwish boards, but don't like the graphics.  Are there other companies that uses the same Generator/Mexico wood and concave?  I like the flatter concave and tail.  Dlx seems a lot steeper.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:52:22 PM by Decreed Bratton »

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
I feel like i read a good chunk of this thread, but besides Politic and Northern Co. does anyone know of any other companies using South Central? the politic i'm skating is probably the best board i've had in a longggggg time.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »
I feel like i read a good chunk of this thread, but besides Politic and Northern Co. does anyone know of any other companies using South Central? the politic i'm skating is probably the best board i've had in a longggggg time.
Coda.  Im blanking on others
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

ungzilla

« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »
5Boro might? My memory is failing me.

BMCsteve

« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Anyone know where Jim Greco is getting the Hammers decks made?  I've heard south central but I can't find any confirmation.  Asking because I recently got one and it feels great

dillanharp

« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
Anyone know where Jim Greco is getting the Hammers decks made?  I've heard south central but I can't find any confirmation.  Asking because I recently got one and it feels great
Its whoever is doing hook-ups i believe. Follow the korean food and you will find your answer.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »
5Boro might? My memory is failing me.
They used to.  It's been years.  They are made in China.

N.L.

« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »

Dieta and Bacon out of Unheard Distro

Lance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Snack is SC Wood too.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:24 AM »
I still havent found real confirmation on that, but comparing all the decks I have/had there are several similarities between my hammers deck and the south central ones (POLITIC/BACON).

The 3rd and 5th plies are thinner than the rest, pretty sure south central is the only one with that...

The way the deck is rounded/sanded. There is a hard,squarish edge to the south central decks that I have had, not super smooth and round...

There is a small indentation/hole on the top of the deck in the middle of the rear truck holes.  I haven't seen that on anything else either......  Looks like some sort of alignment mark......

This is just from me playing detective with the 7 or so decks I have had recently plus the other 10 or so broken ones I have collected and have hanging in my garage....

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2015, 06:16:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dieta and Bacon out of Unheard Distro

thanks man, gonna try out a Dieta i think.

neil.

« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
hammers and hookups are usa silk screened
habitat and im pretty sure the new aliens will be made by tum yeto
welcome is ps stix
fucking awesome (and probably hockey) is the same as the old alien boards (before they shut down and re opened via tum yeto)
control does selfish and studio and pretty much every small board brand and shop decks in the province of quebec in canada
control also does ambition snowskates
premium is in california now
zero and mystery was made in china but now zero is dwindle
palace is dwindle
im sure 3d and skate mental is made at the same place as girl
half of element/plan b is ps stix while the rest is china

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »
A friend is looking into getting some boards pressed here in Canada, are there any other wood shops that haven't been mentioned in this thread ?

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2015, 11:50:03 PM »

The 3rd and 5th plies are thinner than the rest, pretty sure south central is the only one with that...

The way the deck is rounded/sanded. There is a hard,squarish edge to the south central decks that I have had, not super smooth and round...

There is a small indentation/hole on the top of the deck in the middle of the rear truck holes.  I haven't seen that on anything else either......  Looks like some sort of alignment mark......

Now i'm wondering if Active Ride Shop gets their shop decks made at South Central. The one I had had the squarish edge, thinner third and fifth plies(in this case, they were the dyed plies), and the little indentation on the top of the deck. All I know for sure, is that if you have to get any shop deck, those are the ones to get. That thing lasted longer than some of my branded decks,  and it didn't razor tail very fast at all.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #261 on: February 11, 2015, 05:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Now i'm wondering if Active Ride Shop gets their shop decks made at South Central. The one I had had the squarish edge, thinner third and fifth plies(in this case, they were the dyed plies), and the little indentation on the top of the deck. All I know for sure, is that if you have to get any shop deck, those are the ones to get. That thing lasted longer than some of my branded decks,  and it didn't razor tail very fast at all.
Hah, kind of funny that this came up, yesterday I was browsing a local shop and one of the employees told me that they got someone new to make their boards now, and that they're USA made now. I asked him who made them but he said they were keeping it secret (something that a lot of shops do, which I think is kind of lame. The customer deserves to know exactly what they're buying. What do they have to hide? If you back your own product then you should have nothing to hide). I bought one anyways because I liked the shape and it was a good price. After reading the last reply in this thread I checked out the plies on the deck and the third and fifth ply were definitely thinner than the rest. The fourth ply is a different color too. That and plus their was an indent on the top ply in the middle of the mounting holes, but I'm pretty sure it was on the front and not the back though. I think I may have just found out their secret if those facts are indeed correct.

BMCsteve

« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:20 AM »
It's really weird that so many brands are secretive about who presses their boards.  There are a lot of brands that I would try out if I knew who their woodshop was.  Especially a shop brand

Uinta High

• Rep: 99
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2015, 07:12:50 AM »
hammers and hookups are usa silk screened
habitat and im pretty sure the new aliens will be made by tum yeto
welcome is ps stix
fucking awesome (and probably hockey) is the same as the old alien boards (before they shut down and re opened via tum yeto)
control does selfish and studio and pretty much every small board brand and shop decks in the province of quebec in canada
control also does ambition snowskates
premium is in california now
zero and mystery was made in china but now zero is dwindle
palace is dwindle
im sure 3d and skate mental is made at the same place as girl
half of element/plan b is ps stix while the rest is china

Some of what you write is wrong. Habitat and Fucking Awesome are both PS Stix, 100%. It's been posted many times here by folks in the know. Someone even posted how you can identify.

pennswood

• Rep: 20
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
the third and fifth plys are the crossplys.
these are the two plys in a layup that the grain runs across the board.
just about every woodshop uses thinner crossplys.
1/20th or 1/24th thick
the strength of a board is needed in the length.
plys 1-2-4-6-7 have the grain running from nose to tail.
these are 1/16th thick.

the indent in the top is how they center up the drilling of the holes.
again a number of woodshops use these methods.

timv

« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2015, 04:43:43 PM »
the third and fifth plys are the crossplys.
these are the two plys in a layup that the grain runs across the board.
just about every woodshop uses thinner crossplys.
1/20th or 1/24th thick
the strength of a board is needed in the length.
plys 1-2-4-6-7 have the grain running from nose to tail.
these are 1/16th thick.

the indent in the top is how they center up the drilling of the holes.
again a number of woodshops use these methods.

Do any other USA woodshops use the indent?
My chapman (hopps) doesn't have it neither does my scumco (pennswood).  My politic (south central) does.  not sure about the other smaller us woodshops.

BMCsteve

« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2015, 06:03:08 AM »
I finally confirmed what a couple of you already figured out, that Hammers decks are made by South Central.  

At first I skated the board for a couple days and the shape was just to foreign to me.  A lot of concave, pressed up in the center and a slightly pointy nose and tail.  I swapped it out but have sense gone back to it this week and now I'm really digging it.  

From what I've seen it's definitely a different shape than the other South Central brands

Here's a quick shot of the top to try and show the shape  

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:05:04 AM by BMCsteve »

timv

« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2015, 06:55:59 AM »
Yeah, I have the hammers orgy deck waiting to skate and the nose and tail are definitely more pointy I guess you'd say vs the politics and bacon decks I have.

The others have a similar shape to anti-hero to me.
I finally confirmed what a couple of you already figured out, that Hammers decks are made by South Central.  

At first I skated the board for a couple days and the shape was just to foreign to me.  A lot of concave, pressed up in the center and a slightly pointy nose and tail.  I swapped it out but have sense gone back to it this week and now I'm really digging it.  

From what I've seen it's definitely a different shape than the other South Central brands

Here's a quick shot of the top to try and show the shape  

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2015, 07:31:46 AM »
^^^
Oh man, Bacon.... I remember this kid I knew had one for a bit back in like 2012, and it had the steepest, longest nose I had ever seen on a board, like even still to this day. Such a gnarly shape, hah.

timv

« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:17 AM »
^^^
Oh man, Bacon.... I remember this kid I knew had one for a bit back in like 2012, and it had the steepest, longest nose I had ever seen on a board, like even still to this day. Such a gnarly shape, hah.

Yeah the bacon deck I have is 8.5" but pretty long, has a 15" wb compared to the politics 8.5" ive skated that have 14.5" its a pretty long board.