Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 155012 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »
Anyone know of a South Central board that is 8.38 x 32?  Pretty much every one that I've found (Politic, Bacon, Northern Co, Hammers) is 31.5 which seems crazy short

neil.

« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2015, 05:16:21 PM »
Expand Quote
hammers and hookups are usa silk screened
habitat and im pretty sure the new aliens will be made by tum yeto
welcome is ps stix
fucking awesome (and probably hockey) is the same as the old alien boards (before they shut down and re opened via tum yeto)
control does selfish and studio and pretty much every small board brand and shop decks in the province of quebec in canada
control also does ambition snowskates
premium is in california now
zero and mystery was made in china but now zero is dwindle
palace is dwindle
im sure 3d and skate mental is made at the same place as girl
half of element/plan b is ps stix while the rest is china
[close]

Some of what you write is wrong. Habitat and Fucking Awesome are both PS Stix, 100%. It's been posted many times here by folks in the know. Someone even posted how you can identify.

yeah not everything i said is 100% accurate i might be wrong... but thanks for correcting !

neil.

« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
A friend is looking into getting some boards pressed here in Canada, are there any other wood shops that haven't been mentioned in this thread ?

depends the province i know the province of quebec theres 2

Basingstoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
Control and Woodchuck ? any more in any of the other provinces.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »
olive in edmonton http://www.oliveskateboards.com
folk in vancouver http://www.folkskateboards.com

dillanharp

« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
Anyone know of a South Central board that is 8.38 x 32?  Pretty much every one that I've found (Politic, Bacon, Northern Co, Hammers) is 31.5 which seems crazy short

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
welcome is ps stix
fucking awesome (and probably hockey) is the same as the old alien boards (before they shut down and re opened via tum yeto)
control does selfish and studio and pretty much every small board brand and shop decks in the province of quebec in canada
palace is dwindle
[close]

Some of what you write is wrong. Habitat and Fucking Awesome are both PS Stix, 100%. It's been posted many times here by folks in the know. Someone even posted how you can identify.

Yep. Alien is PS too. 3D is also PS Stix while Skate Mental is the same as Crailtap.

BMCsteve

« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Perfect dozen

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2015, 07:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
welcome is ps stix
palace is dwindle
[close]

[close]

Yep. Alien is PS too. 3D is also PS Stix while Skate Mental is the same as Crailtap.
new 3ds are back to china skatemental wood.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
welcome is ps stix
palace is dwindle
[close]

[close]

[close]
new 3ds are back to china skatemental wood.

Just from perusing online shops and looking at top plies of the latest 3d's, it looks like they are not ps stix. Using multiple factories.

Basingstoke

« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, Folk had been mentioned before wasn't sure if if Olive was still around (a friend may have even been sponsored by them). Don't suppose anyone is selling a heat transfer machine or knows of anyone who is ?

Prince Nelson

« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2015, 07:07:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks, Folk had been mentioned before wasn't sure if if Olive was still around (a friend may have even been sponsored by them). Don't suppose anyone is selling a heat transfer machine or knows of anyone who is ?

http://www.ronmillsandcompany.com/skateboard_manufacturing/heat_transfer_machine/

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #282 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
so whats the consensus on ps stix wood? good or no good? im digging mother and want to try one out. I normally get generator or penns wood

Prince Nelson

« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
so whats the consensus on ps stix wood? good or no good? im digging mother and want to try one out. I normally get generator or penns wood

They're good. Sometimes they get soggy a little quickly though. Other than that, they feel great and the shapes are very functional.

Basingstoke

« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »
Thanks ! TAFKAP

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2015, 12:25:57 AM »
Are boards without a stained bottom ply cheaper to produce? Not sure why but I they always feel more price point to me...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

ZEBRA

« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »
Are boards without a stained bottom ply cheaper to produce? Not sure why but I they always feel more price point to me...

I think they are. I was looking up woodshops and how much it would be to get boards made, and I swear there was different prices for having top and bottom layers stained. Plus, most price point and shop decks always seem to be unstained.

ZEBRA

« Reply #287 on: May 15, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »
Hey, so my friend just got a Toy Machine and it looks and feels like PS Stix. Reminds me of an Alien board I had a few years ago. Looks really good. Totally different shape than previous Toy Machine's I've seen before. Nice full nose and tail. It looked perfect.

When Habitat and Alien went to Tum Yeto, did they switch to PS Stix?? I'm seeing some people saying the have. So I'm assuming they're all PS now.

Dengles

« Reply #288 on: May 15, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
^ I have heard rumors of of Alien being PsStix now but I'm usually not the best about knowing about that.

Also does any one have any tips for sanding off graphics?  I want to get a Baker board because I like the shape and the wood but like I really don't like Baker Graphics so I just want to turn it into a blank deck pretty much. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #289 on: May 15, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »
Hey, so my friend just got a Toy Machine and it looks and feels like PS Stix. Reminds me of an Alien board I had a few years ago. Looks really good. Totally different shape than previous Toy Machine's I've seen before. Nice full nose and tail. It looked perfect.

When Habitat and Alien went to Tum Yeto, did they switch to PS Stix?? I'm seeing some people saying the have. So I'm assuming they're all PS now.

I think each company does what they do....ie toy is bb/generator.......alien is PS Stix.....foundation....Watson still?

JAesop

« Reply #290 on: May 15, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think each company does what they do....ie toy is bb/generator.......alien is PS Stix.....foundation....Watson still?

Toy uses other wood shops on some series.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #291 on: May 15, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
Expand Quote

The 3rd and 5th plies are thinner than the rest, pretty sure south central is the only one with that...

The way the deck is rounded/sanded. There is a hard,squarish edge to the south central decks that I have had, not super smooth and round...

There is a small indentation/hole on the top of the deck in the middle of the rear truck holes.  I haven't seen that on anything else either......  Looks like some sort of alignment mark......
[close]

Now i'm wondering if Active Ride Shop gets their shop decks made at South Central. The one I had had the squarish edge, thinner third and fifth plies(in this case, they were the dyed plies), and the little indentation on the top of the deck. All I know for sure, is that if you have to get any shop deck, those are the ones to get. That thing lasted longer than some of my branded decks,  and it didn't razor tail very fast at all.

Active is DLX

ZEBRA

« Reply #292 on: May 15, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »
^ I have heard rumors of of Alien being PsStix now but I'm usually not the best about knowing about that.

Also does any one have any tips for sanding off graphics?  I want to get a Baker board because I like the shape and the wood but like I really don't like Baker Graphics so I just want to turn it into a blank deck pretty much. 

Sandpaper is better than paint thinner, I've heard. When you sand off everything, you gotta re-seal it so it doesn't get soggy and shit though. Another thing I've heard...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #293 on: May 15, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed ie price points.....but generally ^^. which is not what most people think. 

Toy uses other wood shops on some series.

Dengles

« Reply #294 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sandpaper is better than paint thinner, I've heard. When you sand off everything, you gotta re-seal it so it doesn't get soggy and shit though. Another thing I've heard...
Yeah sandpaper is what I would use, I want to find the right product to reseal it though which Google is not providing. 

ZEBRA

« Reply #295 on: May 15, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yeah sandpaper is what I would use, I want to find the right product to reseal it though which Google is not providing. 

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, or whatever hardware store that's in your area that sells paint. They'll guide you in the right direction and get you what you need.

Dengles

« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2015, 12:56:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, or whatever hardware store that's in your area that sells paint. They'll guide you in the right direction and get you what you need.
Thanks dude looks like I have some new projects for this summer. 

ZEBRA

« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Be sure to post your projects!!! I'm planning on finally starting a project this summer. Would be cool to see what you're using.

Dengles

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2015, 05:23:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Be sure to post your projects!!! I'm planning on finally starting a project this summer. Would be cool to see what you're using.
For sure if I get around to it it'll probably be in July.  I'm away from home till the 19th and I have a deck that I'm setting up when I get back. 

JAesop

« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2015, 07:06:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
For sure if I get around to it it'll probably be in July.  I'm away from home till the 19th and I have a deck that I'm setting up when I get back. 

I've used nail polish remover which I guess is Acetone, pretty much the same as paint thinner. It took the paint right off. Don't use spray paint, too sticky. You're best bet may be a spray lacquer like Krylon clear spray laquer. It's the secret " Salba Sauce" pool guys spray on pool coping. I don't know how it would be on wood. Your best bet might just be rails.