Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 155016 times)

Dengles

Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ I have heard rumors of of Alien being PsStix now but I'm usually not the best about knowing about that.

Also does any one have any tips for sanding off graphics?  I want to get a Baker board because I like the shape and the wood but like I really don't like Baker Graphics so I just want to turn it into a blank deck pretty much. 
[close]

Sandpaper is better than paint thinner, I've heard. When you sand off everything, you gotta re-seal it so it doesn't get soggy and shit though. Another thing I've heard...
[close]
Yeah sandpaper is what I would use, I want to find the right product to reseal it though which Google is not providing. 
[close]

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, or whatever hardware store that's in your area that sells paint. They'll guide you in the right direction and get you what you need.
[close]
Thanks dude looks like I have some new projects for this summer. 
[close]

Be sure to post your projects!!! I'm planning on finally starting a project this summer. Would be cool to see what you're using.
[close]
For sure if I get around to it it'll probably be in July.  I'm away from home till the 19th and I have a deck that I'm setting up when I get back. 
[close]

I've used nail polish remover which I guess is Acetone, pretty much the same as paint thinner. It took the paint right off. Don't use spray paint, too sticky. You're best bet may be a spray lacquer like Krylon clear spray laquer. It's the secret " Salba Sauce" pool guys spray on pool coping. I don't know how it would be on wood. Your best bet might just be rails.
Oh I'm not a fan of rails I've tried a few brands and they were just dead weight, but this isn't for making the board slide better I just don't want a Baker graphic but I like their boards and I've also been a fan of the stained wood look lately. 

BMCsteve

« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ I have heard rumors of of Alien being PsStix now but I'm usually not the best about knowing about that.

Also does any one have any tips for sanding off graphics?  I want to get a Baker board because I like the shape and the wood but like I really don't like Baker Graphics so I just want to turn it into a blank deck pretty much.  
[close]

Sandpaper is better than paint thinner, I've heard. When you sand off everything, you gotta re-seal it so it doesn't get soggy and shit though. Another thing I've heard...
[close]
Yeah sandpaper is what I would use, I want to find the right product to reseal it though which Google is not providing.  
[close]

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, or whatever hardware store that's in your area that sells paint. They'll guide you in the right direction and get you what you need.
[close]
Thanks dude looks like I have some new projects for this summer.  
[close]

Be sure to post your projects!!! I'm planning on finally starting a project this summer. Would be cool to see what you're using.
[close]
For sure if I get around to it it'll probably be in July.  I'm away from home till the 19th and I have a deck that I'm setting up when I get back.  
[close]

I've used nail polish remover which I guess is Acetone, pretty much the same as paint thinner. It took the paint right off. Don't use spray paint, too sticky. You're best bet may be a spray lacquer like Krylon clear spray laquer. It's the secret " Salba Sauce" pool guys spray on pool coping. I don't know how it would be on wood. Your best bet might just be rails.
[close]
Oh I'm not a fan of rails I've tried a few brands and they were just dead weight, but this isn't for making the board slide better I just don't want a Baker graphic but I like their boards and I've also been a fan of the stained wood look lately.  

Just a suggestion, if you like stained wood and quality, check out the current series from Dieta (http://www.dietaskateboards.com/about/).  Great company to support, simple graphics and the boards are South Central so you know they're quality and will last a long ass time

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:22:20 AM by BMCsteve »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
Street Plant - PS Stix?

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
Street Plant - PS Stix?

Yeah, have seen photos of Vallely working on shapes at the factory

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
Street Plant - PS Stix?

Sadly yes (not a fan of PSstix, though my current habitat is better than anything I've skated out of PS)

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
What's the wood shop that Dwindle used to use before they moved to China? Is it Prime?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

MonistatOne

« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
So is 5boro south central or china? the last one I got was defective; when putting both feet on the nose and tail and hopping lightly, the board would flex to where the ends of the nose and tail almost went below the middle of the board.

Why does this happen? moisture getting absorbed into the plies somehow? Do boards from China that're shipped to the US have more of a chance of being defective/having moisture seep in? I would guess that getting a board that's pressed as close to you as possible would be ideal, quality-wise (?)

Are there any other east coast woodshops besides chapman and pennswood? what brands does pennswood do besides scumco?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
So is 5boro south central or china? the last one I got was defective; when putting both feet on the nose and tail and hopping lightly, the board would flex to where the ends of the nose and tail almost went below the middle of the board.

Why does this happen? moisture getting absorbed into the plies somehow? Do boards from China that're shipped to the US have more of a chance of being defective/having moisture seep in? I would guess that getting a board that's pressed as close to you as possible would be ideal, quality-wise (?)

Are there any other east coast woodshops besides chapman and pennswood? what brands does pennswood do besides scumco?
Dogg that's the bamboo and the rice leaves in there making the board do the ancient tea picking dance.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
I think with anything in China despite what companies say.....you just don't know....

ZEBRA

« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »
Nothing scientific. China just uses shitty wood.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »
I think with anything in China despite what companies say.....you just don't know....

This is pretty true. No one here wants to eat or buy things from the mother land if they can avoid it...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2015, 05:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is pretty true. No one here wants to eat or buy things from the mother land if they can avoid it...
i mean, i personally don't do "Authentic chinese cuisine" like fucking chicken feet and shit. I'd love to go live in China though and be deduced to eating shit like that. well. tofu i bet is abundant. still. Saporo a good beer? i think it's maybe japanese but my buddy was saying you got it over there. or beers are weaker in China. i dunno. you got red wine at least? i prefer red wine to be honest. maybe alcohol is just stupid american shit, you guys don't fuck up on the opiates. that ol real shit. the "china white". i'm a little beer'd out this morning but i'd chase the dragon if that shit was infront of me.

In all seriousness though, Dwindle is made in China and they got some alright boards. I wouldn't just do the Resin7/normal 7 ply that they do but I had an "impact" resin7 with the two carbon fiber circles and that shit held up for a while. I'm into it. They do 8 ply boards too.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »

There's 2 forum members that have companies pressed by pennswood.

Sleep https://instagram.com/sleepskateboards/

and

Heavy https://instagram.com/heavyskateboards/

There was a 3rd (Open skateboards) but nothing of theirs has been updated in years. I assume they're done.

Pennswood is even a poster here. You could ask him directly

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »
I wish more companies were open about this (though many would catch shit and lose sale over the made in china thing).

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »

To answer your first question, yes 5boro is now manufactured in the girl factory in China. I think they have been doing it for a while now. I really wanted to get one of the vhs series boards but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Considering they are based in NYC it's kinda whack they don't use Chapman, not saying south central isn't great. Shit even Zoo still uses chapman which is why it blows my mind 5 Boro couldn't keep it local. 5 Boro can't have a ton of overhead considering Steve runs it out of his loft and probably doesn't pay his pros a huge salary or they may just get royalties so they cant use that at an excuse for manufacturing in China.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's 2 forum members that have companies pressed by pennswood.

Sleep https://instagram.com/sleepskateboards/

and

Heavy https://instagram.com/heavyskateboards/

There was a 3rd (Open skateboards) but nothing of theirs has been updated in years. I assume they're done.

Pennswood is even a poster here. You could ask him directly

Is Heavy still a thing? Their instagram hasn't been updated in forever, and I haven't seen any posts from them recently. Oh shit, and apparently their site is dead, RIP Heavy. I dug Open when they were around, that Japan Relief board was one of my favorites. I still have a ton of their stickers from when I bought some Indys off of pandarelated.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
What's the wood shop that Dwindle used to use before they moved to China? Is it Prime?

That's right, believe they got sold to the backers behind Bummer High.

MonistatOne

« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

To answer your first question, yes 5boro is now manufactured in the girl factory in China. I think they have been doing it for a while now. I really wanted to get one of the vhs series boards but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Considering they are based in NYC it's kinda whack they don't use Chapman, not saying south central isn't great. Shit even Zoo still uses chapman which is why it blows my mind 5 Boro couldn't keep it local. 5 Boro can't have a ton of overhead considering Steve runs it out of his loft and probably doesn't pay his pros a huge salary or they may just get royalties so they cant use that at an excuse for manufacturing in China.

Thanks for clearing that up. Think I'll go with chapman/pennswood from now on (i'm on the east coast); it's a real bummer getting a defective board. Still dig 5boro as a company, just won't be buying their product any longer.

Also- talked to Pennswood, and some of the brands they do, in addition to scumco, include:

shipyard
cockfight
american nomad
lost souls
terror of planet x
spectrum
weird wood
all i need
gnarhammered
chophouse
conspiracy

+ more

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's right, believe they got sold to the backers behind Bummer High.

That's right. The backer is the guy who does goodwood. Never skated one but it's the price point brand at Zumiez.

http://www.skateseasondistribution.com/

https://instagram.com/primeskateboardfactory/

Also, Jeremy Wray is getting some re-issue boards done there.

drasp

• Rep: 4
« Reply #320 on: October 03, 2015, 06:08:44 AM »
I was told Surprise decks are pressed at a small wood shop in LA called AV owned by the former floor manager of the old Prime Wood.  Anyone of other decks being pressed there?

Hannity

« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2015, 10:08:06 AM »
anyone know where AO is getting 917 decks from? also, i feel like i heard somewhere that Mother/Quasi is mexico wood (either PS or BBS)?

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
anyone know where AO is getting 917 decks from? also, i feel like i heard somewhere that Mother/Quasi is mexico wood (either PS or BBS)?
917 and Mother/Quasi are both PS Stix

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
Do you guys know who makes Skatemafia boards?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »
^if i am not totally wrong i read on here that skatemafia is bareback/ generator?!

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
Are Habitat and Alien pressed at Watson Laminates since they're under Tum Yeto now?
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

BMCsteve

« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=63847.msg2404265#msg2404265 date=1447439710
Are Habitat and Alien pressed at Watson Laminates since they're under Tum Yeto now?

Both are PS Stix

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=63847.msg2404265#msg2404265 date=1447439710
Expand Quote
[close]

Both are PS Stix

It looks like the majority of other Tumyeto brands (Foundation and Toy) are done by PS and generator now. You can look for a watson sticker on the tops but you won't find many. Maybe on a few Toy Machine team boards

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Foundation_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKFOUND.html

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKTOYMACH.html

Dima

« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
Anyone heard of a woodshop called Excel?

Been exclusively skating boards made by them for a good while now and have nothing but good things to say about them planks but was just interested where they from?

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #329 on: November 13, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Both are PS Stix
[close]

It looks like the majority of other Tumyeto brands (Foundation and Toy) are done by PS and generator now. You can look for a watson sticker on the tops but you won't find many. Maybe on a few Toy Machine team boards

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Foundation_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKFOUND.html

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Skateboard_Decks/catpage-DKTOYMACH.html

Thats really a bummer, was kinda hoping they'd finally be U.S. based now.
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.