Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 155001 times)

Jake From State Farm

Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #450 on: June 27, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Is Hardtimes made at Pennswood?

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #451 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:13 AM »
The National are pressed by Jart.

Thanks! I will never buy a National board anymore!

BMCsteve

« Reply #452 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:11 AM »
Over the last year I've realized that I prefer PS boards.  To me they feel the best since they have a little give and flex to them. 

The disadvantage to this obviously is that they get soggy quicker but I rarely skate anything until it's lifespan is up anyways.

If I were on more of a budget I would only skate South Central or Pennswood.  You'll likely get sick of skating the board before it gives on you

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #453 on: June 28, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
Over the last year I've realized that I prefer PS boards.  To me they feel the best since they have a little give and flex to them. 

The disadvantage to this obviously is that they get soggy quicker but I rarely skate anything until it's lifespan is up anyways.

If I were on more of a budget I would only skate South Central or Pennswood.  You'll likely get sick of skating the board before it gives on you

I once brought out a used Scum Co. after about half a year to skate it again and it still felt solid... I also had a SC deck on a curb-crusher/cruiser style set up for about 2.5 years and it felt more solid than other woods' new decks
hardly art, hardly starving

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #454 on: June 28, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »

it's not a very popular opinion on this board but I agree. I like how light and poppy PS wood is. the US woodshop decks to me have felt a little heavy. which sucks because I want to skate US-made stuff.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #455 on: June 28, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »
Expand Quote
The National are pressed by Jart.
[close]
Thanks! I will never buy a National board anymore!

I ask genuinely, what is wrong with Jart boards? I am in the US but just bought 2 National boards from Native. I haven't skated them yet (still on the injured list) but they feel pretty good. One is the 'mellow' concave, the other is the 'steep' concave.

I do agree with Steve's point about PS boards. They feel good while they are fresh. FWIW, I seem to break more PS boards than any other. At the end of the day I think BBS/GEN is still my consistent favorite.

EDIT: Not just specifically quality related, but I like BBS/GEN concave style a little more than I like PS concave.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:12:36 AM by heritage »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #456 on: June 28, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
PS boards are hit and miss, soggy, dead, sometimes crispy...

BBS/Gen are more consistent but they never feel cripsy...

I prefer rigid / crispy boards with little flex, which is why I like 'china wood' (NHS).

stophatin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #457 on: July 10, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
Dont forget sk8mafia is made by Zorlac.

BMCsteve

« Reply #458 on: July 15, 2016, 07:00:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Pennswood seems to be scumco only? Short wheelbases...who else presses there? HEAvy is dead it seems

SC has plenty of options.

I'm really chasing that squarescicle quasi 8.25" shape but not PS stix :(
[close]

Northern Co are going to do one more run of South Central boards, then they're looking at going with Pennswood. Their wheelbases with SC are usually are a little longer than 14".

I really hope they keep the same dimensions if they go to Pennswood.  I just ordered another Northern Co 8.5 which is probably my favorite 8.5 ever.  Full nose and tail with a 14.5" wheelbase.  If they move to a 14" wheelbase at Pennswood like Scumco and Terror of Planet X, I won't be able to support them any more

micky682

« Reply #459 on: July 15, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
Any South Central decks with mellow concave?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #460 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pennswood seems to be scumco only? Short wheelbases...who else presses there? HEAvy is dead it seems

[close]

Northern Co are going to do one more run of South Central boards, then they're looking at going with Pennswood. Their wheelbases with SC are usually are a little longer than 14".
[close]

I really hope they keep the same dimensions if they go to Pennswood.  I just ordered another Northern Co 8.5 which is probably my favorite 8.5 ever.  Full nose and tail with a 14.5" wheelbase.  If they move to a 14" wheelbase at Pennswood like Scumco and Terror of Planet X, I won't be able to support them any more

Scumco has been using a 14.25 on their 8.5s now

Still too small. I want 14.75 or 15 ideally.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #461 on: July 17, 2016, 09:03:15 AM »
Dont forget sk8mafia is made by Zorlac.

Wow- The ultimate collision of "Hesh" and "Fresh".

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #462 on: July 17, 2016, 05:37:33 PM »
Any South Central decks with mellow concave?
northern co.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #463 on: July 17, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
speaking of northern co, does anybody know the dimensions of the 8.75 shape they have? i looked on their website and they didnt have it on their.

BMCsteve

« Reply #464 on: July 18, 2016, 06:50:39 AM »
speaking of northern co, does anybody know the dimensions of the 8.75 shape they have? i looked on their website and they didnt have it on their.

14.75 wb.  same shape as their 8.5 - full nose and tail

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: July 21, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
Sk8 mafia made by Zorlac? WTF, I'm confused.

BMCsteve

« Reply #466 on: July 21, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
Sk8 mafia made by Zorlac? WTF, I'm confused.

Sk8Mafia is Bareback....not sure where they got Zorlac

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
correct me if i'm wrong, but here's what i've gathered so far:

PS Stix: Quasi, Welcome, some Alien/Habitat, FA, Hockey, 917, Program (Siebens new thing)

Bareback/Generator: Polar, Isle, DLX (Real, Antihero, Krooked), Killing Floor, Baker, deathwish, slave, all kayo brands (?) many others

Chapman: Coda, Zoo, Hopps, Traffic, Supreme, Alltimers?

Pennswood: Scumco

South Central: Bacon, Dieta, Politic, Northern Co, Hammers
[close]
[close]
traffic is generator now.
[close]

I'm a fan of stiff/rigid wood - Santa Cruz, SC, etc.
Not a fan of heavy, soggy feeling (not a fan of DLX anymore, they've sort of a dull feel, PS is bleh

Yup, Heavy is dead.

And yes, Pennswood has extremely small wheelbases. My favorite manufacturer I have used has been Chapman as far as the wood goes. I just always liked that Pennswood screen prints the graphics.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #468 on: July 27, 2016, 09:01:23 PM »
My friend wants to pull the trigger on a Rip N Dip deck. Anybody know who presses them?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Jordick

« Reply #469 on: July 27, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »
My friend wants to pull the trigger on a Rip N Dip deck. Anybody know who presses them?
Pulling the trigger on him would be the right solution.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #470 on: July 27, 2016, 10:01:29 PM »
I don't think the new Alien Workshop decks are PS Stix anymore. Now that they are independent and back in Dayton I think they switched. New boards have a black warning sticker and don't seem to say "Made in Mexico" anymore. Anyone know who could be making them now?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #471 on: July 28, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »
Anyone know who presses Lurkville and Meow?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2016, 02:14:30 AM »
Anyone know who presses Lurkville and Meow?

Lurkville is Bareback, Meow is PS Stix

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #473 on: August 02, 2016, 07:24:12 AM »
After being pretty devoted to generator/bbs, I think i actually might like Dwindle better(the regular resin ones)... more crispy and lighter snappy pop feeling, in combo with thunders its a real nice ride. With Xen on this one

Howie

• Rep: 9
« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2016, 03:40:01 AM »
After being pretty devoted to generator/bbs, I think i actually might like Dwindle better(the regular resin ones)... more crispy and lighter snappy pop feeling, in combo with thunders its a real nice ride. With Xen on this one

Hmm that's interesting. I've been riding DLX for ever now but I've been thinking of trying out an enjoi board for a while. Might have to give it a shot.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #475 on: August 03, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hmm that's interesting. I've been riding DLX for ever now but I've been thinking of trying out an enjoi board for a while. Might have to give it a shot.
I'd say give it a go, i know there is a whole China wood stigma, which was why I also avoided them, but they are very nice boards imo

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #476 on: August 03, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
I don't think the new Alien Workshop decks are PS Stix anymore. Now that they are independent and back in Dayton I think they switched. New boards have a black warning sticker and don't seem to say "Made in Mexico" anymore. Anyone know who could be making them now?

sorry i dont have an answer to reply but im wondering the same, before alien and habitat went to ps stix/tumyeto who pressed them before? cause i really liked the shape and wood and always heard good things about them but was too late to actually have my own at the time before the move.
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: August 03, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'd say give it a go, i know there is a whole China wood stigma, which was why I also avoided them, but they are very nice boards imo

You might like it, you might not.

Stepping on a PStix or DLX board after a Dwindle/Creature/SC/Older Bloodwizard (I swear they switch to bbs or whoever is doing Primitive - no sticker on the top, just the little divot, whatever that's for) feels like stepping on a waterlogged board; that's not to say those boards aren't just fine to skate but there is noticeable difference if you give a shit about such things =D

Last Resin 7 board I rode (Zero, before they announced their sell ou...switch) I really liked; I've never ridden a 'regular' dwindle board.

That workshop, Generator maybe?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:48:58 PM by Xen »

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #478 on: August 04, 2016, 01:38:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sorry i dont have an answer to reply but im wondering the same, before alien and habitat went to ps stix/tumyeto who pressed them before? cause i really liked the shape and wood and always heard good things about them but was too late to actually have my own at the time before the move.

i think alien is made PS stix for 10 years or something now- i once read on their instagram, that the visitor graphik and the shape on that board is a team favourite for the last 8 or so years.

i see the sticker being a different color, but it still has something embossed at the front truck holes- wich usually means it is PS stix- FA/HOCKEY and habitat have a similar embossed thing.

on the habitat homepage you can see a graphic where it says that they sit in ohio but the boards are made in mexico.

Toydivision

« Reply #479 on: August 04, 2016, 01:58:12 AM »
Anyone skated a Pass~Port deck? How was it? What's the shape like? What's the most similar brand to Pass~Port in how the deck feels?