Author Topic: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location  (Read 154995 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Deck Brands By Woodshop and Location
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=63847.msg2618959#msg2618959 date=1489236659
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any one know anything about quincy woodrights? Small local brand is using them to press their decks and I've never even heard of them.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Very interesting, I wonder why wknd ever left generator for ps?

They had it so good with generator in the beginning and doing shaped boards for Jesse Alba but then all of a sudden the switch got me rethinking if I'm down for a board cause yeah...shapes

Hopefully they joined passport and go back to generator, I want that wknd logo board that seems to have a shape but it might be a gamble
[close]

How is Generator today? Havent skated
Generator for years - is polar still producing
at Generator- have seen today a couple of good
8,5 shapes.
[close]
Generator is amazing. I'm  pretty sure Polar is still pressing their boards their but idk for sure. I haven't heard of them switching at all.
[close]
polar is still generator/bbs.
[close]

Thank you, - so same wood and shapes than AH/Real
just different graphics- and made in USA??- this was my first
guess. Sorry for all questions- but i am little bit out of
the game and have stick the last years just with the boards
i know...
But its become more difficult to get good boards and that polar
looks super good shape and wood wise - like AH/Real...
[close]
Same wood, different shapes and wb.

Polar offers shorter lengths and wider noses/tails than I was seeing from DLX. Only reason I made the switch. Have some PS wood up next that I imagine I will once again break quickly.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #601 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Made in Mexico....
[close]
for real... are they still putting usa stickers on magenta boards? tryna trick the euros and shit

Ah....made in USA is news to me....I thought all BB/Gen is Mexico.....

Hannity

« Reply #602 on: March 11, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Is northern co transferring over to pennswood or is it just a few limited decks?
[close]

Yes to the former, they'll be Pennswood from here on out.
according to 144p, they are now switching back to South Central.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #603 on: March 11, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Made in Mexico....
[close]
for real... are they still putting usa stickers on magenta boards? tryna trick the euros and shit
[close]

they are, that's why it was weird when they put USA stickers on them

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #604 on: March 11, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
So I looked back and from what I can gather... Alien Workshop is Generator?
(Cool Trick GIF)

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #605 on: March 12, 2017, 12:59:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Made in Mexico....
[close]
[close]

[close]
they are, that's why it was weird when they put USA stickers on them
I'm not so sure about those things in US but here in europe you can have a product that's 100% made in abroad but assembled here and it gets labeled made in EU...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #606 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:51 AM »
Bought yesterday my first polar - wood is perfect- I ride since
20 years 80% deluxe stuff - shape is really a little different to real/ ah
but also very good - Pontus know what he do.
Best think about the board is the graphics- first thing is wood and shapes
and for this case I love deluxe - but if your living in eu and you
are looking for 8,5 you have in every shop just a limited selection.
Real is mostly fullprint / big logo and ah is 50% great and 50% try hard.

In the shops you have today 70% cheaper euro brands with no ambition
in graphic design like jard. USA Brands with pro skaters who are 50% more
expensive need to put heart in the design again.

this makes the different and out of simple board you will break  something you
fall in love with

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #607 on: March 12, 2017, 06:06:10 AM »
Polar offers shorter lengths and wider noses/tails than I was seeing from DLX. Only reason I made the switch. Have some PS wood up next that I imagine I will once again break quickly.

skating a quasi now (obv. a PS) and its great - snappiest pop i've had for ages and no signs of cracking whatsoever. I hear a lot that PS are hit or miss, I must be lucky cause every PS I've had has been great.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #608 on: March 12, 2017, 06:53:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

skating a quasi now (obv. a PS) and its great - snappiest pop i've had for ages and no signs of cracking whatsoever. I hear a lot that PS are hit or miss, I must be lucky cause every PS I've had has been great.

I usually have a similar experience in the beginning, feels great and strong and I think I've found a new favorite board but then they always crack or break really fast for me.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

shit_for_brains

« Reply #609 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I usually have a similar experience in the beginning, feels great and strong and I think I've found a new favorite board but then they always crack or break really fast for me.

I think I'm okay with breaking them quickly because then I can just move on to the next. BBS/Generator just sort of turns off mid trick I feel like. It just doesn't do the thing anymore.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #610 on: March 14, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
I was riding BBS/Generator pretty much exclusively for about 5 or so years (except for a few Northern Co's when they're available) and have been really underwhelmed by my last few boards.

My Traffic snapped after 3 days, wood felt real dry. My other, a Polar, lost its shape after a week and the wood felt dead and soggy.. it also chipped a hell of a lot more than any Generator board I've ever had. The last, another Polar, snapped after about 3 hours, wood felt super dry and brittle. The Traffic might have been a little old (got it on sale), but the last two Polar's were from new releases/batches. I had a Killing Floor which I LOVED skating (fantastic shape), but after a week or two the board became soft and soggy. Sucks because I love the Polar and Killing Floor shapes. Is it me, or has anyone noticed a decline in quality in the last year?

I got a Northern Co (either Pennswood or South Central... this one http://imgur.com/a/sGpa3 )  and the wood feels waaaay stiffer than anything I've got from Generator in the last year. It is un-chippable and my 195-lb ass hasn't even come close to snapping it. Only reason I'm not skating now is due to an injury.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
I was riding BBS/Generator pretty much exclusively for about 5 or so years (except for a few Northern Co's when they're available) and have been really underwhelmed by my last few boards.

My Traffic snapped after 3 days, wood felt real dry. My other, a Polar, lost its shape after a week and the wood felt dead and soggy.. it also chipped a hell of a lot more than any Generator board I've ever had. The last, another Polar, snapped after about 3 hours, wood felt super dry and brittle. The Traffic might have been a little old (got it on sale), but the last two Polar's were from new releases/batches. I had a Killing Floor which I LOVED skating (fantastic shape), but after a week or two the board became soft and soggy. Sucks because I love the Polar and Killing Floor shapes. Is it me, or has anyone noticed a decline in quality in the last year?

I got a Northern Co (either Pennswood or South Central... this one http://imgur.com/a/sGpa3 )  and the wood feels waaaay stiffer than anything I've got from Generator in the last year. It is un-chippable and my 195-lb ass hasn't even come close to snapping it. Only reason I'm not skating now is due to an injury.

The only thing I've skated, pretty much is Polar for the last 2-3 years, and I haven't noticed a changed. The board I had before the one I'm skating now lasted me two months (though I skated it death), and the one before that lasted about a month before I felt like moving on.

I break boards like crazy, and when I switched to Polar it stopped. I've cracked boards, and kept skating them for weeks.

In between, I've tried Quasi, FA, 3D, Chocolate (20 year edition PS Stix), Random DLX wood, Cliche, Welcome, Deathwish, and none of them came close. Most of these boards didn't last more than a couple sessions, including 4 boards in one month (two 3Ds, 1 Anti-Hero, and shop FTC board), and then went back to Polar. In 18 years of skating, I don't think I've ever found better boards.

Right now, I'm fiending for some kind of sale so I can stock up, again.
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #612 on: March 14, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Expand Quote

I got a Northern Co (either Pennswood or South Central... this one http://imgur.com/a/sGpa3 )  and the wood feels waaaay stiffer than anything I've got from Generator in the last year. It is un-chippable and my 195-lb ass hasn't even come close to snapping it. Only reason I'm not skating now is due to an injury.
[close]

The only thing I've skated, pretty much is Polar for the last 2-3 years, and I haven't noticed a changed. The board I had before the one I'm skating now lasted me two months (though I skated it death), and the one before that lasted about a month before I felt like moving on.

I break boards like crazy, and when I switched to Polar it stopped. I've cracked boards, and kept skating them for weeks.

In between, I've tried Quasi, FA, 3D, Chocolate (20 year edition PS Stix), Random DLX wood, Cliche, Welcome, Deathwish, and none of them came close. Most of these boards didn't last more than a couple sessions, including 4 boards in one month (two 3Ds, 1 Anti-Hero, and shop FTC board), and then went back to Polar. In 18 years of skating, I don't think I've ever found better boards.

That's the thing, I've never had a problem with them, but since the spring '16 drop I've had bad experiences, maybe I got a bad batch ? The Magenta's I had last year were damn near indestructible and kept their shape for a long time, same with the other Polar's I had before that. I just hope I got a bad batch, because I love the Polar/Magenta/Killing Floor shapes. Been skating for 18 years as well, I don't think I've ever skated shapes I felt this good with.
I'll probably go back to Polar after this Northern Co board, because they only come around once a year here (spring), and Polar's shapes are just perfect for me.

I'd like to get my hands on a ScumCo board as well, I've never tried them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:36:25 PM by TheBoognish »

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
I'm eyeing a Zoo York and a Norther Co right now. I don't care for Zoo as a company but I really want to try a Chapman board and Zoo is the only brand they make that my local shop carries. I'm not really high on Northern Co either but they are USA made and have a solid rep so I may go with that one.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY who does Numbers use?

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #615 on: March 16, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »
JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY who does Numbers use?

PS I believe

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #616 on: March 16, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
Is the vacation south central?

I just got a vacation deck and it is hard as a rock. Haven't had this kind of pop since bacon/politic decks last summer

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #617 on: March 16, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
Is the vacation south central?

I just got a vacation deck and it is hard as a rock. Haven't had this kind of pop since bacon/politic decks last summer

Yup it is South Central.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

VOSGOS

• Rep: 3
« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's the thing, I've never had a problem with them, but since the spring '16 drop I've had bad experiences, maybe I got a bad batch ? The Magenta's I had last year were damn near indestructible and kept their shape for a long time, same with the other Polar's I had before that. I just hope I got a bad batch, because I love the Polar/Magenta/Killing Floor shapes. Been skating for 18 years as well, I don't think I've ever skated shapes I felt this good with.
I'll probably go back to Polar after this Northern Co board, because they only come around once a year here (spring), and Polar's shapes are just perfect for me.

I'd like to get my hands on a ScumCo board as well, I've never tried them.

SCUMCO'S are rad super stiff and poppy 3 different concaves and a couple different wheelbases to choose from they just upped their prices were 45 for quite a while now standard 50. Was just in Pittsburgh at a local shop drooling over the new batch they were out last year for a min as the factory moved or some shee but dam thats some good wood skated it exclusively when I got back in the game. Checked out some others everything felt soggy after that.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #619 on: March 17, 2017, 03:02:47 AM »
South Central is the best. I skated Politic deck the whole summer and it held great. I'll probably stick to SC wood from now on. It's hard to find in Europe, but worth.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #620 on: March 17, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
I'm eyeing a Zoo York and a Norther Co right now. I don't care for Zoo as a company but I really want to try a Chapman board and Zoo is the only brand they make that my local shop carries. I'm not really high on Northern Co either but they are USA made and have a solid rep so I may go with that one.

Chapman makes good boards with good shapes, just make sure you check it correctly before buying it, I ordered two Hopps (also Chapman) boards online at two different times and both were warped, one being severely warped and totally unskateable.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #621 on: March 17, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »
Id do penns or sc before chapman just cause they can be so thick and steep.....

shit_for_brains

« Reply #622 on: March 17, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
Chapman wood feels the most like they just cut a tree down and now you're skating it. Like a thin baseball bat. God help you with shinners.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #623 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:08 AM »
South Central is the best. I skated Politic deck the whole summer and it held great. I'll probably stick to SC wood from now on. It's hard to find in Europe, but worth.

what over companies are made by South Central ?
would try it if i don't find any DLX 8.25 the day i win lottery

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Northern Co, Politic, Bacon, Dieta and I know there's more !

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #625 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »

Chapman makes good boards with good shapes, just make sure you check it correctly before buying it, I ordered two Hopps (also Chapman) boards online at two different times and both were warped, one being severely warped and totally unskateable.

I've had 6 or so chapman decks and 2 were a little a bit warped

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
I've seen more warped Chapman Decks 10:1 compared to any other wood shop
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »
Well shit I guess I'll go with the Northern Co over the Zoo. I really was stoked on Chapman but the inconsistency kind of turns me the other way.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
Hey...read through the thread....someone might have said northern switched.....I might be mixing it up w. Killing Floor....

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Palomino and Caliroots stock SC and Pennswood decks. Palomino tells you where the decks are pressed (except  surprise, surprise - girl and choco)