Author Topic: Shrinking wheels?  (Read 2442 times)

apad88

Shrinking wheels?
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:12 AM »
So I recently came up on some brand new Pigs that are 56s (a little big for my taste) I was wondering would there be any way to wear them down to a smaller size faster than just daily use

via

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
Re: Shrinking wheels?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:20:56 AM »
If by brand new you mean still in the plastic, trade them in at your shop.

Otherwise, bomb a lot of hills.

apad88

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:25:42 AM »
I'm afraid they're already set up on my board so I better search for a hill with sketchy torn up floor to get these fuckers down to size

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »
I'm afraid they're already set up on my board so I better search for a hill with sketchy torn up floor to get these fuckers down to size

bomb tully for a whole day. or if you cruise thru the east hills you can find smaller hills with rougher ground. or bomb suncrest/berryessa if you can handle that beast.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
you need this:

-a power screwdriver

-griptape or really rough sanding paper

-fine motor skills

now you need something like an axle that you can stick on the screwdriver. this axle should preferably have a thread going through the whole
axle, so you can mount a nut from both sides for the wheel not to spin. turn on the screwdriver and sand the wheel down slowly until it has the size you want. it's basically a low budget turning lathe.

it definetely works, i witnessed someone do it to a set of 55mm down to 53s and it seemed to be alright. never attempted to do it myself, though.

or you can try and swap it with someone who got wheels that are too small for his liking. just lurk at a bowl or something, some dude might have gotten wheels that are too small for his liking so you can offer him a trade.

samsk8

• Rep: -26
  • maddd propzzz
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:26 AM »
why u fools riding such big wheels? ever heard of a 50mm? have fun with your tennis balls  ::) ::)
bomb ur mutha f**kn city!!

trannies and mannies

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:20:38 AM »
Ive ridden some Bones SPF 56s for an entire year and now theyre about 49s. Do a lot of powerslides, lipslides, and blunts.

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »
why u fools riding such big wheels? ever heard of a 50mm? have fun with your tennis balls  ::) ::)

Have fun with your cheerio wheels.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 12:57:55 AM »

Being Pigs they will likely flatspot to an unbearable point long before wearing down a few millimeters.
56's are the perfect size, you'll probably get used to them after a few sessions. Doing anything but riding can comprise the urethane all together.

apad88

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Being Pigs they will likely flatspot to an unbearable point long before wearing down a few millimeters.
56's are the perfect size, you'll probably get used to them after a few sessions. Doing anything but riding can comprise the urethane all together.
haha wish you would've posted this before I went all powerslide crazy on my way home, I literally tried to incorporate some kind of powerslide in all of the tricks I tried for fun

Tony

• Rep: 7
    • Sleep Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

Do you not like rolling away when you land your tricks?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:36:19 AM by Tony »

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have fun with your cheerio wheels.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 06:39:26 AM »
56s feel too small to me.  :-[ 58s are where its at.

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
you're better off to just deal with it and get used to them.
but if you are comfortable using power tools, you could use a belt sander or a bench sander. take your trucks off. leave the wheels on. turn on the sander. at about a 45 degree angle to the belt, move the wheel back and forth, keeping the wheel down flat. don't push too hard. use a Vernier caliper to check the wheel size as you go.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

Man, because you like something that means it's whats best for everyone else? Cool. Because everyone skates the same shit the same way right?
I rekon 50mm wheels would be pretty silly on my 8.5"+ decks.