Author Topic: Religious Propaganda at Skateparks  (Read 5290 times)

cringe.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Religious Propaganda at Skateparks
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
the skatepark is our church, gnarliness our religion       

Nick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »
the skatepark is our church, gnarliness our religion?  ?  ?  ? 

jerrys_kids

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
bribing children with money in an effort to sway them towards your religion is low � �
[close]

I do completely agree with this though, it goes against Christianity as a whole anyway.
[close]

Why did you take the "food" out of his quote? Baiting kids with money is wrong, but using pizza is OK?
[close]

oops didn't mean to cut that out too. I think that if you believe something and you feel strongly enough about it that you think other need to know then thats great. But with that being said there is just as much a wrong way to do it as there is a so-called "wrong lifestyle"
To many people operate off of some sort of works based faith, like if I do good things that I think will please God or if I "convert" all these people whatever the cost then I will go to heaven (or whatever who your talking to believes in), but that is stale faith and it means nothing.
[close]

Nothing gives you the right to think for other people, especially in this sense when thinking for them includes telling them they are going to be tortured indefinitely if they don't jump on your bandwagon. Christianity/religion isn't news to anyone. Even if they don't know the specifics, if someone needs that in their life, they will seek it out. People are on your team or they aren't, and preaching to strangers is the most arrogant thing you can do. Let people be.

Edit: To clarify, if someone inquires� about what you're about, then spit your rhetoric. That's appropriate. Until then, everyone needs to keep their views to themselves. Especially when your trapping kids with pizza and skateboarding. That's the same thing as pulling up in a windowless white van and offering them candy, only you're forcing thoughts into their head instead of your dick.

They arent thinking for other people, and I dont think its appropriate to say that "your going to be tortured indefinitely" just because these people they are talking to arent Christians. Lets be straight, I'm not saying to walk up to kids in the middle of a session and start telling them things like "if your not a christian your wrong and your going to hell" thats insane. But in the instances of places like skatechurch that some people on here are talking about then its totally your option to go and you cant be pissed at people when you willingly walk into a situation where you know that people are going to talk to you about God. They are just trying to make their beliefs know not necessarily "push" them onto anyone (at least the ones around here dont). And if someone comes up to you at your park and says they'll give you a dollar to talk about what your believe then its your option to say yes, if you dont want to do it just decline and walk away.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »
it was always some bladers trying to talk to us at the skatepark i used to live by. one time they sent these two hot ass girls, one of whom had a really nice ass, worthy of mentioning, to talk to all the dudes at the park to try to get them to go to some christian concert at a church.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 606
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
There's an indoor park associated with a Nazarene church near me, very much like what faarooq said. They shut it down for prayer meetings at certain times, going to certain meetings gets you in free for certain days, etc. I never liked/went to the place much anyways, but luring kids to church like that strikes me as fucked up.

This park is actually a public outdoor park and they have brought drinks and tacos to try and lure kids to come talk to them. I do have one of those religious indoor skateparks near me. I live in Michigan and its the only place within about an hour and a half to skate during the winter. They've played the same shitty playlists for like the past 3 years and its always filled with p.o.d., paramore, and some rap that talks about getting vertical so you can get closer to heaven.

The skatepark I used to be a regular at was built by a church, and in turn had a bunch of Christian events and such.

There were a select few people who were totally awesome and respectful, but there were also a bunch of corrupt, kooky fucks that just made the whole regime look as shitty as ever.

I'm pretty sure all three of you are talking about the same place. The Naz in Brighton?

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
to all the people talking bad about christianity, do you even know anything about it? have you even read the bible? most likely not. so why talk bad about something you have no knowledge of..

its way too real for me.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
I remember 7 or 8 years ago I was driving through a familiar neighborhood and randomly saw a skatepark that had just been built at a church. A full session was going on so I pulled over to skate. Everyone was really friendly and they weren't being too pushy. Everyone stopped skating and I was invited in for church being told we could skate more after. I told the guy I wasn't a Christian and wasn't interested I was told flat-out that I had to leave and not to come back unless I planned on joining for church next time.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »
to all the people talking bad about christianity, do you even know anything about it? have you even read the bible? most likely not. so why talk bad about something you have no knowledge of..
you definitely do not need to read the entire bible to know what christianity is about. enough to make your own judgements about it, at least.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
No, but I have seen a lot of Cecil B. DeMille movies. Shit's scary.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »

It's not necessary to read the bible to understand the modern definition of Christianity.  Christians are pretty fucking obnoxious about divulging it to people whether they want to hear about it or not.  Look no further than this thread to see that in action.

Not too many people have mentioned anything about a Buddhist monk rolling up to their park offering free curry and waxing poetic about the importance of reading the "Tibetan Book of The Dead".

Jesus, if you're reading this...

shone237

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
to all the people talking bad about satanism, do you even know anything about it? have you even read the satanic bible? most likely not. so why talk bad about something you have no knowledge of..

practice what you preach, ass.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

yes, and I believe that focusing on helping the poor is a better way to live a Christian life than a constant focus on conversion. Actions speak louder than words.

poocrusher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »
If you skate in Colorado, then you know Evelyn. �Evelyn is the absolute worst.

She's not allowed in any shop in Colorado. �Here is one reason why.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
You're right, people  should read the bible so they can get some glorious quips of wisdom such as;

Ezekiel 23:19-20 " Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

Very inspiring

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

youbez

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
i always see these religious comic books at my local park which basically say if u do anything wrong your going to hell drawn into a cartoon. i usually write commentary all through them then put them back on the ground where i found em.

Liam Baker

• Rep: -50
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
I live in Colorado, which seems to be somewhat known for Mega-Churches and shit like that. I've had multiple experiences where religious groups come and try to talk to me, telling me to accept Jesus or some shit like that. I'll usually just vibe the fuck out of them. One time, some christfags came to the skatepark and though it'd be a good idea to talk to everyone who just so happened to be smoking weed in a secluded area. Needless to say, that conversation was short
fuck

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »
I don't need to read Mein Kampf from cover to cover to understand that Nazism is a regular ideology.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You're right, people?  should read the bible so they can get some glorious quips of wisdom such as;

Ezekiel 23:19-20 " Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

Very inspiring

Jesus fucking Christ I need to get me one of them bibles.  Is the whole thing like that?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
You're right, people?  should read the bible so they can get some glorious quips of wisdom such as;

Very inspiring
[close]

Jesus fucking Christ I need to get me one of them bibles.  Is the whole thing like that?

you'd be surprised. there's some gnarly goodies in that ol' book.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15699_the-9-most-badass-bible-verses.html

shone237

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
I think it was such a dumb argument, that it was hard not to belittle you.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
There's an indoor park associated with a Nazarene church near me, very much like what faarooq said. They shut it down for prayer meetings at certain times, going to certain meetings gets you in free for certain days, etc. I never liked/went to the place much anyways, but luring kids to church like that strikes me as fucked up.
[close]

Expand Quote
This park is actually a public outdoor park and they have brought drinks and tacos to try and lure kids to come talk to them. I do have one of those religious indoor skateparks near me. I live in Michigan and its the only place within about an hour and a half to skate during the winter. They've played the same shitty playlists for like the past 3 years and its always filled with p.o.d., paramore, and some rap that talks about getting vertical so you can get closer to heaven.
[close]

Expand Quote
The skatepark I used to be a regular at was built by a church, and in turn had a bunch of Christian events and such.

There were a select few people who were totally awesome and respectful, but there were also a bunch of corrupt, kooky fucks that just made the whole regime look as shitty as ever.
[close]

I'm pretty sure all three of you are talking about the same place. The Naz in Brighton?

That's the one.

To the religious guy: 4 years of catholic school, with mandatory theology each semester, was enough to convince me that it's all pretty silly, preying on the emotional weakness of the constituency (not unlike the extreme left/right).
Ive always wondered about Christianity's origins though...I don't find christians to be dishonest in their beliefs, but what about the first christians? Was it some kind of conspiracy or game to see how many people they could control through imaginative fiction (ala Scientology)?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »
http://www.americanrampcompany.com/jesus
JESUS LOVES SHITTY SKATE PARKS

A.J.K.

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »
I don't need to read the bible to know that I don't want to associate myself with people that promote and tolerate homophobic, sexist, racist and generally backward views.  Also the fact that child abuse seems to be a never ending problem, and the overall tone that 'you're wrong and sinful' is disgusting.  Not all Christians/religious people are awful but there are so many detractors to organized religion (and religion as a whole) that I don't understand why people cling so strongly to it or at least can't accept the fact that other people don't want to include it in their lives.

It's arrogant and absolutely ridiculous to think you know all of human and world history, and it's worse yet to preach it forcefully to other people let alone children who might not be as aware of bullshit as an adult.  

A.J.K.

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't need to read the bible to know that I don't want to associate myself with people that promote and tolerate homophobic, sexist, racist[b/] and generally backward views.  Also the fact that child abuse seems to be a never ending problem, and the overall tone that 'you're wrong and sinful' is disgusting.  Not all Christians/religious people are awful but there are so many detractors to organized religion (and religion as a whole) that I don't understand why people cling so strongly to it or at least can't accept the fact that other people don't want to include it in their lives.

It's arrogant and absolutely ridiculous to think you know all of human and world history, and it's worse yet to preach it forcefully to other people let alone children who might not be as aware of bullshit as an adult.  
[close]

the bible does not teach any of that, i dont know where you got that idea from..if you've heard any "christians" promote such things then they must not know what they're talking about..

While the bible might not explicitly say that, religion seems to be the driving force behind it.  Also, the pope, the supposed leader of Catholicism on earth has openly spoken out against birth control and gay rights.  How is that not backward?  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:19:17 PM by A.J.K. »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't need to read the bible to know that I don't want to associate myself with people that promote and tolerate homophobic, sexist, racist[b/] and generally backward views.  Also the fact that child abuse seems to be a never ending problem, and the overall tone that 'you're wrong and sinful' is disgusting.  Not all Christians/religious people are awful but there are so many detractors to organized religion (and religion as a whole) that I don't understand why people cling so strongly to it or at least can't accept the fact that other people don't want to include it in their lives.

[close]

the bible does not teach any of that, i dont know where you got that idea from..if you've heard any "christians" promote such things then they must not know what they're talking about..
It's the 21st century. You can go ahead and step out of your bubble now.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Cockaigne

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »
Cant believe this hasnt been posted yet:

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
There's quite a few people who have read the bible, were raised with religion, understood it and then turned away and wanted nothing to do with it.

I turned away when I was 10 or so. They couldn't give satisfying, logical answers to questions like: If god loves everyone, why would he allow hell to exist? Isn't it a little arrogant for people to have to proclaim their undying love for him to be allowed in heaven? Why wouldn't he just let the people that tried to live a decent life live in his paradise post-death? Then you do research for yourself and find that it really is a heaping pile of bullshit wrapped in deception used for ages to control the masses.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »
 One day two mormons doing their missionary thing came in the local skatepark. They were dressed formally in suit and fancy shiny shoes. One of them grabbed my board and did a f/s board on the rail and a flip on flat after. I thought mormons were cool.

jerrys_kids

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
I remember 7 or 8 years ago I was driving through a familiar neighborhood and randomly saw a skatepark that had just been built at a church. A full session was going on so I pulled over to skate. Everyone was really friendly and they weren't being too pushy. Everyone stopped skating and I was invited in for church being told we could skate more after. I told the guy I wasn't a Christian and wasn't interested I was told flat-out that I had to leave and not to come back unless I planned on joining for church next time.

Whoa thats nuts, that dude clearly didnt understand the whole idea behind christianity.
The main idea (which has sadly been manipulated into something totally different) is to live your life like Christ. The bible says on more than one occasion that the most important commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. the whole idea is basically to spread love to everyone you meet. I dont see how that can be bad.