Author Topic: Going to San Fransisco in August  (Read 2864 times)

raunchyrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Going to San Fransisco in August
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Sorry for starting a new thread, I know theres already a SF thread but it seemed more Tranny oriented

Basically the first time I'll be out of New England, I love to skate ledges and manual pads of the sort and anything fun really

If you guys can maybe suggest me some parks or spots i must check out that'd be great

Randozzi

Re: Going to San Fransisco in August
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »
Go to the DLXSF shop on Market st. and talk with those cats.
all good people and will point you in the right direction.

bring a sweatshirt.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
waller ledges is a good place to warm up and meet some skaters

raunchyrick

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
Go to the DLXSF shop on Market st. and talk with those cats.
all good people and will point you in the right direction.

bring a sweatshirt.

Oh yeah? it gets cold there?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 607
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
It's about 55-65 every day of the week, with the weather changing pretty significantly between neighborhoods or different times of the day. As bbk pointed out, Waller ledges at Waller and Stanyan is a regular meet up spot. Just a few marble slabs and benches placed there specifically to skate. 3 up 3 down at 16th and Mission is usually fun. 3rd and Army, or more specifically Indiana and Tulare is a bit out of the way but a great spot. And really just pushing around Market at night is a blast. Feel free to pm me when you're in town if you're trying to skate.

raunchyrick

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:59 AM »
It's about 55-65 every day of the week, with the weather changing pretty significantly between neighborhoods or different times of the day. As bbk pointed out, Waller ledges at Waller and Stanyan is a regular meet up spot. Just a few marble slabs and benches placed there specifically to skate. 3 up 3 down at 16th and Mission is usually fun. 3rd and Army, or more specifically Indiana and Tulare is a bit out of the way but a great spot. And really just pushing around Market at night is a blast. Feel free to pm me when you're in town if you're trying to skate.

Right on man, thanks!

Forte

• Rep: -7
  • "Larry Perkins is a Faggot"
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:18 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread, but i'm going to have a layover here in august. i'm only going to have the day, and i wanna keep the cost down. what places are near the airport? and how far away is the DLXSF shop?
Opinions are like assholes and you just came to the public toilet of skateboarding.

Leo Chumack

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
An awesome place to stay is the Green Tortoise hostel. Relatively cheap with free dinner 3 nights a week, and more often than not free beer keg all night. A lot of skaters staying there, a lot of sluts too. And it's in the very center of a lot of skate spots. SF is an amazing city to just cruise around all day and night and see what you can find, I found that better than just going to the usual spots, maybe save those for one day just to satisfy your curiosity. China banks is worth a visit just to realize how gnarly it is to skate. If you do end up staying at the hostel, check it out it's right down the street, so is pier 7, which can still be skated as a manny pad last time I went. If you are looking for ledges, the city is full of a lot of random ones that are usually down a huge hill. A stop to the DLX store on market street would be ideal, those dudes are cool and super helpful to visiting skateboarders. Have a fun trip dude, that city is amazing.

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 01:45:24 AM »
as said above, green tortoise is rad for a hostel, i've stayed there twice, but i found if your going with another person or 2, it might be cheaper and more convenient  to stay at one of the travel lodges in pacific heights area for $95ish a night.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 02:29:01 AM »
I didn't want to start a new thread, but i'm going to have a layover here in august. i'm only going to have the day, and i wanna keep the cost down. what places are near the airport? and how far away is the DLXSF shop?

The airport is not in San Francisco (city proper), it is about 10-15 minutes from downtown SF, located in San Bruno.

DLXSF from the airport is about ill say 15-30 minutes, if there is traffic.

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

You can take BART metro train from the airport into the city pretty easily. Some spots by barts stops would be 3 up 3 down by the 16th and mission stop or go to civic center and see the sflibrary and a bunch of other stuff.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Forte

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
Thanks a bunch. If i just wanted to get off at a stop and go skate around all day, which stop is the best and how much would it be? Also, are there any stops near deluxe?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:09:21 PM by Forte »
Opinions are like assholes and you just came to the public toilet of skateboarding.

Guertin91

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
I'm also going to to San Fransisco in August.
It will be my first trip out to california from tennesee.
I'll pm anyone in that area thats down to cruise around.

RonBalone

• Rep: -21
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
I'm moving to SF (Berkeley) on Wednesday. I'll post again in here and perhaps PM a few of you for spots/parks ideas and perhaps meet up. Coming from DC, pretty pumped to get out of the humidity and brutal winters.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
I'm going in January. First timer. Thanks for all the information everybody.

.sk.

• Rep: 3
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
thanks for all the info - no need to start a new thread.

i'm going to be in SF from melbourne, australia for about 6 days in mid-sept.  i've been to the city a couple of times and have found the DLXSF and FTC crew to be really helpful with directions and all that.   I'll be rolling on my own this time and most likely skating at odd times due to work/other commitments.

was having a look at this site http://skatespotter.com/skate-spots/city/US/CA/San-Francisco.html for the location of a few different spots. 
- looks like the farmers market ledges, crescent barriers and flower shop are all in close proximity to each other but a little bit out of downtown where i'll be staying.  i'll be taking public transport, is it worth the effort getting out there? is the neighborhood chill? also, is the flower shop invite only? i'm a transition hack but thought it would be cool to skate and tick off the bucket list....
- someone posted above that pier 7 can still be skated as manny pads?  any idea if this is still the case?
- finally, does the library still have times that skating is allowed?  i was in SF in 2008 and there were times that you were allowed to skate....

thanks in advance

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Super fun black ledges off of 16th & Wisconsin that are in quite a few videos

Trickskatin

• Rep: 53
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
thanks for all the info - no need to start a new thread.

i'm going to be in SF from melbourne, australia for about 6 days in mid-sept.  i've been to the city a couple of times and have found the DLXSF and FTC crew to be really helpful with directions and all that.   I'll be rolling on my own this time and most likely skating at odd times due to work/other commitments.

was having a look at this site http://skatespotter.com/skate-spots/city/US/CA/San-Francisco.html for the location of a few different spots. 
- looks like the farmers market ledges, crescent barriers and flower shop are all in close proximity to each other but a little bit out of downtown where i'll be staying.  i'll be taking public transport, is it worth the effort getting out there? is the neighborhood chill? also, is the flower shop invite only? i'm a transition hack but thought it would be cool to skate and tick off the bucket list....
- someone posted above that pier 7 can still be skated as manny pads?  any idea if this is still the case?
- finally, does the library still have times that skating is allowed?  i was in SF in 2008 and there were times that you were allowed to skate....

thanks in advance

Farmer's market ledges are excellent. The neighborhood is mellow, nothing to worry about. Definitely worth checking out if you like ledges. Shouldn't have any problems skating the flower shop (as long as you don't do anything completely stupid e.g. waxing the pool coping, tagging, bringing a shitload of people). Odds are no one will be there (especially mornings) anyway. Pier 7 can still technically be skated as a manny pad (higher than it used to be/wood panels) but you can also still get ticketed or kicked out. The library is completely done, for now (very-heavy-duty skate stoppers).

Have fun on your trip.

.sk.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
thanks heaps for that.

.sk.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
hey again.  just had a look on google street view and it looks like the crescent barriers are no longer?  anyone confirm?  am i looking at the right address?  http://goo.gl/maps/u6dSJ

also - time permitting i'm thinking of catching the cal train down to san jose to skate that sunnyvale park.  will also skate the potrero hill park.  are these parks free?  do you have to wear pads/helmets?

thanks again.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 607
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Potrero is free with no pads required. Try to go there before noon if you try because it gets packed quickly.

You can skate at Pier 7 but not in any way that's worth making the trip if it's out of the way.

The 24 bus stops near the farmer's market/flower shop. It doesn't run quite through downtown, but you can take the 1, 38, or other busses to the 24. The flower shop is definitely worth the commute if you enjoy weird tranny, but bear in mind it's not easy to skate.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
watch out for bum turds

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

Forte

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
any solid hubbas worth checking out?

.sk.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
Potrero is free with no pads required. Try to go there before noon if you try because it gets packed quickly.

You can skate at Pier 7 but not in any way that's worth making the trip if it's out of the way.

The 24 bus stops near the farmer's market/flower shop. It doesn't run quite through downtown, but you can take the 1, 38, or other busses to the 24. The flower shop is definitely worth the commute if you enjoy weird tranny, but bear in mind it's not easy to skate.

thanks heaps