Author Topic: Travel by Greyhound  (Read 3167 times)

TheBonelessOne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Travel by Greyhound
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
I'm considering a trip from SF to skate the East Coast on Greyhound. This would be my virgin voyage on Greyhound. Travel time should take the better part of three days, there are a lot of transfers and it will cost approx. $250 (one-way).

I need to know a few things that I cannot ask the officials about.

1. I need to carry my meds as I don't have any connects in the east. Does Greyhound inspect luggage?
2. I'm an adult male with shitty clothes and extra skateboards. Should I be worried about crime?
3. Is there a cheaper bus option? Megabus cancelled the whole west coast operation, but is there another econonomical alternative?
4. What drugs should I ingest to make the trip more bearable?

Any helpful advice or related anecdotes would be appreciated.

steve

• Rep: 45
Re: Travel by Greyhound
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
Send your medication to where ever you will be staying. While Greyhound won't be going through your luggage I've got a good friend whose bus was stopped by D E A in Nevada last year. Hombre was packing 4 elbows under the bus but for some reason only carry on baggage was searched and a lady was pulled off with a sack of meth.

Really, though, Greyhound sucks. I'm a big fan of Amtrak. It'll cost a bit more but you're more likely to find better company, solitude, comfort, less tweakers, and it's an easy way to bring whatever you want, wherever you want.

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
Get ready for an adventure.

Long distance greyhound trips are always entertaining.

Make sure you bring your board on the bus with you.

I made the mistake of tying mine to my luggage and it was misplaced and I lost like 500 dollars worth of shit including my new complete.

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
The craziest mother fuckers in the world ride the bus. Good fucking luck.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tim_McLean

Protect ya neck!!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tim_McLean

Protect ya neck!!

About a year after this happened I rode the Greyhound from Vancouver to Toronto. I was pulled out of the line and informed that the bus driver had been told by someone that I had been getting wasted and that I shouldn't be allowed on the bus. About an hour before this I had a beer and a hamburger with my girlfriend as we were saying our goodbyes around the corner from the bus terminal. The Greyhound man who I was dealing with checked my bag and confiscated my bottle of fizzy water but let me on the bus. Weird times. I attributed the shitty-ness to that beheading. There are some tweakers in The Prairies and the trip sort of sucked but whatever, PMA.

TheBonelessOne

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Plan re-evaluations are underway.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
When I was 15 I took a Greyhound from St. Louis to Portland.  It was almost 4 days I think, and it was, still, the worst consecutive 4 days of my life.  Between all of the gnarly passengers, and their collective BO, the rest stops / food in the worst neighborhoods you pass on your way there, to the inevitable breakdowns and, as above occassional gruesome murder / canabalism....I can't urge you enough to just save the extra cash and drive, or take a train or something. 

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Here is a little greyhound tip I learned from living in Ottawa.

the greyhound from Montreal to Toronto is actually cheaper than the greyhound from Ottawa to Toronto, despite it being a midway stop on the same bus route.

This is because the Mega Bus (owend by Stagecoach) operates between Montreal and Toronto and they have to compete with them on fare price.

Unlike the Greyhound however the MegaBus does not stop in Ottawa and so there is no need for them to compete on this portion of the route and so the Fare is more expensive.

This extra cost can be circumvented by simply buying an online ticket from Montreal printing it off and when getting on the bus simply stating that you had to stop over or simply got off to use the bathroom, getting on the bus for the second leg of your journey.

So in sumation by simply mapping out megabus routes, you may be able to find cheaper greyhound tickets.