Author Topic: Barcelona  (Read 1742 times)

Trickskatin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 53
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Barcelona
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:53:51 AM »
Hola todos!

My girlfriend and I will be spending a week in Barcelona from May 30-June 6. While the touristic-sightseeing stuff is mandatory, I will clearly be making some time to go skate while I'm there. I've checked out the other threads on this topic but was hoping for some additional advice/recommendations.

- In terms of tourist spots: Is there anything that's really overrated that we shouldn't waste time checking out?

- Anything that's not super-well-known that is worth checking out?

- Best neighborhood to stay in a hostel or hotel (close to good bars)? I'm trying to arrange a CouchSurfing host but so far haven't been successful; so its looking like we'll be taking the hostel/hotel route.

- What is/are the best neighborhood(s) to skate (as in: the best place to get off the metro/train/bus and just skate around/explore)? So far, I don't know anyone in Barcelona so I will be skating alone.

- On that note: if any of you guys live in or are visiting Barcelona at the same time and want to meet up to skate/drink/etc that would be sick. Just PM me.

- Any major cultural differences that I should keep in mind? Do the majority of people speak more Spanish or Catalan (I speak Spanish pretty well but have absolutely no experience with Catalan)? Obscure laws? Etiquette? Skating on sidewalks or streets?

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »
There are a few threads on this already.  To sum it up: Try googling skate spots, there are tons of sites that have spot maps and such.  Las Ramblas seems to be the main bar district.  Consider renting an apartment.  Check out About.com traveling in spain for culutral questions.  Tipping can be weird.  Watch for pickpockets and aggressive prostitues at night. Catalan is spoken in most converstaion but they will know Spanish and touristy spots will speak English.  I'm going for the first time in October, that's pretty much what I've picked up so far.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »
Tipping isn't weird, you just don't do it. Which I guess is weird for us Americans.

I didn't skate when I was there, but I wouldn't hang out on Las Ramblas for too long. Huge tourist trap and a likely place to get pick pocketed. They do have a huge market of of Las Ramblas though that's pretty cool. The Gothic district is cool, and anything related to Gaudi.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »
- In terms of tourist spots: Is there anything that's really overrated that we shouldn't waste time checking out?

the whole city is overrated.

- Anything that's not super-well-known that is worth checking out?

macba, fondo and paralell are small rarely known spots.

- Best neighborhood to stay in a hostel or hotel (close to good bars)? I'm trying to arrange a CouchSurfing host but so far haven't been successful; so its looking like we'll be taking the hostel/hotel route.

i'd just get some cardboard and couch surf with the bums, or sneak into the next ikea.

- What is/are the best neighborhood(s) to skate (as in: the best place to get off the metro/train/bus and just skate around/explore)? So far, I don't know anyone in Barcelona so I will be skating alone.

brooklyn

- On that note: if any of you guys live in or are visiting Barcelona at the same time and want to meet up to skate/drink/etc that would be sick. Just PM me.

ok.

- Any major cultural differences that I should keep in mind? Do the majority of people speak more Spanish or Catalan (I speak Spanish pretty well but have absolutely no experience with Catalan)? Obscure laws? Etiquette? Skating on sidewalks or streets?

they eat with chopsticks, also you don't shake hands but bump your dicks on each other to say hello.
when you stare at a girl for longer than 15 seconds you have to marry her, otherwise her dad will stab you.
cows are holy and they drive on the left side of the road.
sunday is "naked day" you'll have to pay a fee if you wear clothes on a public street.

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

no biggie...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:27:18 AM by pica »

Trickskatin

• Rep: 53
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »
what's people's advice for getting good weed/hash ?

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:51:27 PM »
stand around for 5 minutes and wait for someone to ask you if you want any

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:18:59 AM »
If you take the metro to the Universitat stop, that's where those black marble ledges are.  You'll see people skating flatground there and hanging around at any hour, day or night.  MACBA's right down the street from there.  Parallel, those manual pads with the metal coping, is a 5-10 minute skate from MACBA.  Also, if you skate from Parallel to the bottom end of Las Ramblas (the party street) you'll see all kinds of random spots.

For the most part, the language barrier isn't really an issue because it's a tourist town, particularly with regards to skating.  Everybody's from somewhere else, so English and Spanish are the most common languages since everybody's from Northern Europe or the US or other parts of Spain.  I only speak English and Spanish and nobody ever tripped on me for not speaking Catalan.

There's a bar called Manolo off of Las Ramblas that's the 'skater bar.'  Kind of a cool novelty stop, you might see some wasted American pros and they show skate vids there.  Careful of hookers feeling you up on Las Ramblas or any random dude who comes up to you talking some bullshit-sounding gibberish language that isn't Spanish or English.  Turn your back for a half a second and your wallet, cell phone, and backpack will be gone.  Just give them a 'No, gracias' and bounce.  This can happen at MACBA or Sants as well.

As far as tourist attractions that are totally worth it, Park Guell is the shit.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »
Guys, I plan going alone to Barcelona in September 10, I was checking some hostels at hihostels.com and most places are like 20 euros a day (kind of expensive to me).

I don't want to rent an apartment because I am going alone and besides that I want to meet people to skate and hang out.

Any tips shared rooms/apartments/etc?

Thanks.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
Guys, I plan going alone to Barcelona in September 10, I was checking some hostels at hihostels.com and most places are like 20 euros a day (kind of expensive to me).

I don't want to rent an apartment because I am going alone and besides that I want to meet people to skate and hang out.

Any tips shared rooms/apartments/etc?

Thanks.

http://www.loquo.com/es_es

This is a really good site.  It's like Craigslist for Spain.  Also, if you just walk around and look at payphones and bulletin boards there are always a lot of posters up about rooms and shit, but that might be kinda last minute for your liking.

Have fun.  You'll find plenty of pussy to eat

EAT PUSSY!

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:23:37 PM »
Haha... that's the idea!

That site looks good. Thanks for the heads up!

I am checking SurfCouching too, I will try to find skaters there.

EAT PUSSY!

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »
Ok guys, I am here for next 25 days or something. Too bad I just fucked up my knee really bad and I can't skate. I will fix  this shit once I get back home. Anyway, if you know some good parties and stuff to do not related with skateboarding, Hit me up!

FML.