Author Topic: Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?  (Read 30377 times)

natenola forever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Dill/Ave heading up new board company through VF corp?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
I mean its just what id like to see happen, not saying it would. if it did it'd probably have to be after the next workshop video when ave and dill would retire instead of leaving. Which is nicer i suppose. I just like the idea of a company this big burning itself to the ground to start something new and a little unusual. Itd be difficult to lose two more legacy guys and then have to tell dylan and the other cali guys like mikey and piscopo to fuck off. They did it to bo turner tho and let kalis walk off and they had the balls to fire neil blender and don pendleton so it's not impossible. Not sure how down dyrdek would be about this though since he owns the company now. Whatever, i guess, its just a hypothetical.
They didnt fire Blender, Blender is a dude that does whatever he wants, if he wants to do graphics he will, if not he wont. As far as the other shit if Dill and Ave walked it probably wouldnt be that big of a deal, in reality it would free up money and resources so that dudes like Dylan and Jake Johnson would be bigger deals at the company. If Dill left it would be a bigger deal to Dill and his fanboys (who most of probably don't buy skateboards) than anyone else.

BigMoe

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
Do you guys even remember Seek? It really wasn't that cool. Foily paint. Leftover whatever AWS graphics. Greg Myers.

I'm glad someone does, that shit sucked.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 10:46:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.
[close]

The bold move can be the right move, but this is the skateboard industry.?  Alien's edge is gone to me, and once nostalgia is gone maybe people will break away to start something fresh.?  Or stay for the check, whatever, I'm not buying the boards.
[close]

Are many people still skating them? I don't know if it's like this anywhere else but I never see anyone riding Workshop boards.

those boards are the best, same wood as dlx but without the hell concave

ps. |o| reboot?!?

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Do you guys even remember Seek? It really wasn't that cool. Foily paint. Leftover whatever AWS graphics. Greg Myers.
[close]

I'm glad someone does, that shit sucked.
You dudes are trippin. Kalis, Carolino and Flo all on one team is your definition of sucking? Fuck outta here.

Laban Fetus

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote
I mean its just what id like to see happen, not saying it would. if it did it'd probably have to be after the next workshop video when ave and dill would retire instead of leaving. Which is nicer i suppose. I just like the idea of a company this big burning itself to the ground to start something new and a little unusual. Itd be difficult to lose two more legacy guys and then have to tell dylan and the other cali guys like mikey and piscopo to fuck off. They did it to bo turner tho and let kalis walk off and they had the balls to fire neil blender and don pendleton so it's not impossible. Not sure how down dyrdek would be about this though since he owns the company now. Whatever, i guess, its just a hypothetical.
[close]
If Dill left it would be a bigger deal to Dill and his fanboys (who most of probably don't buy skateboards) than anyone else.
This doesn't make sense. Do you think Dill is selling boards because of his brief stint on The Osbournes or something? I'd just assume most of the people who are fans of him are fans of his skating first-and-foremost

Hatechild

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
Alien Workshop needs to bring Bo Turner back

folople

• Rep: -6
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 03:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Get dave ackles for art direction and some other ohio guys and other buttfuck nowhere locals on and itll pretty much be one of the best eras of the company. Turn away from both coasts and focus on nowhere.
[close]

The bold move can be the right move, but this is the skateboard industry.?  Alien's edge is gone to me, and once nostalgia is gone maybe people will break away to start something fresh.?  Or stay for the check, whatever, I'm not buying the boards.
[close]

Are many people still skating them? I don't know if it's like this anywhere else but I never see anyone riding Workshop boards.
[close]

those boards are the best, same wood as dlx but without the hell concave

ps. |o| reboot?!?
Yeah i like them even more than dlx boards

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »
Jake is focusing on skating places other than new york now and making that his focus and gilbert is from virgina? i dont consider that "east coast". Its more southern if anything. "East coast" is more associated with the new england area and the tri-state than anything else.  Also, id like to see jake getting more creative control over the company.

Just to Clarify,  Virginia is definitely East Coast. 

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »
Rumor has it that it's called Up River Skateboards

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
this topic is going to get heated

trannies and mannies

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
My alien workshop soap made me skin very dry.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 02:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The bold move can be the right move, but this is the skateboard industry.?  Alien's edge is gone to me, and once nostalgia is gone maybe people will break away to start something fresh.?  Or stay for the check, whatever, I'm not buying the boards.
[close]

Thats a shame, aws boards are the best. Im skating a habitat right now and I have a new alien board comin up next, best wood ever

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 06:57:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The bold move can be the right move, but this is the skateboard industry.?  Alien's edge is gone to me, and once nostalgia is gone maybe people will break away to start something fresh.?  Or stay for the check, whatever, I'm not buying the boards.
[close]

I live in Chile, in the other side of the fucking world and everyone loves and skates AWS boards, they are fucking great. Dunno what you are talking about

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
If Dill left it would be a bigger deal to Dill and his fanboys (who most of probably don't buy skateboards) than anyone else.
[close]
This doesn't make sense. Do you think Dill is selling boards because of his brief stint on The Osbournes or something? I'd just assume most of the people who are fans of him are fans of his skating first-and-foremost
no what i'm saying the dudes that like Dill are older dudes, dudes who that get free boards or cheap boards or ride shop boards and their buddies company boards. I New Orleans i dont see many 16 year old kids giving a fuck about Jason Dill, he probably has one of the worst selling boards on Workshop. I would guess the dudes selling boards are Grant, Dylan, and Omar.
People on here seem to never realize who buys skateboards, 28 year old dudes that like Ricky Oyola, Jason Dill, and any other legend dont buy them. They may pick up a wall hanger every now and then but they aren't riding pro decks on a regular basis.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
You're lucky, but you guys definitely must not be aware of teenager tumblr/OFWGKTA culture. With the internet kids have accessability to a lot...old video parts, interviews, random shit. There was a lull maybe five plus years ago, but kids (like high school age) love Dill these days. It's really obvious that him, Dylan, and Omar actually easily sell the most Alien shit at my shop. Grant probably next.
seriously, Im one of those tumblr kids and I have learned more about the history of skating in the last few months then I ever did before I had a tumblr. I'm 18 and Dill/AVE are so sick. I just watched Louie Barletta's part in that old tilt mode video and now its like my favorite part. I havent even seen the SB chronicles or that Nyjah Huston video. no joke tumblr is full of culture and theres no room for lame shit like $5.99 iTunes skate videos

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
Expand Quote
You're lucky, but you guys definitely must not be aware of teenager tumblr/OFWGKTA culture. With the internet kids have accessability to a lot...old video parts, interviews, random shit. There was a lull maybe five plus years ago, but kids (like high school age) love Dill these days. It's really obvious that him, Dylan, and Omar actually easily sell the most Alien shit at my shop. Grant probably next.
[close]
seriously, Im one of those tumblr kids and I have learned more about the history of skating in the last few months then I ever did before I had a tumblr. I'm 18 and Dill/AVE are so sick. I just watched Louie Barletta's part in that old tilt mode video and now its like my favorite part. I havent even seen the SB chronicles or that Nyjah Huston video. no joke tumblr is full of culture and theres no room for lame shit like $5.99 iTunes skate videos
haha this sounds really sarcastic but im not joking. Im backing a new company from the older dudes too, that would be dope

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »
Im 35 and I buy more skate product now than ever.
Old folks may not have the time like young kids, but we have jobs.
Oh Im riding an alien now... Jakes board.

Aleister gnarly

• Rep: -10
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
I have been reading slap forum for a long time and this is the first topic that I have wanted to respond to.  I have been skateboarding all my life and to say that older guys only buy shop boards or hand me downs is regular.   Ok, back on topic.  If Dill and Ave were to start a new company I think that would be amazing, sometime you need to reset the system.   That is why palace and polar and krooked are so rad.  I love alien workshop, in fact I had the first preying mantis rob dydrek deck.  With that said what they are doing with Alien sounds awful and I am scared for the company.  With the downfall of skateboarding happening at a rapid pace due to the berrics, monster, street league...etc, we need a change.  When Rocco was starting world everyone thought he was crazy, when they started girl everyone thought they were crazy.  If a dill/ave company could be a fraction of how awesome those two were/are then we are in for an treat.

By the way, everyone saying how "great" seek was, you are fucking nuts because that company (not skaters) sucked.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
I have been reading slap forum for a long time and this is the first topic that I have wanted to respond to.  I have been skateboarding all my life and to say that older guys only buy shop boards or hand me downs is regular.   Ok, back on topic.  If Dill and Ave were to start a new company I think that would be amazing, sometime you need to reset the system.   That is why palace and polar and krooked are so rad.  I love alien workshop, in fact I had the first preying mantis rob dydrek deck.  With that said what they are doing with Alien sounds awful and I am scared for the company.  With the downfall of skateboarding happening at a rapid pace due to the berrics, monster, street league...etc, we need a change.  When Rocco was starting world everyone thought he was crazy, when they started girl everyone thought they were crazy.  If a dill/ave company could be a fraction of how awesome those two were/are then we are in for an treat.

By the way, everyone saying how "great" seek was, you are fucking nuts because that company (not skaters) sucked.

i really doubt a company backed by a major corporation is gonna do anything to save skateboarding, the reality is everything they do will have to go through a revue board to make sure it is up to the companys standards. And i didnt say old dudes ride hand me downs, they generally have some kinda hook up where they either get new boards for free or cheap. They might be pro boards from a company their friend works at or shop boards and a lot of times they get shit from local companies.
I buy a fair amount of new pro boards but i rarely skate those, and thats more of what i see with the older dudes in citys.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
I think there are a lot of older dudes who kinda suck and don't have many friends/hookups that love skating.more in smaller towns probably.I'm gonna be a dude paying full price till I die.I'll buy a pro board, price doesn't matter.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Aleister gnarly

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It

i really doubt a company backed by a major corporation is gonna do anything to save skateboarding, the reality is everything they do will have to go through a revue board to make sure it is up to the companys standards. And i didnt say old dudes ride hand me downs, they generally have some kinda hook up where they either get new boards for free or cheap. They might be pro boards from a company their friend works at or shop boards and a lot of times they get shit from local companies.
I buy a fair amount of new pro boards but i rarely skate those, and thats more of what i see with the older dudes in citys.

I am not saying they have any chance of saving skateboarding, I am simply saying that it will make it more interesting.   Depending on your view of skateboarding, you could either think this is a good time with the growth of it or like me, you think it is the worst time in skateboarding.  Anything that is different than the norm I am all for.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
^Yea because slave, think, alien workshop, traffic, send help, hopps, palace, magenta, bacon, lifeblood, toy machine, skatemafia, fabo les, anti hero, krooked,  heroin, polar, studio, roger, and boulevard are all terrible companies who you shouldn't support and contribute to this being the worst time ever in skating
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Andrew Wong

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »
i highly doubt dill/ave are going anywhere. If they do make another board company with dna dist. dill/ave are gonna stay on the workshop. they rep it so hard and plus they are the face of alien workshop now, they wouldn't leave for a stupid business deal. all this talk about alien changing for the worst is so negative. Rob would never turn his back on alien workshop and make it into something its not. Carter is there. the whole team: ave, dill, rieder, salazar, johnson etc they all know what alien workshop is about. Rob can't make drastic changes if the whole team isn't on board with it.

Forte

• Rep: -7
  • "Larry Perkins is a Faggot"
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
^Yea because slave, think, alien workshop, traffic, send help, hopps, palace, magenta, bacon, lifeblood, toy machine, skatemafia, fabo les, anti hero, krooked,  heroin, polar, studio, roger, and boulevard are all terrible companies who you shouldn't support and contribute to this being the worst time ever in skating

Don't forget Ammo. In these dark times  I really think we should be supporting someone who has made present day skateboarding what it is.
Opinions are like assholes and you just came to the public toilet of skateboarding.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »

best company ever

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 04:45:04 AM »
i am not afraid for Alien Workshop, i think Rob will not change it so much.
Maybe the structure from Office/Distribution/ Design and move it to cali.
But that makes sense if he will "control" DNA/Alien/Habitat.
But Habitat he will change complete to an "life style" company, so he need to
change the Distribution first.

I think Alien is Rob?s "hobby" and giving DNA some credibillity
and Habitat he try to make a cashcow out of it.
Skateboards/clothing/shoes + livestyle shit....
Core/Alien and Mainstream/Habitat goes hand in hand and the winner is Rob Dyrdek.

Anything else doesnt make sense.
Changing someting like Alien is just stupid.
You dont give money to buy one of the most legit Hardgood Company to make it shitty.
You dont make that money with hardgoods, the cost of changing it is just wasted money.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »
Im 35 and I buy more skate product now than ever.
Old folks may not have the time like young kids, but we have jobs.
Oh Im riding an alien now... Jakes board.

I agree, I'm 28 and whenever I go to a skate shop I almost never leave with nothing unless the store has nothing in my size. I'll always pick up a pair of shoes, sometimes a deck if its one I wanna hold onto.

93tilinfinity

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
no what i'm saying the dudes that like Dill are older dudes, dudes who that get free boards or cheap boards or ride shop boards and their buddies company boards. I New Orleans i dont see many 16 year old kids giving a fuck about Jason Dill, he probably has one of the worst selling boards on Workshop. I would guess the dudes selling boards are Grant, Dylan, and Omar.
People on here seem to never realize who buys skateboards, 28 year old dudes that like Ricky Oyola, Jason Dill, and any other legend dont buy them. They may pick up a wall hanger every now and then but they aren't riding pro decks on a regular basis.
That's very true! I don't buy boards. Fuck that. Even funnier, I'm riding an Alien board right now and I have another Alien waiting to be set-up. The only thing that sucks about free boards is that you don't get to pick the size or shape.... but skating is still fun. I can't complain.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Alex Olson can jump ship just before Pretty Sweet, thus extending his video part drought.  Get Fat Bill involved.  Call it....Vice Skateboards, sold exclusively at American Apparel stores in very limited stock. 

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Alex Olson can jump ship just before Pretty Sweet, thus extending his video part drought.  Get Fat Bill involved.  Call it....Vice Skateboards, sold exclusively at American Apparel stores in very limited stock.  

Judging from your attempt at humour, it must be 2006 where you live.