Author Topic: Sponsored SLAP skaters?  (Read 6339 times)

Strike A Pose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
Sponsored SLAP skaters?
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
I know a few of you guys here are pretty good and have some sponsors (happenstance? I think you were one of them), whether it be shop level discounts or some type of flow.

I think it would be cool if you could detail your experiences.

How did you get put on etc etc?

+I've just been thinking about "importance" of being sponsored as a skater and was wondering how it applied in reality.

Post your stories!

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
Re: Sponsored SLAP skaters?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »
one time i got sponsored and then quit skateboarding

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:33 PM »
what about those dudes with jean shorts and transition lenses that come up to you and tell you they were sponsored by some major company and but they got kicked off cause they broke their leg?

trannies and mannies

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
what about those dudes with jean shorts and transition lenses that come up to you and tell you they were sponsored by some major company and but they got kicked off cause they broke their leg?
Ive seen plenty of those

Avicci

• Rep: -71
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:27 AM »
Got sponsored, by becoming friends with sponsored skaters. Ride for Altamont and Nike (flow).

"chill out on the yo flips theo we only want whats best for you!"

noraanosliw

• Rep: -42
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »
i simply work with a company "boostboards" and helped with design and production of the product... then i sliped my footage on the CEO's desk and he thought it was radical and was realy sicked on my lay boack powereslides and the fact that i can fly off curbs if needed.

It has been nothing but good vibes and getting pitted in the concrete waves of life.

#1 dedication
#2positive attitude
#3never give upnever cry infront of the camera
#4sick moves
#5 always give yourself props.

fuckedupretard

• Rep: -25
  • power ollie
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »
worst thread ever

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:10:20 AM »
#4sick moves

i hope there is no camera around because this had me in tears.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:03:42 AM »
i simply work with a company "boostboards" and helped with design and production of the product... then i sliped my footage on the CEO's desk and he thought it was radical and was realy sicked on my lay boack powereslides and the fact that i can fly off curbs if needed.

It has been nothing but good vibes and getting pitted in the concrete waves of life.

#1 dedication
#2positive attitude
#4sick moves

this dude is the best
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 07:12:11 AM »
from my experience getting on a shop is more supporting the scene, skating a bunch, and making friends with the owners and all the riders.
Don't just be another kook asking for a discount, if they're moving ramps at a demo offer some assistance, be nice to local kids and be a positive ambassador at anything skateboard related. But all that advice ism probably uselsss considering the local non corporate skate shop is slowly being pushed out of  a lot of citys. Oh yeah and never say "I can get this cheaper online" while in the shop, especially when you don't have to tolls to put a board together and will be in there next week asking for help with your new complete

johnnymousedoom

• Rep: -21
  • skateBOARd
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:20 AM »
i just get some discounts for being nice and being vegan. sometimes, also because i spend lots of money at my shop. and I always bring people there.
i don't need the discount, but i am stoked that sometimes they give me discounts nevertheless.
if the people who work at my local shop came to my work, you bet your asses i'd give them discounts on shit.
I skateboard, fuck da poleeeeece

noraanosliw

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
i just get some discounts for being nice and being vegan. sometimes, also because i spend lots of money at my shop. and I always bring people there.
i don't need the discount, but i am stoked that sometimes they give me discounts nevertheless.
if the people who work at my local shop came to my work, you bet your asses i'd give them discounts on shit.

free vegetables and hemp underwear!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:31 AM »
^^Shut the fuck up, looooongboarder

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:17:30 AM »
This is pretty much how it is for me too, except for the vegan part.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

blackmarylin

• Rep: -14
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
I do drugs with the owner of my local shop so yeah like they said discounts baby

foureyedjim

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
from my experience getting on a shop is more supporting the scene, skating a bunch, and making friends with the owners and all the riders.
Don't just be another kook asking for a discount, if they're moving ramps at a demo offer some assistance, be nice to local kids and be a positive ambassador at anything skateboard related. But all that advice ism probably uselsss considering the local non corporate skate shop is slowly being pushed out of  a lot of citys. Oh yeah and never say "I can get this cheaper online" while in the shop, especially when you don't have to tolls to put a board together and will be in there next week asking for help with your new complete

I'll continue to strictly shop CCS and ride ebay blanks.

Fuck dis industry!

Bitch I'm in these streets!

::)

noraanosliw

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »

looooongboarder ? bro boostboarding and longboarding are two different worlds... dont make me break it down for you.

i bet if Kurt Cobain was still alive he would shred the gnar on a long board...

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

looooongboarder ? bro boostboarding and longboarding are two different worlds... dont make me break it down for you.

but he wouldnt be radical. he cried infront of a camera.

noraanosliw

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

but he wouldnt be radical. he cried infront of a camera.

fuck i didnt know he was a cry guy... guys will will have to hault production of this board  :'(   sorry THE SNAKE i know your bummed.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 10:46:45 AM »
There was a contest at our park a few years ago and the owner of one of the local shops asked me if I would wanna skate for them and go with them on some trips and stuff. It was fun while it lasted, but said shop has since closed down :( It was a cool experience though for sure. It was nice to not have to worry as much about breaking boards and stuff like that plus the whole crew was really nice and fun, and it was really motivating to be around people that were older/better than I was.

im probably lying

kmdoom

• Rep: -18
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 12:37:14 PM »

It has been nothing but good vibes and getting pitted in the concrete waves of life

#1 dedication
#2positive attitude
#4sick moves

wow
so you are now a thing here

noraanosliw

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
Expand Quote

It has been nothing but good vibes and getting pitted in the concrete waves of life

#1 dedication
#2positive attitude
#4sick moves

[close]
wow
so you are now a thing here

we can be newbie bff's ... please tell me you own a longboard!!!

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
Sponsored by mum.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
I suck donkey balls at skating but have managed to not pay full price for product in Sooo many years
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
I got some stickers from a Lego Bionicle rep at an indoor skatepark when I was 13. I gave him my email and he took a photo of me like doing a small board slide or something. He said he'd keep in touch and barring any unforeseen circumstance I was part of the team. Never heard from him again. Does my short stint with Lego count?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 06:05:18 PM »

#1 dedication
#2positive attitude
#4sick moves

Radical brah! Now you can have all the boostboards you ever wanted! No, seriusly guys, is that the way to go in Corporate Western Civilization today? Just put a tape with my finest kickflip 5-0s, backtails and frontside flips, dont hurt yourself, because face it: you are not getting any younger...

Oh yes, I lost the track, so sorry! Anyway, make some non-skating people with (preferably) marketing degrees see ones rather average tricks and sign that contract ASAP! Im sure we are talking good money here, and of course, the mightier the "xXxtreem Brand", the fatter the check.

For real though, my (s)crew of four got 750 dollars for an hour work, shooting for a catalog. The "client" asked for photos of us skating their parkbench/curb. It was pretty tricky, the damn thing suffered a poor-design related affliction. I mean, nobody that skates would design something like that but we made it work, easy money! One step closer towards that Street League million dollars! I also won two tiny contests in our park, great feeling of getting a free deck, so encouraging to see people liking your skating!

Must be great to be sponsored, Im sure the product alone can make a great contribution to the future success. Especially in the very beginning...

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
i took the common way

within 1,5 years of skateboarding i've learned how to ollie, 5050, 50, kickflip, heelflip, nollie, boardslide, noseslide, tailslide, fs ollie, bs ollie,
 fs boardslide, shuvit, shuvit tailgrab, "indy", coffin, k-grind, benihana, 360 flip (i can only do the rotation), fakie varial, manual, KF-manual, rock to fakie, storm flip, dolphin flip, kf-indy, ollie a 3 stair, ollie a 4 stair, ollie a 5 stair, early grab down a 2 ft drop, and some other shit like bs noseblunts.

then i wrote down a trick list and mailed it to various companies

guess what, now i ride for element and plan B.

pretty rad, do it kidz, it's eazy.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:34:46 PM by pica »

OldSkull666

• Rep: 1
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
Rode for Smash Skates. Got sponsored after winning the L.A Massacre.
Mr. Flood was such a nice fella.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »
i blew a dude the other day for a termite board.

i'm 25.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »
Rode for Smash Skates. Got sponsored after winning the L.A Massacre.
Mr. Flood was such a nice fella.

So how was banging Hook's sister?

Anyways,