Author Topic: Bones bushings, hard vs. medium question  (Read 16190 times)

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Bones bushings, hard vs. medium question
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
I love my set of bones mediums when it comes to how they turn and the rebound, but I hate how they lose that true "medium" feel so quickly. I love how they are when you first put them on, but then it seems like after two weeks of skating they get softer and thus the trucks feel looser, so I have to keep tightening them to keep that true medium feel that i like. I have to keep tightening them and tightening them every two weeks since they keep loosening up, and i just think it's a hassle.

On the other hand, ive heard that when you buy the hards and wear em in after skating, they get softer and keep that true medium feel. Now, I've tried my friends board who had a set of new bones hards on it one time, and they felt a bit too tight for my tastes. Like, they were straight up tight has hell. I looked at my friends trucks and he had the nut a little less than flush with the kingpin, and he didnt have the bottom washers on, yet they still felt super tight. My question is, to those of you who skate the hards, how long does it take for them to wear in and start to feel medium? I don't mind putting up with riding tight trucks and tick tacking for a bit as long as they eventually wear in to that true medium feel i like, but how long does it usually take?

otis shredding

Re: Bones bushings, hard vs. medium question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
you can give those nice broken in mediums to me. it takes about 69-420 hours to break in those hards.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »
By all means, if you want them they're yours. The sides are pretty damn shredded and the bottom of all the bushings is all shredded too, but the core is still intact to the urethane so they should still turn good.

Forte

• Rep: -7
  • "Larry Perkins is a Faggot"
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
it all depends on how you skate. i skate a little bit of everything and it took about 3 weeks to fully break in. i like mine on the tighter side, so i found myself tightening the truck a lot in the beginning. you do have to start with no bottom washer, and with the nut barely on until you break them in enough to get a bottom washer in there. I love them, i'd give them a shot.
Opinions are like assholes and you just came to the public toilet of skateboarding.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »
it all depends on how you skate. i skate a little bit of everything and it took about 3 weeks to fully break in. i like mine on the tighter side, so i found myself tightening the truck a lot in the beginning. you do have to start with no bottom washer, and with the nut barely on until you break them in enough to get a bottom washer in there. I love them, i'd give them a shot.
i did the same thing, after 2-3 weeks they became too loose, so i put the bottom washer on and they're perfect since that, it was 3 months ago....

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
After 2-3 weeks they became too loose? Are you talking about the hards or mediums? I cant imagine the hards would get too loose after only 2-3 weeks, they seem too hard and stiff for it to become really loose in that short amount of time. I know that the mediums get pretty loose after skating them for a couple weeks though.

G.Lewis

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
Boil the hards for a good 10-15 minutes, or longer.  They won't melt.  Then take the hard lower bushing and a new medium top and use that set up.  You'll have a perfect medium feel that will last forever.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »
After 2-3 weeks they became too loose? Are you talking about the hards or mediums? I cant imagine the hards would get too loose after only 2-3 weeks, they seem too hard and stiff for it to become really loose in that short amount of time. I know that the mediums get pretty loose after skating them for a couple weeks though.
i'm talking about the hards, and yes after 2-3 weeks you have to tighten them cause they're break-in, but if you put the bottom washer, the fucking tighten job is over and you have a long lasting medium set-up
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:44:19 PM by the snake »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:03:08 AM »
Just got the hards today. Put them on my trucks with no bottom washers and the nut flush with the kingpin. They were really stiff and tight at first and had very little give on them when I would lean to turn, but after skating for an hour and doing a lot of carving I could feel em already starting to break in and start to have more give to them when im turning. Pretty stoked.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
you won't regret it

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
true medium??
if its medium, and its to "soft" for you, then you like hard bushing. the mediums are not TO soft.. they are medium.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »
Basically, he wants hards that are broken in already. You gotta do that work yo'self foo!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
I can couch for broken in hards = fresh mediums out of the box. It takes a while tho.

I'll also say that a Hard bottom + Medium top is the shit.

Been riding ACEs with hards and Khiro hard pivot cups, dreamy.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
So it's been almost two weeks since I've put the hards in and I gotta say I'm lovin them. After the first week of skating they're already feeling broken in and feel just like how brand new mediums feel. Stickin with hards from now on.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »
I can couch for broken in hards = fresh mediums out of the box. It takes a while tho.

Been riding ACEs with hards and Khiro hard pivot cups, dreamy.

by "top" do you mean the one closest to the baseplate?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 05:03:21 AM »
medium top hard bottom is most sex,
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 05:36:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

by "top" do you mean the one closest to the baseplate?

Agreed! and i would say the top is the part with the nut,
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:38:16 AM by dirtyweemidden »

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:13 AM »
hard bottom medium top in the back, medium bottom and hard top up front. That's my favorite combo. No break in time, it doesn't change for the worse over time, and it rebounds fine, and gives just the perfect amount.