Author Topic: Vans Stage 4 Team Shoe  (Read 12669 times)

The Nose Face

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
Re: Vans Stage 4 Team Shoe
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
http://offthewall.tv/video/stage_4

This follow up Video was released showing the Four Pro's testing and designing the shoe from start to finish.

10 minutes of some pretty good skating - some in LA, some in China when they were there back in December...

Looks like Vans is really trying to push this model.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
i feel like i've been fooled to many times by vans. i think this shoe looks great. and hey!, look all these skaters i like worked on it. should be good.
but i have no doubt they will make my feet hurt like crazy like every other pair of vans i have owned.
if people who LIKE how vans feel. design a vans shoe.. well.
i'm pretty sure if i ordered a pair.. it would be shame on me.

BTW. does anyone notice the picture of the shoe on the vans site. is different the premiers pictures? namely the heel cap. not on on the vans site. heel cap in the premier shop shots.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
that video is mia. any help anyone?

jokesesh

• Rep: -2
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:07 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=58714.msg1602195#msg1602195 date=1326817223
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can someone explain the wafflecup construction to me? I tried searching google and the vans website but couldn't find anything.. I want to know how they combined the cup with vulc.. This would be a great shoe for Weartested
[close]

I have a pair coming in the next few days. A sample of fall 12, Chris Pfanner has a low in black/white this time.
[close]

Oh shit -  very cool, Clemens. I Always dug your in-depth reviews!

Please post some pics when you receive them - I'm hoping it looks like the Andrew Allen model, but only black (the others don't seem to be as good, and the sole seems chunky and fucked up).

I agree with the posting here - $70 for a van's shoe seems pricey; but i received mine last week, and they feel great.

I have some Janoski's with some life left in them - but these are definitely next. 

The support and feel is definitely noticeable - I'm thinking it's a better idea with the Waffle Cup Sole Vs. the "Pro" Classic Models.

The Pro Classics always seemed to lose the board feel with the extras padding; these seem to provide the support but not the board feel either.

Yo i wear a size 8.5 but 8 in the vans era pros. What size should i get for these?

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:43 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=58714.msg1602195#msg1602195 date=1326817223
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can someone explain the wafflecup construction to me? I tried searching google and the vans website but couldn't find anything.. I want to know how they combined the cup with vulc.. This would be a great shoe for Weartested
[close]

I have a pair coming in the next few days. A sample of fall 12, Chris Pfanner has a low in black/white this time.
[close]

Oh shit -  very cool, Clemens. I Always dug your in-depth reviews!

Please post some pics when you receive them - I'm hoping it looks like the Andrew Allen model, but only black (the others don't seem to be as good, and the sole seems chunky and fucked up).

I agree with the posting here - $70 for a van's shoe seems pricey; but i received mine last week, and they feel great.

I have some Janoski's with some life left in them - but these are definitely next. 

The support and feel is definitely noticeable - I'm thinking it's a better idea with the Waffle Cup Sole Vs. the "Pro" Classic Models.

The Pro Classics always seemed to lose the board feel with the extras padding; these seem to provide the support but not the board feel either.
[close]

Yo i wear a size 8.5 but 8 in the vans era pros. What size should i get for these?

Hard to say - I rock a 10.5 in regular Era's ( I think I might be a 10 for the Era Pros though - they run a little different I think).

Sounds like our sizing is similar in both of our experiences with it being 1/2 size off with the pros.

I would tell you 8.5 - but of course, go try it on in a brick and mortar if you can find it.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Heads up everyone! The lows at SPOT are $57.00 and the mids are $68.00. Free shipping too.

hesaidwhat?

• Rep: -2
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
vids back

LooseTrux

• Rep: 1
  • Landing primo since 1995
    • ALL THINGS FUNKY avatar image
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
Question for all of you:
Anyone remember the Versa (Olson's model iirc)? Didn't sell too well, but I actually got a pair, and I'm fairly certain they were some kind of a "WaffleCup."
If so (and the Stage 4's are clearly improvements upon that) then I think these will be some of the toughest skate shoes around.
My Versa's are still in commission (despite the useless toe stitching undoing itself very early on), and the soles stood up to a lot of wear and tear. I rarely skate in them anymore but I must give respect for long lasting shoes and construction

i feel like i've been fooled to many times by vans. i think this shoe looks great. and hey!, look all these skaters i like worked on it. should be good.
but i have no doubt they will make my feet hurt like crazy like every other pair of vans i have owned.
if people who LIKE how vans feel. design a vans shoe.. well.
i'm pretty sure if i ordered a pair.. it would be shame on me.

always my issue. What's saved me is replacing the stock Vans insoles with SoleTech insoles (or similar, with built-in support). I have always had flat feel and low arches so Vans are sometimes painful even for chilling...
Of course you run into the issue of the insoles not fitting the shoes properly, but if you're desperate, that should save you some pain...shin splints from your shoes are no fun.

b.v.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
Question for all of you:
Anyone remember the Versa (Olson's model iirc)? Didn't sell too well, but I actually got a pair, and I'm fairly certain they were some kind of a "WaffleCup."
If so (and the Stage 4's are clearly improvements upon that) then I think these will be some of the toughest skate shoes around.
My Versa's are still in commission (despite the useless toe stitching undoing itself very early on), and the soles stood up to a lot of wear and tear. I rarely skate in them anymore but I must give respect for long lasting shoes and construction
The versa sole is a true cupsole. Closer to the av era and no skool. Stage 4 looks like a vulc sole, much like the paquard. They are noticeably stiffer though, meaning they will hold their shape better.

LooseTrux

• Rep: 1
  • Landing primo since 1995
    • ALL THINGS FUNKY avatar image
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Question for all of you:
[close]
The versa sole is a true cupsole. Closer to the av era and no skool. Stage 4 looks like a vulc sole, much like the paquard. They are noticeably stiffer though, meaning they will hold their shape better.

ahh, thanks.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
My shop just got them in not to long ago and they're fucking sick. They aren't necessarily narrow like eras so I'll say that they fit true to size. Vans just sent them to my house for review so shit should be going down shortly.

Also, the Pacquard is the updated version of the Versa. Basically, the Versa was their first try at doing the whole waffle cup technology but it didn't get to much love. For those who did skate the Versa, I've heard nothing but amazing testimonials. At my shop, they've got a couple of pairs still sitting in the sale section so I'm probably going to snag a pair.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:21 AM »
I've got Versas and the Arcatas.  Both have the same sort of vulk-esque cupsole.  Thin enough to feel your board and very grippy.  Definitely pick up one of the two if you get the chance.
For Your Health

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:39 AM »
people need to stop bumping this thread, im TRYING not to but these shoes and everytime i see this thread im that little bit more tempted

DerpyHooves

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Damn, the Andrew Allen lows look so rad. And I've always liked in skating Vans, so those seem like they would definitely be an enjoyable shoe to skate in.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
Saw them for the first time at a Vans store.  The upper is not flimsy at all even though it looks like it is. 

Grabbed a pair of Versa's for $29 at Industrial's outlet, which are cup sole.  I can see the generational transition from Versa > Pacquard > Stage 4.

One thing that kinda trips me out about the Stage 4 is how much the rubber side wall slopes in.

#1 Tic-Tacker

• Rep: -5
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »
Just got these black stage 4 lows and a pair of regular old skools in the same purchase.  The flexibility is pretty much equal.  I feels just like a vulc shoe. I honestly think the old skools will hold up a lot better because the outsole is so much higher than on the stage 4s.  The stage 4s are pretty comfy but the rear part of the ankle is giving me blisters on my achilles even with socks.  The suede upper seems really durable though.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
skated the allen's right out of the box. vans usually take at least 3 days to break in, but these took 20 minutes,
i regained so many tricks back today. these are NOT your average vans.

dumptruck12

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: -104
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
They are pretty shitty, like the glue on the sole sucks so the bottom part of my shoe is ripping off, and it has happened to everyones shoe that has bought it...and I only wore my shoes one day! pretty lame.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
skated the allen's right out of the box. vans usually take at least 3 days to break in, but these took 20 minutes,
i regained so many tricks back today. these are NOT your average vans.
dunno about this...

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
yeah 2 weeks into my 3rd pair i finally got a glue defect situation happening. all around. especially heel part's coming apart from the upper. fucking done with stage 4s. time to try the av natives!

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
X
They are pretty shitty, like the glue on the sole sucks so the bottom part of my shoe is ripping off, and it has happened to everyones shoe that has bought it...and I only wore my shoes one day! pretty lame.
L
yeah 2 weeks into my 3rd pair i finally got a glue defect situation happening. all around. especially heel part's coming apart from the upper. fucking done with stage 4s. time to try the av natives!
K

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »
I've got Versas and the Arcatas.  Both have the same sort of vulk-esque cupsole.  Thin enough to feel your board and very grippy.  Definitely pick up one of the two if you get the chance.

I am just about to retire my pair of Versas and I have to say that the cup/waffle sole is amazing.  I'm pretty much skating on the insoles now and I still don't want to let them go.  I've been looking to buy another pair on Ebay, but shipping is insane to Canada.