Author Topic: new nyjah huston machinery!  (Read 9242 times)

benny Haana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: new nyjah huston machinery!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
he can clearly do tricks

mad boring tho

Harem

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wow, that fat kid. is he slow? he couldnt get any of the numbers right on his hand.
[close]
As in Matt Price, Skateboard Mag staff photographer and I think as of recent editor as well...
[close]
i dont really give a fuck who he is,  but hes fat and obviously  doesnt skate much, an dhangs out at the berrics, so ya, hes a fucking kook.

Dude can actually skate pretty well..

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
Matt Price is pretty fucking rad.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
nothing boring about this guy. and if you think he has no style you really are dumb. calling someone a robot or machine is just an attempt to dismiss them and make yourself feel better for not having as much talent. saying youd rather watch someone with "style" simply means that you want to see someone do some easy trick you can do and struggle with it like you would. grow up already.

zoltan

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
for some reason i could see nyjah getting into some crazy scandal like tiger woods or some shit, maybe I'm just hoping that it will someday happen
[close]

i don't see nyjah quitting skating for woodshop anytime soon. He does party a lot though
[close]
I'm talking full blown breakdown like getting caught at the airport trying to smuggle massive amounts of heroin in his ass, or someone finding out that he's roofied every girl he's slept with because he is a cyborg and he doesn't want anyone to remember his inner layer of metal and wires

damn. somebody needs to leak that nyjah/nathan groff sextape then.

mays gilliam

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
nothing boring about this guy. and if you think he has no style you really are dumb. calling someone a robot or machine is just an attempt to dismiss them and make yourself feel better for not having as much talent. saying youd rather watch someone with "style" simply means that you want to see someone do some easy trick you can do and struggle with it like you would. grow up already.
This guy is absolutely right. Accept it.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

otis shredding

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
in no way am i disputing his talent, he is arguably one of the best skaters, but he has more of a lack of style which makes it less entertaining to watch even though his tricks are completely mind blowing. i like to watch someone who makes skateboarding look fun and skates somewhat similar things that i skate. i just don't find jumping down 16+ stair rails and landing without one imperfection for 3 minutes is entertaining

zoltan

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »
:48 dear god, what will he do next...

!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
impressive, and boring, who was the fat lame dude talking to the camera? like seriously? skateboarding doesn tneed anyore fatdudes clinging, we only have room for wenning.

matt price is the shit! and if you will elaborate for me a little bit, what exactly does 'skateboarding need'? enlighten me.

asakusa75

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:58 AM »

!

Holy shit.

Pooch

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 04:14:18 AM »
Hes an athlete not a skateboarder.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
Damn it's so awkward seeing Nyjah push.

slickazballz

• Rep: -5
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's obviously difficult to criticize the skating of someone like Nyjah because he's objectively an excellent skateboarder.  But I don't think the root of the criticism is what you believe it is - at least for the older skaters.  Back in the day, the culture around skateboarding was very different.  There wasn't an emphasis on having tricks "on lock".  It seemed a lot more spontaneous and rightly or wrongly focused a lot more on culture - kids hanging out together in the city on weekends etc., finding new spots, probably doing things they shouldn't be and trying not to get arrested.  There weren't lots of skateparks so you spent a lot of time traveling around skating a place for as long as you could before you'd get kicked out and you therefore didn't have the opportunity to keep trying the same thing over and over again under ideal conditions.  Because the skaters weren't focused on mastering a skill per se the skating seemed more exciting and unpredictable.  The contest skaters like Nyjah on the other hand come at it from a completely different angle.  The focus is on working to master the various skills while the culture part/spontaneity is an after thought.  While certainly impressive, I can understand why many of the old bastards such as myself find it to be less exciting.   

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »
When you see him bail, it's surprising.

I don't think I can do anything he did on that rail.  If i can, it would take me about an hour or so to land it.

edit: He must love those brown DC cords, every clip he wears it. Even at Dew Tour. 3 straight days.

I might be able to do 1 or 2 of them on a foot high ledge, at best lol

thugnificent

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »

he skateboards more in a week than you do in a year. if hes not a skateboarder, then what are you

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It's obviously difficult to criticize the skating of someone like Nyjah because he's objectively an excellent skateboarder.  But I don't think the root of the criticism is what you believe it is - at least for the older skaters.  Back in the day, the culture around skateboarding was very different.  There wasn't an emphasis on having tricks "on lock".  It seemed a lot more spontaneous and rightly or wrongly focused a lot more on culture - kids hanging out together in the city on weekends etc., finding new spots, probably doing things they shouldn't be and trying not to get arrested.  There weren't lots of skateparks so you spent a lot of time traveling around skating a place for as long as you could before you'd get kicked out and you therefore didn't have the opportunity to keep trying the same thing over and over again under ideal conditions.  Because the skaters weren't focused on mastering a skill per se the skating seemed more exciting and unpredictable.  The contest skaters like Nyjah on the other hand come at it from a completely different angle.  The focus is on working to master the various skills while the culture part/spontaneity is an after thought.  While certainly impressive, I can understand why many of the old bastards such as myself find it to be less exciting.   

im 43.

43s&slappies

• Rep: 2
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wow, that fat kid. is he slow? he couldnt get any of the numbers right on his hand.
[close]
As in Matt Price, Skateboard Mag staff photographer and I think as of recent editor as well...
[close]
i dont really give a fuck who he is,  but hes fat and obviously  doesnt skate much, an dhangs out at the berrics, so ya, hes a fucking kook.
A kook who helped to build the Arizona scene to where it's at today, get coverage for people like jaws, josh hawkins, trapasso, brockel, ryan lay, etc., and a fucking amazing photographer

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:36:59 AM by 43s&slappies »

MisterX

• Rep: 50
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »

I am not saying he isn't good, because obviously he has more talent/skill than I ever will, but I thought skating was all about individuality and personal taste.  Just because he does these outrageous tricks does not mean I have to like him, and personally I get bored watching him skate even in person.  Oh well, to each his own.  I guess I will grow up and be screaming his name at the next Street League.  Thank you for opening my eyes to the sheer awesomeness that is Nyjah.

Also saw these new Chris Cole and Nyjah action figures today

MisterX

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
i dont really give a fuck who he is,  but hes fat and obviously  doesnt skate much, an dhangs out at the berrics, so ya, hes a fucking kook.
[close]
A kook who helped to build the Arizona scene to where it's at today, get coverage for people like jaws, josh hawkins, trapasso, brockel, ryan lay, etc., and a fucking amazing photographer

Price is amazing, and I am so pumped that he has helped so many skaters from outside of the California bubble some proper coverage.  For being colorblind the guy shoots some pretty amazing photos too.  What ever became of Brimley?

slickazballz

• Rep: -5
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

im 43.

Ok.  I'm not sure that that fact alone rebuts what I said though. 

Pooch

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

he skateboards more in a week than you do in a year. if hes not a skateboarder, then what are you

A tad presumptuous. Personally I like the oddballs - the weirdos and the 'amateurs' who make their skating work through force of will - thats where style comes from - not mathematical precision and repetition. Go win some prizes dick head!

doublesteveburger

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
i dont really give a fuck who he is, ? but hes fat and obviously ? doesnt skate much, an dhangs out at the berrics, so ya, hes a fucking kook.
[close]

[close]

Price is amazing, and I am so pumped that he has helped so many skaters from outside of the California bubble some proper coverage.?  For being colorblind the guy shoots some pretty amazing photos too.?  What ever became of Brimley?

no fucking way! he's colorblind?!

bakedRice

• Rep: -20
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

this was the best breakdown of why style/culture matters i have ever read in so short a paragraph.

however, i think nyjahs skating is incredible even if he does practice every day 9-5. he already street skated for a decent amount of time before being "that contest dude", and if anything, his style has gotten way better over the last year or two.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
in painting they say style is made manifest by your limitations (whether they be physical or something else).  if you apply this to the phenom its becomes clear why he has none.

he'll never be my favorite but i hope he keeps skating. the vanguard is rarely pretty. it'll be interesting to see what he's doing in 6-7 years. by then he'll have done so much ridiculous shit and his body will be starting to tell him [quietly at first] that you can't do this on this level forever.  i'm not saying style will emerge, i'm just saying it might be interesting to see if can be something other (more?) than an nbd machine.  not that that's not enough.

when he came out regular on a couple of those i was like "oh go ahead!"

MisterX

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
i dont really give a fuck who he is, ? but hes fat and obviously ? doesnt skate much, an dhangs out at the berrics, so ya, hes a fucking kook.
[close]

[close]

Price is amazing, and I am so pumped that he has helped so many skaters from outside of the California bubble some proper coverage.?  For being colorblind the guy shoots some pretty amazing photos too.?  What ever became of Brimley?
[close]

no fucking way! he's colorblind?!

Pretty sure there was an article in one of the old Skateboard Mags about it.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
According to google, this is the definition of 'stylish skateboarder',

Take a good look Nyjah. It's pretty clear where you went wrong.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »

!
that trick was first try, he didn't even kickflip front blunt it first just straight into that. It was a little strange cuz it tokk him a few more tries to do some easier tricks, but the kid is amazing.

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
I keep forgetting how young he is.  Can you imagine making seven figures at that age?

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »
he have finished last level in skateboarding.

i dont want to skate like him, but if you dont respect this
you havet never skated an rail or tried to do some tech tricks on a flatrail.