Author Topic: new balance enters skate shoe arena  (Read 136500 times)

ZEBRA

Re: new balance enters skate shoe arena
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
All these people romanticizing New Balance and trying to shit on actual skate companies to try to justify buying a pair of NB# in advance... I would wait until you see the shoes before talking about how great they'll be... Doubt they'll be made in the US, doubt they'll look any better than most other skate shoes, doubt they'lll skate any better than existing shoes. Let's be real here, they probably won't bring anything new to the market. Although I say this because, personally, I don't think New Balances look good at all; too many random lines and then a huge N on the side of every shoe.

Weird and sad that there seems to be an anti-skate shoe company sentiment coming along these days... I don't really have anything against buying nike, adidas, etc. But to talk shit about real skate shoe companies and hype up these random corporations coming in? It's fucked up... There should at least be a little pride in the "core" companies if you ask me.

Like the local shop owner(great shop) was talking about the G-6 and how he doesn't want to order any because "sole tech is on the way out," just kind of made me sad that people don't even want to give skate shoe companies a chance anymore and instead are in the corporate corner... Again nothing wrong with corporate shoes, but at least show a little love to the real.

Your shop owner sucks.

ZEBRA

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
I dont wanna talk shit about Fallens since im wearing them since 2007 and i havent tried anything else since that day, but lets say Jamie finally figured it out that Fallen are really uncomfortable shoes to wear (and skate too)...

You've been wearing Fallen's for 5 years and think they're uncomfortable?? Why wear them then??

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
All these people romanticizing New Balance and trying to shit on actual skate companies to try to justify buying a pair of NB# in advance... I would wait until you see the shoes before talking about how great they'll be... Doubt they'll be made in the US, doubt they'll look any better than most other skate shoes, doubt they'lll skate any better than existing shoes. Let's be real here, they probably won't bring anything new to the market. Although I say this because, personally, I don't think New Balances look good at all; too many random lines and then a huge N on the side of every shoe.

Weird and sad that there seems to be an anti-skate shoe company sentiment coming along these days... I don't really have anything against buying nike, adidas, etc. But to talk shit about real skate shoe companies and hype up these random corporations coming in? It's fucked up... There should at least be a little pride in the "core" companies if you ask me.

Like the local shop owner(great shop) was talking about the G-6 and how he doesn't want to order any because "sole tech is on the way out," just kind of made me sad that people don't even want to give skate shoe companies a chance anymore and instead are in the corporate corner... Again nothing wrong with corporate shoes, but at least show a little love to the real.
Quoted this so it made it onto the next page. Spot on.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Liam Baker

• Rep: -50
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
this is fucking shitty, Why is this even happening god dammit
fuck

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »
Expand Quote
remember when Reebok had a skate line with Dgk?

[close]

Everyone who had a pair said they were really sick to skate in.

their problem was, at least for me, that they only had 2 models on different colorways

thunderwood

• Rep: -18
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
...and I'll keep buying my Lakai's thank you very much.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
I can't see this doing well. The way the other big shoe companies won everyone over was by buying up everyone's favorite pros and/or flooding the local guys with product. I don't see New Balance doing that. Also, New Balance Numeric is a fucking stupid name.

MisterX

• Rep: 50
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
I am interested to see how this plays out since it is only a licensing agreement, which basically means Fallen shoes/factory with a New Balance logo on it.  Providing they look decent I would buy a pair before I bought some of the shit Osiris puts out.  I'm also curious to see how they are going to segment the brands to help them from essentially competing with each other.  

Fastfreddy

« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote
I dont wanna talk shit about Fallens since im wearing them since 2007 and i havent tried anything else since that day, but lets say Jamie finally figured it out that Fallen are really uncomfortable shoes to wear (and skate too)...
[close]

You've been wearing Fallen's for 5 years and think they're uncomfortable?? Why wear them then??

Yeah, wut???

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
I'm not sure why I read skateboarding news anymore. I rarely leave satisfied with what I read.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My body is jacked from skating, so over the last 10 years I pretty much exclusively have worn the NB 991, 992 and now 993 series shoes... all made in america... but only their high end shoes are made in America... I believe their mid grade shoes at the mall are not. I hope the # is I must say, but I doubt it. $200 skate shoes... no way.

OKAY so why has no one mentioned PJ Ladd as the first pro???
[close]

God, I hope not.
[close]
It's true.

No bs.

Also confirming PJ is the first pro. Friend is a rep for another brand and has seen the NB line and....he admitted they are really really good.

Edit: In response to someone saying it was rushed just saying it wasn't. They did a good job of keeping it quiet.

Found out the K-Swiss line is "on hold" until a better time to kick it off.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:24:47 AM by SFblah »

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote
It's only fair. Skate companies have been getting into the lifestyle shoe market for the past 5-6 years now.

The Emerica Hopi anyone? You know it's the perfect bong shoe.

[close]

Emerica Hobbit would have been more accurate.

Definitely not more accurate. Those are dwarves. Hobbits don't wear shoes.

corn flakes

• Rep: -15
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak fuck that shit ^ that pic is amazing though

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
The real question is: When are British Knights coming back?

How sick would their skate shoes be?

Or, what about L.A. Gear?

They could introduce the L.A. Gear Lights Skateboard Shoe!

Would this be Dylan's pro model?

"Are you ready to get radical in the strHEAT ZONE, guys?"

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:51:22 PM by Iceman »

ZEBRA

« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My body is jacked from skating, so over the last 10 years I pretty much exclusively have worn the NB 991, 992 and now 993 series shoes... all made in america... but only their high end shoes are made in America... I believe their mid grade shoes at the mall are not. I hope the # is I must say, but I doubt it. $200 skate shoes... no way.

OKAY so why has no one mentioned PJ Ladd as the first pro???
[close]

God, I hope not.
[close]
It's true.

No bs.
[close]

Also confirming PJ is the first pro. Friend is a rep for another brand and has seen the NB line and....he admitted they are really really good.

Edit: In response to someone saying it was rushed just saying it wasn't. They did a good job of keeping it quiet.

Found out the K-Swiss line is "on hold" until a better time to kick it off.

On hold?? Haha. For how many years now?? I hope it's on hold for good.

PJ's the 1st pro?? Fuck that's lame. I guess it doesn't really matter since he was rocking Adidas for awhile there.

Interested to see what their shoes are gonna look like. I guess since the rumor is that they look good, they don't have a huge "N" on the side??

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
"through specialty skateboard and action sports retailers only."
...for about 6months.  

im calling Black Box Disto available in Bob's Stores November 2013

edit: guess i'm a little behind on my bobs inventory:  http://shop.bobstores.com/product_p/101214.htm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:16:40 PM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
Interested to see what their shoes are gonna look like. I guess since the rumor is that they look good, they don't have a huge "N" on the side??

No, they do have the huge "N" on the side.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
...for about 6months. ? 

edit: guess i'm a little behind on my bobs inventory:?  http://shop.bobstores.com/product_p/101214.htm

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!

Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
 [the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]

Vinny Gambini: Is that it?

Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.

Vinny Gambini: And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?

Mona Lisa Vito: They were!

Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Ms. Vito. No more questions. Thank you very, very much.
 [kissing her hands]

Vinny Gambini: You've been a lovely, lovely witness.
hardly art, hardly starving

ZEBRA

« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Now I'm more interested.

Have your friend get some secret, stealth, special op type pics.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
I wonder how many people complaining have bought several pairs of Nikes/converse/adidas.

gripittoripit

• Rep: -36
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
...for about 6months.  

edit: guess i'm a little behind on my bobs inventory:  http://shop.bobstores.com/product_p/101214.htm

Haha next is kohls and famous footwear

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »
Name:   I SUCK!
Position:   SLAP Pal
Rep:    0
Date Registered:   March 28, 2007, 07:24:25 PM
Last Active:   Today at 12:21:05 PM
Ignored by:   1 member

dillanharp

« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
Expand Quote
...for about 6months. ? 

edit: guess i'm a little behind on my bobs inventory:?  http://shop.bobstores.com/product_p/101214.htm
[close]

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!

Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?

Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
 [the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]

Vinny Gambini: Is that it?

Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.

Vinny Gambini: And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?

Mona Lisa Vito: They were!

Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Ms. Vito. No more questions. Thank you very, very much.
 [kissing her hands]

Vinny Gambini: You've been a lovely, lovely witness.

Marisa Tomei appreciation.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
I just heard who the TM is for NB# and people are going to be HYPED!!! One of my favorite skaters!  Also heard a little more on the shoes and stuff sounds pretty good (although I am a pretty strict anti sport shoes company) The stuff has been getting worked on for quite a while and not a rush job, also hear that the team is AMAZING! Official press release is coming at agenda

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »
According to the press release, the only involvement New Balance will have will be some design and shoe technology help.  New Balance will just get a percentage of the revenue.  No big budgets like Nike, Adidas, and Converse. 

With the team announcement at the beginning of the year, I suspect some riders not resigning their contracts with their current shoe sponsors.  My predictions for the team are PJ Ladd, Mark Suicio, and Austin Gillette.

nutsack nipples

• Rep: 8
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »
this news has filled my vagina with untold amounts of sand

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really don't understand the thought process behind putting a fat letter on the sides of all your shoes. I can understand Nike, Adidas, Lakai, etc. using their logos because they are at least aesthetically pleasing but just putting the first letter of your company on there has always looked horrible. It's one of the reasons why I've never had a pair of Adios.

A.J.K.

« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Despite previously stating otherwise, this could be pretty rad actually.  I usually stick to skater owned brands (only Lakai and Huf really), but don't mind buying from outsiders occasionally.

According to the press release, the only involvement New Balance will have will be some design and shoe technology help.  New Balance will just get a percentage of the revenue.  No big budgets like Nike, Adidas, and Converse. 

With the team announcement at the beginning of the year, I suspect some riders not resigning their contracts with their current shoe sponsors.  My predictions for the team are PJ Ladd, Mark Suicio, and Austin Gillette.
Suciu is on adidas.  Let's get some team predictions/confirmations going though.

Jake Johnson? Kevin Terpening? Ryan Lay?

weepsoftly

• Rep: 0
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
Coincidentally, I came across this photo shoot from New Balance Korea in which they appeared to hold a skate clinic while debuting a new skate shoe (presumably for the Asian market), supplying the public with Penny cruisers and longboards to learn on.

More from their flickr account:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52281239@N05/page9/

layback hardflip

• Rep: -1
the beanie's wack.
the hair's wack.