Author Topic: new balance enters skate shoe arena  (Read 136538 times)

Tequila Redbull

Re: new balance enters skate shoe arena
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
The only problem with this is the market might completely shift away from small retail in a few years. The big buyers for these corporate shoe brands are going to do whatever it takes to create more business. Even if it's just a small shoe line, the sale guys for these big chains will get dirty and try to cut out the little guys. It's all about price and cash flow if the corporate chains can offer more opportunity then the price will be too high for the smaller guys.

"But you need to have skate shops because we are the foundation." Bullshit and fuck that. Why would any company for small orders make the same offer as they do for the big buyers.

The big retailers have more buying power i.e. distribution centers, trucks, staff, turn around, etc...basically if we head towards more corporate involvement there will be no more traditional skate shops. Then eventually the market will be downsized and skateboarding won't be a sport or culture anymore it will go back to being another hula hoop or yo-yo.

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So why do we need a new brand to make the same model of skate shoe all the other brands already make and everyone already likes?
[close]

Obviously we dont, but its nice and refreshing to get a new company and try them out or even look at their products. Also it looks like they might be even better then the shoes I mentioned in my previous comment.
[close]
Oversaturation of the market is a good thing?
[close]

Somewhat, I mean you can't say your not thinking of trying them out.
[close]

I'm not thinking of trying them out.
[close]

Why? To me it's interesting that another company is coming in. We don't even have that many. Those corny pictures are major turn offs though...
I'm really not sure if you're trolling or just that stupid. And no, I'm not gonna try them out.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
They should put Zered on the team. Every shoe could be his pro model since the N could be a sideways Z

ZEBRA

« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »

Fuck, I was really trying to resist dropping another image in this thread but that open canvas was just too much...

Nice.

ZEBRA

« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
how about we all just buy whatever skateboarding-related products from companies we like and not care what other companies sell skateboarding products, and then use those products and have fun without constantly being told the skateboarding industry is failing because someone bought products from one company and you bought them from another.

SERIOUSLY. Ive skated my whole life but im not going to be a pro skater, im never going to get paid by the skateboard industry yet Ive given them more money than anything else since middle school

If you didn't read the Jenkem article about corporations in skateboarding, you should check it out. And if you did read it, read it once or twice more. It obviously didn't sink in.

And if you're pissed at the industry cause they "didn't give you anything" or cause you're never gonna make money off of skating, then quit skating.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:46:33 PM by ZEBRA »

ZEBRA

« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So why do we need a new brand to make the same model of skate shoe all the other brands already make and everyone already likes?
[close]

Obviously we dont, but its nice and refreshing to get a new company and try them out or even look at their products. Also it looks like they might be even better then the shoes I mentioned in my previous comment.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Why? To me it's interesting that another company is coming in. We don't even have that many. Those corny pictures are major turn offs though...

Cause New Balance is just another big corporation that's in it for the money and not for the love of skating. Big companies like this is what's ruining skateboarding.

I understand that these companies pushed the smaller companies like Lakai and Soletech to stop peddling shitty quality. But Nike's quality is coming down. You hear stories about people buying Janoski's and they're not lasting as long as the last pair they had. Every company's quality comes down for profit. Nike is doing the samething. Don't be fooled people.

Guy

• Rep: 0

ZEBRA

« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »

He's actually on the Pro team.

Kinda lame, but if we get more Rattray footage, then whatever.

I hope everyone that was on eS' doesn't go here. I could see Justin Eldridge on the team though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:32:42 PM by ZEBRA »

era

« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »
I quite enjoy the videos/campaigns pros start every few years where they bitch and moan about how we're not paying their paychecks anymore.  New Balance and Shop boards for me!  And no I don't care if my "favourite" brands go out of business.  I'm getting the same wood for half the price anyway.

ZEBRA

« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
I quite enjoy the videos/campaigns pros start every few years where they bitch and moan about how we're not paying their paychecks anymore.  New Balance and Shop boards for me!  And no I don't care if my "favourite" brands go out of business.  I'm getting the same wood for half the price anyway.

Damn, if that ain't selling out, I don't know what is......

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
I think it's cool that they're doing it through Blackbox. At least they have people who know what skateboarding is about help run the show. I'm pretty interested to see what the team will be. There are so many gnarly dudes these days that aren't officially on anything. I just hope they don't just sponsor all the Zero/Mystery/Slave dudes that don't have a shoe deal. Think about it, all these dudes are free agents, (to my knowledge.)

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

That right there would be one of the gnarliest teams in skateboarding.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
It's going to be really cool when big corporations put all skater owned businesses out of work and every aspect of skateboarding is run by a bunch of suits in a board meeting. I'm especially looking forward to when skater-made true-and-raw skate videos clear out to make way for music video/TV commercial/reality show style edits that are filled with gimmicks and non skateboard stuff. I'm totally stoked!

balskater

« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Cause New Balance is just another big corporation that's in it for the money and not for the love of skating. Big companies like this is what's ruining skateboarding.

I understand that these companies pushed the smaller companies like Lakai and Soletech to stop peddling shitty quality. But Nike's quality is coming down. You hear stories about people buying Janoski's and they're not lasting as long as the last pair they had. Every company's quality comes down for profit. Nike is doing the samething. Don't be fooled people.

Yeah all of this is true. I heard the Janoski sucks now because they want to sell more team shoes and obviously get more money. Even though it's like 80$...

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
I think it's cool that they're doing it through Blackbox. At least they have people who know what skateboarding is about help run the show. I'm pretty interested to see what the team will be. There are so many gnarly dudes these days that aren't officially on anything. I just hope they don't just sponsor all the Zero/Mystery/Slave dudes that don't have a shoe deal. Think about it, all these dudes are free agents, (to my knowledge.)

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

you must have been sleeping under a rock stevie perez has been on lakai for a min.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

Add Jon Goemann and you're set

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
People who take the time to post on slap you would think have a love for skating,
(Taking the time to discuss all aspects of it online with strangers) It blows my mind that
people are saying this is good, infact it makes me sick... Its not even about the price of shoes,
I dont make that much money, but would not be caught dead in New Balance "skate" shoes.

If you love skating, fucking support skating!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I'm really not sure if you're trolling or just that stupid. And no, I'm not gonna try them out.

Have you read his unnecessary shoe reviews? That should answer your question.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

[close]

lakai

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

[close]

[close]

lakai
or die

ZEBRA

« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

No, that's not cool. That's what they wanted. That's all they needed was some actual skater to tell them what is good and what is bad. Not only do they have that, but the sellout, Jamie Thomas, is backing them and running them through BlackBox, making all the little kids think it's cool.

Without Jamie Thomas selling out, New Balance would have never gotten this far. Fuck New Balance.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »
Expand Quote

PJ Ladd
Dylan Reider
Arto Saari
Jake Johnson
Bobby Worrest
Zered Bassett
Bastien Salabanzi
Ben Raybourne
Massimo Cavedoni
Stevie Perez

[close]

No, that's not cool. That's what they wanted. That's all they needed was some actual skater to tell them what is good and what is bad. Not only do they have that, but the sellout, Jamie Thomas, is backing them and running them through BlackBox, making all the little kids think it's cool.

Without Jamie Thomas selling out, New Balance would have never gotten this far. Fuck New Balance.

Fuck Jamie Thomas for selling out in the first place. The little bit of respect I had for that guy is gone.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
You guys act like he sold Zero to McDonald's or something. Money talks. Nike and Adidas buttfucked all the core shoe companies by offering the best skateboarders a shit load of cash and higher quality footwear, meanwhile ISUCK gets an offer to distribute for a corporate company while maintaining the exact same ownership and direction of the companies he helped build, and he's the guy that gets labeled a sell-out? I say good for him. He's taking advantage of the corporation more than they're taking advantage of him. New Balance has a lot more to lose than Black Box.

In no way do I support the corporate takeover of skateboarding, but I think it's been obvious that skateboarding's economic integrity has been somewhat fucked for a long time before Jenkem decided to point it out to you Janoski wearing hypocrites.

Yes I read that Jenkem article. A lot of it was based off a slippery slope. It states that "If corporate skating begins to dominate there will be little room left for the skating that Louie Barletta, Chris "Mango" Milic, or Jeff Stevens do, there will only be room for the (amazing, but) standardized and predictable skating of Greg Lutzka, Ryan Sheckler, and Nyjah Houston." That right there is complete bullshit and to put Jeff Stevens in the same category as Louie Barletta is blasphemy. There has never been a market for wacky skating without a certain level of talent in the first place. Tim and Eric aren't getting paid to put out their Roger videos, they're doing it because skateboarding is fun as fuck and no amount of cash on the planet will ever change that. With Louie Barletta you could take away the dork tricks and still have one amazingly talented dude. Just because Starbucks exists doesn't mean there aren't better "barista owned" smaller coffee shops whose Latte's haven't been tarnished by the quiff of a corporate mermaid's pussy.

johnnymousedoom

• Rep: -21
  • skateBOARd
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
Don't they make vegan shoes which is why kids who listen to hardcore and ride fixed gear bikes wear them?
they don't saucony does.
I skateboard, fuck da poleeeeece

KennedyPowers

• Rep: -5
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
It's going to be really cool when big corporations put all skater owned businesses out of work and every aspect of skateboarding is run by a bunch of suits in a board meeting. I'm especially looking forward to when skater-made true-and-raw skate videos clear out to make way for music video/TV commercial/reality show style edits that are filled with gimmicks and non skateboard stuff. I'm totally stoked!

yeah bcos pretty sweet was "true and raw"... the best videos for true and raw are made by kids with vxs who dont get paid shit anyway... we will just get more cool underground companys like magenta, there will be a backlash to the commercial shit just like in every other industry - art, music, movies and video games.

lots of people have an agenda bcos they are making money from skating, fuck them skateboarding is about rad missions with your mates not fucking over hyped pros, videographers and photogs who think its important that they have a job. Nobody quit skating when Heath retired, people will keep skating if they love it including the pros even if their companys die and they have to get a 9-5.

suck it up cunts, skating wont die even if i wish it would.

Obama doesn't want you to watch free porn, too much masturbation is slowing the economic recovery

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »
This

Tim and Eric aren't getting paid to put out their Roger videos, they're doing it because skateboarding is fun as fuck and no amount of cash on the planet will ever change that.

And this

Just because Starbucks exists doesn't mean there aren't better "barista owned" smaller coffee shops whose Latte's haven't been tarnished by the quiff of a corporate mermaid's pussy.

I've spent more on 'niche' brand boards in the last 2 years than I probably have on more mainstream ones in the last 10 years.  If theses brands can continue to survive at the moment when they're only appealing to a minority of the available audience then they can probably manage when there are fewer 'core' brands out there

This is not to say I agree with the whole nike\adidas\Zumiez\PacSun or whatever other big corps coming in a shitting on skateboarding when it's no longer considered to be making enough profit, but real skateboarding, the kind that the majority of people who have been doing it for years (and only do it for the love of rolling about on a bit of wood) do will always be there, and as such there will always be somewhere you can get a board. 

I skated in all manner of fucking shite shoes when i started (any cons or vans rip offs I could afford, crap high top basketball boots) as did most of the other skaters I knew.  While this was way back in the mid 80's, skating wasn't any less fun just because I wasn't able to get my hands on Vans Madrids (fuck how i wanted some of them) or real All-Stars.  Sometimes I long for those dark days, and maybe corporations butt fucking core brands out of existence will return us there.

For the vast majority of skaters who skated before Hawk released his video game, skating will outlast the corporate invasion

mfkream

« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:15 AM »
Something we all have to consider is that having the facilities to create a shoe that is perfect for skating might take more resources than the skate industry alone can support.

mfkream

« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »
I guess another hypothetical point to think about is if all these skater owned brands are tricking you into buying an inferior product because they're "skater owned".

I'm a skateboarder for life and want shit to stay as great as it can be but I'm also 32 and have money in the stock market and vote independent. Like you gotta start thinking that everything you believe in is bullshit a little bit, even the most earnest things.

Dirty Daventry

• Rep: -25
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2012, 07:13:17 AM »
Im currently riding a shop board and a pair of Busenitzs. Does my industry support balance out?
Catch me at the crib getting light to Jeff Mangum
It's fun to do bad things like rhyme about handguns

Dirty Daventry

• Rep: -25
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
This doesnt look like that bad a shoe, if they made a skate version i would consider buying it.
Catch me at the crib getting light to Jeff Mangum
It's fun to do bad things like rhyme about handguns