Author Topic: new balance enters skate shoe arena  (Read 136503 times)

SheepShagger

Re: new balance enters skate shoe arena
« Reply #630 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
Lakai's logo is sick. It looks like a skater.

Andrefosho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #631 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
heard dylan was talking to Nike again, but New Balance would be interesting. not sure why Converse didn't try to pick up Dylan, Nike keeps saying they're gonna push Converse hard but Im still waiting.

heard Worrest could be on New Balance as well
[close]
I actually saw him wearing what looked like the new Chad Tim Tim Dekline's.
That would be a good look.
Worrest on dekline? YES!

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #632 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
Bobby on Dekline would be good for him and better for Dekline.

Arto on NB# is kind of weird.

I've heard Dylan is talking to 4 companies right now. I predict he'll get back on Nike but hope he'll get back on Vans.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #633 on: January 12, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
woah, a skate shoe that looks like another skate shoe. ground breaking.
[close]

no shit, right?

Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Black Box's first "marketing scheme" is to get those goddamn N's off the side of the shoe. Real talk until they get rid of that shit 90% of skaters not named Ned, Norman, or Neil arent gonna give them a chance. Aesthetically, it's whack as fuck. Maybe in the running game its not so bad because its an iconic brand, but if you're gonna break into this market you gotta realize skateboarders aren't really gonna fuck with something like that. ESPECIALLY since a good portion of the market is against big corporate brands anyway. Maybe put it on the tongue, or a small logo on the back end of the sole instead, but not on the side panel. Lakai, Nike, & Adidas can do it just because their logos actually look stylish, but a regular ass N or the NB logo is just an eyesore on some otherwise decent (no more, no less) shoe designs.

[close]

are you joking? that's a ridiculous assertion. good portion would be close to a majority and, unfortunately, that's not the reality.

nike and adidas logos look more stylish than the N? they're all weak ass branding symbols that have nothing to do with skateboarding.
[close]

Those comanpies have nothing to do with skateboarding for damn sure, but would you rather have a "N", or a swoosh or 3 stripes?? I think that's what he's saying.
[close]

Exactly. Personally I like the Nike swoosh but I can see how some people may not like the look of it. However, the adidas stripes are fucking perfect. Imagine the Busenitz, one of the best looking shoes out there with an etnies or gravis logo on the side. If you're gonna spam the fuck out of some logo, at LEAST make it look good. That overblown N is an eyesore as the focus point of the side of any shoe. Aesthetically, its straight trash and they'd be better off placing the N & NB logos on a much less conspicuous part of the shoe

what about the HUF "H"? ::)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #634 on: January 12, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »
everyone says that but I don't see it. I pretend that its a dolphin, since our ancestors are surfers I pretend that the ancient surfers would watch the dolphins in the water and try to mimic them with their boards. They would make cave drawings of the dolphins and the drawings would be the Lakai logo. I pretend dolphins are what started our beautiful movements. Also Dolphins are super smart and they are the only other animals who have sex for pleasure.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #635 on: January 13, 2013, 12:03:41 AM »
if Arto getting on NB means he can get another shoe out that's a good as his arto mid on Gravis then I'm down.  That shoe is fucking perfection (the one with the ollie pad)

Will Easley

« Reply #636 on: January 13, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
woah, a skate shoe that looks like another skate shoe. ground breaking.
[close]

no shit, right?

Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Black Box's first "marketing scheme" is to get those goddamn N's off the side of the shoe. Real talk until they get rid of that shit 90% of skaters not named Ned, Norman, or Neil arent gonna give them a chance. Aesthetically, it's whack as fuck. Maybe in the running game its not so bad because its an iconic brand, but if you're gonna break into this market you gotta realize skateboarders aren't really gonna fuck with something like that. ESPECIALLY since a good portion of the market is against big corporate brands anyway. Maybe put it on the tongue, or a small logo on the back end of the sole instead, but not on the side panel. Lakai, Nike, & Adidas can do it just because their logos actually look stylish, but a regular ass N or the NB logo is just an eyesore on some otherwise decent (no more, no less) shoe designs.

[close]

are you joking? that's a ridiculous assertion. good portion would be close to a majority and, unfortunately, that's not the reality.

nike and adidas logos look more stylish than the N? they're all weak ass branding symbols that have nothing to do with skateboarding.
[close]

Those comanpies have nothing to do with skateboarding for damn sure, but would you rather have a "N", or a swoosh or 3 stripes?? I think that's what he's saying.
[close]

Exactly. Personally I like the Nike swoosh but I can see how some people may not like the look of it. However, the adidas stripes are fucking perfect. Imagine the Busenitz, one of the best looking shoes out there with an etnies or gravis logo on the side. If you're gonna spam the fuck out of some logo, at LEAST make it look good. That overblown N is an eyesore as the focus point of the side of any shoe. Aesthetically, its straight trash and they'd be better off placing the N & NB logos on a much less conspicuous part of the shoe
[close]

what about the HUF "H"? ::)

The Huf "H" is decent it looks good on they're lowtop models but those blazer-ripoffs they have with the H on side are whack to me. Large letter logos in general just dont look that great on shoes, dc & fallen included. Not to say that they're all terrible because when they're used more as a small accent they're ok, but when used as a large part of the overall design, it just looks cheap to me. In skate footage you recognize something like the flare, 3 stripes, swoosh, etc. and they just add a little something extra to the overall visual. Letter logos just look like text stamped on the side of the shoe.

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »
if Arto getting on NB means he can get another shoe out that's a good as his arto mid on Gravis then I'm down.  That shoe is fucking perfection (the one with the ollie pad)

this

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #638 on: January 13, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »

you have a lot of imagination...
or good drugs.

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #639 on: January 13, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
everyone says that but I don't see it. I pretend that its a dolphin, since our ancestors are surfers I pretend that the ancient surfers would watch the dolphins in the water and try to mimic them with their boards. They would make cave drawings of the dolphins and the drawings would be the Lakai logo. I pretend dolphins are what started our beautiful movements. Also Dolphins are super smart and they are the only other animals who have sex for pleasure.

you have more imagination or better drugs then SheepShagger.

Swosh is shit.
Lakai Logo is to me like a cheap Swosh Version. I really like the company - but not the logo.
I love shoes without a logo on the side.
Vans Wave is ok. 3 Stripes is ok. It?s not really a logo, so the look of the shoe is still simple.

I like the N of New Balance because it looks sometimes like a Z.

But they have no new crazy technology, they are not produced in U.S.A or U.K,
they just give Jamie Thomas the NB Logo, he steal crappy designs at all the other
Skateshoe companys and produce and marketing by himself... its just a Fallen with an new logo
and some more cash for Marketing.

sounds lame to me.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #640 on: January 13, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
It is gay that they are not made in US or UK, that was going to be a huge positive.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #641 on: January 13, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »
nike swoosh > adidas 3 stripes > vans side stripe > huf h > lakai flare > adio squiggly thing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new balance n

SheepShagger

« Reply #642 on: January 13, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
nike swoosh > adidas 3 stripes > vans side stripe > huf h > lakai flare > adio squiggly thing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new balance n

Lakai logo>all others. Also dolphins will gang up on a mother and baby dolphin, kill the baby just to mate with the mother.

StopSnitchinCuz

« Reply #643 on: January 13, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lakai logo>all others. Also dolphins will gang up on a mother and baby dolphin, kill the baby just to rape the mother.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #644 on: January 13, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
you guys seriously debate what company has the best logo? finally proof of the theory that 90% of the members on this messageboard are 16 year old kids.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:14:58 PM by pica »

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #645 on: January 13, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »
you guys seriously debate what company has the best logo? finally proof of the theory that 90% of the members on this messageboard are 16 year old kids.
I'm 12 and what is this

Albertopadilla408

« Reply #646 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:48 PM »
shut up pikachu

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #647 on: January 13, 2013, 11:48:42 PM »

how else are you gonna decide what you want to get tattooed?

Will Easley

« Reply #648 on: January 14, 2013, 03:21:35 AM »

Explain to me how a discussion over quality logo design (a crucial part in a shoes overall aesthetic) is so petty. Anybody into design, art, or fashion would find this to be an appropriate topic, so maybe I should assume that the 90% kids population is more cultivated than you are.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #649 on: January 14, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
USELESS WOODEN TOY FOOTWEAR BANTER

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: January 14, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Explain to me how a discussion over quality logo design (a crucial part in a shoes overall aesthetic) is so petty. Anybody into design, art, or fashion would find this to be an appropriate topic, so maybe I should assume that the 90% kids population is more cultivated than you are.
if you call a discussion about a brand logo cultivated, i'd love to see you when you argue about stupid superfluous stuff. i'd also suggest you to buy decks with sick logos only. the general rule of thumb: if the logo is looks sick ->it skates good -> buy it.
why does pepsi taste so shitty, their logo is much sicker than the coca cola one. my favourite logo is mercedes benz by the way.
what is your favourite logo?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:33:42 PM by pica »

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #651 on: January 14, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
if you call a discussion about a brand logo cultivated, i'd love to see you when you argue about stupid superfluous stuff. i'd also suggest you to buy decks with sick logos only. the general rule of thumb: if the logo is looks sick ->it skates good -> buy it.
why does pepsi taste so shitty, their logo is much sicker than the coca cola one. my favourite logo is mercedes benz by the way.
easy

For its balance and its cultural significance.

But back to NB# I won't be buying them and am just going to wait for them to fade away.

Will Easley

« Reply #652 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

We're talking about how logo designs affect the overall AESTHETIC of a shoe, not performance fool. Nice try, your whole "display of what you think is my 'shallow' logic" diss wasn't nearly as effective as you hoped it'd be. That's the bad part about catching feelings, it clouds your thinking, soft ass nigga.

zoltan

« Reply #653 on: January 14, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
adidas 3 stripes > vans side stripe > lakai flare >nike swoosh > huf h> adio squiggly thing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new balance n

fixed

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

We're talking about how logo designs affect the overall AESTHETIC of a shoe, not performance fool. Nice try, your whole "display of what you think is my 'shallow' logic" diss wasn't nearly as effective as you hoped it'd be. That's the bad part about catching feelings, it clouds your thinking, soft ass nigga.

i like how you think i follow some kind of strategy while posting, makes me feel like a campaign consultant.
i was just amazed that the way a logo looks could be such a big issue and that you guys have opinions on this.
so if you and your friends wanna keep talking about your favourite polly pocket castle that's ok with me.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:53:54 PM by pica »

Scabie Baby

• Rep: 1
« Reply #655 on: January 14, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/Hz1Wz

Saw this on Facebook earlier today.  (Not sure if posted or not)  But relevant to the NB conversation and straight from the mouth of Jamie T. (granted this is a reliable source and these are actually the words of Jamie Thomas)

Tallahassee

• Rep: 8
« Reply #656 on: January 14, 2013, 04:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

wow wow wow , coke's logo is way better than pepsi's.

Will Easley

« Reply #657 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i like how you think i follow some kind of strategy while posting, makes me feel like a campaign consultant.
i was just amazed that the way a logo looks could be such a big issue and that you guys have opinions on this.
so if you and your friends wanna keep talking about your favourite polly pocket castle that's ok with me.

Like I said, it's an art/design thing. If you're not necessarily into that I wouldn't expect you to care about such things, but there's definitely an "art" to designing a proper logo and as with any kind of art, people are going to critique it. Skate industry aside, if you knew how things worked behind the scenes, theres ALOT that goes into logo design so it ain't like its just some "whatever works" shit. YOU may look at it that way, but in reality logos and how they're implemented with their respective products is crucial in marketing

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #658 on: January 14, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
^design? never heard of it. what is it, has it a cool logo? did you vote in my poll?
if you knew how things worked behind the scenes
i work at a shop, can i consider myself an insider? a marketing expert? an industrial spy? we need to redesign our logo btw (that's internet lingo "by the way" btw), do you have any input concerning art/design?
also the old pepsi logo was hella sick

shred4LF dude Sk8Ordie.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:11:18 PM by pica »

Will Easley

« Reply #659 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »
How awkward is it to try so hard to be funny & NOT really be funny?