Author Topic: Transition dimension help needed  (Read 850 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
Transition dimension help needed
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:03:43 AM »
Hey guys,

I’m here in central Japan. So the city I live in decided to add on a ‘skateboard area’ to the new sports complex they built.

It’s a triangular patch of concrete surrounded by a fence.

That’s it.

So I’ve been talking to city councilors and trying to get the city to install some proper concrete. It looks possible, but I have to come up with a proposal.

So I’ve put out a questionnaire to see what people want. I’m booking at a fairly simple design for beginners (lower manual pad, slidable long curb, flat bar, mellow banks) and question 1 is,

What’s the radius for a mellow quarter for kids?

But it looks like there might be room for a singular piece of gnar. A China Banks replica.

If any PALS are in SF, could I get the measurements for a few things?

How long are the brick walls between the concrete partitions?
How high is the wall? How high is the concrete block on top?
And could I get the dimensions for one of the small benches? (The dimensions of the concrete and how high it sits above the ground and off off the wall?)

It would be since if the China Banks could survive in one form or another, and give Japanese kids a chance to skate it without having to travel overseas.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 99
Re: Transition dimension help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 03:16:16 AM »
china banks replica would be cool but should also probably be considerably more mellow than the actual spot for people to be able to session it.

IpathCats

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 07:08:25 AM »
Hey guys,

I’m here in central Japan. So the city I live in decided to add on a ‘skateboard area’ to the new sports complex they built.

That’s it.

So I’ve been talking to city councilors and trying to get the city to install some proper concrete. It looks possible, but I have to come up with a proposal.

So I’ve put out a questionnaire to see what people want. I’m booking at a fairly simple design for beginners (lower manual pad, slidable long curb, flat bar, mellow banks) and question 1 is,

But it looks like there might be room for a singular piece of gnar. A China Banks replica.

And could I get the dimensions for one of the small benches? (The dimensions of the concrete and how high it sits above the ground and off off the wall?)

It would be since if the China Banks could survive in one form or another, and give Japanese kids a chance to skate it without having to travel overseas.

Really depends on the height. I just built a 2' tall 8' wide qp yesterday. We used a 4' radius. It was perfect for my friends and i who are experienced, so if you're looking for something a bit more mellow while still being a qp and not a weird bank, I would go 4.5' - 5' on a 2' qp. As you scale up in height you want to go for a larger radius obviously. A 4.5' radius on a 4' tall qp would be pretty gnarly haha. So first define your height and then work from there. If you're using wood, you need to remember how the layers of ply affect the shape of a ramp. Similar to how decks have different concave depending on what order they were pressed in (top to bottom). Always try to get concrete is possible though. This site is a helpful tool, but nothing can replace making some mock ups in person. https://www.xtremeskater.com/ramp-plans/ramp-tool/

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 07:22:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey guys,

That’s it.

[close]

Really depends on the height. I just built a 2' tall 8' wide qp yesterday. We used a 4' radius. It was perfect for my friends and i who are experienced, so if you're looking for something a bit more mellow while still being a qp and not a weird bank, I would go 4.5' - 5' on a 2' qp. As you scale up in height you want to go for a larger radius obviously. A 4.5' radius on a 4' tall qp would be pretty gnarly haha. So first define your height and then work from there. If you're using wood, you need to remember how the layers of ply affect the shape of a ramp. Similar to how decks have different concave depending on what order they were pressed in (top to bottom). Always try to get concrete is possible though. This site is a helpful tool, but nothing can replace making some mock ups in person. https://www.xtremeskater.com/ramp-plans/ramp-tool/

Thank you!

Hoping to get it done in concrete. All the outdoor wood parks here go to shit in one year, and become death traps that require constant maintenance

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Turd Jabroni

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 09:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey guys,

That’s it.

[close]

I recently helped build a 2' tall mini with a 5' radius, and those dimensions are definitely very skateable for beginners. 5' radius still feels pretty tight, but people get used to it quickly.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »
china banks replica would be cool but should also probably be considerably more mellow than the actual spot for people to be able to session it.

Yeah this. Maybe an homage rather than an exact replica. There are some parks that do a bank with a sort of bench/platform in the middle and that has a lot more possibility for fun tricks/combos than a china bank replica. China Banks is essentially impossible to skate, do not believe the videos of pros on it.

IpathCats

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 10:00:11 AM »

Thank you!

Hoping to get it done in concrete. All the outdoor wood parks here go to shit in one year, and become death traps that require constant maintenance

Yep, pre fab is a waste of time/money/resources. I have a volunteer group thats becoming a non profit right now, and we're trying to get the parks around us renovated, one of them is a prefab and its just complete trash. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 12:42:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah this. Maybe an homage rather than an exact replica. There are some parks that do a bank with a sort of bench/platform in the middle and that has a lot more possibility for fun tricks/combos than a china bank replica. China Banks is essentially impossible to skate, do not believe the videos of pros on it.

Use tile style stamped red colored concrete.
5 feet radius for the trannie, 45 degree ankle for the bank. 4 feet high- with an 8 inches Granit block on top. Challenging enough for the rest of your life - but the easy baby chill out version from the OG China bank! If someone really coud make detailed measurements just for the nerdery - I woud be appreciated. But it’s something like 75-80 degree ankle with no really transition at the buttom just a Hand Full of tiles in something like a radius.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 12:50:50 PM »
120cm tall quarter would be 240 to 300cm transitions for beginners

Draw it out on the ground to confirm

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 03:26:46 PM »
Thank you all for the input guys!

I especially appreciate the China Bank advice.

But my feeling is that it should be authentic, so that kids can get the thrill of carving it the first time. A nearby skatepark already has a steep yet skatable bank. I may forgoe the high concrete block on top for something lower, but I’d love to preserve the original tranny and wall

Stamped brick is a great idea, I’ll see if it’s possible here.

(I’ve skated the original once, and managed a carve over a short bench. It wasn’t easy, but I loved it)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 04:22:33 PM by cucktard »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 03:58:30 PM »
If you look at quarter pipes built by the modular builders like Skatewave and the like, the transitions are always way bigger that you’d expect. Usually around 7.5’ to 8.5’ radius.

I wouldn’t go smaller than 7’ on a kiddie QP. It’s not gnarly but it’s not supposed to be.