Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 223498 times)

DeepSpace9mm, skatesum609, KBizzle, TastyBurrito and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

TastyBurrito

• Rep: 72

Finally took this thing out for a (non-hydrant) spin. It's so big and small at the same time. It was speedy and stable at the pump track and it climbed up curbs without even trying. Hoping to get a better curb session with this later this week.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • Hellride v. Wellread
Expand Quote
Id suggest one of the 35th Ave shop decks. I've had a few and they are great.
[close]

Forgot to add, looking for a shaped deck.
What's your ideal wheelbase? Do you still want a lot of nose with that? Most of the people in this thread are pretty well versed on what's out there so maybe drop some dims and we can help you.

If you wanna live the shape life, you'll probably have to figure out what you want and then start experimenting with other similar stuff. The sites that consistently list accurate dimensions are Uprise, 35th Ave and unfortunately Tactics. Like you noticed, other sites sometimes list dims but aren't consistent. If you're using a search engine, you can often find the wheelbase listed somewhere if you look for the model name of the deck and then include wb at the end.
Also if i thought a mob of yewwing sweaty californians were about to wrap me up in a pabst-scented covid group hug I'd start pushing the fuck out of there too

skatesum609

• Rep: 21
Expand Quote

[close]

Finally took this thing out for a (non-hydrant) spin. It's so big and small at the same time. It was speedy and stable at the pump track and it climbed up curbs without even trying. Hoping to get a better curb session with this later this week.
Hell yea! What size trucks are you running?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Hellride v. Wellread
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Id suggest one of the 35th Ave shop decks. I've had a few and they are great.
[close]

Forgot to add, looking for a shaped deck.
[close]
What's your ideal wheelbase? Do you still want a lot of nose with that? Most of the people in this thread are pretty well versed on what's out there so maybe drop some dims and we can help you. Sorry went back and saw that you said 9" with a 15 to 15.5" wheelbase.

If you wanna live the shape life, you'll probably have to figure out what you want and then start experimenting with other similar stuff. The sites that consistently list accurate dimensions are Uprise, 35th Ave and unfortunately Tactics. Like you noticed, other sites sometimes list dims but aren't consistent. If you're using a search engine, you can often find the wheelbase listed somewhere if you look for the model name of the deck and then include wb at the end.

EDIT: When the supply chain stabilizes a little bit more, Santa Cruz might put out more of their Preissue decks. They're modern skaters names on old school shapes. They might have the kind of wheelbases you're looking for. For all I know, shops may still have some in stock. Or maybe one of the SC Winkowskis might work for you. Welcome also has some of the longer wbs out there and helped to kick of this whole shaped revival so that might work for you too.
Also if i thought a mob of yewwing sweaty californians were about to wrap me up in a pabst-scented covid group hug I'd start pushing the fuck out of there too

TastyBurrito

• Rep: 72
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

169s. I know some would argue 215s would be better, but the 169s feel stable, turn great, and don’t feel like they’re sticking out too much.

Mink

• Rep: 3
Can anyone suggest a 9" deck with a 15" or 15.5" wheelbase that has steep-ish concave, average kicks, bonus if it's from a known-good woodshop?

Been a while since I've had a board, and a lot of the deck descriptions I'm running into don't mention geometry, or sometimes even wheelbase(!).

I handled a Polar 1992 shape last year in a shop and it seemed really nice, but the wheelbase was like fourteen and a quarter.

The Plan B Hensley Firebird king size tapers to under 9" over the rear trucks, with a 15" WB. PS wood.

skatesum609

• Rep: 21
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

169s. I know some would argue 215s would be better, but the 169s feel stable, turn great, and don’t feel like they’re sticking out too much.
Na they look perfect. I’m looking forward to swapping the 215s out for ace 66s

kimura

• Rep: 15
Yea that looks good. Im pretty sure Natas never rode 215's back in the day.

chat noir

• Rep: 2
Thinking of picking up this. Sick shape. Tail is small!

https://hardbodyskateboards.com/shop/ols/products/hardbody-beast-board-9

fls.dcht

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
Can anyone suggest a 9" deck with a 15" or 15.5" wheelbase that has steep-ish concave, average kicks, bonus if it's from a known-good woodshop?

Been a while since I've had a board, and a lot of the deck descriptions I'm running into don't mention geometry, or sometimes even wheelbase(!).

I handled a Polar 1992 shape last year in a shop and it seemed really nice, but the wheelbase was like fourteen and a quarter.
[close]

The Plan B Hensley Firebird king size tapers to under 9" over the rear trucks, with a 15" WB. PS wood.

Yeah, that looks pretty good. Can't tell if the concave is more mellow or aggressive though. Also, $80's a bit steep..

Mink

• Rep: 3
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, that looks pretty good. Can't tell if the concave is more mellow or aggressive though. Also, $80's a bit steep..

It has a pretty aggressive concave, far more than a Winkowski preissue (which is flat as fuck in comparison).

Prices vary a lot from shop to shop. I copped mine for the price of any standard deck (90 CAD, so about 70 USD), but I have seen other shops charging a premium.

Thom

• Rep: 119
That’s gonna be the new norm dude

Sucks to say but I think this whole supply and demand price increase is going to be permanent

I expect decks to be $65 and up from now on, with shaped and reissue being more

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Hellride v. Wellread
That’s gonna be the new norm dude

Sucks to say but I think this whole supply and demand price increase is going to be permanent

I expect decks to be $65 and up from now on, with shaped and reissue being more
If anything, $80 is still too low but it's a round number so I bet it will stick. We were paying $75 when decks were $50

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
I just set up this Blockhead Streetstyle as a slappy / cruiser.  Pretty crazy to ride, as theres no weight in the nose and the tails kinda long, its super light to get the wheels up.  It's super light in general, as it's kinda small.  These were originally made in 1986 and were one of the first boards to have a 'long nose'.  Kinda looks like a bart simpson / comic book version of a skateboard, and I love it.  Shits flat as a tack, so it's a trick staying on with slappies, but it kinda makes it more fun.  They only made 31 of the pink, 62 in total.

Spitfire F4 97a Classics, 56mm - Love em! Been looking for a wheel that feels like a hard wheel thats a touch more forgiving
Indy Stage 10 149s - been a while since i've ridden anything but 169 Indys and while these turn a bit slower, which might be a stage 10 thing, but anyway, theyre good.  It's nice to have a new truck to grind.  Had these sitting around for 10 years, good to use em. 

Board specs
    Screen printed graphics top and bottom
    Art by Dave Bergthold
    Dimensions: 9.125 x 30.125”, 15.5” wheelbase, 6.625 tail, 4.25” nose (longer because of modern hole pattern)
    Construction: 7-ply Maple
    New School hole pattern
    Concave: 1985 original, mellow tail, minimal concave, flat nose. 
    Manufactured by Watson Laminates, San Diego CA
    Original release date 1986, Reissue date 2020