Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread  (Read 2431532 times)

Donkey Lips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread
« Reply #10980 on: July 15, 2020, 08:15:16 AM »
Damn, the dunk mid with the strap.
Didn’t they run lows with a Velcro strap for a some pairs? I think Malto wrecked his ankle in a pair.

Never seen a low with a strap. The mids almost always have a strap. Malto broke his shit off in p-rod 7s.

coneklr

« Reply #10981 on: July 15, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
If any shops on here want to help a skater skate some dunks, please help me find those new mids!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:43:17 AM by coneklr »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #10982 on: July 15, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn, the dunk mid with the strap.
Didn’t they run lows with a Velcro strap for a some pairs? I think Malto wrecked his ankle in a pair.
[close]

Never seen a low with a strap. The mids almost always have a strap. Malto broke his shit off in p-rod 7s.

Damn you’re right it was a PRod

I swear I’ve seen a low with a strap on CCS around that time.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #10983 on: July 15, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »
That IG post with the new orange labels now deleted

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10984 on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
can't wait for shops to do raffles for simple black and white dunks
:) I must have been tripping last night

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #10985 on: July 15, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They’re not out yet but they sold out already
[close]

For real. I would love those, but I’m sure hunting down a pair of them is going to be fucked. To me it is just not worth the extra headache for shoes anymore. It’s nothing new, but I’m too old for it I guess. If I happen to stumble upon them that’s cool, but probably won’t and that’s ok too. Always the same shit with nike and resellers. Oooo so limited. So much hype. Blah blah. It gets fucking old. I don’t even care about the price, just make enough of them for fucks sake. Sorry, end of rant that everyone has heard a thousand times before.
[close]

My sentiments exactly. I've been low key trying to get a pair Dunks to skate in for about a year now with no luck. I don't even care what color they are, as long as they're not like patent leather or some furry teddy bear material I'll take them. But 1) I'm not entering a raffle or 2) rearranging my life schedule to try to buy a pair. I just want to be able to go to a shop (online or local, but my local shop is an hour away and doesn't even have an SB account) and buy a pair of Dunks to skate in, and it's impossible. I'm just going to keep looking for good deals on random shoes to try out and hopefully stumble onto a pair of Dunks that way.
[close]
Agree with all of you
[close]

This situation is what makes me want to stop buying nikes. Feels whack supporting a company that's pandering to hype beast while making their best shoes harder and harder for real skaters to buy.
[close]

I understand the frustration but it is a double edged sword. Yes ,it sucks that we can't get the shoes, but at the same time, skate shops are able to cash in on the hype beast dumb asses. Didn't 501 make like 36k on raffle sales alone?
[close]

I feel like this is the most important thing. I love dunks, I skated dunks all the time before the hype came and it's one of my top 3 skating shoes ever, but... Shops make a lot of money from the hype. I enter raffles sometimes and wear the ones I win  casually, I like them for what they are still. A lot of cool colorways are coming out and they're trying harder now. In the meantime, I skate other shoes - and when the hype dies down in a year or two, I'll skate them again.

I know it's easy to just say fuck Nike and all the raffles and everything but it makes skate shops money and there are hundreds of other models we can skate in the meantime.
[close]

Getting back to this limited hype shoes vs. widely available skate shoes thing - is there any reason they couldn't just do both with the same model? If plain looking leather/suede Dunks were widely available at all times, how would that hurt sales/hype on the rainbow coloured raffle shoes? You'd think one would feed the other. People who just want normal looking shoes to skate in would be happy just to buy plain/non-hyped Dunks, the raffle ones would still be there for people who want something limited/special, and people who missed out on the raffle ones would probably just buy the non-hyped ones instead. Seems like they would still create the hype/buzz that they do today, but would sell more shoes in the process.

Nike even does this with Jordans and other popular models. They release limited colourways of classic models that get hyped up and necessitate raffles, but then they'll do general releases of the same shoe in different colours that you can just walk in to Foot Locker and buy whenever you want. I don't know why it's like that for other shoes, but Dunks can ONLY be so limited.

This all seems especially dumb when you consider that Dunks are 'sport-specific performance shoes' for skateboarders. It would be seen as a big flaw if Lebron's pro model was so hard to get that no one who actually wanted to play basketball in them could get a pair.

This is a valid point and I agree with you, it would be great if it worked and Nike would find it to be sustainable. However, that's usually not the case in my experience. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the BCG Matrix:

https://www.garyfox.co/bcg-matrix-guide-examples/

The way I interpret Nikes marketing, they basically just cycle a lot of previously hyped products and make them go: Dogs -> Cash cow -> Star -> Cash Cow -> Dog. Right now the Dunks are in the star category where they are hauling ass to just hype them up as much as possible. When it starts dying a little, they start watering it out with more available colorways so that it can make as much money as possible before the hype dies down. Then it becomes some staple again (Dog) where there's no hype really.

That's what I feel is happening with the Jordans right now, the 1 was super hyped up.. now it's been around for a while and dunks are more hyped, so they're trying to capitalize on the jordan with as many sales as possible before people start getting a little tired of it again.

Right now, even the plain white orange label dunks are 400+. Just last year when it came out, I remember it sitting on shelves on sale here (in Europe). The hype is very real and I'd guess it will take a while before it dies down, but when it does they will flood us with colorways again.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #10986 on: July 15, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
They were on sale here in the US as well just last summer.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #10987 on: July 15, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Getting back to this limited hype shoes vs. widely available skate shoes thing - is there any reason they couldn't just do both with the same model? If plain looking leather/suede Dunks were widely available at all times, how would that hurt sales/hype on the rainbow coloured raffle shoes? You'd think one would feed the other. People who just want normal looking shoes to skate in would be happy just to buy plain/non-hyped Dunks, the raffle ones would still be there for people who want something limited/special, and people who missed out on the raffle ones would probably just buy the non-hyped ones instead. Seems like they would still create the hype/buzz that they do today, but would sell more shoes in the process.

Nike even does this with Jordans and other popular models. They release limited colourways of classic models that get hyped up and necessitate raffles, but then they'll do general releases of the same shoe in different colours that you can just walk in to Foot Locker and buy whenever you want. I don't know why it's like that for other shoes, but Dunks can ONLY be so limited.

This all seems especially dumb when you consider that Dunks are 'sport-specific performance shoes' for skateboarders. It would be seen as a big flaw if Lebron's pro model was so hard to get that no one who actually wanted to play basketball in them could get a pair.
[close]

This is a valid point and I agree with you, it would be great if it worked and Nike would find it to be sustainable. However, that's usually not the case in my experience. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the BCG Matrix:

The way I interpret Nikes marketing, they basically just cycle a lot of previously hyped products and make them go: Dogs -> Cash cow -> Star -> Cash Cow -> Dog. Right now the Dunks are in the star category where they are hauling ass to just hype them up as much as possible. When it starts dying a little, they start watering it out with more available colorways so that it can make as much money as possible before the hype dies down. Then it becomes some staple again (Dog) where there's no hype really.

That's what I feel is happening with the Jordans right now, the 1 was super hyped up.. now it's been around for a while and dunks are more hyped, so they're trying to capitalize on the jordan with as many sales as possible before people start getting a little tired of it again.

Right now, even the plain white orange label dunks are 400+. Just last year when it came out, I remember it sitting on shelves on sale here (in Europe). The hype is very real and I'd guess it will take a while before it dies down, but when it does they will flood us with colorways again.

I am not familiar with the BCG Matrix, but it seems like Dunks would be a 'question mark' right now - the demand has dramatically increased in the last year or so, but it can't be a 'star' because they have intentionally kept the market share low by limiting the supply.

If 'Stars' have a high market share and high market growth rate, and you have a potential 'star' product, wouldn't you want to make as many of them available as possible (within reason), so the market share could grow? You can't have a high market share if you don't make a lot of the product. It seems like they focused their marketing to increase the growth rate on Dunks (the current trend didn't just happen by accident); but why bother increasing the growth rate if you're going to intentionally keep the market share low? If I'm interpreting this right, the only real 'cash cow' in the SB line is the Janoski - consistently high market share, but no growth.

The Dunk should be a star - rapid market growth in the last year or so, resulting in pent up demand (a lot of people who want them but can't get them) - but they purposely limited the market share by not making more of them when the demand went up. I know Nike knows more about marketing than me, but I don't understand the point of that. Scarcity is a type of marketing that builds demand for a product, but why build the demand like that if you don't plan on eventually cashing in on it (i.e. make a shitload of the product and sell it all while the demand is high)? Feels like the trend is going to end before they've actually made money from it. I know they don't want the shoes sitting on shelves and going on clearance, but it seems like they could make a lot more of them available than they currently do before that started happening.

michael scarn

« Reply #10988 on: July 15, 2020, 12:13:45 PM »
Hey kinda new to this whole Dunk thing but does anyone wish Nike just made a solid plain coloured Dunk and kept it in the line all the time so we could go to our local shop and buy some Dunks to skate in and not have to enter raffles and fight hypebeasts just to get a pair of plain coloured Dunks to skate in?

Just wondering if anyone feels like that.

Most definitely. If Nike just did a huge run of b&w dunks I would definitely buy a pair and be stoked. Only offering them through a raffle makes no sense to me

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #10989 on: July 15, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I am not familiar with the BCG Matrix, but it seems like Dunks would be a 'question mark' right now - the demand has dramatically increased in the last year or so, but it can't be a 'star' because they have intentionally kept the market share low by limiting the supply.

If 'Stars' have a high market share and high market growth rate, and you have a potential 'star' product, wouldn't you want to make as many of them available as possible (within reason), so the market share could grow? You can't have a high market share if you don't make a lot of the product. It seems like they focused their marketing to increase the growth rate on Dunks (the current trend didn't just happen by accident); but why bother increasing the growth rate if you're going to intentionally keep the market share low? If I'm interpreting this right, the only real 'cash cow' in the SB line is the Janoski - consistently high market share, but no growth.

The Dunk should be a star - rapid market growth in the last year or so, resulting in pent up demand (a lot of people who want them but can't get them) - but they purposely limited the market share by not making more of them when the demand went up. I know Nike knows more about marketing than me, but I don't understand the point of that. Scarcity is a type of marketing that builds demand for a product, but why build the demand like that if you don't plan on eventually cashing in on it (i.e. make a shitload of the product and sell it all while the demand is high)? Feels like the trend is going to end before they've actually made money from it. I know they don't want the shoes sitting on shelves and going on clearance, but it seems like they could make a lot more of them available than they currently do before that started happening.

I see your point, but the way I see it, every product's numbers is only relative to its own market if that makes sense. A question mark usually has a high level of R&D and has yet to prove itself on the market - often used to describe new electronics like that new Samsung flip touch phone that hasn't really settled yet or something similar, or the boost technology when Adidas first launched it. The Dunk has been around since 2001 with few changes, it probably isn't costing Nike a lot to make right now outside of production and marketing costs.

Although it seems like they're producing low numbers of dunks, they're actually producing more than before but expanding to a bigger market. It's constantly growing because of its popularity and kids are finding out about them and their history every day. Basically I just meant that the dunk is in a sensitive state from a marketing standpoint right now; if they make it to widely available too soon then that "star status" will die and they have to rely on it being a cash cow too soon - when they could actually milk that star status for a few more months/year more and still have that cash cow state waiting for them.

That being said, it's easy to argue that it's fucked how they're capitalizing on the loyal skateboarders and then just turning their back on them whenever they can get a quick buck somewhere else... But that's regular good ol' capitalism, I guess. 

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10990 on: July 15, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
That IG post with the new orange labels now deleted
I think reposted again.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #10991 on: July 15, 2020, 02:30:51 PM »
“Hey team, I’ve got it. Let’s make the sneaker pack that’s targeted to people who actually skate and meant to be readily available at core skate shops even more exclusive than the normal releases. Cha-ching!”
:) I must have been tripping last night

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #10992 on: July 15, 2020, 03:04:48 PM »
Can we pool our money to bribe sneakernews and other outlets to never ever promote sb releases? I’d love it if people who didn’t skate but collect kaws figures and off-white satchels just didn’t know about sb dunk releases. Aside from the goofy ass ben and Jerry’s or Grateful Dead type shit. They can have all that. But sneakernews just posted about the orange label pack and honestly it’s really rude if you ask me, which you didn’t... yet here we are.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #10994 on: July 15, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »
Can we pool our money to bribe sneakernews and other outlets to never ever promote sb releases? I’d love it if people who didn’t skate but collect kaws figures and off-white satchels just didn’t know about sb dunk releases. Aside from the goofy ass ben and Jerry’s or Grateful Dead type shit. They can have all that. But sneakernews just posted about the orange label pack and honestly it’s really rude if you ask me, which you didn’t... yet here we are.

i don't understand why pop figures, etc. got popular all of the sudden with hypebeasts? I genuinely don't

It's the same as all of the E-boys/E-Girls that all of the sudden got into anime and post/talk about anime but would have talked trash about it before the trend. I remember being into that shit in the past and i got mad shit for it by some of these peeps and now trends have changed and those same people think they're cool by posting about it smh

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10995 on: July 15, 2020, 06:12:50 PM »
I just sold a totally beaten pair of black&white dunks for the same price I sold some good condition pairs just over a year ago.

Maybe i'm just a lil salty but I'd be a lot happier if they just put out more normal looking/easily accessible shoes. I wish skaters would turn their backs on them for this kind of situation and fuck them over in the long run, but hey ho, it'll never happen. At this point Nike have everyone by the balls n that's that

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10996 on: July 15, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i don't understand why pop figures, etc. got popular all of the sudden with hypebeasts? I genuinely don't

It's the same as all of the E-boys/E-Girls that all of the sudden got into anime and post/talk about anime but would have talked trash about it before the trend. I remember being into that shit in the past and i got mad shit for it by some of these peeps and now trends have changed and those same people think they're cool by posting about it smh
You're supposed to bask in the cool guy knew about it before you did vibes. That's basically your reward.

I think it was Bearbrick that put the beasts onto Pop Figures.

The nubuck on last years black mid was kinda sucko. I loved the leather on the white though. Broke in real nice and made me feel like it was 89 again. I'll probably overpay for those new black joints.
unreadable trap logo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #10997 on: July 15, 2020, 10:25:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You're supposed to bask in the cool guy knew about it before you did vibes. That's basically your reward.

I think it was Bearbrick that put the beasts onto Pop Figures.

The nubuck on last years black mid was kinda sucko. I loved the leather on the white though. Broke in real nice and made me feel like it was 89 again. I'll probably overpay for those new black joints.

I think Banned from the Room said it, but I fully agree: the white leather was TOO soft. I mean I skated em, but that shoe was cooked too long/not enough, fell apart real quick, and the sole was flooooooooppy.
Just my take. I’d rather have something with some heft

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #10998 on: July 16, 2020, 03:57:43 AM »
There have been a few recent Nike releases I REALLY liked but were impossible to get.

Sure you make skateshoes and almost no skater is wearing them because som hypebeast liked them more and they were impossible to get.

Same will be with those 'chicoago' dunks that are releasing. GReat colorway and I'm 100% sure I won't get them.

How hard is it to keep a solid dunk colorway in the constant line-up?

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10999 on: July 16, 2020, 07:08:42 AM »
There have been a few recent Nike releases I REALLY liked but were impossible to get.

Sure you make skateshoes and almost no skater is wearing them because som hypebeast liked them more and they were impossible to get.

Same will be with those 'chicoago' dunks that are releasing. GReat colorway and I'm 100% sure I won't get them.

Don't worry bro, Nike SB got your back with an excess amount of Charges, Checks, Chrons and Portmores. You know, those epic shoe's that no-one on their team or down your local skatepark has ever worn, but they pump out loads of colorways for each season? Pretty sure Nike have just bootlegged there own shoes so other people don't have to.

That Alleyoop shoe is just a bootlegged version of the GTS Return which is itself a hideous bootleg of an Airmax 1.

The Portmore is a bootleg of the Janoski RM, which is a dead version of an original janoski.

The Check is like a V-Rod which was a dead version of the P-rod 4

The Chron is like a dead version of the Team classic... ok maybe i'm pushing it there but still. Totally blowing it, is this nike SB or 6.0? I really cannot tell anymore.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #11000 on: July 16, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don't worry bro, Nike SB got your back with an excess amount of Charges, Checks, Chrons and Portmores. You know, those epic shoe's that no-one on their team or down your local skatepark has ever worn, but they pump out loads of colorways for each season? Pretty sure Nike have just bootlegged there own shoes so other people don't have to.

That Alleyoop shoe is just a bootlegged version of the GTS Return which is itself a hideous bootleg of an Airmax 1.

The Portmore is a bootleg of the Janoski RM, which is a dead version of an original janoski.

The Chron is like a dead version of the Team classic... ok maybe i'm pushing it there but still. Totally blowing it, is this nike SB or 6.0? I really cannot tell anymore.
All that Kohls shit is 6.0 for sure.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #11001 on: July 16, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
All that Kohls shit is 6.0 for sure.

Theres a whole instagram dedicated to the portmore its amazing

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #11002 on: July 16, 2020, 08:57:32 AM »
I just sold a totally beaten pair of black&white dunks for the same price I sold some good condition pairs just over a year ago.

Maybe i'm just a lil salty but I'd be a lot happier if they just put out more normal looking/easily accessible shoes. I wish skaters would turn their backs on them for this kind of situation and fuck them over in the long run, but hey ho, it'll never happen. At this point Nike have everyone by the balls n that's that

I feel you man but here's the deal, for me at least. I need a cupsole but ima huge dork and only fox with a mid or hightop, so besides a dunk high where's a guy to go? Those proper jawns look tempting but are they stil a thing? The cons fastbreaks look good but that nylon mesh shit is a no for me. Shell toes highs? Pre has but the shell thing puts me off. Kinda regret not gettin those marana mids.
But fuckin hell gettin the shoes we wanna skate should not be like this. By the balls indeed.
Whoa. Danger.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #11003 on: July 16, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel you man but here's the deal, for me at least. I need a cupsole but ima huge dork and only fox with a mid or hightop, so besides a dunk high where's a guy to go? Those proper jawns look tempting but are they stil a thing? The cons fastbreaks look good but that nylon mesh shit is a no for me. Shell toes highs? Pre has but the shell thing puts me off. Kinda regret not gettin those marana mids.
But fuckin hell gettin the shoes we wanna skate should not be like this. By the balls indeed.

You could try to find Gravis Viking highs
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #11004 on: July 16, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »
if anyone is dying to skate dunks ive got 2 pairs of sb highs that ive worn a couple times, but never skated.

send help 2's

these white leather with icey sole

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #11005 on: July 16, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »
if anyone is dying to skate dunks ive got 2 pairs of sb highs that ive worn a couple times, but never skated.

send help 2's
these white leather with icey sole
what size?

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #11006 on: July 16, 2020, 01:12:22 PM »
whoops, my bad. theyre both 10.5 US

Halwilkerson

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11007 on: July 17, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
whoops, my bad. theyre both 10.5 US
Not my size but thanks for doing this once my fpars blow out I’m fucked
Mikey Taylor really did just tweet through 2020

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #11008 on: July 17, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »
the first Send Helps were the first Nike SBs/Dunks I ever had. Got them for $15 in a thrift store in ATL . Skated them to shit and then got some Blazers. I switched back and forth between the Mid Dunks and Blazers for the next 8 years. Blazers always being easy to get in different colors.

miss those days. I would really like to skate a pair of Dunk Lows but it seems next to impossible to get. I'll continue skating the GT Blazers for now though. Hopefully those are never "hyped" but with the GT pro release it seems they are trying to market them that route.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11009 on: July 17, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me