Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread  (Read 2358729 times)

Amocat, Halfdeadanimal and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Manny Fapuiao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 110
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread
« Reply #11940 on: January 17, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Looks like a mix of skate metal dunks and cappuccino blazers.

damn you beat me to it, was just about to say that. had those cappuccino blazers back in '08 and loved em
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #11941 on: January 17, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Looks like a mix of skate metal dunks and cappuccino blazers.

[close]
damn you beat me to it, was just about to say that. had those cappuccino blazers back in '08 and loved em

It’s subtle, but this is more of a purple/burgundy color.   “Mystic date(fruit)” in case anyone was expecting a brown shoe

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11942 on: January 17, 2021, 10:53:13 PM »
Man they need to stop coming out with blazers. I can’t stop buying them

Safariferrari

• Rep: 41
« Reply #11943 on: January 17, 2021, 11:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
more GT pros

[close]

I'm kinda digging how the shape of these look, nice to see GT's name is still on them too. However, what's with making them half canvas?

In my opinion, when Nike SB appear to get something right these days they throw a spanner in the works in some capacity... Kinda like the sunken swoosh on the new bruins, when I see them in footage it throws me off, at a glance it looks like the shoe's shape is blown out my some super fat/wide foot crammed into a slim shoe with it overspilling... Most likely just me that thinks that though haha
My guess is that its cost saving and weight saving. I think the MSRP still comes out around the same so maybe its to compensate for the cost of the extra rubber.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #11944 on: January 18, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
how do folks feel about Nike ending their working relationships with small shops around the country? anyone know why they are doing this?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #11945 on: January 18, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
how do folks feel about Nike ending their working relationships with small shops around the country? anyone know why they are doing this?

Less work on their end and more profit. I don't have inside knowledge but this is my educated guess.

Direct to consumer always means more profit
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11946 on: January 18, 2021, 12:08:27 PM »
It's been fuck Nike for a while now for me so lets continue with it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11947 on: January 18, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »

They aren’t.   It’s the same stupid rumor that  gets circulated once a year at least.  It’s in the same category as “dropping the SB and just being Nike” , “bought Janoski’s last name/releasing a generic model to undercut his sales” or “cutting a ton of their riders”.  None of these things ever happen and if Nike doe end it’s relationship with a few shops it’s usually a case by case scenario and not indicative of a larger move

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11948 on: January 18, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
Wasn’t that adidas who just pulled from small shops around the country..

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #11949 on: January 18, 2021, 05:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's been fuck Nike for a while now for me so lets continue with it

Fuck Nike until I can get a pair of Dunk lows or they give Lance a colorway.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #11950 on: January 18, 2021, 05:50:01 PM »
It's a new year so it's time to spread the "I heard Nike is pulling small accounts" rumor again.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11951 on: January 18, 2021, 05:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They aren’t.   It’s the same stupid rumor that  gets circulated once a year at least.  It’s in the same category as “dropping the SB and just being Nike” , “bought Janoski’s last name/releasing a generic model to undercut his sales” or “cutting a ton of their riders”.  None of these things ever happen and if Nike doe end it’s relationship with a few shops it’s usually a case by case scenario and not indicative of a larger move

It's a new year so it's time to spread the "I heard Nike is pulling small accounts" rumor again.

I live in a small ski town in northwest colorado, 3.5 hours from denver , we have 2 local outdoor skateparks, and an indoor skate"church" park , that acts as a sober , skate themed church. It's a good healthy skate scene here, even in the winter time. Our local shop is owner/operated, and has been a skateshop for 11 years. they do sell other shit like a wide variety of clothes , sunglasses, jewelry , goggles for winter and random knickknacks etc. but they only sell skate shoes. DC, emerica, Es, Vans, NB , etnies, and until the last 6 months, Nike SB and Adidas.

Adidas pulled their account 3 months ago I want to say, just stated in an email they were shrinking their network etc. I'm pretty sure those emails were shared here. Nike just did the same thing to them last week. I'm not sure the exact wording in the email but it was pretty much that.

It does seem indicative to me of a larger type of move since I feel like I've heard of more than a few shops having this happen with adidas / nike .

Our shop's owner does regret not becoming a quickstrike retailer years back, but said at the time it would have cost him a ton because shit was sitting longer then, but they always remained a solid customer of nike and seemed to carry the normal good shoes from them all time time with some cool dunks sprinkled in the last few years , GT blazers, blazers, bruins, janoski's were all available from them and would sell thru quickly.  I am not spreading a rumor though, they definitely just lost their account.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #11952 on: January 18, 2021, 08:33:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I live in a small ski town in northwest colorado, 3.5 hours from denver , we have 2 local outdoor skateparks, and an indoor skate"church" park , that acts as a sober , skate themed church. It's a good healthy skate scene here, even in the winter time. Our local shop is owner/operated, and has been a skateshop for 11 years. they do sell other shit like a wide variety of clothes , sunglasses, jewelry , goggles for winter and random knickknacks etc. but they only sell skate shoes. DC, emerica, Es, Vans, NB , etnies, and until the last 6 months, Nike SB and Adidas.

Adidas pulled their account 3 months ago I want to say, just stated in an email they were shrinking their network etc. I'm pretty sure those emails were shared here. Nike just did the same thing to them last week. I'm not sure the exact wording in the email but it was pretty much that.

It does seem indicative to me of a larger type of move since I feel like I've heard of more than a few shops having this happen with adidas / nike .

Our shop's owner does regret not becoming a quickstrike retailer years back, but said at the time it would have cost him a ton because shit was sitting longer then, but they always remained a solid customer of nike and seemed to carry the normal good shoes from them all time time with some cool dunks sprinkled in the last few years , GT blazers, blazers, bruins, janoski's were all available from them and would sell thru quickly.  I am not spreading a rumor though, they definitely just lost their account.

There are a number of core sb models as well as new models that have been coming out with less SB labeling or none at all. Heard this 10+ years ago and can’t doubt it since I see it. At best they’re playing multiple markets, but overall, it’s still a marketing scheme til it’s not.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11953 on: January 18, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There are a number of core sb models as well as new models that have been coming out with less SB labeling or none at all. Heard this 10+ years ago and can’t doubt it since I see it. At best they’re playing multiple markets, but overall, it’s still a marketing scheme til it’s not.

Any photos to back it up?   It’s not like Sb shoes have over the top labeling to begin with.

also, curious as to why it is seen as bad if they drop the SB part?   

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11954 on: January 18, 2021, 10:22:41 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #11956 on: January 19, 2021, 03:16:29 PM »
I am not spreading a rumor though, they definitely just lost their account.

What shop

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11957 on: January 19, 2021, 03:29:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What shop

urbane steamboat

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #11958 on: January 19, 2021, 05:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What shop
[close]

urbane steamboat

Sorry to hear about the shop losing their account, I've driven through Steamboat Springs before and it seems pretty isolated. Any other shops that sell SB in town? If not, you guys have just become part of the new direct to consumer customer base. Somebody else mentioned it before, but that's definitely their intention (especially considering online sales are up).

Nike SB makes undeniably good products, but it sucks they do this kind of thing. I don't think it's part of some master plan to leave a bunch of shops high and dry, but I also think they could've afforded to stay with Urbane from what you've described.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #11959 on: January 19, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »
Nike, the mega corporation, does something shitty to smaller retailers? You guys are crazy.

Also those brown dunks are beautiful and Nike can go eat a bag of dicks for not making them widely available. Specifically available to my bank account and I.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11960 on: January 19, 2021, 06:15:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What shop
[close]

urbane steamboat

What’s the story behind that name?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11961 on: January 19, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What shop
[close]

urbane steamboat
[close]

What’s the story behind that name?

Not to sure about that, just looked at their shop site and couldn’t find an about page .

Steamboat is isolated, but it gets a good amount of tourism and has a really healthy local scene . We are having a low snow year so kids have been shoveling out the skatepark and still skating thru the winter. I was out there today in 24 degree temps before going to work . Urbane supports the local scene and they are the only spot with skate shoes , I know kids order stuff but most here want to shop local so our little town can keep having cool shops. Shipments got worse and worse 2020 but it sucks they won’t be able to sell Nike adidas anymore.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #11962 on: January 20, 2021, 08:33:37 AM »
EU/UK only
https://instagram.com/p/CKNvE83gLMu/

surprised they don't say VEGAN on the tongue tab or embroidered across the back or somewhere to let you know that they are vegan because they are vegan
good come sausage

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11963 on: January 20, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
It’s in the same category as “dropping the SB and just being Nike”
Nike does make skate shoes that are non SB

“bought Janoski’s last name/releasing a generic model to undercut his sales”
They did both these things... called it the Portmore

or “cutting a ton of their riders”.
You better believe that's next.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #11964 on: January 20, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
all those blazer edges would have been sick if they were just normal blazers btw @nikedesignerswholurkthisthread
good come sausage

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11965 on: January 20, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s in the same category as “dropping the SB and just being Nike”
[close]
Nike does make skate shoes that are non SB

Expand Quote
“bought Janoski’s last name/releasing a generic model to undercut his sales”
[close]
They did both these things... called it the Portmore

Expand Quote
or “cutting a ton of their riders”.
[close]
You better believe that's next.

Nike 6.0 is not the same. 

Nike does not own Janoski’s last name.  Been refuted by him.  (Much like the Nike skateboard deck co rumor that comes up)

Portmore hardly has cut into Janoski sales esp considering they’ve release a bunch of Janoski variations since then.

Why do I have to believe cutting their riders is next?   

Nike SB has been around for almost 20 years now.   Aren’t people tired of pretending they’re the boogeyman

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11966 on: January 20, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »

Nike does not own Janoski’s last name.  Been refuted by him.  (Much like the Nike skateboard deck co rumor that comes up)

Portmore hardly has cut into Janoski sales esp considering they’ve release a bunch of Janoski variations since then.

Nike SB has been around for almost 20 years now.   Aren’t people tired of pretending they’re the boogeyman
Nike making skate shoes under a slightly different brand (dropping "sb") is the same.

"Own" isn't an accurate word. I know they don't/can't own his name in the literal sense. Nike licenses the Janoski name for a fee.

Capitalism will force Nike's hand to do what is best for their pocketbook, and the riders are usually the first expense to get cut if we look at history.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11967 on: January 20, 2021, 12:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nike making skate shoes under a slightly different brand (dropping "sb") is the same.

"Own" isn't an accurate word. I know they don't/can't own his name in the literal sense. Nike licenses the Janoski name for a fee.

Capitalism will force Nike's hand to do what is best for their pocketbook, and the riders are usually the first expense to get cut if we look at history.

Hasn’t 6.0 existed more or less concurrently with SB?  I believe 6.0 is a price point line or for other “action” sports.  It’s hardly like there’s some bait and switch going on here.  Also, what is the big deal if Nike does drop the SB?  It feels/looks a little juvenile sometimes on their apparel.  I’d prefer their model names to incorporate SB, instead, but it’s not a huge issue to me. 

Pretty sure Janoski laughed at those rumors on multiple occasions.   I’m not sure what point you’re making that his name is licensed by Nike.  Is your issue that he’s somehow getting short shrift with royalties?

People have been Chicken Little-ing that capitalism will force Nike, et al, to pack up and leave skateboarding and all they have employed at the slightest dip in earnings.  Considering Nike SB has weathered the Great Recession and other economic dips since it’s launch in the early 00s, I’d bet they aren’t going to significantly change how they’re operating.  If a few flow riders aren’t on the team anymore, that’s hardly a sign that heads will roll

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11968 on: January 20, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
Re: Nike ending their working relationships with small shops around the country

They aren't.

What is the big deal? 

I’m not sure what point you’re making that his name is licensed by Nike.

People say capitalism will force Nike, et al, to pack up and leave skateboarding.

They are. ($$$)

Not a big deal, just evidence that they are willing to sell out their own products/branding ($$$)

Point is that created a model to try undercut the sales of their own rider, realized it didn't work (people pay for his name, not the design), so they licensed his name ($$$)

Capitalism ($$$) will force Nike to pack up and leave skateboarding when skateboarding is no longer profitable (right now it is very profitable.)

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal