Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread  (Read 2381956 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread
« Reply #11970 on: January 20, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »
Re: Nike ending their working relationships with small shops around the country

Expand Quote
They aren't.

What is the big deal? 

I’m not sure what point you’re making that his name is licensed by Nike.

People say capitalism will force Nike, et al, to pack up and leave skateboarding.
[close]

They are. ($$$)

Not a big deal, just evidence that they are willing to sell out their own products/branding ($$$)

Point is that created a model to try undercut the sales of their own rider, realized it didn't work (people pay for his name, not the design), so they licensed his name ($$$)

Capitalism ($$$) will force Nike to pack up and leave skateboarding when skateboarding is no longer profitable (right now it is very profitable.)

Janoski hasn’t been skating heavily (maybe at all) for many many years.  His name isn’t what is selling Janoski’s.   I’d be surprised if anyone under 22 knows who he is.   But maybe you think half-cabs are popular for the legions of Steve Caballero out there. 

Portmore was a price point (cheaper) shoe that kinda looked like the Janoski.  The idea that it was done to undercut one of their own high-selling shoes is so silly it could have only came from here.  How would selling a cheaper shoe help make more money than the currently priced Janoski.  I believe standard royalty numbers is $5/shoe.  (I’m sure hes been able to negotiate more.).  The portmore was about $60 and the Janoski is something like $75.   Seems like these craven capitalists aren’t very good at their jobs if their hoping to eat $5-10 in order to save $5 from going to the guy who designed one of their top selling shoes of all time in every category. 

Why should it be surprising a company stops doing something when it isn’t profitable?   Is Nike obligated to operate in the red to prove something?   Think any other company that would or could keep going even though they weren’t making money?   Huf pivoted to apparel and left some guys without shoe sponsors because that’s what they had to do.  If anyone just teased out the logic of these dumb things they say...

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11971 on: January 20, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »
Janoski hasn’t been skating heavily (maybe at all) for many many years.  His name isn’t what is selling Janoski’s.
Respectfully disagree, if you changed the name to the O'neils, they wouldn't sell as well.
How would selling a cheaper shoe help make more money than the currently priced Janoski?
It's much cheaper to make than a Janoski.
Why should it be surprising a company stops doing something when it isn’t profitable? ....these dumb things they say...
No one is surprised. No need to hurl insults.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #11972 on: January 20, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
I don't know if I agree about the evil plans they have to actively replace Janoksi's, and I bet more than a fair share of young people don't really know who Janoski is like Atiba said... but nobody is surprised that Nike is doing what is in their best financial interest.

I think what rubs people the wrong way, going all the way back to what Lukabrazi brought up in the first place, is that they seem to cut costs where they could probably (PROBABLY) afford to keep operating. Honestly, if Nike desperately needed to sever ties with skate shops to stay afloat, then by all means. I don't work at the company so these are obviously assumptions, but at least in this one instance, I think they could have stayed with the shop. If they could have afforded to keep the account, then do so to demonstrate a care for the culture they have worked so hard to become a part of. Can't blame folks for being a bit irked when they cut shops to turn a little more direct to consumer profit, can we? Of course, we can't blame people IF that's the case. I don't work at Nike. That would be sick though. I'd try to advocate to keep shops, and I bet skaters that work there do.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #11973 on: January 20, 2021, 01:59:40 PM »
Also there is probably another thread where these discussions could be had. The shoes are sick, keep em coming.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

BoxStuffer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #11974 on: January 20, 2021, 02:02:48 PM »
Nike SB Blazer Mid
Release Date: 2021
Color: University Gold/Black-White
Mens: $85
Style Code: 864349-700

Enjoy your life.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11975 on: January 20, 2021, 02:20:04 PM »
Also there is probably another thread where these discussions could be had. The shoes are sick, keep em coming.

Agreed on both and your post above. 

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #11976 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:48 PM »
the Blazer Court

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11977 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:58 PM »
I guess they drop in 3 colors.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #11978 on: January 20, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »

nike x dekline collab

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #11979 on: January 20, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am not spreading a rumor though, they definitely just lost their account.
[close]

What shop
[close]

urbane steamboat
[close]

Sorry to hear about the shop losing their account, I've driven through Steamboat Springs before and it seems pretty isolated. Any other shops that sell SB in town? If not, you guys have just become part of the new direct to consumer customer base. Somebody else mentioned it before, but that's definitely their intention (especially considering online sales are up).

Nike SB makes undeniably good products, but it sucks they do this kind of thing. I don't think it's part of some master plan to leave a bunch of shops high and dry, but I also think they could've afforded to stay with Urbane from what you've described.

Heard that Nike SB is supposedly to pull out of all but 40 shops across the US before the end of the year. One of my local shops just had nike pulled from them as well

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #11980 on: January 20, 2021, 10:04:48 PM »
What the fuck are those? ^^^
Who let them actually release those awkward Marshall's department store looking court shoes! 🤦🏻‍♂️😆
Nike, what is you doiiinnn?
Super Champion Fun Zone

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #11981 on: January 21, 2021, 06:10:48 AM »
I know we see some variant of this message on this thread every 3 months but...

Is Nike not totally blowing it for people that actually skate right now? Seems like they make Dunks and Blazers both of which in limited runs and wacky colors. I think I am going to become a Vans/LR guy now.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11982 on: January 21, 2021, 08:07:46 AM »

reality is these will probably do pretty well
good come sausage

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #11983 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
I'd be into them if they had a little bit of padding around the collar.  That vans authentic style padless collar is brutal on my achilles & heel.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11984 on: January 21, 2021, 09:01:00 AM »
I’ve been thinking a lot about how much those blazer edges are gonna brutalize your feet. I’m wondering if they were going for a vegan option of blazer? Doesn’t look like a very good option but still an option

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #11985 on: January 21, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
Nike SB Zoom Blazer Mid
Release Date: 2021
Color: N/A
Mens: $85
Style Code: 864349-401

Enjoy your life.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11986 on: January 21, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike 6.0 is not the same. 
[close]
Nike making skate shoes under a slightly different brand (dropping "sb") is the same.

[close]

Hasn’t 6.0 existed more or less concurrently with SB?  I believe 6.0 is a price point line or for other “action” sports.

Why are you so fixated on 6.0? That's not what Firebert's on about.

Nike Creating more skate inspired/friendly models without the sb branding is a no brainer. Of course they're going to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped their team - SB is popular enough to push the entire line on the name alone. They could cut the whole team and sales to hype beasts and skaters would be just as steady.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11987 on: January 21, 2021, 02:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Nike making skate shoes under a slightly different brand (dropping "sb") is the same.

[close]

Hasn’t 6.0 existed more or less concurrently with SB?  I believe 6.0 is a price point line or for other “action” sports.
[close]

Nike Creating more skate inspired/friendly models without the sb branding is a no brainer. Of course they're going to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped their team - SB is popular enough to push the entire line on the name alone. They could cut the whole team and sales to hype beasts and skaters would be just as steady.

Good another fucking one of you dimwits.   Just because you can imagine Nike doing something shitty doesn’t mean they will, particularly when there’s no precedent in their brand to do so.   If they drop SB and release all shoes as just Nikes, I don’t quite understand the issue as Kyrie Irving’s shoes aren’t under the Nike BB brand.  The post you are referring to said Nike’s already doing that, which isn’t happened unless he’s referring to the 6.0 line. 

Sales to hypebeasts would not sustain the brand because they sell these shoes in limited quantities and do not benefit at all financially from the insane resale prices.   Nike didn’t cut their basketball program because they could just sell Jordan’s because basketball dipped in popularity in the late 90s.

Again, cite precedent or proof that Nike’s goal is to just fuck with skateboarding after tricking us for 15-20 years.   They aren’t perfect no it sucks to hear some shops lose their accounts, but it’s hardly a larger trend and they do produce a lot of videos and give a lot of skaters a living wage that allows them to create their own skater-owned brands.   

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11988 on: January 21, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »
Nike made skate shoes in the 1996 and dipped when it wasn't profitable.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11989 on: January 21, 2021, 02:37:04 PM »

Adidas and converse as well.  Their approach was lacking and they tried again.  Unless you think they should have kept the Choad going

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11990 on: January 21, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good another fucking one of you dimwits.   Just because you can imagine Nike doing something shitty doesn’t mean they will, particularly when there’s no precedent in their brand to do so.   If they drop SB and release all shoes as just Nikes, I don’t quite understand the issue as Kyrie Irving’s shoes aren’t under the Nike BB brand.  The post you are referring to said Nike’s already doing that, which isn’t happened unless he’s referring to the 6.0 line. 

Sales to hypebeasts would not sustain the brand because they sell these shoes in limited quantities and do not benefit at all financially from the insane resale prices.   Nike didn’t cut their basketball program because they could just sell Jordan’s because basketball dipped in popularity in the late 90s.

Again, cite precedent or proof that Nike’s goal is to just fuck with skateboarding after tricking us for 15-20 years.   They aren’t perfect no it sucks to hear some shops lose their accounts, but it’s hardly a larger trend and they do produce a lot of videos and give a lot of skaters a living wage that allows them to create their own skater-owned brands.

Pretty weird that the thought of me imagining something about nike can stir such frustration in you.

I never implied that I think the whole Nike brand can be carried by hype beasts alone.

I'm specifically referring to the SB division of the brand. And skaters like you are not going to stop buying their sbs no matter who is on or off the team. Most people who wear sb's at this point don't care who is riding for them. The SB line is established beyond the team.

I'm not saying that I know for a fact that they are cutting their team. Just that in my opinion the team is obsolete.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #11991 on: January 21, 2021, 04:55:56 PM »
Blazer court is for Zumiez/Tilly's etc.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11992 on: January 21, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty weird that the thought of me imagining something about nike can stir such frustration in you.

I never implied that I think the whole Nike brand can be carried by hype beasts alone.

I'm specifically referring to the SB division of the brand. And skaters like you are not going to stop buying their sbs no matter who is on or off the team. Most people who wear sb's at this point don't care who is riding for them. The SB line is established beyond the team.

I'm not saying that I know for a fact that they are cutting their team. Just that in my opinion the team is obsolete.

It’s not just you.  It’s tons of you bozos for the past ten years+ saying the same thing every year without any sense of irony or shame that nothing you predict is prove accurate.  There are at least three other threads active where someone else is mentioning the same things I am to someone claiming Nike is playing some long con on the skateboarding industry.  It’s boring and annoying

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11993 on: January 22, 2021, 06:56:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Adidas and converse as well.  Their approach was lacking and they tried again.  Unless you think they should have kept the Choad going

Great so we can agree that there is an instance where they've bailed on skateboarding for a few years. Meaning there is precedence for them doing it again. No need to call everyone names anymore. That being said, I will cop these

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #11994 on: January 22, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
got some bruin reacts recently and they feel nice and look good too- black/ white colorway and are tts

these red ones are dope too

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11995 on: January 22, 2021, 09:36:53 AM »
got some bruin reacts recently and they feel nice and look good too- black/ white colorway and are tts

are they narrow? And take a while to break in?

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #11996 on: January 22, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
are they narrow? And take a while to break in?

i'd skate mine right out the box but that is what i usually do.

they are pretty much in the middle when it comes to width for me! The thing with them is that the shoe and sole are pretty minimal- sole has NO padding at all- insole is doing all the work but because of that they are pretty flexible for a cupsole. as soon as your feet warm up it softens the insole wich is almost immediately!

Hope that helps!

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11997 on: January 22, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »
Sounds like the rebirth of the K1 to me, which happens to be one of my top 5 shoes ever.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11998 on: January 22, 2021, 09:47:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Great so we can agree that there is an instance where they've bailed on skateboarding for a few years. Meaning there is precedence for them doing it again. No need to call everyone names anymore. That being said, I will cop these

Who’d they bail on?  Bam Margera?  I’m sure all contracts were honored at a company that size   They approached skateboarding incorrectly and no one bought their shit so they decided to rework things.   The Choad was hardly the SB Dunk.  Adidas had Gonz, Lance, Mountain, Paolo Diaz, Matt Beach and Cons had KA, Chany and others.  Sounds like they “bailed” on more people than Nike, but Gonz and KA stayed/rejoined those programs so it doesn’t seem like there are hard feelings there. 

eS kicking all their riders off only to restart months later and only flow skaters from then on...now that sounds shitty. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11999 on: January 22, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
cite precedent or proof
I’m sure all contracts were honored at a company that size... 
Just because you're SURE all contracts were honored doesn't mean they were.
Ad hominem