Author Topic: MAGENTA - Panic In Gotham  (Read 10794 times)

RECK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: MAGENTA - Panic In Gotham
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
of course non of it is groundbreaking stuff but thats not the point really?
this is magentas vision of skateboarding and i for one dig it

this clip makes me want to grab my board and push real fast around my city,

does another nyjah internet clip of 20 stair handrail bangers make me want to do that? hell no

the skating is simple and looks nice, most importantly it looks fun and its more realistic in the sense that i could achieve similar things in my city which gets me stoked!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:15:43 PM by RECK »

b.v.

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
I think that people have been programmed to only appreciate skateboarding if it eclipses the last released part before.
Being either you view skating as a sport to be won, tricks to be conquered and success to be measured by your sponsor count.

There is a growing number of folks who enjoy watching others have a good time, and there is the artist/creativity aspect much like photography and music where people either have very rigid views on what constitutes A great photo or song and others may present something that is enjoyable but not necessarily text book.

20+ years of skating and watching videos and the kids at the park, your eyes kind of glaze over after a while of seeing the same thing, no matter how well done. Some people just want to be inspired in a new way.

A.J.K.

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
The argument myself and I believe other people are making is that in order to be fresh or new you don't have to drastically decrease what you put into the technical side of skateboarding.  Also, everything these guys put out is basically the same video in a different city.  Is it really that new or different anymore? 

Again, I like Magenta and most of what they do, but Leo Valls some of the people featured in their videos try way too hard to be unique and take the less is more approach to too much of an extreme.  As Binomial Nomenclature said it just comes off as pretentious.

yungnol

• Rep: 2
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »
I think that people have been programmed to only appreciate skateboarding if it eclipses the last released part before.
Being either you view skating as a sport to be won, tricks to be conquered and success to be measured by your sponsor count.

There is a growing number of folks who enjoy watching others have a good time, and there is the artist/creativity aspect much like photography and music where people either have very rigid views on what constitutes A great photo or song and others may present something that is enjoyable but not necessarily text book.

20+ years of skating and watching videos and the kids at the park, your eyes kind of glaze over after a while of seeing the same thing, no matter how well done. Some people just want to be inspired in a new way.
Well said. The more artistic/creative side of skating is always going to make me want to go skate rather than seeing some gnarly handrail or gap I'm never going to get a trick down.

b.v.

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
The argument myself and I believe other people are making is that in order to be fresh or new you don't have to drastically decrease what you put into the technical side of skateboarding.  Also, everything these guys put out is basically the same video in a different city.  Is it really that new or different anymore? 

Again, I like Magenta and most of what they do, but Leo Valls some of the people featured in their videos try way too hard to be unique and take the less is more approach to too much of an extreme.  As Binomial Nomenclature said it just comes off as pretentious.

I'm not sure this a debatable topic, it's what they do and people respond to it. You and other folks don't see the value and you perceive them to be "pretentious"  without meeting them. It's skateboarding, less technical than most and in some cases, overly simple. I think that is the draw. I'm not trying to get you to see something you can't, and that is the point.

It's ok, I'm not trying to incite an argument. I still enjoy what Leo,Vivien,Soy and the other friends they bring along do even after a few videos worth of similar stuff. It looks fun and i like the guys doing it.

Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
HOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY FUUUUUCKINNG SHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude that was seriously fucking incredible, i think that was my favorite magenta clip ever. pretty much the best nyc edit i've seen in years too. AL DAVIS!!!! leo valls fucked this city UP

and it says colin read filmed this one! slap homeys goin places, fuckin good work mandible!!!!!

Apparently you forgot about this little gem:

rudetude

• Rep: 1
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
Tastes like strawberry!

s a d e

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
if i see anymore "ground-breaking" skateboarding i'd probably vomit

and Lannon is one of the most technical skateboarders i've ever seen. but he also picks and chooses wisely and subtly and that makes a better skateboarder to me then someone who just spews technical ability all over a block.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:25:22 PM by s a d e »

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 881
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
I really liked how a lot of it was night footy and that there was little emphasis on flip tricks but rather creativity within the city. I didn't see courthouse, memorial hubba, brooklyn banks, or any other NYC recognizable spots which made it all the better.

ZVEN 914

• Rep: 1
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »
grow up, this sucked

Rodolphe Valentin

• Rep: -4
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:31 PM »
This is all filmed in less than 2 weeks in crowded downtown NYC; and you've never seen most of these spots. The skating is incredibly fast, stylish and innovative (Including tricks that we've never seen before.) and the atmosphere itself just makes you want to go out and skate the streets. I see difficulty and progression in this.

Of course this is more conceptual and difficult to understand than videos of people practicing tricks.

If you want to see "impressive tricks" and don't want to think too hard, you have approximatly a hundred videos comin out everyday. Just because you just watched a thousand videos of people practicing skateboarding doesn't mean you have to think these guys "are trying too hard to be creative"; they are just doing something different, and they're good at it, end of the story.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »
That was amazing. Had a woody the entire time.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
Lately, everything Magenta puts out is entertaining from the first till the last second.

Sick job Mandible Claw!

diefuck

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
I love how you all cry about Kevin Tierney every chance you get, then act like this bullshit is the best thing to happen to skateboarding. Shit is ass, and you are all incredibly naive.

P.S. keep neg repping me, sorry I hurt all your feelings :'(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:48:05 PM by ism »

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
I really dug the edit as a whole, thoght it was sick. But I also liked it when Leo Valls did shit like this too.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
Camo cargo pants...

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
I love how you all cry about Kevin Tierney every chance you get, then act like this bullshit is the best thing to happen to skateboarding. Shit is ass, and you are all incredibly naive.

P.S. keep neg repping me, sorry I hurt all your feelings :'(
remember is not about being good, its about not looking like shit something kevin can't help

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
man i feel like a shill. but i guess i am...
al lot of the OPEN guys could go to Magenta..
and you guys can / could / should buy Magenta boards. love Magenta..
Magenta boards are made in Mexico.. Open boards are made by Pennswood.. outside of Pittburgh.. they employ some if not all the Panza bros.. so.. well magenta is legit.. Open boards are ACTUALLY MADE in the North East.. and we're hyped on it. costs us more. but we love it... think our boards are actually better.. just saying. .. try an Magenta board.. if you have some cash try an Open board... cause were out there..

edit: im wrong. they are made in cali.. confusing bareback with generator..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:20:13 AM by pandarelated »

RonBalone

• Rep: -21
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
HOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY FUUUUUCKINNG SHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude that was seriously fucking incredible, i think that was my favorite magenta clip ever. pretty much the best nyc edit i've seen in years too. AL DAVIS!!!! leo valls fucked this city UP

and it says colin read filmed this one! slap homeys goin places, fuckin good work mandible!!!!!

This. Another stellar work from Magenta. Raw as hell, wish more of the industry would get on board.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
i feel like alot of dudes on slap might like this because its a relate-able skill level or something..

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
you either dig this or you dont.
if you do. you buy into it.. if you dont.. you can keep buying in to your.. biggest most technical trick wins.
if you just want to skate. cause skating is awesome.. you get it.
also.. just from first person views.. 1.. i can not keep up with any of these guys in the streets.. just the amount of go is crazy.. and if you doubt any of these guys flat ground.. flipery trickery doo.. then your mistaken.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't know, do i just not get it or something?  
[close]
It's not understood by most and shouldn't be.

Thats a shitty thing to say. If you wanted more of this/keep skate vids interesting wouldnt you want more people to understand what an aesthetic choice is?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I finally had a chance to watch the whole thing with audio. Leo Valls and Masaki Ui are the fucking best. Really liked the Alex Davis footage too. Hey mandible are you claiming Big L as yours like how Josh Stewart is associated with Jeru?

skateordie

• Rep: -38
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »
Expand Quote
First half was amazing.

So far it seems like I'm the only one, but I really could have done without all the breakdancing one foot powerslides...
[close]

yup, you're alone in that

no he's not. slide-guy gets last part?

immagetchuwet

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »
for those of you who don't get it's pretty easy to understand. everyone and their dad is good at skating nowadays.. people go to spots that have been raped by every human being that rides a skateboard, they spend hours trying to film the hardest trick they can possible think of, woopie. the magenta dudes aren't trying to go out there and fucking win street league. their just skating for fun like it should be and obviously taking a really different artistic non-spot approach and creative trick selection. they aren't trying to compete with baker and all those \m/ dudes.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
Good Shit, but I don't know whether I wanna go street skating or to dickies.com  ???

A.J.K.

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2013, 08:32:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't know, do i just not get it or something?  
[close]
It's not understood by most and shouldn't be.
This is the pretentious attitude that comes along with Magenta that is annoying as fuck. 

b.v.

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Meaning that I don't want it to become the norm.
Not in some cool guy we're better than you way.
I don't need to debate or explain it anymore than that.
I enjoy many types of skating, from Busenitz to Alex Perleson to Enrique Lorenzo.
It's like a quirky band that somehow gets a little recognition, you liked it better before they made it, but then again, you want them to get by. It's a stupid personal thing for me.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »
for those of you who don't get it's pretty easy to understand. everyone and their dad is good at skating nowadays.. people go to spots that have been raped by every human being that rides a skateboard, they spend hours trying to film the hardest trick they can possible think of, woopie. the magenta dudes aren't trying to go out there and fucking win street league. their just skating for fun like it should be and obviously taking a really different artistic non-spot approach and creative trick selection. they aren't trying to compete with baker and all those \m/ dudes.

It was creative like 5 or 6 years ago when the japanese guys from Far East Network started it (trick and filming wise), but I feel I?ve already watched that Leo Valls part 4 or 5 times in the past, it feels redundant and uncreative. I loved that cab line with the nollie flip, and the rest of the team, particularly vivien and jimmy, but Leo?s part feels like a forced mix of NY/Japanese skate caricature (brand new shining camo pants or cargo pants, sun hat etc...). I?m not a Leo hater, I was actually a fan of his Metropolitan part.
Love Magenta, but I'd love to see Leo do something really original and or creative

(this is 5 years old, and much more creative and more artistic)

ontheswarm

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »
This was the coolest thing I watched today and for everyone hating saying this sucks it's not meant to be the most gnarly thing on the web. For me it presents fun in skateboarding. Maybe it doesn't for you.