Author Topic: What about God?  (Read 13213 times)

Simon Woodstock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
What about God?
« on: February 10, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »
Just curious. Do any of you out there believe in God? Why or why not?

Morty Seinfeld

Re: What about God?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »
I don't believe in god because I'm not stupid enough to fall for the brainwashing tactics of the Christian church, and also I'm not stupid enough to believe what the bible says, as it is nothing more than a petty science fiction novel.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
I very strongly believe in nothing.  The guy above me is wrong, and everyone below me who disagrees with me are also wrong.  Yes you are stupid.  You cannot prove anything.  You cannot know anything.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »

oh, and no. I stopped believing in all of that shit when my parents told me that santa and the easter bunny were fake but the tooth fairy was real. I realized that if those two didn't make sense, then why would the other two (God and the tooth fairy)?
Oh, that and the fact that if there was really a god, why would he reveal himself in a completely different way to every culture and make the universal truth that he passed on to man limited by the knowledge of the people of the time period and culture he passed it onto?

I mean, if common knowledge was that it was a flat world with a sun that circled it and that all life began at the same time a few thousand years ago and the bible said the Earth was round and circled the sun, and that modern life evolved over billions of years way before it was scientifically possible to know that, and scientists confirmed one thing after another that the bible said, I'd be sold, but in fact, the exact opposite happens and has happened.

Also, this guy says he's unnecessary for the universe's existence:

and as regular as he looks, he's actually really smart.

Also, have you seen this video clip? It didn't change my belief since I never believed in Jesus, but I find it interesting:

Believe what you want to. If you knock a tooth out tomorrow and want to put it under the pillow for the tooth fairy, who am I to stop you?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
No I don't.

Is this your blog/website?

http://simonwoodstock.com

This was pretty cool.

foureyedjim

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »
That's easy...

Didn't grow up with it,
never found myself in a position where I needed "god," whatever he/it is.

Some people need company, some people need weed, and some people need god.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
I very strongly believe in nothing.  The guy above me is wrong, and everyone below me who disagrees with me are also wrong.  Yes you are stupid.  You cannot prove anything.  You cannot know anything.

Bullshit. I can know that I think, therefore I must exist in some form. Descartes bitch.

dkn

• Rep: -27
  • to be all ways to be all ways to be all ways to be
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »
quantum tunneling leads me to believe humans are incredibly intuitive

we are constantly exchanging cells and are one unified thing

this connection between us all, the struggle to further the species, imo is God

you can interpret the bible as personified sun worship btw

i do believe in something, i'm not atheist, i just long for scientific backing

dkn

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
what do you guys think of astrology?

how accurate are your sun signs?

i'm a pisces and it's extremely accurate

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »

I'm a Cancer and it's honestly scary how accurate it is.

Thrillho

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Bullshit. I can know that I think, therefore I must exist in some form. Descartes bitch.

What "thinks" exactly?  That big bunch of carbon in the top part?  Do rocks think?  The same shit is in there.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »

Lol! This pic and your quote could be a meme.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:15:59 PM by able »
ableSkateMag.com

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
I believe in God, but no particular religion.

The reason? Mostly because it feels good to have someone to thank, for the things I have, at the end of the day.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! While I respect everyone's opinion, it does suffice to say that there is a ton of great evidence for the existence of God. Also, contrary theories such as evolution have come up very short (in my opinion) of explaining the origin of the universe, complexity in biology, and the existence on non-material human souls.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »
No I don't.

Is this your blog/website?

http://simonwoodstock.com

This was pretty cool.

Yeah, that's my little blogsite. I just post whatevs on there from time to time. Good on ya bro!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »
If Einstein's so smart, then why come he's dead?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! While I respect everyone's opinion, it does suffice to say that there is a ton of great evidence for the existence of God. Also, contrary theories such as evolution have come up very short (in my opinion) of explaining the origin of the universe, complexity in biology, and the existence on non-material human souls.

Care to give any of that proof of God's existence or the human soul?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Not smart enough to get up out of that fucking wheelchair.  Science is as fake as any other religion.
Bullshit. Science is empirical, religion is not.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

What "thinks" exactly?  That big bunch of carbon in the top part?  Do rocks think?  The same shit is in there.
Things that exist think. Maybe I'm not a living thing, I can't necessarily prove that. But I am thinking, therefore in some sense I must exist.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
I don't believe in god because I'm not stupid enough to fall for the brainwashing tactics of the Christian church, and also I'm not stupid enough to believe what the bible says, as it is nothing more than a petty science fiction novel.

Hey Morty! Thanks for the response. How is the black market raincoat business going? Do you still have that intense personal rivalry going on with Jack Klaumpus at Del Bocca Vista?

otis shredding

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
I'm sorry but you can't sit here and tell me that evolution falls short of explaining the creation of the universe but the idea that a greater being than ourselves puppeteered the whole thing just about covers all the bases.

dkn

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

well when humans die they instantly lose something like 28 grams

the pineal gland, which is assumed to be the seat of the soul, is formed 49 days after conception

at this same point the fetus develops it's sex organs, thus choosing it's sex

interesting subject the pineal gland is, and the fact that american water calcifies it

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey oyolar!

Well, the universe had a beginning, and things that begin to exist need a beginner. So, logically that beginner could be God.

Things that are designed imply a designer, there is great design in the universe, so, logic leads to a Great Designer (i.e. God) that designed everything.

Where the soul is concerned, things contained in the soul such as emotions, feeling, and will are immaterial. If there are things in the world that exist and are immaterial, then materialism (the evolutionary concept that there is nothing that exists but matter) is flawed. It is reasonable to conclude that God created all that is immaterial that exists in the world. Materialism has no explanation for the existence of such things.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
I like the idea of God, orthodox religions on the other, I hate. Faith is is a blank check for irrationality. I find the Gnostic Gospels to be fascinating.

The chick who wrote this is rad. Talks about the power struggles between rival ambitious leaders in the early church, and how it came to form many parts of the modern church that go unquestioned/as word of God.

Thrillho

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Not smart enough to get up out of that fucking wheelchair.  Science is as fake as any other religion.
[close]
Bullshit. Science is empirical, religion is not.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Things that exist think. Maybe I'm not a living thing, I can't necessarily prove that. But I am thinking, therefore in some sense I must exist.

Gigantic and getting bigger.  Still nothing in it.  By your logic, the atoms that make up what you call thinking don't exist because they do not "think".  They just react.  How can what you call thinking exist when what it is based upon does not, according to French rules?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 10:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm sorry but you can't sit here and tell me that evolution falls short of explaining the creation of the universe but the idea that a greater being than ourselves puppeteered the whole thing just about covers all the bases.

Hey otis! Thanks for chiming in buddy. Okay, I am an open minded person. I will hear you out of you can explain to me how unguided evolutionary processes created this entire universe out of nothing.

PS. Hope you are doing well, man.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »
this guy knows what he's talking about:

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »
this guy knows what he's talking about:

Ha! George is pretty funny. This guy knows what he is taking about too. Agnostic/Atheist Penn Jillete. Nice chatting with you man.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
dkn-literally five seconds of googling disproved that experiment you mentioned. It was ran by a scientist that started the experience with a religious bias, no controls or scientific rigor, with an extremely small sample size-a good amount of which he discarded because they were bad samples. RE: the pineal eye-you are relying on pseudo-scientific mysticism that took advantage of how little they understood how the brain and hormonal system of the human body worked. Most of the people who wrote on the pineal gland in that manner were NOT neurobiologists or used it for metaphorical/symbolic purposes.

Simon-you are making large leaps that are based merely on speculation and do not constitute proof. That designer could be any number of things besides "God." Your logic says God, my logic says indifferent chaos. You're assumption that there must have been a designer for the universe is flawed as well. There is no proof that life could only have existed in this universe with its laws. Life could have grown regardless of the laws and properties that arose in the universe so it could be merely coincidence, not creation, that we exist within these current laws. You're also assuming that emotions, feeling, and will are immaterial with no proof of that. In fact, there is ample neurological proof that those things arise in people's brains based off their interaction with stimuli and stimulations between different neural pathways. They do not bubble up from a place we don't recognize. Researchers have tracked the specific parts of the brain that are utilized when one feels an emotion or makes a decision. More broadly, you're assuming that "immaterial" things exist and not stating what you mean by that nor offering proof for the existence of "immaterial" things.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
Just curious. Do any of you out there believe in God? Why or why not?

hell to the no. because it is stories made up to explain the world by people who had absolutely no idea how to explain the world.

Again, no. Its not hard to write extremely vague predictions that somewhere, somehow, someone will skew to make relevant to themselves.

"Perhaps you are unsure of what direction to go but very soon all will become clear. Remember to think positively. Today someone will be a good influence on your decisions. Be wary though because something from your past will soon effect your life."

To be clear that is some shit I just made up for....... ohhhhh lets say gemini because really what difference does it make? Over a large enough group of people, the whole Slap forums for example some or all of that prediction will apply to someone guaranteed.