Author Topic: What about God?  (Read 13211 times)

landCow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
Re: What about God?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! While I respect everyone's opinion, it does suffice to say that there is a ton of great evidence for the existence of God. Also, contrary theories such as evolution have come up very short (in my opinion) of explaining the origin of the universe, complexity in biology, and the existence on non-material human souls.
[close]

Care to give any of that proof of God's existence or the human soul?
[close]

Hey oyolar!

Well, the universe had a beginning, and things that begin to exist need a beginner. So, logically that beginner could be God.

Things that are designed imply a designer, there is great design in the universe, so, logic leads to a Great Designer (i.e. God) that designed everything.

Where the soul is concerned, things contained in the soul such as emotions, feeling, and will are immaterial. If there are things in the world that exist and are immaterial, then materialism (the evolutionary concept that there is nothing that exists but matter) is flawed. It is reasonable to conclude that God created all that is immaterial that exists in the world. Materialism has no explanation for the existence of such things.

What you are giving is not proof or evidence. It is philosophy. Great for a debate but not much else.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:06:02 PM by landCow »

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote
this guy knows what he's talking about:

[close]

Ha! George is pretty funny. This guy knows what he is taking about too. Agnostic/Atheist Penn Jillete. Nice chatting with you man.

I don't really understand why you posted this video. All it shows is that some Christians don't openly try to force their beliefs on you, they just say "Oh, I know it might be weird to you, but look at it from our side." Even though they aren't forcing it down your throat, they're still trying to sell it to you, whether that be through a pamphlet, a miniature bible given to you, or whatever sort of info. They're only trying to sell it to you so they can recruit new members to this cult known as Christianity, and then they get a feeling of satisfaction from manipulating another person into attending their cult gatherings so that they too can be brainwashed.

dkn

• Rep: -27
  • to be all ways to be all ways to be all ways to be
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »
landcow:  i'm referring to characteristics according to sun signs, not horoscopes

oyolar:  sad how bad information can spread so easily. luckily i'm not arguing a point but rather bringing up interesting things i've read

thrillho:  you're coming across as bull-headed which is no fun for discussion

classic science isn't held onto as firmly as it once was

quantum tunneling shows the sun gathers lots of it's energy from earth

it doesn't transport there through a path of some sort--it's just, poof, suddenly there

so if activities like these take place, who's to say our "soul" has to exist within our brain?

who's to say it's not taking place far beyond our galaxy?

i'm not arguing this point, i just like to be open to all concepts

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:44 AM »

Well, the universe had a beginning, and things that begin to exist need a beginner. So, logically that beginner could be God.

Things that are designed imply a designer, there is great design in the universe, so, logic leads to a Great Designer (i.e. God) that designed everything.

Where the soul is concerned, things contained in the soul such as emotions, feeling, and will are immaterial. If there are things in the world that exist and are immaterial, then materialism (the evolutionary concept that there is nothing that exists but matter) is flawed. It is reasonable to conclude that God created all that is immaterial that exists in the world. Materialism has no explanation for the existence of such things.

See, this is where religious reasoning always falls short. This is not really evidence, it's deductive reasoning based on various assumptions about the nature of the universe and humanity (i.e. "everything has to have been created by someone", "there is great design in the universe", the existence of souls). Your logic just introduces the "need" for a divine creator and then attempts to use this to prove God's  existence.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 12:18:28 AM »
The dying words of Thomas Paine:
"I would give worlds, if I had them, that the "Age of Reason" had never been published.  Oh, God, save me; for I am at the edge of hell alone..."

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 02:07:15 AM »
What about God?

If he/she/it exists I think they've made it pretty clear they are supremely indifferent and couldn't give a single fuck what anyone or anything on this planet does.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 04:07:30 AM »
The semantics are pretty debateable, but god is clearly real. And spectacular:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:09:23 AM by ttching! »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 05:04:55 AM »
...or the universe always was, since physics as we know them tend to sway towards the understanding that matter can't be created or destroyed, simply exist in a different state. To stretch logic as bad as you just did, then "god" cold just be a little boson trying to find a particle to give mass to.

Using history and literature, we can trace back the origins of your god. We can even look back at Constantine and the assimilation of the pagan Saxons to see where many Christian rituals come from. Logic leads one to think that your part Hebrew part Roman part Greek god is a character hobbled together over a period of time to fit with and speak to the culture of the day.

Where the soul is concerned, things contained in the soul such as emotions, feeling, and will are immaterial.
1. What is a soul?
2. Activity in the brain (corresponding to different emotions, or lack of) can be seen as chemical and electrical reactions in the brain. Those same feelings can also be induced using chemicals and electrical impulses. The brain is a material thing that processes data... leading to...

If there are things in the world that exist and are immaterial, then materialism (the evolutionary concept that there is nothing that exists but matter) is flawed.
...wait, materialism is an evolutionary concept? What does materialism have to do with the change in allele frequency in a population over time?

It is reasonable to conclude that God created all that is immaterial that exists in the world.
That's not a reasonable conclusion, it's actually quite irrational. A definition of what immaterial things are, as well as what specifically you're talking about would help. 

Materialism has no explanation for the existence of such things.
Materialism isn't a stand-alone philosophy. You're writing in nebulous, loopy circles.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »
no. just cuz.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 05:58:06 AM »
Expand Quote
what do you guys think of astrology?

how accurate are your sun signs?

i'm a pisces and it's extremely accurate
[close]

I'm a Cancer and it's honestly scary how accurate it is.

If there's one thing that makes even less sense than a god, it's astrology. That shit is for middle school girls.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 06:06:05 AM »
i believe in charlatanism and hypocrisy...
they're immaterial but sooo real
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:09:23 AM by the snake »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 06:15:29 AM »
The semantics are pretty debateable, but god is clearly real. And spectacular:

god said it's evil, don't watch this, don't touch, don't think of it, don't fap or you will burn in hell
that's why there's so much pedophile priests...

imgoingcrazy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
This is too weird. Just yesterday i went for the first time with this guy I made friends with who worked in the same hospital as me now I just want to say that I am borderline paranoid schizophrenic but I am also an atheist and Ive smoked herb and hashish many times and until now never had any problems. Before we went out I just read this story about how this guy who likes to dress up like wolverine saved all these people from an explsion in peru. My friend also grows his beard out to like like wolverine and has wolverine all over his facebook its a stupid coincidence but lately Ive been having a bunch of crazy coincidences.

So we went to this alternative place full of just scumbag looking people and plenty of im sure drug dealers but it was like a bar and there was some english band playing and we decided to smoke some hashish at a certain point and this is the first time this happened to me I saw that my friends girl and her friend were discussing and I thought they were talking about me they said no then I saw some people that had faces that looked like they were demons so and this even I recognize is crazy thought that my friends girl was also a demon and her friend who refused to smoke was an angel and then this bald punk guy who looked like a devil was discussing with my friend and I overheard them say I knew he was paranoid and I heard the word paranoid alot by the way that night but I didnt say anything most of the night so I dont know how they knew I was paranoid, I just asked the punk guy if he liked the dead kennedys and he was cool telling me how american punk was really important to him. We left but I felt like they could read my thoughts of course them being angels and demons and all but at the same time I dont beleive in this shit then on the radio on the way home the radio put black sabath paranoid.

Strange coincidence so the entire time I thought that they were arguing over my soul or whatever and when I thought to myself threatening that I would do something to them or I wouldnt go out with them they would blurt out oh no now I didnt say these thoughts out loud and when I asked why they said oh no they said it was nothing. Anyways today I was looking up religous stuff and how science debunks it and came across someone with the username Descartes so I wikid it then I was going to post a thread on slap about angels and demons and if people beleived in it and what science has to say and saw coincidence someone just posted a thread about god I mean I never think about religous stuff this just happened yesterday and I also saw that Descartes who I just wikid for the first time 5 min ago was brought up. Now Im freaking out with all the coincidences and the people reacting to my thoughts and the fact that I was paranoid and I kept hearing that word all last night.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:09:24 AM by imgoingcrazy »

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:16 AM »
perfect place for post 667

Some say that god exists within. That we meditate and practice yoga to reach the divine, meaning that there is no separation between the physical body and the Lord. A god exists only as a manifestation of our thoughts and subsequently, our practice or actions.

There's no pie in the sky, only what is here right now, leaving us to be present and make full use of this time or let it go past.

Does this mean that the physical body isn't a conduit of the soul? What is the soul? Is the soul an extension of humanity or of all living beings? Is it merely a wonderful by-product of our emotion?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »
I will not believe in God until he talks to me from a bush that's on fire. 

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:32:54 AM by chockfullofthat »

dkn

• Rep: -27
  • to be all ways to be all ways to be all ways to be
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
via:  well harvest moons effect plant growth, i could see planetary alignment effecting humans soul

especially considering we don't even know the source of it

but then again i'm an incredibly gullible person.  i don't believe it firmly or anything tho

steve:  this is exactly what i was getting at

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Lkkp4_PD7KM
I suck at SLAP.

luc

• Rep: -118
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 08:46:05 AM »
i believe.. not because of any church or any upbringing. god just makes sense to me and ive seen what prayer and faith can do and ive seen god work in people. but anyways i know you arent trying to hear that..

but we might just find out soon.. benedict just resigned and petras romanos might be stepping up haha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

to you guys talking about astrology.. check out the hebrew mazzaroth. astrology is just a perverted form of the mazzaroth basically. the mazzaroth came first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazzaroth
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:51:47 AM by luc »

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
but we might just find out soon.. benedict just resigned and petras romanos might be stepping up haha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

I'm pretty sure this photo leaking is why Benedict is resigning...

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »

I find it more uplifting to ponder What About Bob?

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
The dying words of Thomas Paine:
"I would give worlds, if I had them, that the "Age of Reason" had never been published.  Oh, God, save me; for I am at the edge of hell alone..."

simple google search proves this wrong: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_were_the_last_words_of_Thomas_Paine
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »
What about God?

If he/she/it exists I think they've made it pretty clear they are supremely indifferent and couldn't give a single fuck what anyone or anything on this planet does.

Not true. God gives a fuck about football.

If god designed the universe, then who designed god? And don't you dare say future god!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »

Godless heathens serve as their owns gods and carry the burden of choosing how their actions will effect the world around them.  The other option is to adopt a religion that tells you what to do.  In my opinion, the latter is much more spiritually devoid than the former but I may have just adopted this thought process as an excuse for telling people "I am god" when I am really shit faced.

Kind of related to the topic but not really, I fucked a mermaid once.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Lkkp4_PD7KM

FUCK THIS SHOW

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »

Go on...

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Walt Disney made a movie about it. Then Hans Christian Andersen wrote the adaptation.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

A.J.K.

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
i believe.. not because of any church or any upbringing. god just makes sense to me and ive seen what prayer and faith can do and ive seen god work in people. but anyways i know you arent trying to hear that..
Explain how prayer and faith have worked?

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Go on...

What happens on Anthemoessa Island, stays on Anthemoessa Island.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Go on...
[close]

What happens on Anthemoessa Island, stays on Anthemoessa Island.

+1

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
via:  well harvest moons effect plant growth, i could see planetary alignment effecting humans soul

especially considering we don't even know the source of it

but then again i'm an incredibly gullible person.  i don't believe it firmly or anything tho

steve:  this is exactly what i was getting at

we give meaning to the idea of soul, it's something we feel, a manifestation of thought. Something to believe in, work with, etc. The potential is there for it to be wholly alive and beautiful, but has nothing to do with a great omnipotent narrator in the sky.