Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131812 times)

DeputyDoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
Vinyl Records
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
So are any posters into buying/collecting vinyl?

If so, share and post your favorites and recent purchases. 7" and 12" and every other size. Originals, re-releases, etc.
Post it all!

I'll start off with my most recent pick ups

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:41:58 PM »
hell yeah my shop has all the oldies

howlin

• Rep: -3
  • ch'eah bruh
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:52:36 AM »
i got the who's who are you album for a dollar at a garage sale.

GZA liquidswords

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
my friend let me borrow Master of Reality and Minor Theats discography record, gonna have a good day skipping school haha

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
I only have two vinyls since I don't have a turntable (I bought them because my favorite band only released them on vinyl) and I have a question. I took the vinyl out of its cover to inspect it and immediately, the half that it was in ballooned outward into an almond shape. The vinyl can still fit into it (barely), but does anyone know of any way to straighten it out?

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
So wait, the cover is bowed out all weird? Sounds strange. Pic? A few of my vinyls will only go back into the cover if the inner sleeve is inserted one way or the other, that's my only advice if I'm understanding you right.

Just got into vinyls this year, as my previous living arrangement wouldn't permit blasting my music of choice continuously.

Most of what I've got so far is just sorta collecting stuff my dad raised me on, a couple Zappa albums, a couple Beach Boys albums, Beatles albums, Pink Floyd, The Guess Who, The Ventures. Greatest hits albums from The Hollies, The Lovin' Spoonful and The 5th Dimension. Then some more recent stuff like Elliott Smith, Sparklehorse, Wilco, Bon Iver's for emma album, bunch of stuff no one else cares for.

Here's my meager collection in it's entirity, 30 something albums in total.

Stoked on this thread. It's like a things you're stoked on/today i listened to/joys of recent purchases mashup.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:04 PM »
I'm pretty hyped to see the interest and responses so far.
So wait, the cover is bowed out all weird? Sounds strange. Pic? A few of my vinyls will only go back into the cover if the inner sleeve is inserted one way or the other, that's my only advice if I'm understanding you right.

Just got into vinyls this year, as my previous living arrangement wouldn't permit blasting my music of choice continuously.

Most of what I've got so far is just sorta collecting stuff my dad raised me on, a couple Zappa albums, a couple Beach Boys albums, Beatles albums, Pink Floyd, The Guess Who, The Ventures. Greatest hits albums from The Hollies, The Lovin' Spoonful and The 5th Dimension. Then some more recent stuff like Elliott Smith, Sparklehorse, Wilco, Bon Iver's for emma album, bunch of stuff no one else cares for.

Here's my meager collection in it's entirity, 30 something albums in total.

Stoked on this thread. It's like a things you're stoked on/today i listened to/joys of recent purchases mashup.

^^^^ that's pretty much what I was going for. Everyone loves music, and with the recent interest sparking in releasing new vinyl, I thought people would give some warm responses. I'm diggin your taste in music though.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
I received a copy of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Double Fantasy in the mail today from Ebay (I always try to support local, but a $2 first edition still with shrink wrap was too hard to pass up). SO HYPED! "Watching the Wheels" and "Woman" are perfect.

And I'm looking to buy some new (as in newer artists and new copies) vinyl pretty soon. I'm still missing an album and EP from Deerhunter. Then a bunch from Dead Meadow, Built to Spill, and Naam.
-Also had my eye on several Black Sabbath reissues from NEMS.

Is anyone against buying new records or reissues?
-I'm only against it when the reissues cost a hell of a lot more than mint copies of the original. For instance at the local shop, Sabbath's Paranoid is $20 for a near mint issue from the '70's while the new reissue costs $25.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:53:41 PM by DeputyDoses »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »

I tried to attached a photo to this post, but my computer is messing up so I'll try to describe it.  The side of the cover that you slip the vinyl into is bowed out into an almond shape.  The two halves bend away from each other right at the opening.  It was really strange.  Like I said, I took the vinyl out to looks at it, my girlfriend translated some of the French on the inside of the sleeve, and when I tried to put the vinyl with the inner sleeve on back in, it was more difficult.  I took the vinyl out right when I felt resistance and that's when I noticed it was bowed out.  And I made sure to put it back in the way I took it out. 

It's not a huge deal because the vinyl isn't warped or broken, but still kind of sucks.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »
I received a copy of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Double Fantasy in the mail today from Ebay (I always try to support local, but a $2 first edition still with shrink wrap was too hard to pass up). SO HYPED! "Watching the Wheels" and "Woman" are perfect.

And I'm looking to buy some new (as in newer artists and new copies) vinyl pretty soon. I'm still missing an album and EP from Deerhunter. Then a bunch from Dead Meadow, Built to Spill, and Naam.

-I'm only against it when the reissues cost a hell of a lot more than mint copies of the original. For instance at the local shop, Sabbath's Paranoid is $20 for a near mint issue from the '70's while the new reissue costs $25.

I'm all for buying new stuff if you've got the money for it. I'm not incredibly seasoned in this, but thus far my experience with buying old stuff has ruled; thumbing through discount bins with $10 and leaving with 8 or so albums you wouldn't mind owning. Regarding newer stuff, so far I've sort of applied the same method of buying vinyl as I use buying skate videos, download and preview, and if I'm really compelled to support, I'll buy it. I'm just too broke to buy anything on faith that I'll like it- It's hard to justify the morality or ethic of pirating music, but I liken it to the way you wouldn't buy a painting to hang without seeing it first. I'm looking to get You In Reverse by b.t.s. and Doolittle by Pixies next time I pony up the cash and get back on the prowl.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

GZA liquidswords

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I tried to attached a photo to this post, but my computer is messing up so I'll try to describe it.� The side of the cover that you slip the vinyl into is bowed out into an almond shape.� The two halves bend away from each other right at the opening.� It was really strange.� Like I said, I took the vinyl out to looks at it, my girlfriend translated some of the French on the inside of the sleeve, and when I tried to put the vinyl with the inner sleeve on back in, it was more difficult.� I took the vinyl out right when I felt resistance and that's when I noticed it was bowed out.� And I made sure to put it back in the way I took it out.�

It's not a huge deal because the vinyl isn't warped or broken, but still kind of sucks.
could be from being exposed to to much heat or something. i had a similar issue with an old rush record my dad gave me, the vinyl was warped but only up until the end of tom sawyer, believe it or not it actually made the song sound really cool with the warping sounds in the background combined with the synths and keyboards haha.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Yeah, since it was only the cardboard sleeve and it still fits in (barely), I assume it was like a manufacturing defect with the sleeve.  I was just curious if anyone else has ever had this happen.  Or if anyone had any ideas for straightening it out.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
I'm so curious what's going on, you've no idea. It's weird that it fit in there perfectly and then self destructed upon removal.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
Got it to work! Finally.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »
i have around 300-350 lps, and a few singles. my highlights are some rare german records that most of you guys won't know. on the more well known side i got a lot of smiths and leonard cohen stuff, nirvana, pinky floyd as well as german punk bands and a mini collection of soundtracks. on  the newer side i just purchased a deer tick record that's fantastic and a local record called schwunder that i listen to a lot.
i'm still searching for biggies ready to die album so if anyone has one to sell, hit me up.

the problem with buying new records from nowadays album releases is that most likely the album is recorded digital and then they press vinyl from a digital recording. no advantage in sound whatsoever, while old vinyl was pressed from analog recordings. still you have to be a total nerd to hear a difference, i don't hear it at all.

also i can highly suggest you to throw away the paper innersleeves that work the vinyl like griptape and buy fitted ones instead, your records will thank you it's a good investment.

also browse discogs.com a lot you get a good feeling how much vinyl is worth, and how much you should pay for certain records and in general that's not much.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:14:47 AM by pica »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
Yeah, since it was only the cardboard sleeve and it still fits in (barely), I assume it was like a manufacturing defect with the sleeve.  I was just curious if anyone else has ever had this happen.  Or if anyone had any ideas for straightening it out.
i had to deal with it in a few cases when the vinyl itsefl was warped. if that is the case there are certain ways to straighten it out like putting it inbetween two glassplates in the oven at small heat or in the sun. only uses these techniques on records that are unplayable because of the way they are warped.check youtube for tutorials.
 but if that's not the case and since it is a gatefold cover i'd just store the vinyl in it's innersleeve in between the fold parts of the cover. if it's a new record i'd return it to the shop i've done that on a few ocassions and always got my stuff replaced.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:25:20 AM by pica »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 02:28:35 AM »
my highlights are some rare german records that most of you guys won't know.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »
Expand Quote
my highlights are some rare german records that most of you guys won't know.
[close]

ok herc.
my personal highlight is "ich habe meine tante geschlachtet" by helmut lohner a collection of songs using frank wedekind lyrics. it's not super expensive but quite a bit (around 50 euros) but it was hard to get it and i like it very much.

some kurt sowinetz records, ludwig hirsch, andre heller and arik brauer. armin berg, otto reuther and the comedian harmonists since i have a passion for music from the 1920ies/30ies. georg kreisler a proper ambros collection with only a few lps missing and a lot of qualtinger. i have most of the old toten hosen stuff that are in my opinion the best german band ever, i know some people think different about it but i'm not gonna argue on something i know for sure.
i also have most of the EAV stuff but the ones i'm missing cost up to 1600 euros (the first one, a rare self titled album with disneys goofy on the cover) and the second one "cafe passe" that's around 150 with the poster still included and around 80 without it. still i would buy the second one if i ever get my hands on a copy the other one is out of my financial league. u happy now?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:49:37 PM by pica »

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »
Anyone got Loveless on vinyl??

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »
Purchases at the local record store today...

Led Zeppelin IV and The Best of Jethro Tull

ah shit!

IV is in wonderful condition. 1977 pressing. I like to buy 1st pressings, but this one was the best condition out of three or four other copies in stock. Definitely satisfied.

Jethro Tull has some slight ring-wear on the front and back, nothing serious. The vinyl is immaculate though.

GZA liquidswords

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »
Purchases at the local record store today...

Led Zeppelin IV and The Best of Jethro Tull

ah shit!

IV is in wonderful condition. 1977 pressing. I like to buy 1st pressings, but this one was the best condition out of three or four other copies in stock. Definitely satisfied.

Jethro Tull has some slight ring-wear on the front and back, nothing serious. The vinyl is immaculate though.
Jethro Tull nice! my friend has the same one but im pretty sure its not original

My dad was feelin generous and gave me these original gems lastnight for helping him out with some drywall work

[imghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning.jpg/220px-Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning.jpg]http://[/img]
[imghttp://thedaysoflore.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/reign-in-blood.jpg][/img]

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
Jethro Tull nice! my friend has the same one but im pretty sure its not original

My dad was feelin generous and gave me these original gems lastnight for helping him out with some drywall work

Thank you, sir. I was pretty psyched on it myself. There are so many reissues floating around, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a reissue. Either way, sick album to own.

Like... The Beatles for instance. As reissues continue to be pressed, they just keep driving the price of the originals further and further up. No one should ever have to spend $40 for an "acceptable" (VG rated) copy of Revolver...

But those are some great donation-records. Fuckin REIGN IN BLOOD!! Slayer is the shit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:03:35 PM by DeputyDoses »

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm all for buying new stuff if you've got the money for it. I'm not incredibly seasoned in this, but thus far my experience with buying old stuff has ruled; thumbing through discount bins with $10 and leaving with 8 or so albums you wouldn't mind owning. Regarding newer stuff, so far I've sort of applied the same method of buying vinyl as I use buying skate videos, download and preview, and if I'm really compelled to support, I'll buy it. I'm just too broke to buy anything on faith that I'll like it- It's hard to justify the morality or ethic of pirating music, but I liken it to the way you wouldn't buy a painting to hang without seeing it first. I'm looking to get You In Reverse by b.t.s. and Doolittle by Pixies next time I pony up the cash and get back on the prowl.

I'm pretty much the same stance that you are on this. My (now ex) girlfriend bought my Pink Floyd's Animals album on vinyl for my birthday last March. I really didn't think that much of it, but I've been buying records for the past few months, and it's just the best.
For a lot of records, I buy them solely because I love them. Most of Pink Floyd's work is a must own for me (everything from 1967-1977). Led Zeppelin's early work is great. And everything from the Doors. As for a band like... Jefferson Airplane, I'll only buy a couple albums that I really love.
It's hard to justify pirating anything, but so many of us do it. That's why I feel like we're sort of "taking the music back" and really listening to and appreciate the music when we listen to it on vinyl.

I'm actually looking to buy both of those as well. Doolittle is the best Pixies album (as a whole) in my opinion. And you can never go wrong with Built to Spill, man.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:30:43 PM by DeputyDoses »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 07:44:49 AM »
Love me some vinyl!
Been collecting for years, got a respectable stash of 500 to 600 LPs now.

My 2 latest purchases :

Big Audio Dynamite is pretty much forgotten, but it was pretty groundbreaking I think.

and this is way funky!

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Love me some vinyl!
Been collecting for years, got a respectable stash of 500 to 600 LPs now.

My 2 latest purchases :

Big Audio Dynamite is pretty much forgotten, but it was pretty groundbreaking I think.

and this is way funky!

That is a CRAZY amount of vinyl... Over 10 times as many as I have. Gotta keep that collection growing!

http://modern-vinyl.com/category/special-features/collector-of-the-month/

First guy owns 7,500 records... Seriously...

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
I used to have about 400 LP's and 150 45's until I sold all of them to help fund moving out of my parents house. Slowly I'm starting to recollect what I had. I got a sealed 1987 repress of Confusion Is Sex by Sonic Youth for $30 at the local record shop a few months ago. Haven't bought anything since.

dillanharp

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
I used to have a ton, but moving so often I've had to start over, but this is my pride and joy at the moment.

First pressing.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
yeah I call my collection respectable cause it's nothing compared to some guys!
a DJ friend of mine has to keep his records in a separate place, they dont fit in his flat....

I like watching the "crate diggers" series too:

Cut Chemist's Vinyl Collection - Crate Diggers

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
Anyone got Loveless on vinyl??

I have this...

I have many of these circular vinyl disc things. I am drunk too.
Here are shitty google images of ones that come to mind in a fuzzy red wine induced state.