Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131819 times)

DeputyDoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 12:48:46 AM »
yeah I call my collection respectable cause it's nothing compared to some guys!
a DJ friend of mine has to keep his records in a separate place, they dont fit in his flat....

I like watching the "crate diggers" series too:

Cut Chemist's Vinyl Collection - Crate Diggers

HOLY SHIT! Now that is incredible

Weededed

• Rep: 198
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »
Watch out, you'll be hooked before you know it!!

YOKEL ADDICTS on Vimeo
And that Fuse crate diggers series is seriously one of the best things on the internet right now.

Some recent purchases I'm stoked on:

And fuckin' finally got my hands on these classic Ghostface albums (been on my want-list forever!):

Added to the collection of roughly a 1000 12":s and about 400 7":s.

Loving this topic BTW, I'll try to contribute some more when I've got the time.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
latest purchases

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »
Thought something was up when I searched around town and couldn't locate a copy of Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method. Guess it's a pretty limited release and costs 80 bucks. Bummer. On a pretty big Earth kick lately, though. Winter, breh. Cover looks dope. I only ever saw the CD release before this internet search for it. 

Bloody Matt

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
Expand Quote
a DJ friend of mine has to keep his records in a separate place, they dont fit in his flat....

[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLuMVOr3nw

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
^^^

In 2011, Paul sold his record collection in its entirety to Leo Yao, a Taiwanese engineer and business responsible for the making of the MP3 music format. Beginning July 2012, the entire record collection will be shipped over to Taiwan where it will be open as a museum for people to visit.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLuMVOr3nw

You guys are great! These videos made my day.
And my quest to seek out more and more record collection videos continues.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »
Weekend pick up:
(not my picture)

As a huge fan of the movie and novel, I could NOT resist picking this record up.
-so great.

Honorable mentions for last weekend... I picked up a stunning 1977 pressing of John Lennon - Imagine. While at the check out, I asked the owner about any new Pink Floyd arrivals. And as a bonus, the store owner gave me a free copy of Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
I own CD's but I think its time to expand my collection since some albums are only on vinyl. Whats a good record player? If possible, something that is able to transfer songs to my computer.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
most new turntables have usb connections nowadays, but i'm sceptical and i think i would never use it. stay away from the "built in speaker" stuff.  for the begining any turntable starting at i'd say 100 dollars is fine to start with. the good stuff starts at 250. in my experience any cheaper stuff is made out of pure plastic, crappy quality, etc.  but i'm probably totally wrong on this one and i'm sure it's possible to get a decent setup for less if you know what and where to buy it. after i had a cheap one for less than 50 and i used it for 1 or two weeks, i bought a DJ turntable, i never use the scratch function and stuff, but i like the fact that it has a pitch fader and i also have the feeling that it forgives more mistakes when you handle the records (specially when you use it drunk)  if you wanna spend some money and mix tunes get a technics 1210.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »
That "archive" video was great. I had never heard of that guy. and the 17% figure was amazing!

I also agree with the usb connection scepticism. I've always heard the quality is pretty bad. When I wanna have an MP3 version of one of my records, I usually just go to a torrent site.

And speaking of movie soundtracks, I picked this up for cheap a few months back....

one of those magic moments in a record fair where you go, well I wish I could find that record....and then find it in the dollar bin. stoked!

Bloody Matt

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with Pica. Save a bunch of that "$100 is fine to start with" he's suggesting spending on a player and buy some records to listen to! Go to yard sales or thrift stores and buy a turntable that works and worry about becoming an audiophile later. And unless you're mixing records there's no need for pitch control. The turntable I have now was purchased for 10? at a market in Berlin and it rules. An all plastic 80's Technics with a great cartridge. Works for me.

Also, anything I want to listen to on my phone I just download from the internet.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with Pica. Save a bunch of that "$100 is fine to start with" he's suggesting spending on a player and buy some records to listen to! Go to yard sales or thrift stores and buy a turntable that works and worry about becoming an audiophile later. And unless you're mixing records there's no need for pitch control. The turntable I have now was purchased for 10? at a market in Berlin and it rules. An all plastic 80's Technics with a great cartridge. Works for me.

Also, anything I want to listen to on my phone I just download from the internet.
yeah totally, you can buy cheaper stuff second hand as well.
but stay away from stuff like this:

invest that money in a good second hand turntable, but buying a new one in the lowest price range will just destroy your records.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
invest that money in a good second hand turntable, but buying a new one in the lowest price range will just destroy your records.

totally agree. A good second-hand amp will also be much cheaper than a new one, and sometimes it'll sound much better! All my gear is like 30 years old. I bought this amp a few months back.

love vintage hi-fi!

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 08:59:14 AM »
Some of my vinyl is from my youth (mainly have cassettes) and others I have filled in over time.  I only get stuff I am sure to be able to put in and enjoy as an album...so less and less is making the cut these days. 

To give a general sense of it, I have every Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, and Fugazi album on vinyl.  I also have an assortment of Stereolab, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Marychain, and Black Sabbath. 

More recent stuff includes Broadcast (Ha Ha Sound), Deerhunter (all), Atlas Sound, War on Drugs, and various Captured Tracks releases.

Great finds in recent years include Nancy Sinatra (Boots) and Frankie Laine (Hell Bent on Leather)

You know an album is a keeper when you have it in more than one physical format.
hardly art, hardly starving

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
I'm just recently starting to get into it, vinyls are still pretty big in the punk scene, and I got a few as gifts from friends so I figured why not. Basically I'm just working on getting all my favorite old albums, and keeping up with some new releases that I really like, or from local bands.

speaking of new releases, the new Iron Reagan album comes out next month, beyond stoked for that.

Buying vinyl from shows is the best thing you can do for yourself and for the dudes who are traveling and playing. It puts gas in the van and beer in their bellys. Plus you get a little piece of the show. Win win win

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »
Just had a foot of snow dumped on us.?  Drawing in the basement, drinking and listening to Sleepwalker on my turntable.

Sleepwalker - Track 01

you just described my "perfect day"...except I can't draw

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
Some of my vinyl is from my youth (mainly have cassettes) and others I have filled in over time.  I only get stuff I am sure to be able to put in and enjoy as an album...so less and less is making the cut these days.  

To give a general sense of it, I have every Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, and Fugazi album on vinyl.  I also have an assortment of Stereolab, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Marychain, and Black Sabbath.  

More recent stuff includes Broadcast (Ha Ha Sound), Deerhunter (all), Atlas Sound, War on Drugs, and various Captured Tracks releases.

Great finds in recent years include Nancy Sinatra (Boots) and Frankie Laine (Hell Bent on Leather)

You know an album is a keeper when you have it in more than one physical format.

Do you really have everything from Deerhunter? -their first LP, "Turn it up Faggot" is hard (and expensive) as FUCK to find...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:25:20 AM by DeputyDoses »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »
Some of my vinyl is from my youth (mainly have cassettes) and others I have filled in over time.  I only get stuff I am sure to be able to put in and enjoy as an album...so less and less is making the cut these days. 

To give a general sense of it, I have every Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, and Fugazi album on vinyl.  I also have an assortment of Stereolab, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Marychain, and Black Sabbath. 

Not my approach at all but to each his own!
I like to have a variety of stuff to fit different moods.... I mean, I love Fugazi too, but I also have a lot salsa/latin records, reggae, metal, hip hop, jazz, even disco and country. But I've also stopped buying just anything I came across out of curiosity. I try to restrict myself a bit, otherwise I buy too much and then I don't find the time to listen to the damn things...

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you really have everything from Deerhunter? -their first LP, "Turn it up Faggot" is hard (and expensive) as FUCK to find...

SY- Washing Machine and Dino Jr - Hand it Over were harder to find and more expensive....

one of my favorite finds was Ha Ha Sound, because I got it at a show in NYC during the 'Witch Cults' tour, long after out of print, but band just had some extras so they were selling them...$20?! so psyched on that.

what id really love to find is Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Blood Lust

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
who has some links for a good basic turntable I can get that'll get the job done??

Exeter

• Rep: 1
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:41 PM »

Great record.  I picked up a second press copy in transparent blue.  Stoked for the new album coming out this spring.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great record.?  I picked up a second press copy in transparent blue.?  Stoked for the new album coming out this spring.

i havent hit the 'gnar' button in years...until now

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

SY- Washing Machine and Dino Jr - Hand it Over were harder to find and more expensive....

one of my favorite finds was Ha Ha Sound, because I got it at a show in NYC during the 'Witch Cults' tour, long after out of print, but band just had some extras so they were selling them...$20?! so psyched on that.

[close]

How about a pre-order for their next record?  PS- I see Blood Lust go for a decent price all the time on Ebay.  Sure there's the kooks, but you can get it for about $45-$50 if you pay close attention.

Here's the pre-order for Mind Control.  You can get that stupidly priced 7" on there right now too.  http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=209569&

EDIT: you were looking for other doom bands too... check out Year of The Goat and Bloody Hammers.  I actually don't like the latter at all, but the first is pretty good.

forget ebay, discogs is a much better/cheaper source for your online hunt.
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=3701984&ev=rb

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »
I used to have around 3000 lp s sold em all in the late 90s for a good amount of money that lasted me for a year and a half, didnt have to work at all.
Most of it were old punk rock and indie, lots of stuff that have been mentioned in this tread.
I miss em sometimes, even tho they took up a lot of space and were a bitch everytime i moved, and i used to move alot back then.

Anyway.

I just got a new record player and me and my wife celebrated 5 years of marriage, she gave me this as a gift.
I love my wife.

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »
Dinosaur Jr
- Green Mind
- Little Furry Things
- Without a Sound
- Without a Sound
- Where You Been (original)
- You're Living All Over Me (original)
- You're Living All Over Me (original purple vinyl)
- You're Living All Over Me (re-issue)
- Bug (original)
- Bug (re-issue)
- Dinosaur (original no Jr)
- Dinosaur (original no Jr yellow vinyl)
- I Bet on Sky
- Beyond
- Chocomel Daze
- Hand it Over
- Farm
- Fossils
- Start Choppin (10 inch)
- Feel the pain (10 inch)
- Repulsion (7 inch)
- Freak Scene (7 inch)
- The Wagon (7 inch)

J Mascis- More light
J Mascis- Martin + Me
J Mascis- Free so Free
J Mascis- Several Shades of Why

Mellow Hype- Blackenedwhite (clear vinyl
Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
Joy Division- An Ideal for Living
Washed Out- Withing Without
Built to Spill- There is no Enemy
Bad Brains- I against I (original)
Funkadelic- Free Your Mind
J Dilla- Donuts
J Dilla- Dillatroit
Gangstarr- Mass Appeal
Raphael Saadiq- Stone Rollin'
Al Green- Greatest Hits
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders (original)
Beach House- Teen Dream
Panda Bear- Tomboy
Real Estate- Days
Tyler the Creator- Goblin
Beirut- Gulag Orkestar
Grizzly Bear- Two Weeks
Souls of Mischief- Focus
The Meters- Struttin'

Also just inherited over 100 78's from the 40s-50s from a great grand parent, hyped!

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
who has some links for a good basic turntable I can get that'll get the job done??

If you're looking for a cheaper, but still quality player, check out record players from Crosley.
They've been around for decades upon decades and they have both new and more "classic" style set ups.
They actually have a really warm sound. And the ones with built in speakers sound a lot better than people will lead you to believe.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
Weekend pick-ups!!!

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
The studio record is really nice and out there, probably the most experimental record that they made. The live record is thrilling, oozing with psychedelic energy. A great double LP.

Grateful Dead - Skeletons from the Closet (best of)
Great sound and their 1st compilation record

The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine
A fantastic double LP featuring some of their best work, without necessarily feeling like a "best of" album

Iron Butterfly - Live
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda takes up an entire side. There's not much more to say about this masterpiece.

And then I also picked up a couple records from an antique store
-Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
and
-A German record from Mozart
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:56:02 PM by DeputyDoses »

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2013, 04:21:00 AM »
Dinosaur Jr
- Green Mind
- Little Furry Things
- Without a Sound
- Without a Sound
- Where You Been (original)
- You're Living All Over Me (original)
- You're Living All Over Me (original purple vinyl)
- You're Living All Over Me (re-issue)
- Bug (original)
- Bug (re-issue)
- Dinosaur (original no Jr)
- Dinosaur (original no Jr yellow vinyl)
- I Bet on Sky
- Beyond
- Chocomel Daze
- Hand it Over
- Farm
- Fossils
- Start Choppin (10 inch)
- Feel the pain (10 inch)
- Repulsion (7 inch)
- Freak Scene (7 inch)
- The Wagon (7 inch)

J Mascis- More light
J Mascis- Martin + Me
J Mascis- Free so Free
J Mascis- Several Shades of Why

Mellow Hype- Blackenedwhite (clear vinyl
Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
Joy Division- An Ideal for Living
Washed Out- Withing Without
Built to Spill- There is no Enemy
Bad Brains- I against I (original)
Funkadelic- Free Your Mind
J Dilla- Donuts
J Dilla- Dillatroit
Gangstarr- Mass Appeal
Raphael Saadiq- Stone Rollin'
Al Green- Greatest Hits
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders (original)
Beach House- Teen Dream
Panda Bear- Tomboy
Real Estate- Days
Tyler the Creator- Goblin
Beirut- Gulag Orkestar
Grizzly Bear- Two Weeks
Souls of Mischief- Focus
The Meters- Struttin'

Also just inherited over 100 78's from the 40s-50s from a great grand parent, hyped!
Great collection, do you have the 7 inch of freak scene that came with this?

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
Thanks! I didn't know freak scene came with it (i'm not the 1st owner of Bug), but i did purchase the 7 separately.