Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131852 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #360 on: June 22, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »

holy fucking shit, dude, how are we not best friends?

haha, I always had my eye on your "Enough Already" avatar. I'm also a big Calvin and Hobbes fan, so we might as well be best friends.

I forgot about this thread and have since gotten myself a much better set up.

http://websta.me/p/941347688996188605_29494139

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »
anyone still into records? i remember posting about buying my girlfriend a turntable a few months ago and since then im the one whos turned into a record nerd. i think that ive always been a collector, but ive never really collected anything cool besides skate videos and now a days you only get a few physical releases a year, so my days of skate video collecting has kinda came to an end. i collected cds when i was a kid because i loved music and there was nothing cooler than having that giant binder full of cds, but once you could stream music from your phone and play it in your car, there was no real need to have any cds any more. i think vinyl is so cool because is something i really enjoy collecting and its some cool that i can share with my friends and family. i love it when people come over and they see all the records we have and they get to look through them and play something, or if i can pull out something that i know they will really like. i know i sound totally cliche, but playing records is so much more than just playing music. its just so much more fun.

I did the exact same thing. Bought my lady a record player and some of her favorite Beatles records. I had no interest in vinyl whatsoever. One month later I have 20 new records and I'm a member of Vinyl Me, Please. So glad I didn't buy her drugs instead.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »
I used to buy records regularly when I had a steady job and no debt. When I decided to go back to school 5 years ago money got really tight, so now I buy about 5 records a year, max. When I lived in SF I had some friends who worked at a strictly used record store, and they would always alert me when any rare/obscure country or rockabilly records would come in and hook me up big time.

Records have gotten offensively expensive over the last few years. The "record store day" collectors as I like to call them have really fucked everything up. There used to be the punk collectors and garage collectors and the ___ collectors, who basically paid high prices for very rare records in their niches. Now people see a brand new "limited edition" record and the price gets jacked up. The major labels have taken notice and joined in the fun. Now their releasing fucking EVERYTHING on vinyl, with sky high prices, and jamming up the pressing plants with complete dog shit. Small labels get fucked, the bands get fucked, the consumers who can't pay $17.99 for every fucking LP get fucked, everyone gets fucked.

Rant out of the way, I agree that records are much more satisfying to listen to and own. Having to box them up and haul them every time I move has gotten to be a burden though, so I'm getting to the point where I'm considering selling all of mine.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #363 on: July 13, 2015, 08:14:22 PM »
I used to buy records regularly when I had a steady job and no debt. When I decided to go back to school 5 years ago money got really tight, so now I buy about 5 records a year, max. When I lived in SF I had some friends who worked at a strictly used record store, and they would always alert me when any rare/obscure country or rockabilly records would come in and hook me up big time.

Records have gotten offensively expensive over the last few years. The "record store day" collectors as I like to call them have really fucked everything up. There used to be the punk collectors and garage collectors and the ___ collectors, who basically paid high prices for very rare records in their niches. Now people see a brand new "limited edition" record and the price gets jacked up. The major labels have taken notice and joined in the fun. Now their releasing fucking EVERYTHING on vinyl, with sky high prices, and jamming up the pressing plants with complete dog shit. Small labels get fucked, the bands get fucked, the consumers who can't pay $17.99 for every fucking LP get fucked, everyone gets fucked.

Rant out of the way, I agree that records are much more satisfying to listen to and own. Having to box them up and haul them every time I move has gotten to be a burden though, so I'm getting to the point where I'm considering selling all of mine.

all spot on..

Years ago when I was at the height of my record buying, i used to make a trip to Ameoba (back when they actually had decent shit) and drop about $120 and come home with a huge stack of records, that would take me a week to get through.  I miss those days like crazy, brand new LP's for 9.99 and used for 2.99.  And at that time it was mostly new punk/garage/hip hop (mostly 12" singles for DJing), and everything else you had to get used.

I rarely buy records these days, part of that is due to downloading everything, but a larger part is the prices.  Awhile back I made a trip to the local shop I picked up both Hardcore Devo LP's and 1 other LP and it cost me 85 bucks. 

I've sold a good portion of mine over the last few years, when you're broke it comes in handy.  i think at my most I had around 1,000 or so but probably half that now.  Moving them is a bitch.

However, just yesterday I picked up the first LP I've gotten in probably 6 months:

classic and I don't have too much reggae on my shelf.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #364 on: July 14, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
ive been cruising a lot of garage sales lately and ive come up on some decent finds from anywhere from 25 cents to a buck a piece. some have been pretty shit quality, but most of them have been pretty decent. in the past month ive probably bought close to 40 lps from garage sales and i think only 2 or 3 have been too shitty to play. i dont really care about having limited edition stuff or even getting all my favorites on vinyl and paying $15+ on a record. ive had enough fun and enough luck with cheap stuff so far and id rather pay $20 and get a stack of records than pay $20 and get one. there have been a few that ive bought online because i couldnt resist and if i can i always try to get it from the band directly or from the label. i figure the right people get more of the money that way and surprisingly the prices are usually cheaper buying albums that way then they are on discogs and ebay. im working offsite today to see one of my jobs get printed on the offset press and this one record store j dilla used to always go to is just a few miles away, so im going to hit that up after i leave. theyre selection is awesome but ive only got $5 that i can spend so that kind of sucks. its probably good though because if i had more money i know id be blowing a bunch of it.

my collection is getting out of hand though and i sold a couple old film cameras i hadnt touched in a while to get some extra money for some ikea shelves. id say we have around 300, maybe more and right now all the records are lined up on the floor and its a pain in the ass pulling out the one you want to listen to when theres a that many records on either side of it. i upped my set up from the crappy all in one to a slightly less crappy kenwood turntable and an aiwa receiver, both which my grandma gave me. i bought some new polk bookshelf speakers from best buy that sound great, but just about anything would sound better than the turn table i was using. i want to hook the technics tt up that my dad gave me, but i need to make a ground wire for it to stop the blaring noise it makes when i plug it in. i was going to post a picture of everything once i get the shelves up, but that might not be for a few weeks.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #365 on: July 21, 2015, 07:11:33 AM »

yup, all true, but you can dodge all that shit. I mean there's at least 5 or 6 used record stores in my city, and I buy where the prices are still reasonable. I very rarely spend more than 15 euros on an LP, usually it's around 5 to 10. or even 1 to 5 euros at garage sales, record conventions etc.
Also I'm kinda glad the new stuff comes out on vinyl more regularly now. for instance I got the last Thundercat LP in a beautiful red vinyl, and no way would I have bought the CD/MP3.

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #366 on: August 08, 2015, 11:28:55 PM »
:-)

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #367 on: August 08, 2015, 11:29:46 PM »
both are original press

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »
Got my ikea shelf a few weeks ago and heres a little before and after. I'm really glad I got this because it was such a pain in the ass having the records on the floor. I just need to clean up the cords a bit and I think im going to hang another board over the tv so I can space out the speakers. My set up isnt the best, but I got the turn table and the receiver for free. The speakers were priced at $100 but I got them on sale for $75. They sound great and are pretty much perfect for being in an apartment. We have just over 400 lps and id say a good 3/4 of them were given to us from friends and family. I bought the shelf with money I got from selling an old camera, so I'm pretty stoked to have all this without having to pay a ton of money because I know this can be an expensive hobby.

and here are a few of my favorite records.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #369 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
Woah, I somehow have(or had?) that TRK album. I have no idea how or when I ended up with it, but it must have been at least 12-15 years ago. I also know almost nothing about it other than I remember it sounding sort of like Men's Recovery Project or Fast Forward. I remember it having a Load records/Providence RI vibe. Now I want to hear it again.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »
Woah, I somehow have(or had?) that TRK album. I have no idea how or when I ended up with it, but it must have been at least 12-15 years ago. I also know almost nothing about it other than I remember it sounding sort of like Men's Recovery Project or Fast Forward. I remember it having a Load records/Providence RI vibe. Now I want to hear it again.

i think it came out in 01 from a band in RI, so youre right about that. i was watching a video on youtube where some guy was showing some of his records and he pulled that one out. the way he described it sounded like something i wanted to hear but i honestly couldnt find anything online about it besides one review on a blog. no youtube links, no spotify, nothing, and that just made me want to hear it more. i found it on discogs and with shipping i paid $9 and some change. im definitely happy with it. most of the records i own are pretty basic stuff, so its cool to have a few that are more obscure and less known. the cover art is amazing too.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #371 on: August 13, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
Always will hate that King Crimson cover.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:48 AM »
Went to a garage sale today. The guy had tons and said it was mostly stuff he has that he doesn't take to record shows because its was pretty common stuff or not worth too much. I think I found some pretty good stuff though. I got everything here for $23.

45's are 5 James Brown singles and 1 Meters single.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2015, 12:21:57 AM »
This might be random, but I thought maybe someone might have some input. I recently purchased an old Garrard DD75 turntable and a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers. I wondered if you guys had any suggestions for amp/preamp setup. I'm on a budget and just want something simple and efficient. My friend suggested a Pro-Ject phono box preamp with a Dayton Audio DTA120 amp. Gets me where I want to be for a little over $200. What do you guys work with and do you have any advice for a complete idiot in way over his head?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: August 17, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
Went to a garage sale today. The guy had tons and said it was mostly stuff he has that he doesn't take to record shows because its was pretty common stuff or not worth too much. I think I found some pretty good stuff though. I got everything here for $23.

45's are 5 James Brown singles and 1 Meters single.

seriously ?? the LP's and 45's, all for 23 bucks ??
fuck me, where do you live? I want to go there.

I mean just the Stevie record, or the Mandrill or Isaac Hayes for instance, could fetch 20/40 euros here in Europe, in a regular shop. If they're US pressings and in good condition

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: August 17, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
I live outside of Detroit. This was definitely my best haul yet. I've had some decent luck with garage sales this year, but theyre totally hit or miss. I've spent hours on Saturdays driving around to garage sales and found nothing, but days like this one make up for the bad ones. I'm definitely more of a bargain shopper when it comes to records and I don't really care about having an original pressing or anything like that. As long as its in decent condition and the price is cheap, thats all I worry about. I'm not sure what issues any of these are, but all the jackets are pretty worn, so I doubt anything is worth too much. So far the vinyl on everything sounds good for being that old. The James Brown LP was a little crackly and the 45s were pretty rough, but the Meters one sounded better than the rest.

I've heard that a lot of soul/funk/r&b stuff is pretty tough to find in Europe. The popular stuff gets a little pricier here and I think its because you've now got a lot more young people starting to collect and everyone wants those classic records, so shops have upped their prices. You can find good stuff for good prices if you look hard enough and get lucky though.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: August 17, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »
oh right if you live around Detroit it makes sense I guess. Lots of music history there.
Anyways I'm pretty much the same as you, bargain shopper, but bargains are way harder to find here in Europe! at least for soul-r&b or any american music. which is normal, same as buying french wine is way pricier in the US.

also the pressing stuff does make a difference as European pressings were of inferior quality. US pressing have heavier vinyl/cover and you feel it immediately when you take the record in hand. congrats on that haul man!!

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #377 on: August 20, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »
I randomly found a bunch of Jesus & Mary Chain original pressings at a thrift store that were still in the plastic. Somebodys girlfriend must have gotten pissed and dumped their shit. Also got a few Broken Social Scene records at the same time that were in the plastic. Pretty weird findings but I spent $3.00 and am very pleased
p-shuvs and v-flips

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #378 on: August 20, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
MY god dad recently gave me one of his record players that he found in his garage and started me off with a few vinyls. Since then, I've been hitting up thrift stores and trying to see what I can get on the low. It's been a lot of fun picking up random records and listening to them once I get home. Where do you guys usually get your records?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: August 20, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
MY god dad recently gave me one of his record players that he found in his garage and started me off with a few vinyls. Since then, I've been hitting up thrift stores and trying to see what I can get on the low. It's been a lot of fun picking up random records and listening to them once I get home. Where do you guys usually get your records?

ive never found anything too good at thrift stores. i got a few 45s at one up in the upper peninsula last time i was there, shocking blue, golden earing, a local up north band called da yoopers. other than those, all i ever find in thrift stores is christmas albums, 40s and 50s comps, and herb alpert. some people hit the jackpot and find great stuff though, but those are people who go to the same thrift store like 4 or 5 times a week.

I've gotten a bunch of good records over the summer from garage sales, but they're really hit or miss. you have to get there early because there are record sharks in every town that hit garage sales as soon as they open on the weekends and swoop up anything good, or everything all together.

record stores are fun, but it takes a little time and experience to know what to spend money on and what to pass up. the more you dig and the more places you go, you'll learn that certain things can be found in other places for cheaper, or if you constantly see a record you want going for a lot, but then suddenly find it for a cheaper price, you know its probably a good buy. the thing to keep in mind with a record store is that you shouldn't feel obligated to spend you're whole budget, or even spend any money at all. just buy what you really want, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of garbage that you'll never listen to. think about what you're looking for before you go and check discogs.com and see what the typical prices are. i usually find most of my records cheaper than what they go for online, so its a good way to gauge whether something is a good deal or not. and don't blow all your money on classic rock staples when you're first trying to build your collection. you could easily spend $30+ on a beatles/zeppelin/pink floyd reissue, but if you just wait long enough you'll find a used one somewhere for dirt cheap.

flea markets can be good too. just try to know how much something is worth before you buy though. i got ripped off pretty big at a flea market when i first started buying. some people think their 1970s junk rock is worth its weight in gold, and there are people stupid enough to pay for it.

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »
My copy of High Country by The Sword came today. I gotta say, the new singles threw me off a little bit at first but this record SMOKES.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice JB. I'll definitely be price checking. For now I've been lucky at goodwill and have found some jazz, soul, and other stuff for 1-3 bucks.

Flea markets are something that I do plan to hit up more often now. Found a bit of stuff for cheap there too.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #382 on: September 22, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
Been into vinyls/ record collecting for a minute now, ever since my dad gave me all of his. Personally, I've got it bad for first pressings. Most of the records I have are originals. Thanks, dad.

(I dont know why some pictures are smaller than others.)

Setup:

some 7"s

Moving out of SF (someday) is gonna be a bitch.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2015, 05:52:43 AM »
went to a fleamarket, came up with this

acdc - back in black
acdc - highway to hell
kate bush - hounds of love
van halen - 5150
elton john - too low for zero
beatles - apple
cindy lauper - she's so unusual
james bond - greatest hits
cojeme - indicate
enya - orimoco flow sail away

not too bad for 15 bucks.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: October 16, 2015, 11:48:20 AM »
went to a fleamarket, came up with this

acdc - back in black
acdc - highway to hell
kate bush - hounds of love
van halen - 5150
elton john - too low for zero
beatles - apple
cindy lauper - she's so unusual
james bond - greatest hits
cojeme - indicate
enya - orimoco flow sail away

not too bad for 15 bucks.

id say you did pretty damn good considering the lady who sells records at my local flea market doesnt sell anything decent for less than $8. i did manage to get an original of "lust for life" from her for $12 but she got the better end of the deal that day though because i paid $8 for "please" by the pet shop boys and since then ive found that album all over the place for less than $5.

Lasernaut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #385 on: November 28, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »

Yesss, Chrome! I only have 'Into the Eyes of the Zombie King' on vinyl, that's a killer record too. Sick collection, man.
I wish I could contribute a bit more to this thread, but I have all of my records stored in a basement back in Denmark (studying in Hamburg these days), can't wait to come back home to them. Only picked up four records here.

themoustache

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #386 on: November 28, 2015, 05:50:44 PM »
Been digging for about 8 years now, and have some heavy jazz / soul / funk stock built up.  I just got back to the states after spending nearly a year down in Ecuador, and have been getting into some more International grooves and world music.  Picked up some great Andean pan flute albums during my time down there, and am currently finding myself in a blues / reggae / metal phase - strange blends indeed.  I love the inconsistency though, and I've finally cleaned out some old stock and reissues in my collection, so it's all original presses now...probably about 700 albums in all.  My girlfriend has been telling me for a minute now that she's just going to cash out and get me an MPC so I can put all this wax to some further use...time will tell, but thats an invitation down the rabbit hole, and she might never see me again!

Anyways, the paycheck can't really support the habit right now, but that won't stop the addict - I'm still making the weekly Boston / Cambridge record store pilgrimage, and catching the occasional eBay / Discogs dig.  I know some good people out in Western Mass who run record stores too, so the stock is always growing, albeit at a different pace.

Here's a Halloween weekend playlist (+ an Italian/African/Blues mood) from last month.  Had to crank the speakers the fuck out and piss the neighbors off for a few hours, but hey, you can't listen to Sleep and Metallica at a level other than "Fucking Max".  I'll drop some new snags when I get back to my house after this Turkey Weekend Getaway.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: December 03, 2015, 07:05:44 AM »
Expand Quote

(pic)
[close]

Yesss, Chrome! I only have 'Into the Eyes of the Zombie King' on vinyl, that's a killer record too. Sick collection, man.
I wish I could contribute a bit more to this thread, but I have all of my records stored in a basement back in Denmark (studying in Hamburg these days), can't wait to come back home to them. Only picked up four records here.

i just found out about chrome earlier this year and i really love their stuff. such a weird and goofy band. i dont think ive heard into the eyes of the zombie king, so ill have to check that out. the only stuff im really familiar with is the early stuff with both damon edge and helios creed. i definitely want to pick up more of their stuff, but so far half machine was the only album ive been able to find in a shop.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #388 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:31 AM »
i thought it is a better fit here, also to discuss prices and to bump the vinyl thread back on the top page.

i recently bought

dinosaur jr. - beyond (new, 19bucks, expensive i know, but i needed it and didn't want to support tax evader amazon)
the cure - boys dont cry (used from fleamarket, 1986 greek pressing, near mint 10 bucks)
nick cave and the bad seeds - the good son (new, 19 bucks)
crosby stills nash and young - 4 way street (used from fleamarket, 6)bucks
abba - super trouper (used from fleamarket, 1buck)
bonny m - take the heat of me (used from fleamarket, 1buck)
herbert gronemeyer - bochum (used from fleamarket, 1buck)
also bought a simon & garfunkel greatest hits for 1 buck and a 3xLP thaikovsky swan lake box by some russian for 3 bucks

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2016, 08:15:44 AM »
Been digging for about 8 years now, and have some heavy jazz / soul / funk stock built up.  I just got back to the states after spending nearly a year down in Ecuador, and have been getting into some more International grooves and world music.  Picked up some great Andean pan flute albums during my time down there, and am currently finding myself in a blues / reggae / metal phase - strange blends indeed.  I love the inconsistency though, and I've finally cleaned out some old stock and reissues in my collection, so it's all original presses now...probably about 700 albums in all.  My girlfriend has been telling me for a minute now that she's just going to cash out and get me an MPC so I can put all this wax to some further use...time will tell, but thats an invitation down the rabbit hole, and she might never see me again!

Anyways, the paycheck can't really support the habit right now, but that won't stop the addict - I'm still making the weekly Boston / Cambridge record store pilgrimage, and catching the occasional eBay / Discogs dig.  I know some good people out in Western Mass who run record stores too, so the stock is always growing, albeit at a different pace.

Here's a Halloween weekend playlist (+ an Italian/African/Blues mood) from last month.  Had to crank the speakers the fuck out and piss the neighbors off for a few hours, but hey, you can't listen to Sleep and Metallica at a level other than "Fucking Max".  I'll drop some new snags when I get back to my house after this Turkey Weekend Getaway.

You live in the right city. So many sick record shops in Boston. I've been in Nuggets for 7 hours at a time and still mail-order from Armageddon somewhat regularly.