Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131843 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #570 on: March 25, 2019, 07:01:01 AM »
I thought that 3" turntable was hilarious. It seemed like people were legitimately pissed off by it.

I honestly think it would be a cool trinket or desk decoration, but I can think of dozens of things I'd rather spend $70 on.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #571 on: April 08, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Bumping record convention ...

meant to post this a bit ago, but i went to one of these in raleigh after a little googling yielded some good results

http://vinyltimes.com/vinyl-record-shows-calendar/

ended up with: gil scott & brian jackson -1980
cymande s/t
bill hayley and his comets "rock" 45
arthur brown "fire" 45
and louis armstrong & dave brubeck 45

not bad for $30

bummed i couldnt stay and dig longer, i had my son with me and at four years old i could only keep him standing with me for so long, poor guy could barely see in the crates because they were up on tables.

regardless i would say check out a record convention if one is near you and cheers to the unknown soldier for putting me onto them!

somethingmustbreaknow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2019, 05:04:31 AM »
bought some stuff at a fleamarket when i was in portugal the last couple of days

not too bad for 37 euros all together

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »
i sprinted to my local shop at 8:45PM after many beers when they closed at 9 on RSD last year. Impulse spent $90 on three records, one of which was that animal chin recording that still remains unopened in my storage. it was a bad choice. everytime i drove past the shop earlier there was a line around the block to get in.

honestly, yeah, it's a dumb gimmick. will i seek out the green day live at woodstock '94 record in a few months? yeah probably.
good come sausage

hangontoyourego

« Reply #574 on: April 11, 2019, 07:28:28 PM »
i sprinted to my local shop at 8:45PM after many beers when they closed at 9 on RSD last year. Impulse spent $90 on three records, one of which was that animal chin recording that still remains unopened in my storage. it was a bad choice. everytime i drove past the shop earlier there was a line around the block to get in.

honestly, yeah, it's a dumb gimmick. will i seek out the green day live at woodstock '94 record in a few months? yeah probably.
it’s a dumb gimmick i still enjoy but for once the lock shop special ordered me what i want as well as put them aside so i don’t have to rush there . i hope they are decent reissues cause i’ve gotten rooked by poorly done reissues

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #575 on: April 13, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
Bumping because it's RSD, just was curious if anyone else went out for it.

Glurmpz

« Reply #576 on: April 14, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »

Nah. In the past I've gone to some shops on RSD, and it was just super annoying. Crazy busy, and the only difference seems to be a ton of super expensive reissues with fancy packaging. There's always loads left over anyway, at least where I live.

It's a gimmick to make a bunch of sales on one day. I don't need a colored vinyl version of something with different artwork for more than an original costs.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: April 15, 2019, 04:44:16 AM »
i shit talked it before, but i walked past the little local shop in my hometown over the weekend around 3PM and popped in and grabbed the ramones live @ the palladium on nye 1979 because it seemed cool.
good come sausage

hangontoyourego

« Reply #578 on: April 17, 2019, 09:17:04 PM »
i picked up the 1st two frank black reissues . keep meaning to stop by another local record shop to see what’s left .

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #579 on: April 17, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i picked up the 1st two frank black reissues . keep meaning to stop by another local record shop to see what’s left .

i got the bone thugs, broken social scene & modest mouse ones. stood in line for one shop for almost an hour and ditched to 3 other spots including amoeba, while checking in on the first spot with the same people in line. glad i left.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

hangontoyourego

« Reply #580 on: April 18, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i got the bone thugs, broken social scene & modest mouse ones. stood in line for one shop for almost an hour and ditched to 3 other spots including amoeba, while checking in on the first spot with the same people in line. glad i left.
which amoeba ? if you in the oakland ares is
aware 12 go & econojam has some long lines but they do get a lot of good records . funny you mention modest mouse i saw someone on the street with a modest mouse shirt and i was like damn haven’t thought of them in years . saw them back in jersey prob 20 years ago before they broke big

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #581 on: April 18, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
You guys who stood in line: Do you know exactly what you want when you get there and only shop for that, or do you go in blind and just try to find things? I've got things I always look for, but for the most part my record shopping is done totally blind, so it usually takes me a while. I don't even really like doing it if I don't have at least an hour to shop, unless it's a super small collection.

I didn't go out this year, but I saw some local shops posting on instagram with lines wrapped around the block and it just looked like way too much for me. I hate feeling rushed when I'm in public, so I don't think I would even enjoy myself unless I knew exactly what I wanted, grabbed that and got out.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #582 on: April 18, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
aware 12 go & econojam has some long lines but they do get a lot of good records . funny you mention modest mouse i saw someone on the street with a modest mouse shirt and i was like damn haven’t thought of them in years . saw them back in jersey prob 20 years ago before they broke big

amoeba sf. i was in line for 1234 go, saw this new place stranded opened and got the bone thugs. went to thrillhouse for bss and found mm at amoeba. i thought amoeba would’ve been the toughest but it was in and out.

You guys who stood in line: Do you know exactly what you want when you get there and only shop for that, or do you go in blind and just try to find things? I've got things I always look for, but for the most part my record shopping is done totally blind, so it usually takes me a while. I don't even really like doing it if I don't have at least an hour to shop, unless it's a super small collection.

I didn't go out this year, but I saw some local shops posting on instagram with lines wrapped around the block and it just looked like way too much for me. I hate feeling rushed when I'm in public, so I don't think I would even enjoy myself unless I knew exactly what I wanted, grabbed that and got out.

i’ve never lined up before and usually go a day or 2 after for leftovers, since i don’t like feeling like i’m being rushed, too. i do read and see what’s out before i go though, and there’s always the ones you forget about so it was cool to see most of what was available.

still need to get that animal chin soundtrack...
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: April 19, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »
If anyone is interested, Kill Shaman Records is having a total blowout sale. I just bought 7 lps for under $20. I've never heard any of this stuff other than the song samples on the site, but what I picked out sounded pretty sick. This label has put out some things that I love, so I'm hoping my picks are solid. It's mostly punk/garage/lofi weird stuff, so if you're into that it's probably worth grabbing a few things. Most are like $1 each.

https://killshaman.com/collections/all

Here's what I got.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #584 on: April 19, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

amoeba sf. i was in line for 1234 go, saw this new place stranded opened and got the bone thugs. went to thrillhouse for bss and found mm at amoeba. i thought amoeba would’ve been the toughest but it was in and out.

Expand Quote

[close]

i’ve never lined up before and usually go a day or 2 after for leftovers, since i don’t like feeling like i’m being rushed, too. i do read and see what’s out before i go though, and there’s always the ones you forget about so it was cool to see most of what was available.

i always look each year to see what’s coming out . it’s been a few years since i waited in line but i don’t mind since 1234 go will have a food truck and the coffee shop across the street opens up early plus i enjoi talking to people on line about records . it’s nice to have the human interaction. i keep forgetting to stop by 12 go to see what left .I need the soundtrack for lost in translation with scarlett’s butt .

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: April 19, 2019, 10:30:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i always look each year to see what’s coming out . it’s been a few years since i waited in line but i don’t mind since 1234 go will have a food truck and the coffee shop across the street opens up early plus i enjoi talking to people on line about records . it’s nice to have the human interaction. i keep forgetting to stop by 12 go to see what left .I need the soundtrack for lost in translation with scarlett’s butt .

I like talking music too. The last time I was digging I found a really nice copy of the Butter 08 album (templeton's song in TiS) for $15. I already have it, but I tried to suggest it to another guy who pulled it out and looked at it.

The time before that some dorky guy approached me and we chatted a bit until I felt a pyramid scheme pitch coming on and I told him I had to leave. He was like 24 and telling me that him and his wife were about to retire in 2 years because they started working with this one guy, but he couldn't tell me what line of work it was in unless I agreed to meet with them about whatever the fuck they did. No business cards but he made it clear that I'd need to be fully committed to the job if he was going to let me in on it, just couldn't let me know what it actually was.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: April 19, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »
If anyone is interested, Kill Shaman Records is having a total blowout sale. I just bought 7 lps for under $20. I've never heard any of this stuff other than the song samples on the site, but what I picked out sounded pretty sick. This label has put out some things that I love, so I'm hoping my picks are solid. It's mostly punk/garage/lofi weird stuff, so if you're into that it's probably worth grabbing a few things. Most are like $1 each.

https://killshaman.com/collections/all

Here's what I got.

i listened to everything that was $1 and it was all pretty hot garbage. i did like "coconut coolouts" but mostly because of the name.

rough trade in brooklyn has a bin of $1 records that's usually trash but if i don't find anything else i usually grab a couple out of there and one in ten of them are actually decent. recently sold like 20 of them to some old record junkie for $75 off craigslist. hot profit.
good come sausage

hangontoyourego

« Reply #587 on: May 10, 2019, 11:04:46 AM »

some new wax this week from reaper records . dare & maximum penalty demo reissued .

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #588 on: May 25, 2019, 07:11:01 AM »

hangontoyourego

« Reply #589 on: May 31, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »

picked me up of the cults “electric” with another Lp called piece which is remixes versions . sounds amazing . picked up two thin lizzy Lps as well

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #590 on: June 06, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »
brought home UFO 'lights out'  ;D after months of spotting it at the local but not having the cash -- i'm not a UFO super-fan but i'm def a fan, and this record didn't disappoint ! i loved it. 'try me' is currently my favorite tune on the album, ofc the title track is a banger too
had a cool experience while gawking at the album art, during the last song 'love to love' the hook has the lyric "misty green and blue" and the album art has a green and blue color theme ... it was like being stoned for the first time again lol

hangontoyourego, fucking cheers on the lizzy lps !!! i was looking for some at the store when i got the UFO one, fuck yeah

hangontoyourego

« Reply #591 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »
brought home UFO 'lights out'  ;D after months of spotting it at the local but not having the cash -- i'm not a UFO super-fan but i'm def a fan, and this record didn't disappoint ! i loved it. 'try me' is currently my favorite tune on the album, ofc the title track is a banger too
had a cool experience while gawking at the album art, during the last song 'love to love' the hook has the lyric "misty green and blue" and the album art has a green and blue color theme ... it was like being stoned for the first time again lol

hangontoyourego, fucking cheers on the lizzy lps !!! i was looking for some at the store when i got the UFO one, fuck yeah
i’m going to check this ufo record out . iron maiden always opens to them

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: June 13, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »
hope the UFO record was cool Ego if u checked it out !

brought home this one today  8)

hangontoyourego

« Reply #593 on: June 13, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »

the ufo lp is great . picked up this reissue i’d fu-manchu “godzilla/eatin’ dust 10” .

hangontoyourego

« Reply #594 on: June 21, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »

picked me up the 1st fleetwood mac . way different then the later stuff . Peter Green is amazing

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: June 22, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
i always love seeing what u pick up ego ! peter green is phenomenal for sure. here's one of my fav recordings with him

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezGnvIUhw0

such a haunting rendition of BB Kings funeral blues tune "got a good mind to give up living" -- his playing really speaks to me. also, BB once said peter green gives him the cold sweats. thats a high honor

also amazing thing about peter green, his les paul was actually defected so that it had built in reverb. not sure how that works, but he considered it magical -- and i would be hard pressed to disagree
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:27:32 PM by Armin Tamzarian »

BelknappBruiser

• Rep: 17
« Reply #596 on: June 26, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I like talking music too. The last time I was digging I found a really nice copy of the Butter 08 album (templeton's song in TiS) for $15. I already have it, but I tried to suggest it to another guy who pulled it out and looked at it.

The time before that some dorky guy approached me and we chatted a bit until I felt a pyramid scheme pitch coming on and I told him I had to leave. He was like 24 and telling me that him and his wife were about to retire in 2 years because they started working with this one guy, but he couldn't tell me what line of work it was in unless I agreed to meet with them about whatever the fuck they did. No business cards but he made it clear that I'd need to be fully committed to the job if he was going to let me in on it, just couldn't let me know what it actually was.

Damn, I would love to have that Butter 08 album on vinyl! Awesome find, for sure! Interested in parting ways with it?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #597 on: June 30, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »

hangontoyourego

« Reply #598 on: July 05, 2019, 09:44:46 AM »

my friend in LA was kind enough to pick this up from mono records in LA.

picked these up earlier in the week . if anyone is a johnny thunders fan be covers “eve of destruction “ & “i’d rather be with the boys”
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:38:28 AM by hangontoyourego »

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »

finally brought home a copy of The Slider by T. Rex  :D it will reside on the turntable in close rotation with my tattered copy of Paranoid, the two are on the tip of my tongue as of late  8)