Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131842 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #660 on: May 22, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THAT KUDROW ALBUM AND NOW IM SO HAPPY

I was so excited to find this. It's been out of print for like 10 years, and somehow I stumbled upon it on some record store's site in Philly. I even called to make sure the listing was correct and apparently it was just like buried in the back or something.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #661 on: May 24, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
King Gizzard's Chunky Shrapnel finally came in. Live record in opaque gold. Pre-ordered about three months ago and forgot about it, came in on Friday which I was pleasantly surprised.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #662 on: May 24, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
I’ve had that O Pioneers split for years but I’m so jealous of that Kudrow record. Fucker! Hahaha

Finally got some Neil Young in my collection over the weekend. Also preordered NO DREAM by Jeff so I’m hyped on that.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #663 on: May 25, 2020, 06:49:13 AM »
I’ve had that O Pioneers split for years but I’m so jealous of that Kudrow record. Fucker! Hahaha

Finally got some Neil Young in my collection over the weekend. Also preordered NO DREAM by Jeff so I’m hyped on that.

I got the early bird glow in the dark vinyl. Should come as no surprise but I absolutely can't stop listening to that new Jeff record.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #664 on: August 24, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
A few recent pics

This takes me back to university days

Rest easy, Chi Pig

This is really good

And lastly, the only new vinyl I scored recently. Adult Fugazi.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #665 on: December 30, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Pretty stoked on the past 12 months of collecting. There's a couple 2nd hand shops near me where I've found a lot of gold between .25 and .75cent per. I've got one guy who puts aside the crates they pick up through donation until I come in so it's pretty sweet.

Not really into GnR, but this shit is classic, out of print, and VG

Julia and Closure were hella unexpected and in VG condition w inserts. Scooped em about 2 weeks ago.

First Pressing on Dr. Strange, Yellow vinyl

This double LP smokes. Picked this up on a sunny day about 2 weeks before Rona came to town. Ate some ganja dummies, sat in the lafuma and was blown away

Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land, SF. This is a beautiful record that just gets inside you. Beautiful, overlooked Blue Note classic

real, real good and dirty

found this one about a month before Mr. Wales died.

Scored a first press Dinosaur Jr. Bug on SST for $3 at a garage sale not so long ago too. Mint.

Then there's the Buffy Saint Marie, Mahalia Jackson, Gatemouth Brown, Mississippi John Hurt, Bowie, Elton, Weather Report (sooooo good), MC5, Lou Reed, numerous Van Morrison (Moondance, tupelo honey), and everything else. 2020 was a good year and kind of made up for all the albums I lost/gave away during moves and those that I didn't buy because I was traveling too much to carry them around.

Not tryna flex, I don't get to share this shit with anyone other than an occasional message with an old homie because it's just my partner and I these days and it's not her scene.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:09:47 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #666 on: February 03, 2021, 12:49:06 PM »
^Great pick ups, especially the Miles and Dino Jr! Have to bump this thread since I got a turntable this past Christmas, been going kinda ham since. My parents handed me their old records and I couldn't be happier. There are definitely way too many to name but I've been slapping hella Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry lately. Avalon in particular, I love the cover so goddamn much.

Honorable mentions from my parents' collection:
Najma- Qareeb
U2- Joshua Tree
Peter Gabriel- So
Aretha- Live at Fillmore West
Stevie- Songs in the Key of Life
The Police- Ghost in the Machine
Pink Floyd- The Wall
Philip Glass- Glassworks
Ray Charles- Ain't it So
Neil Young- After the Gold Rush
Couple Earth, Wind, Fire records

Pick ups since I've started collecting myself:
Portishead- Dummy
The Cure- World War Rare Demos
J Dilla- Donuts
OPN- Age Of
OPN- r plus 7
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib- Bandana
Parliament- Mothership Connection
Wild Nothing- Indigo
Wild Nothing- Gemini
Earl Sweatshirt- Feet of Clay
Protomartyr- Under Color of Official Right
Madvillain- Madvillainy (bought a week before DOOM's death announcement, weird)
Boards of Canada- The Campfire Headphase
Dinosaur Jr.- I Bet On Sky
Blink 182- Buddha (bless my friend John for digging it up)
Miles Davis- Decoy (not a fan of this record)

I apologize for the long post, just hyped I have a community of like-minded skaters to share my vinyl interests with!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:20:05 PM by Manny Fapuiao »
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #667 on: February 03, 2021, 03:12:12 PM »
^^
nice dude. parent scores are sweet. My mom has some pretty solid albums floating around- Bowie, Neil Young, and the like. I really would've wanted my Dad's records but those got lost somewhere along the way. About a week before I met my partner's parents her dad apparently tossed out 3/4 of their bookcase full of vinyl. I was able to salvage Allman Brothers Filmore East and a few Simon and Garfunkel but the rest of the goods were gone. Dude gave me his old technics sl-1400 which is still pretty mint.

I might've said it elsewhere but I started buying vinyl was I was like 12 and getting into punk. you could go to the flea market and buy mint first pressings for under $10 every time. I even remember pulling sabbath out of dollar piles and shit. Nobody really wanted records in the mid to late 90s. CDs were fuckin $16-20 and shit.

Manny Fapuiao

« Reply #668 on: February 03, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »
^^
nice dude. parent scores are sweet. My mom has some pretty solid albums floating around- Bowie, Neil Young, and the like. I really would've wanted my Dad's records but those got lost somewhere along the way. About a week before I met my partner's parents her dad apparently tossed out 3/4 of their bookcase full of vinyl. I was able to salvage Allman Brothers Filmore East and a few Simon and Garfunkel but the rest of the goods were gone. Dude gave me his old technics sl-1400 which is still pretty mint.

I might've said it elsewhere but I started buying vinyl was I was like 12 and getting into punk. you could go to the flea market and buy mint first pressings for under $10 every time. I even remember pulling sabbath out of dollar piles and shit. Nobody really wanted records in the mid to late 90s. CDs were fuckin $16-20 and shit.
damn! who knows what goodies they might've had! I feel ya, it's really my first foray into the world of vinyl and my parents' "good stuff" was all damaged in basement flooding, as the bay area is known to do. God bless u, I need to stop buying new records, shit's hurting my wallet
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #669 on: February 03, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »
Expand Quote
^^

[close]
damn! who knows what goodies they might've had! I feel ya, it's really my first foray into the world of vinyl and my parents' "good stuff" was all damaged in basement flooding, as the bay area is known to do. God bless u, I need to stop buying new records, shit's hurting my wallet

aye, flooding sucks. I'm on the coast about 5 or so north of you and I haven't once been in a house built after 1950 that has a basement. it's the mold and mildew that kill albums up here for sure.

Manny Fapuiao

« Reply #670 on: February 03, 2021, 07:30:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^^

[close]
[close]

aye, flooding sucks. I'm on the coast about 5 or so north of you and I haven't once been in a house built after 1950 that has a basement. it's the mold and mildew that kill albums up here for sure.
it is a weird thing, having a basement on the west coast I've now realized. I've lived in PA the past 10 years now and figure it's a regularity. Fuck mold and mildew, what's a record that you couldn't live without @IusedToSkateMore?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2021, 12:03:17 AM »
^^

same here pretty much....I started buying records when I was around that age and never stopped. Now when I look at the resell value of some of my collection, I freak out and start to worry! I've got around 1000 LPs, including a lot of 80 and 90's hip hop, which has become really expensive in Europe. so if I count, say 10 euros/LP (which is really not a lot on average), I figure I have like 10 000 euros sitting in my living room. starting to think about insurance and shit!
now of course I'm still small time compared to DJs and guys like that who have tens of thousands of records at home....the Crate Digger series on youtube is pretty cool....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVB7KWLgsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsvXx3pcwMI

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #672 on: February 04, 2021, 02:35:42 AM »
Finally got a copy of Roc Marciano - Reloaded. I usually buy dnb/jungle/techno 12's. Stopped collecting hip hop and punk years ago, but i'm slowly stepping back in.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #673 on: February 04, 2021, 02:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote
^^

[close]

same here pretty much....I started buying records when I was around that age and never stopped. Now when I look at the resell value of some of my collection, I freak out and start to worry! I've got around 1000 LPs, including a lot of 80 and 90's hip hop, which has become really expensive in Europe. so if I count, say 10 euros/LP (which is really not a lot on average), I figure I have like 10 000 euros sitting in my living room. starting to think about insurance and shit!
now of course I'm still small time compared to DJs and guys like that who have tens of thousands of records at home....the Crate Digger series on youtube is pretty cool....

That Muggs piece was super cool. To be fair I am a huge Cypress Hill fan (at least of their early records). Good to see that he seems to be a solid dude.

I have a few hundred mostly golden era hip hop (and a few hardcore) records but I figured out most were not worth anything, at least according to discogs. Also, even those who might theoretically be worth something probably aren't because they are not in mint condition, because I did not buy them to gather dust but use(d) to actually play the records.

My greatest haul was in San Diego in 1997, when I got word that a hip hop radio DJ had just dropped a whole record collection at a salvation army thrift store and I got around 70 discs at 50 cents per piece, mostly radio promo singles. Had to buy an extra suitcase to bring them home to Switzerland and the stewardess was not amused when I insisted to keep them in the hand luggage.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: February 04, 2021, 05:42:29 AM »
Man, I've had a Kenwood automatic turntable since like 2014 and it's finally starting to give me some grief. I keep figuring out micro adjustments to do but when one thing gets better, it seems like another gets worse. Thinking it might be time to shell out for a new manual table once and for all but reading reviews of these modern ones is kinda daunting.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #675 on: February 04, 2021, 06:31:05 AM »
Man, I've had a Kenwood automatic turntable since like 2014 and it's finally starting to give me some grief. I keep figuring out micro adjustments to do but when one thing gets better, it seems like another gets worse. Thinking it might be time to shell out for a new manual table once and for all but reading reviews of these modern ones is kinda daunting.
the Audio Technica turntables are pretty good without breaking the bank. I've got the LP-60 which is like the baseline one and it's perfectly fine, my dad has the LP-120 which is the next step up and noticably nicer. I'm gonna upgrade to that maybe later this year, but I'm not in a huge hurry.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #676 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the Audio Technica turntables are pretty good without breaking the bank. I've got the LP-60 which is like the baseline one and it's perfectly fine, my dad has the LP-120 which is the next step up and noticably nicer. I'm gonna upgrade to that maybe later this year, but I'm not in a huge hurry.

I was looking at the LP-120 and kept reading a bunch of issues people were having from it so that's what's scaring me. Could be isolated incidents cuz I always thought Audio-Technica was something of an industry standard as far as modern tables go.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #677 on: February 04, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
^^

[close]

I got my collection logged pretty accurately on Discogs for insurance purposes. That way if there’s any dispute over what stuff was worth I can point to that. Been logging it on there for the last 10 years and it gives a pretty accurate price on things most of the time.

I’ve also got a deal going with a buddy of mine. We pick a different year from 1975 to now each month and buy a record for each other from that year. Means even if I don’t buy something for myself that month I at least get a new album. Usually they’re good picks but you get the occasional dud. Been doing it for near on 3 years so we’re getting close to running out of years

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: February 04, 2021, 02:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
^^

[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVB7KWLgsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsvXx3pcwMI

that's wild! I stopped buying records and just about everything else from 18-28 because I was trying to not really buy stuff, but I never got rid of anything. My collection isn't big or anything but I also don't really buy anything these days unless I want to listen, it's got value, or a friend wants it. I've got a buddy who sells a lot on discogs and who also tattoos me, so I'm always looking for gear for him in exchange for work. it's a good system hah

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #679 on: February 04, 2021, 11:46:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^^

[close]

[close]

I got my collection logged pretty accurately on Discogs for insurance purposes. That way if there’s any dispute over what stuff was worth I can point to that. Been logging it on there for the last 10 years and it gives a pretty accurate price on things most of the time.

I’ve also got a deal going with a buddy of mine. We pick a different year from 1975 to now each month and buy a record for each other from that year. Means even if I don’t buy something for myself that month I at least get a new album. Usually they’re good picks but you get the occasional dud. Been doing it for near on 3 years so we’re getting close to running out of years

hey that's 2 good ideas! did you check that the insurance company accepts your Discogs repertory as evidence? I might have to do the same thing.... even though it'll take a long time to list everything!
anyways yeah, I check Discogs pretty often too (like every vinyl geek I guess) and that's when I freak out. Just this week, I listened to my copy of De La Soul's "3 feet high and rising", which is an original in pretty good condition. out of curiosity, I checked Discogs and again, went woooah: cheapest seller was 40 euros, most expensive 400 (!). average price is maybe 100 or 150 euros.

Dad_Brains

« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^^

[close]

[close]

[close]

hey that's 2 good ideas! did you check that the insurance company accepts your Discogs repertory as evidence? I might have to do the same thing.... even though it'll take a long time to list everything!
anyways yeah, I check Discogs pretty often too (like every vinyl geek I guess) and that's when I freak out. Just this week, I listened to my copy of De La Soul's "3 feet high and rising", which is an original in pretty good condition. out of curiosity, I checked Discogs and again, went woooah: cheapest seller was 40 euros, most expensive 400 (!). average price is maybe 100 or 150 euros.

Nah I didn’t check but that’s a good point.

I’ve bought a couple albums new that weren’t limited release or anything but not major bands so probably not a huge run. Picked them up maybe a year after release from a store no problem and now a couple years later they’re worth in the hundreds for the minimum sale price. I guess all it takes is a couple stupid sale prices to skew the value either way

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #681 on: February 08, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
Peep the collection my dudes

https://www.discogs.com/user/worldcapsized/collection

Only bought like 5 records since COVID started. My city is in serious lockdown and has been most of the time and I'm not down with ordering online. The last thing I copped I think was Shabazz Palace's "Lese Majesty."

Phantasma Del Mar

• Rep: 7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #682 on: February 12, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »

Self Defense Family/Touché Amore split
Rancid picture disc
Touché Amore 7inch
Redemption 87 first 7inch numbered (band in the A.F.I. and the Nerve Agents family tree)
Aquabats numbered picture discs

Super bored so thought I’d post what I have. I can relate to the losing stuff due to mold/water damage and to finding gold in parents collections (intro to Creedence  Clearwater revival, cheech and Chong, etc). Love the good finds in this thread, keep em coming

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: February 12, 2021, 05:34:56 PM »

Rancid picture disc
Touché Amore 7inch
Redemption 87 first 7inch numbered (band in the A.F.I. and the Nerve Agents family tree)

Super bored so thought I’d post what I have. I can relate to the losing stuff due to mold/water damage and to finding gold in parents collections (intro to Creedence  Clearwater revival, cheech and Chong, etc). Love the good finds in this thread, keep em coming

oh wow, Rancid 2000. I had a hard time listening to Life Won't Wait at that time (which I actually enjoy for a Rancid record these days), so to my young dude ears Rancid 2000 was a return to the first s/t record for sure. Antennas, GGF, Rwanda, Radio Habana. Throw back status. enjoy it man

Phantasma Del Mar

• Rep: 7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #684 on: February 12, 2021, 06:42:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Rancid picture disc
Touché Amore 7inch

[close]

oh wow, Rancid 2000. I had a hard time listening to Life Won't Wait at that time (which I actually enjoy for a Rancid record these days), so to my young dude ears Rancid 2000 was a return to the first s/t record for sure. Antennas, GGF, Rwanda, Radio Habana. Throw back status. enjoy it man

Thanks, yes fond memories of Rancid 2000 my senior year in art class. You ever seen em live? Most recently I saw them do a show celebrating 20 years as a band, they still are amazing! Cock Sparrer was celebrating 40 years as band on the same tour

Dad_Brains

« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2021, 08:37:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Rancid picture disc
Touché Amore 7inch

[close]

[close]

Thanks, yes fond memories of Rancid 2000 my senior year in art class. You ever seen em live? Most recently I saw them do a show celebrating 20 years as a band, they still are amazing! Cock Sparrer was celebrating 40 years as band on the same tour

Nice one on that redemption 87. All guns poolside is a favourite of mine.

I was gonna order the rancid picture discs pack of all 6 of them they were selling a few years back but my partner saw that I have the original lp’s already so she knew the plan was for on the wall which she want keen on

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: February 13, 2021, 11:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Rancid picture disc
Touché Amore 7inch

[close]

[close]

Yep, I think it was sophomore/junior year for me when that hit.

Ya, I've seen them a 3x in Boston and Providence RI. Can't remember at what shows who played with who but I think one show Murphys Law opened and Jimmy G humiliated a bouncer for fucking with a kid. Another more recent show was with H2O and it was pretty fun. Pretty sure I saw em with the Unseen at an earlier point or something like that earlier.

Always a fun time

breezy_again

• Rep: 41
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »

breezy_again

• Rep: 41
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #688 on: September 23, 2023, 10:23:25 AM »

i like 45s

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #689 on: September 23, 2023, 12:26:07 PM »
 :P

Yo, why do you got 2 copies of L Fudge? You wouldn’t happen to be a turntablist?

Post your Technics 1200s with the Gemini mixer…