Author Topic: Have any PALS taught English abroad?  (Read 1337 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Have any PALS taught English abroad?
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »
Hey PALS

So I graduated college last year and I really want to live abroad. Preferably Europe , S. America or South East Asia - any where that would allow me to go to other places ones the program is done.  I didn't take the chance when I had so I figured teaching English in other countries would be a good options. I just finished and passed a TEFL course. I've been browsing tons of websites like eslcafe, eslemployement and adjarn.com which allow you to look for jobs as well as post your resumes so recruiters can look for you. I have also heard of people moving to the country of choice and finding work on their own- which I really wouldn't want to do because I would like to have some solidarity when moving to a new country.

Any advice from people who've had taught abroad? Any information helps. Thanks
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Powdered Toast Man!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
Re: Have any PALS taught English abroad?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
funny, im a senior and i was looking into that at the languages department just yesterday.
i dont plan on starting my masters anytime soon so im truly considering living abroad as well,
lets hope some pals come through with this one

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:48:53 AM »
Hey PALS

So I graduated college last year and I really want to live abroad. Preferably Europe, S. America or South East Asia - any where that would allow me to go to other places ones the program is done.  I didn't take the chance when I had so I figured teaching English in other countries would be a good options. I just finished and passed a TEFL course. I've been browsing tons of websites like eslcafe, eslemployement and adjarn.com which allow you to look for jobs as well as post your resumes so recruiters can look for you. I have also heard of people moving to the country of choice and finding work on their own- which I really wouldn't want to do because I would like to have some solidarity when moving to a new country.

Any advice from people who've had taught abroad? Any information helps. Thanks

So what's your degree in? Is it something teaching related? Do you speak any language other than English? Fluently I mean?

I don't know about South East Asia and South America but competition here in (Central) Europe is pretty tough. You need a full university degree (Master that is) in teaching English AND an additional subject in countries such as Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

Theoretically speaking, it is not impossible to find a job in (Central) Europe but it is pretty tough. A lot of people, locals included, wanna do the same. All the best though!

Martin

• Rep: 1
  • http://mz-skate.blogspot.de/
    • http://mz-skate.blogspot.de/ avatar image
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:07 AM »
Normally you have two study to subjects of choice and a compulsory subject related to pedagogy and educational theory in Central Europe ( I live in germany). Master degree is mandatory.
Nevertheless, there were certain techers during my school years who did not study to become a teacher, but who entered school from a different educational background. Nothing is impossible, you see. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:23:49 AM by Martin »

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:30 AM »
Normally you have two study to subjects of choice and a compulsory subject related to pedagogy and educational theory in Central Europe ( I live in germany). Master degree is mandatory.
Nevertheless, there were certain techers during my school years who did not study to become a teacher, but who entered school from a different educational background. Nothing is impossible, you see. Good Luck.

Yup. Pretty much sums it up.

However, there is an abundance of English graduates nowadays. Most of them have near-native competence PLUS having received an academic education in teaching English PLUS being familiar with the German, Swiss etc. educational system PLUS speaking the local language (which is especially important in beginners' classes). Some schools still have "language assistants" but just not necessarily in English. If you're a native speaker of French, Spanish or Russian, your chances will be much better.

That being said, nothing's impossible. If I were in your shoes, I'd focus on South America and Asia though.

Also: I've taught English in a South African township during my study abroad semester. Didn't receive any payment though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:21:04 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »

[/quote]

So what's your degree in? Is it something teaching related? Do you speak any language other than English? Fluently I mean?

I don't know about South East Asia and South America but competition here in (Central) Europe is pretty tough. You need a full university degree (Master that is) in teaching English AND an additional subject in countries such as Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

Theoretically speaking, it is not impossible to find a job in (Central) Europe but it is pretty tough. A lot of people, locals included, wanna do the same. All the best though!
[/quote]

My degree is in Sociology. I speak Hindi fluently although I don't plan on teaching English in India or Pakistan.. Thanks for the advice and information. I haven't applied to any places in Europe yet but I am in the process of applying to a program in Spain which requires a TEFL certification, a 4 year degree and some basic Spanish skills. Looks like each institution and program have very different qualifications.

funny, im a senior and i was looking into that at the languages department just yesterday.
i dont plan on starting my masters anytime soon so im truly considering living abroad as well,
lets hope some pals come through with this one

So what I did was I got a  TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language) certification from a course I took online (www.teflcorp.com/). I finished the course online and got certified. A lot of various schools and institutions don't require the TEFL cert. but it looks good to have. The main thing you need is a 4 year degree and being fluent in English.

[

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
http://www.eslcafe.com/

thanks! my co-worker gave me this link and its so useful! ive applied to a few jobs. thanks again! do you have experience in teaching abroad?

[

NergTurtleson

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
Check out "The Horizon School." It's in Peru and appears to be a very good program. I was going to teach there last year but ended up running out of money and couldn't make it.

One to not do is "Hess International." I was accepted back in October but their contract was really crazy, so I decided not to go. Things like holding your passport and making you buy it back if things didn't work out, kicking you out without pay, putting you up in the slums, and this contract was the preliminary one, they wouldn't show you the actual work contract until you arrived in Taiwan.

Best of luck though, I hear Uruguay is pretty amazing.

NergTurtleson

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
You should also check out "WWOOF'ing" and "Work Away." Neither are teaching, but they are both great ways to travel. I did a lot of farming and even got to work with sled dogs for a while (if those type things interest you). You don't get paid, but you get a room or shack and food so you don't really have expenses.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »
Check out "The Horizon School." It's in Peru and appears to be a very good program. I was going to teach there last year but ended up running out of money and couldn't make it.

One to not do is "Hess International." I was accepted back in October but their contract was really crazy, so I decided not to go. Things like holding your passport and making you buy it back if things didn't work out, kicking you out without pay, putting you up in the slums, and this contract was the preliminary one, they wouldn't show you the actual work contract until you arrived in Taiwan.

Best of luck though, I hear Uruguay is pretty amazing.

Whoa.. Thanks for the pointers man. Did The Horizons require a TEFL/TESOL certification ? I'll make sure to avoid "hess" - sounds fucking insane..making you buy your passport back? I've been using a lot of sites that just post jobs from various places like eslcafe, eslemployement and ajarn. All are pretty useful and hopefully I'll hear back. I heard about the Woof thing from a friend recently. I would have looked into that a lot earlier but I spent a couple bills on the TEFL online course and I've finished that already so I think I want to utilize that. Thanks for all the information!

[

NergTurtleson

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
Whoa.. Thanks for the pointers man. Did The Horizons require a TEFL/TESOL certification ? I'll make sure to avoid "hess" - sounds fucking insane..making you buy your passport back? I've been using a lot of sites that just post jobs from various places like eslcafe, eslemployement and ajarn. All are pretty useful and hopefully I'll hear back. I heard about the Woof thing from a friend recently. I would have looked into that a lot earlier but I spent a couple bills on the TEFL online course and I've finished that already so I think I want to utilize that. Thanks for all the information!
[/quote]

I don't think Horizon required a TEFL. I don't have one and they never said anything about it. They have a facebook page though, which might help. It's "Horizon School Peru."

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
I'm looking into the same thing. You can find online TEFL certs for dirt, less than $300 US. I've had friends teach in South Korea, and while it isn't the most exciting place, they say, the pay is high for inexperienced TESOL teachers, round trip airfare is often included, living accommodations are provided, and health insurance/vacation is granted.

I've got opportunities in Cambodia and Costa Rica. I'd prefer SE Asia, but a $2k round trip is out of my range. So, with a year in S. Korea, which would be time to bank, I could then venture into the Mekong peninsula for a while and live well.

Search the web, meet people. you're going to read horror stories about anywhere. Depends on if you want the horror of a mundane life or the horror of somewhere else for a year. Even if it sucks, it's only a year...

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »
It really depends where you go.

Probably best to get a job in a country you want to live in and then look for something better when you are settled.

TESOL will be useful but won't lead to prime jobs.

Good luck. It's a good move and a great way to see the world!
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
Got a job in China! I start next month and it ends in February! Got an awesome offer- Monthly salary , housing and health insurance! Thanks for all the info PALS!

[