Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701404 times)

Ilya Oblomov

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3120 on: December 17, 2020, 03:29:11 AM »
I’d have to put them on my board since my setup is so specific. At that point it’s probably better to just order and try for myself. But this discussion helps to narrow it down. I am tempted to try the 97As since people tell me softer wheels help them deal with the shitty ground we have all over the place here in Berlin.

What's so specific about your setup?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3121 on: December 17, 2020, 05:03:41 AM »
Expand Quote
I’d have to put them on my board since my setup is so specific. At that point it’s probably better to just order and try for myself. But this discussion helps to narrow it down. I am tempted to try the 97As since people tell me softer wheels help them deal with the shitty ground we have all over the place here in Berlin.
[close]

I am 6'5'', 233 lbs, US15 feet. My setup reflects this with a 9.8" deck, 169 Indies, hard bushings bolted down. I freak out on the sub 9" decks with loose trucks everyone rides.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3122 on: December 17, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I am 6'5'', 233 lbs, US15 feet. My setup reflects this with a 9.8" deck, 169 Indies, hard bushings bolted down. I freak out on the sub 9" decks with loose trucks everyone rides.

Sounds like a rad ride!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3123 on: December 18, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #3124 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3125 on: December 20, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
I'm trying to skate a big slippery indoor wooden bowl and my F4 101s and STF 103As felt like skating on glass. I'm looking at F4 99A Conical, F4 97A Classic and maybe the F1 99A Classic or OG Classic. The F1 is clearly inferior to the F4s, but I'm concerned about the slipperiness of the F4s as even the 99s have shown to be slidey, which I want to avoid completely (while retaining a high durometer for speed). Would the 99A Conical offer better grip than the 97A Classic due to the wider contact patch?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:00:10 PM by mbam003 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3126 on: December 20, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
I'm trying to skate a big slippery indoor wooden bowl and my F4 101s and STF 103As felt like skating on glass. I'm looking at F4 99A Conical, F4 97A Classic and maybe the F1 99A Classic or OG Classic. The F1 is clearly inferior to the F4s, but I'm concerned about the slipperiness of the F4s as even the 99s have shown to be slidey, which I want to avoid completely (while retaining a high durometer for speed). Would the 99A Conical offer better grip than the 97A Classic due to the wider contact patch?

I have some wider softer wheels that work much better in slippery wooden ramps / bowls, including older Spitfires they don't make any more, but there are other wheels out there, mainly around 95 duro that make slippery ramps feel the same as my 99s on raw concrete, without losing speed or performance.  I guess it is down to what you are able to get in the area you are in, but even 97s should not be quite as slippery as what you are currently on.

The other side of it is the surface, as most wood surfaces with decent layers of ply or skatelite or similar clean up really well with a bit of spray and wipe, but if it is more the particle board or something that cannot get wet, then you can't really do much about it.  Those things get very dirty and dusty, which is why they feel so slippery, so a bit of cleaning and even hard wheels should feel more normal on the same surface you were slipping out on before the clean.

We did this at a couple of different indoor parks I have worked at / helped with and cleaning the surface made a huge difference to how slippery it was to ride.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3127 on: December 20, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »

I love 99A Conical full for concrete parks/street but the 97a classic is my new favorite indoor wheel. Perfect for wooden ramps. I’m running 54s right now but I have 56s on ice for a potential bowl board.

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3128 on: December 20, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have some wider softer wheels that work much better in slippery wooden ramps / bowls, including older Spitfires they don't make any more, but there are other wheels out there, mainly around 95 duro that make slippery ramps feel the same as my 99s on raw concrete, without losing speed or performance.  I guess it is down to what you are able to get in the area you are in, but even 97s should not be quite as slippery as what you are currently on.

The other side of it is the surface, as most wood surfaces with decent layers of ply or skatelite or similar clean up really well with a bit of spray and wipe, but if it is more the particle board or something that cannot get wet, then you can't really do much about it.  Those things get very dirty and dusty, which is why they feel so slippery, so a bit of cleaning and even hard wheels should feel more normal on the same surface you were slipping out on before the clean.

We did this at a couple of different indoor parks I have worked at / helped with and cleaning the surface made a huge difference to how slippery it was to ride.

I rode my new FF OG Classics 99d 55mm wheels today on wet asphalt and was pleasantly surprised how much grip I had. Obviously not a wooden bowl but figured Id chime in.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #3129 on: December 20, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »
Set up a new set of F4 54mm 99a’s that I got around August that I’ve just been keeping on hold till now, they still feel great, don’t notice any change in quality at all.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3130 on: December 21, 2020, 02:03:28 AM »

I rode my new FF OG Classics 99d 55mm wheels today on wet asphalt and was pleasantly surprised how much grip I had. Obviously not a wooden bowl but figured Id chime in.

It all helps with more perspectives and comments.  They definitely make a difference compared to some other wheels which are like rolling on ice when on other surfaces.

flocke

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3131 on: December 23, 2020, 02:26:59 AM »
my fav is the „normal“ conical. They are sold out everywhere. Should i go with conical fulls 52mm 99a or classics?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3132 on: December 23, 2020, 04:47:13 AM »
my fav is the „normal“ conical. They are sold out everywhere. Should i go with conical fulls 52mm 99a or classics?

Conical full are 1mm wider than conical in the 52mm, with the contact area being 1.5mm more than conical shape wheels, so you might find conical full to be closer.  Check out the sizes here:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

hiljentaa

• Rep: 303
« Reply #3133 on: December 23, 2020, 03:19:54 PM »
Ordered a set of 51mm 99a tablets. Stoked to hear what all the fuss is about, although I probably won't be able to skate outdoors very often soon enough.

Been on a set of 99a 48mm generic Spitfires, I assume their 'og formula'? They are a good wheel but I wish they slid a bit more, so hoping the F4s satisfy that itch.

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #3134 on: December 23, 2020, 07:15:05 PM »
one question, does F4 wheels chips easily? running 2 setups both with F4 classics & conical fulls, seems like they're chipped easily.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3135 on: December 24, 2020, 06:23:07 AM »
one question, does F4 wheels chips easily? running 2 setups both with F4 classics & conical fulls, seems like they're chipped easily.

I would say the same as any other wheel in the same circumstances.  There are sharp edges on a few things in one park I know and it doesn't matter what wheel you are riding, they all get eaten alive there. Most of my wheels never have any issues that haven't been as a result of my own skating, eg powerslide on rough bitumen road and get chunks taken out.

If you think there might be a fault, go to the spitfirewheels.com site and fill out the warranty info.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3136 on: December 25, 2020, 03:54:27 AM »

Depends on where u riding I would say. My conicals fulls Chipped when i rode and slid alot on asfalt, but nothing extreme. When I started riding at the park instead they never chipped and got a smooth riding surface again.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3137 on: December 26, 2020, 12:30:56 AM »
That's weird, i mostly skate rough asphalt due to where i live and i don't think my wheels have chipped even once

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3138 on: December 26, 2020, 06:29:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's weird, i mostly skate rough asphalt due to where i live and i don't think my wheels have chipped even once

It could be in the way the wheels are dragged or how they slide over the surface too, or if they are digging into the surface a lot, eg one guy I know loves to do backside kickflips but not land them all the way round, so when he lands 130 and drags the other 50 to make a full 180, he takes chunks out of any wheels fairly regularly, or at least any wheels that are not really rounded like classic shapes, so the conical full get a beating.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #3139 on: December 27, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
Finally bought a set after years of riding SPF and Speedlab. The hype is real!

I got the 99a OG classics 58mm. They're a little on the fat side but fast as hell. Feels pretty similar to the 81b SPF but the extra width gives them a little more grip

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #3140 on: December 30, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
has anyone rode their 97a's enough to give a good review or comparison of how they feel comparatively to either 99s or 101s?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 303
« Reply #3141 on: December 30, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »
Has anyone heard when Radial Slims will be in production again?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3142 on: December 30, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
Has anyone heard when Radial Slims will be in production again?

Pretty sure I have seen some around, but a lot more people who like that shape are going for the tablets.  They are almost the same, just a mm thinner in 52 and the same width in 53+ with the same or a touch wider contact area.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

Looking back over the thread, I see you got some anyway.  Did you like them or not so keen?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3143 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:10 PM »
has anyone rode their 97a's enough to give a good review or comparison of how they feel comparatively to either 99s or 101s?

There have been quite a few people who have made comment, either back a few pages in here, or the wheels thread, but the general consensus is they still slide well and just grip a bit more and are a touch smoother than the 99s and the people who have skated them like them a lot.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #3144 on: December 30, 2020, 08:07:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good to hear. Just ordered some. Went 56s, which is way big for me, but the idea is to be able to ride over some stuff. Will report back. If I actually skate.

There have been quite a few people who have made comment, either back a few pages in here, or the wheels thread, but the general consensus is they still slide well and just grip a bit more and are a touch smoother than the 99s and the people who have skated them like them a lot.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3145 on: January 04, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »
So formula 4 99a’s are the most similar to Loophole? I thought I saw somewhere that loopholes were 103a but I guess that’s just their own standard?

ballintoohard

« Reply #3146 on: January 04, 2021, 07:56:40 AM »
I was in Loophole recently and maybe the 97a? I don’t know the Loophole duro but they were much more grippy than the 99 F4 I’m on now and similar shape too. Not bad but I won’t go back.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #3147 on: January 04, 2021, 08:55:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I love mine.

I honestly don't notice much difference from 99a though.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #3148 on: January 05, 2021, 03:25:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty spot on. Skating a set now. 52mm and feel smoother than 55/56 99’s, tad bouncy but overall great. Still slide great.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3149 on: January 05, 2021, 06:49:11 AM »
Last couple of posts totally convinced me the F4 97a are exactly what I have been looking for. I had my mind set on Conical Fulls though and the only 97a available in Germany are Classics. How much difference does it really make?