Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701883 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4530 on: December 07, 2022, 09:36:29 AM »
Yo what?! 50mm conical fulls? That sounds great. Thanks for the heads up.

* I currently have some 50mm classics on Indy 159s and that looks a bit ridiculous ^^
IG: @flowterspace

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4531 on: December 07, 2022, 10:07:32 AM »
I’ve only seen smokies conicals, not fulls (but would be interested). I used to run the Anderson SFWs in 50mm, those were one of my favorite wheels before F4

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4532 on: December 07, 2022, 03:46:04 PM »
I’ve only seen smokies conicals, not fulls (but would be interested). I used to run the Anderson SFWs in 50mm, those were one of my favorite wheels before F4

The Lil Smokies are just scaled down versions, so the Conical Full wheel is still small, but not quite as narrow as others in that 50mm size.  Definitely a good proportion of width and shape.

They looked a bit scary in the bigger 56mm size, which is what I ususally bought at the time in "Bighead" / Classic Full shape.  The funny thing is I just picked up another set of the 55mm slightly used from a friend recently, which are good for bigger stuff.

The smaller versions of the SFW are so much better for everything / more fun overall though.

This is a good one to show all the sizes, although "Conical Full" name came later it was the same shape they use now.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 03:53:33 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4533 on: December 08, 2022, 09:10:03 AM »

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4534 on: December 08, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »

* I currently have some 50mm classics on Indy 159s and that looks a bit ridiculous ^^

I wanted some early 90s energy on my Huffer, and I had a set of 50mm Classics, but I hear you on the tiny Classics looking funny on wide trucks, so I just snagged the 50mm/101A Conical Fulls. Here’s the look with AF1 60s.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4535 on: December 08, 2022, 10:14:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wanted some early 90s energy on my Huffer, and I had a set of 50mm Classics, but I hear you on the tiny Classics looking funny on wide trucks, so I just snagged the 50mm/101A Conical Fulls. Here’s the look with AF1 60s.

i dont think it looks ridiculous on 8.75 axles
starts getting weird in the 169 range imo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4536 on: December 08, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is reminding me of all the EMB raw footage I've seen on YouTube of Mike Carrol and friends.

You've got to skate a ledge and barely grind in honor of them. Maybe dance between a crook and a nose slide.

Not sure how they were able to skate bricks with such small wheels.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 11:21:55 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #4537 on: December 08, 2022, 10:41:03 AM »
i've been on the hunt for some lil smokies for a while now but no success yet. hope a batch hits europe soon.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4538 on: December 08, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
As the width of the wheel isn't thinner due to it's size as they're just shaved down defects, just nab some 51mm spits? That's the path I went.

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #4539 on: December 08, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
As the width of the wheel isn't thinner due to it's size as they're just shaved down defects, just nab some 51mm spits? That's the path I went.

but they're allmost 20 bucks cheaper.
also kinda dont think i can run them fulltime. the crust is real out here.

iangreen66

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4540 on: December 08, 2022, 12:43:53 PM »
holiday 22 is up

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/holiday-2022/

I'm kind of bummed there's nothing bigger than 58mm, but there are nice options at that size. I am on some 60mm F4 classics right now and I feel like I've been my most comfortable on the board as of recent.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #4541 on: December 08, 2022, 01:04:31 PM »
Did the stop making og classics? I had some more 58s on deck but I ended up setting them up. I really was loving them.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #4542 on: December 08, 2022, 01:14:47 PM »
For my fellow woodworkers/hobbyists:

A couple of friends bought the Evan Smith Mashup wheels and I offered to do some work on the boxes.

The boxes are made of some cheap scrap wood that's so soft that I could easily poke holes in the wood with a toothpick. That doesn't mean it's not a good project though.

Sanded up to 220 grit, applied a dark brown wood stain, applied three layers of gloss spar urethane, gently wet sanded with 400 grit to remove any remaining residue, and applied a wax finish for a bit of extra protection.

Final:

I wish it wasn't so cloudy right now since the color pops out when the sun's shining on it, kinda like the 2nd and 3rd picture.

It was also difficult to work on the inside of the box and the crevice where the lid slides in, so I mainly focused on the exterior of the box. Someone with more experience with me may have a workaround for that though.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #4543 on: December 08, 2022, 01:19:34 PM »
Those are sick! Great work! I'd put my weed it it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4544 on: December 08, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »
Did the stop making og classics? I had some more 58s on deck but I ended up setting them up. I really was loving them.

I think others had asked and were told they will make some more OG Classics in 2023, but everything is already booked up production wise until then.

Guessing in USA and other places they are out, but here in AU there are still heaps but maybe not in all sizes, some around though if you look hard enough, including 58 and 60 mm.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4545 on: December 08, 2022, 03:51:33 PM »
For my fellow woodworkers/hobbyists:

A couple of friends bought the Evan Smith Mashup wheels and I offered to do some work on the boxes.

The boxes are made of some cheap scrap wood that's so soft that I could easily poke holes in the wood with a toothpick. That doesn't mean it's not a good project though.

It was also difficult to work on the inside of the box and the crevice where the lid slides in, so I mainly focused on the exterior of the box. Someone with more experience with me may have a workaround for that though.

They look amazing!

Also curious how many sets you got in and if anyone has played mix and match with them - not that it matters, but I am just curious.

I used to do that when I had a shop and access and people actually wanted the unique sets I made up more than the production stock in many cases, but I could see it being something that some shop owners or others might frown on.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #4546 on: December 08, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »
holiday 22 is up

How are they gonna drop Horror Business inspired 53mm F4 99a classics right after I bought some normal ones?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4547 on: December 08, 2022, 05:51:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That setup looks awesome. I also hope I can find some Lil Smokies here in Europe soon.
IG: @flowterspace

Very Bev

• Rep: -6
« Reply #4548 on: December 08, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »
just set up a set of radials for the first time (went from skating only classics forever, then to conicals for the last year or two) and man I have been having so much fun. Great for ledges and coping alike, flip tricks feel good, idk i'm super stoked on them (55mm 99a). Got the lotties drawing on em too which is beast.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4549 on: December 08, 2022, 09:23:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That setup looks awesome. I also hope I can find some Lil Smokies here in Europe soon.

Yeah, it’s a blast. Loose and surfy without having to worry about wheelbite too much. Love it as a parking lot/curb board, though I haven’t gotten to take it out much due to sloppy weather.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4550 on: December 09, 2022, 06:16:07 AM »

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • ow

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4552 on: December 09, 2022, 01:57:22 PM »
holiday 22 is up

This thread triggers my consumerism so hard. My Radial Full 56mm 99A are not even down to 55mm and I have put in an order for the 97A variant. In my mind they’ll be even nicer on my "lazy day cruise to bowl / carve and do some flat ground tricks"-setup.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4553 on: December 09, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote

This thread triggers my consumerism so hard. My Radial Full 56mm 99A are not even down to 55mm and I have put in an order for the 97A variant. In my mind they’ll be even nicer on my "lazy day cruise to bowl / carve and do some flat ground tricks"-setup.

not sure if this makes it better or worse but at least youre probably right

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4554 on: December 09, 2022, 06:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

not sure if this makes it better or worse but at least youre probably right

Haha, thanks. You def make me feel better about the impulse buy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4555 on: December 10, 2022, 07:11:51 PM »
Do Radials have less of an issue with catching a crack and getting traintracked compared to comical side profiles? Been on Classic Fulls for most of the year and have a set of Radial 52 I got from a warranty issue but hated that about conicals.

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #4556 on: December 13, 2022, 01:12:13 PM »
F4 99d Radials in 52mm and 54mm skatepark of Tampa. Didn’t see these on the holiday catalog. Went ahead and picked up a few sets

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4557 on: December 14, 2022, 08:18:37 AM »
F4 99d Radials in 52mm and 54mm skatepark of Tampa. Didn’t see these on the holiday catalog. Went ahead and picked up a few sets

Well SPOTted!

I did hear the 99s in the original blue graphic was coming out again in 52, 54 and 56 mm sizes, but I see on the SPOT site that they are a reverse colour, like the new 97 duro wheels.  Curious when you get them if they are the background blue with silver logo or background more plain with blue logo.

Not that it matters in the slightest, given I usually take the graphic off anyway, but at least they are out there again, the 54mm size especially.

Examples:

https://spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

https://skateparkoftampa.com/product/68495/Spitfire_Natural_Blue_Formula_Four_99D_Radial_Shaped_Wheels/&CID=10444

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4558 on: December 14, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »

To add to the Radial info (but also make it a separate post):

It might have something to do with the wheels coming up in a Google search with listings on Ali Express in the original colour, so just beware of those ones - buying from a reputable shop always helps.

The fake wheels appear to be more of a classic shape anyway, as per their other wheels that came out with various graphics and packaging for Classics, Radial Slims and normal Radials, Conical Full, etc.

Not going to link any of the fake ones here, but more than a couple of listings came up in my search just now.

@rocklobster or anyone else come across these ones?  This is a first for me anyway.

Here is a pic of the fake ones, more rounded edges:

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • ow
« Reply #4559 on: December 14, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well SPOTted!

I did hear the 99s in the original blue graphic was coming out again in 52, 54 and 56 mm sizes, but I see on the SPOT site that they are a reverse colour, like the new 97 duro wheels.  Curious when you get them if they are the background blue with silver logo or background more plain with blue logo.

Not that it matters in the slightest, given I usually take the graphic off anyway, but at least they are out there again, the 54mm size especially.

Examples:

https://spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

https://skateparkoftampa.com/product/68495/Spitfire_Natural_Blue_Formula_Four_99D_Radial_Shaped_Wheels/&CID=10444

Found the OG graphic in 99d 56mm available at Modern if anyone is interested:

https://www.modernskate.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-radial-shape-99-duro-wheel?_pos=5&_sid=a63d68040&_ss=r