Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701533 times)

Samsquantch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5130 on: June 05, 2023, 06:50:14 PM »
Alright, I need ya'll to tell me if this should bother me or if I should pull my head out of my ass.

Was running mini logo and cheap mosiac bearings before which are both pretty noisy and don't roll the best outta the box. Splashed out on some Swiss 6's today and because they're so damn quiet I'm noticing that two out of four of my F4 Conical Full's have the bearings seated poorly. Now I'm extremely mechanically inclined, been working on cars, motorcycles, bikes etc for years. The bearings are absolutely seated all the way in, I made sure the wheels were clean before swapping bearings, and I even double checked they were seated by using a correctly sized socket and bench vise to ensure the outer race was seated. The two wheels still spin almost as well, but they make a bit of a mild flatspot type sound when you spin them fast, and when you spin them pinched between your fingers you can feel a slight wobble.

I guess what worries me is that it'll cook my spendy new bearings faster...

So Slap, what do I do? Say fuck it it's a skateboard, or reach out to DLX?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5131 on: June 05, 2023, 06:57:39 PM »
Alright, I need ya'll to tell me if this should bother me or if I should pull my head out of my ass.

Was running mini logo and cheap mosiac bearings before which are both pretty noisy and don't roll the best outta the box. Splashed out on some Swiss 6's today and because they're so damn quiet I'm noticing that two out of four of my F4 Conical Full's have the bearings seated poorly. Now I'm extremely mechanically inclined, been working on cars, motorcycles, bikes etc for years. The bearings are absolutely seated all the way in, I made sure the wheels were clean before swapping bearings, and I even double checked they were seated by using a correctly sized socket and bench vise to ensure the outer race was seated. The two wheels still spin almost as well, but they make a bit of a mild flatspot type sound when you spin them fast, and when you spin them pinched between your fingers you can feel a slight wobble.

Definitely talk to the shop you got them from or DLX directly.

This is a known issue and should not be happening.

Any wheels that have that sort of issue are instant return for refund or exchange when I have seen them, obviously more inclined to exchange, because I would rather skate Formula Four than anything else anyway.

Which wheel graphic and size Conical Full is it?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5132 on: June 05, 2023, 07:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Definitely talk to the shop you got them from or DLX directly.

This is a known issue and should not be happening.

Any wheels that have that sort of issue are instant return for refund or exchange when I have seen them, obviously more inclined to exchange, because I would rather skate Formula Four than anything else anyway.

Which wheel graphic and size Conical Full is it?

I was just looking at them again, and it's pretty mild, though it does cause them to slow down a bit sooner. It probably wouldn't be noticable with broken in bearings, it's just that these Swiss are dead silent out of the box. At this point I'm leaning towards "fuck it it's a skateboard", but I'd probably reach out to DLX rather than go back to the shop where they'd likely think I was an anal retentive kook.

Trouble is, when it comes to mechanical stuff, I am a bit of an anal retentive kook...

They're the blue graphic Conical full from the most recent run. 56mm 99a, more white and less potato compared to older F4's

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:29:34 PM by Samsquantch »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5133 on: June 07, 2023, 11:36:14 AM »

On the left are a set of 58mm F4 OG Classics that I bought 2 years ago. On the right are a brand new set of 56mm F4 Conicals (the 35th North Orca collab wheels)

As others have said, the new ones are more white than the old ones. I rode the conicals for the first time this morning. I just retired another set of 58mm OG Classics that I had ridden down to 55mm yesterday.

The new ones feel just slightly harder than the old ones while also being just slightly more grippy. When rubbing the conicals together, there’s more friction than when I rub the new OGs against each other.

The bearings went in the conicals a lot easier than they did with the OGs. They also sat deeper in the wheel, allowing me to tighten down my nuts more than I could with the OGs. My axle nuts were barely hanging on before. While I didn’t ride very long today, my bearings did not back out of the wheels at all. I usually have to push them back in every few runs.

As for the shape, the conicals feel pretty close to the OGs. I usually have wheel madness, but it took no time to adjust to them. I was a die hard 58mm OG Classics rider, but I’m just as happy on the 56mm conicals. Good to know I have another wheel for when my OG stockpile runs out

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
« Reply #5134 on: June 07, 2023, 12:19:22 PM »
Older wheels will tend to brown or yellow. That's the natural urethan color coming through.

bombsaway86

« Reply #5135 on: June 07, 2023, 01:51:23 PM »
Older wheels will tend to brown or yellow. That's the natural urethan color coming through.

Agreed, but even when they were new the OGs were more brown than the new conicals. I’ve also had the OGs stored in a box in a closet, so color change should be minimal. Take a look at pictures of F4s online and they also look more brown than my conicals

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5136 on: June 07, 2023, 09:21:46 PM »
I've had all shades of natural spit. Including white AF.

I think they sometimes just run white wheels.

I fucking wish I copped some of those Kader 59s.

I'm saving up for band stuff tho rm
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5137 on: June 07, 2023, 10:40:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed, but even when they were new the OGs were more brown than the new conicals. I’ve also had the OGs stored in a box in a closet, so color change should be minimal. Take a look at pictures of F4s online and they also look more brown than my conicals

yeah, NOS F4's compared to current stock is pretty striking. i've a bunch of both, i don't care for the crest white strips F4's.

VIA LA PAPA!!!!!!!!!!!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5138 on: June 08, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »
Well. This is interesting, on a few different levels.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

Also, it's only by 1/10th of a mm, but they are now listing different size/tech specs on some of these than before. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 11:37:09 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #5139 on: June 09, 2023, 12:05:39 AM »
Really digging 101 F4s at the moment. Especially with wheels under 54mm. The key is  a wider profile. Conical Full 101 has been money for me at the local curb spot. Asphalt but pretty smooth. I know the trend is toward slightly softer wheels but I think the 101s are a little under rated. Also if you dabble with Lil Smokies, I'd get the 101s. That's all.

this is my experience as well, 52 (fave size) 101 conical fulls. feel good enough, and are fast.

just got some 52 99 lock ins. i’m like the least locked in person out. guess i need all the help
i can get

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5140 on: June 09, 2023, 05:11:45 AM »

Also, it's only by 1/10th of a mm, but they are now listing different size/tech specs on some of these than before.

Those charts were due to be updated for a while now. I would be happy if they stick with this lineup! 54-56 full shapes in 97a and I'm good. I still hope they get a dragon/xformula competitor but they honestly probably don't have to.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5141 on: June 09, 2023, 07:31:50 AM »
I think for me I decided for Classics I like 99a. 101a might be too wild on those
for Conical Fulls though I could do 101a for a curb setup. When they are wide like that you have a bit more control and you could slide for days. There are spots i wouldnt want to take those though but I have done it with STF 103a

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5142 on: June 09, 2023, 07:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those charts were due to be updated for a while now. I would be happy if they stick with this lineup! 54-56 full shapes in 97a and I'm good. I still hope they get a dragon/xformula competitor but they honestly probably don't have to.

That might not be happening. Looks like Spitfire do have a new wheel coming in Fall but its not a Dragon slayer... Looks more like a full on big cruiser wheel.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 304
« Reply #5143 on: June 09, 2023, 09:16:41 AM »
I know some people were looking for the Kader 59s. Saw that Tactics just got some in..

https://www.tactics.com/spitfire/kader-pro-formula-four-radial-full-skateboard-wheels/puffs-99d

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5144 on: June 09, 2023, 09:18:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That might not be happening. Looks like Spitfire do have a new wheel coming in Fall but its not a Dragon slayer... Looks more like a full on big cruiser wheel.

Ah bummer, they want to replace the 80hd?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5145 on: June 09, 2023, 09:28:44 AM »
I think it's an addition to the 80HD. Looks more like a traditional cruiser, Big and Soft. Super wide shape.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #5146 on: June 09, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »
Are worn in classics essentially the same shape as a regular radial? Ex: 54mm classic worn down to 52mm vs brand new 52mm radials.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5147 on: June 09, 2023, 10:06:49 AM »
Are worn in classics essentially the same shape as a regular radial? Ex: 54mm classic worn down to 52mm vs brand new 52mm radials.

52 radial will be slightly thinner overall but basically the same yeah.  It's why radials are my favorite wheel, it's basically a pre worn in classic

For comparison natural is a slightly worn 53 mm radial and orange is more worn 53 mm classic (probably like 50/51 now). Radial is wider because both were 53 mm to start.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:13:34 AM by Musicaldeath107 »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5148 on: June 09, 2023, 03:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

52 radial will be slightly thinner overall but basically the same yeah.  It's why radials are my favorite wheel, it's basically a pre worn in classic

For comparison natural is a slightly worn 53 mm radial and orange is more worn 53 mm classic (probably like 50/51 now). Radial is wider because both were 53 mm to start.

Exactly what I needed to see thanks!!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5149 on: June 09, 2023, 04:52:07 PM »

I have been busy so hadn't had time to go over it and just had a quick look.

Interesting they don't put Classic Full on the main chart, but as they are not current wheels, just like Radial Slim or others, I can see they are not going to be listed there.

At least that range keeps (almost) everyone happy for now anyway.

The 60mm Classics used to be 39 mm wide, but now show 37, with the 59s at 38 mm wide.  Curious if that is correct, but some people don't want big wide wheels.

* Is it just me or the OG Classics just got even skinnier, more like Radial Slim skinny?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5150 on: June 09, 2023, 04:59:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting they don't put Classic Full on the main chart, but as they are not current wheels, just like Radial Slim or others, I can see they are not going to be listed there.

This giant wheel / tiny wheelbase trends needs to end. They have several tank-sized wheels now. IMHO, profile wise, there is little difference between OG Classics, Tablets, and Conicals, and not enough of difference to justify three versions of the "same" wheel. They really, really, really should add Radial Slims or Classic Fulls (esp considering the "full" trend) to their regular line-up....but I am just yelling at clouds here.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #5151 on: June 09, 2023, 06:02:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This giant wheel / tiny wheelbase trends needs to end. They have several tank-sized wheels now. IMHO, profile wise, there is little difference between OG Classics, Tablets, and Conicals, and not enough of difference to justify three versions of the "same" wheel. They really, really, really should add Radial Slims or Classic Fulls (esp considering the "full" trend) to their regular line-up....but I am just yelling at clouds here.

kind of with you on this, but i also don't ride big hard wheels (only big soft & hard small) so maybe there IS a difference, but i don't see it when looking at the shapes on the page. the most interesting of the newer big wheels is the giant lock-ins, for some reason they make more sense to me bigger than smaller

bombsaway86

« Reply #5152 on: June 09, 2023, 07:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m with you dude. I tried a friends board with radial fulls and they were so heavy and wide that they made everything harder. Big wide wheels died in the early 90s for a reason.

As someone who almost exclusively skates big transition and rides big wheels, my opinion is that all these full shapes are too big. I couldn’t imagine trying to skate street with them. OG Classics are as big and wide as you need, after that theres diminishing returns on going wider. It would be nice if they brought back OG Classics instead of pumping out all these full shapes. I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that they bring back the Lance Mountain conical 58s.

Anyways, I’m also just yelling at clouds here

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5153 on: June 09, 2023, 08:43:19 PM »

A Lock-In...full...

RIP Radial slims, you will be missed...

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5154 on: June 09, 2023, 09:05:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A Lock-In...full...

RIP Radial slims, you will be missed...

My last set of 52s are down to 50s and now I really regret not buying the 54s when they were on sale everywhere.. even if they were 101a.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5155 on: June 10, 2023, 12:37:54 AM »
I mean, there is some logic to the full trend. If you're landing big shit at speed, you're going to want something with some real traction (e.g. riding surface) when you land (esp. if it's crusty). If your riding big transition, you are going to want some traction. Totally get/understand all of that. What seems odd is the "lop-sided-ness" of the Full trend, at the expense of middle and small(er) sized options. My ideal Spitfire line-up (97a, 99a, 101a in each):

Classic
Classic Full

Radial (slims)
Radial Fulls [e.g. the current Radial, not the current "Radial Full"(a bewildering wheel which should be sent back to 1989)]

Conical
Conical Full

80HDs
[and maybe something like a Tablet or OG Classic for those who like a really squared-off profile].
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:48:50 AM by Sedition »

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #5156 on: June 10, 2023, 08:22:52 AM »
As someone who prefers fat wide wheels, it doesn't get any better than radial fulls. No diminished performance due to both sides being rounded edges. I love my dogtowns for their softer durometer but that 80s type shape with the outside being a sharp straight cut makes my fs slappies harder to get into. 92a-95a in a radial full would be the holy grail wheel for me.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5157 on: June 10, 2023, 09:01:54 AM »
As someone who prefers fat wide wheels, it doesn't get any better than radial fulls. No diminished performance due to both sides being rounded edges. I love my dogtowns for their softer durometer but that 80s type shape with the outside being a sharp straight cut makes my fs slappies harder to get into. 92a-95a in a radial full would be the holy grail wheel for me.
What kind of skating are you doing mainly?
And also anyone else riding super fat wheels. What are you doing with these? I totally get big wheels in the sense of large diameter, but why the giant width? Rip to all the truck space covered by fullies

sionarancsle

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5158 on: June 10, 2023, 09:39:17 AM »
Bones bearings are falling out of my formula fours. Anyone had this experience? Like the inner rins is not tight anymore and so the bearings just fall out. Did i do something wrong? They are around 1 years old.

(this is Casey Foley doing his thing in Adelaide)

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #5159 on: June 10, 2023, 09:54:28 AM »
Bones bearings are falling out of my formula fours. Anyone had this experience? Like the inner rins is not tight anymore and so the bearings just fall out. Did i do something wrong? They are around 1 years old.

i think this is the most comprehensive thread for what you have going on, here - https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125264.0

otherwise there's been a few posts in other threads as well but might be harder to track down each convo