Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689359 times)

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2910 on: October 20, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
I got some new Formula Four classics this week and the color of them look different than the normal almost dark tan color they usually are. These are closer to an off-white, eggshell color.
That's interesting. I bought some as well. Conicals, 99a. Raised lettering, pale nimbus white.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2911 on: October 20, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
Does anyone have a set of radial slims and classics? Want to compare shapes front the side profile to see how much the side rounds out on radial slims which can be hard to see from the stock Google images.
I actually have a set of classics on deck and and pair of radial slims but I have skated them for a few months so I don’t know if that’s the best but if you want I’ll take a picture of both on Thursday when I skate

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2912 on: October 20, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »
Does anyone have a set of radial slims and classics? Want to compare shapes front the side profile to see how much the side rounds out on radial slims which can be hard to see from the stock Google images.

When I look at this on the desktop computer screen with the bigger pics and specs of the wheels including classic and radial slim, you get a good indication, but it might not look so good on a small phone screen.

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2019/07/30/spitfire-wheel-shapes-explained/

Specifically these two pics:

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2019-07-30-at-10.46.45-am.png

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2019-07-30-at-10.47.37-am.png

This is a trimmed down and blown up side shot, which might also show well enough.

Radial size 54mm x 31 wide x 19.5 riding surface / 52mm x 30 wide x 18.5 riding surface

Classic size 54mm x 33.5 wide x 16.5 riding surface / 52mm x 32 wide x 15.5 riding surface

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:54:35 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2913 on: October 20, 2020, 09:14:53 PM »

Without getting down to deciphering CAD pics (not a dis, appreciate the effort), the classics are like like golf balls compared to radial slims...let alone tablets (just a straight cut radial slim)...cannot see why the shape is useful or preferred really, other than being classically marketable as they have superior shapes/choices for different types of skating (arguably just more marketing.."Lock-Ins" "Radials" "Classic-Full/Slim"); they are called classics for a reason.

Both 52mm.

Personally, I'd like to see the classic slim make a come-back in 101.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:29:00 PM by Xen »

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2914 on: October 20, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »

Soon, come, please.

I was hoping for the OG classic shape in F4 97a. Anyone know if that’s still in the cards?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2915 on: October 20, 2020, 09:19:50 PM »
Expand Quote

Soon, come, please.
[close]

I was hoping for the OG classic shape in F4 97a. Anyone know if that’s still in the cards?

I hope so, better shape IMO.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2916 on: October 20, 2020, 10:17:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

These are some 54mm Radial Slims I started skating roughly a week ago.

[close]

Thanks for the pic, are the sides rounder, kind of like a bubble effect around the side of the wheel?
[close]

They definitely have a nice round side profile. They’re not straight cut at all, but still not as rounded as classics so you get more riding surface. I like everything about the shape other than the bearing seats not being very deep in the wheels which leaves the axle nuts and bearings more exposed.

Expand Quote
[close]

Without getting down to deciphering CAD pics (not a dis, appreciate the effort), the classics are like like golf balls compared to radial slims...let alone tablets (just a straight cut radial slim)...cannot see why the shape is useful or preferred really, other than being classically marketable as they have superior shapes/choices for different types of skating (arguably just more marketing.."Lock-Ins" "Radials" "Classic-Full/Slim"); they are called classics for a reason.

Both 52mm.

Expand Quote
[close]

When I look at this on the desktop computer screen with the bigger pics and specs of the wheels including classic and radial slim, you get a good indication, but it might not look so good on a small phone screen.

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2019/07/30/spitfire-wheel-shapes-explained/

Specifically these two pics:

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2019-07-30-at-10.46.45-am.png

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2019-07-30-at-10.47.37-am.png

This is a trimmed down and blown up side shot, which might also show well enough.

Radial size 54mm x 31 wide x 19.5 riding surface / 52mm x 30 wide x 18.5 riding surface

Classic size 54mm x 33.5 wide x 16.5 riding surface / 52mm x 32 wide x 15.5 riding surface

Expand Quote
[close]
I actually have a set of classics on deck and and pair of radial slims but I have skated them for a few months so I don’t know if that’s the best but if you want I’ll take a picture of both on Thursday when I skate

Appreciate the pics everyone, I have a set of Classics and Tablets (currently setup). China has started to make counterfeit Radial Slims (Speed Kills 54mm 101a, Yellow / Green graphic) and they are improving the color of their formula to match the yellow of Spitfires. Their first batch of Radial Slims (F4 101a, Venomous) were conical shaped and a dead giveaway for their in-authenticity.

I was planning on buying a set of counterfeit Radial Slims to test them out. Didn't have a set on hand to compare shapes of the genuine versus counterfeits hence the request for pics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2917 on: October 21, 2020, 07:10:38 AM »

Both 52mm.

Classics = yes totally!

Funny thing is I like the feel of my worn down F4 classics more than any other current shape, so they would be almost a cross between classic full (bighead shape) and radials, but that is just me.

I also get older almost dead wheels from people I know who ride bigger sizes, then use an angle grinder on the sides to get them back to a nice shape.  This might sound weird or crazy but it works really well.

You could do that to your classics to slim them down a bit too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CfVwoFjEp/

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2918 on: October 21, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
Expand Quote

Both 52mm.

[close]

Classics = yes totally!

Funny thing is I like the feel of my worn down F4 classics more than any other current shape, so they would be almost a cross between classic full (bighead shape) and radials, but that is just me.

I also get older almost dead wheels from people I know who ride bigger sizes, then use an angle grinder on the sides to get them back to a nice shape.  This might sound weird or crazy but it works really well.

You could do that to your classics to slim them down a bit too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CfVwoFjEp/

Damn, putting in some work!

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #2919 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »
Been skating 50mm f4 99a classics . Pretty perfect lil wheel

seems they not so common around here wished
I grabbed two sets when I had the chance

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2920 on: October 21, 2020, 11:42:06 PM »

Stock is slowly coming back up, but supply will struggle with the demand for a while longer I think, no matter where you are, but we don't have much in Australia right now.

Most good shops just had restock of conical full in 54 and 56, classic 52, some lock ins and some others, but not much.  The classic 52 would be the closest thing right now though.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2921 on: October 23, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »
FYI, if your local is lacking F4 like mine, Plus Skateshop has most every size/shape in stock.
And you're still supporting a real skateshop if you buy from them.
I just got 5 sets (53 & 55 Lockins, 54 & 56 x 2 Conical Full; all 99d)
https://plusskateshop.com/collections/wheels?page=5&sort_by=title-ascending

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2922 on: October 24, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
FYI, if your local is lacking F4 like mine, Plus Skateshop has most every size/shape in stock.
And you're still supporting a real skateshop if you buy from them.
I just got 5 sets (53 & 55 Lockins, 54 & 56 x 2 Conical Full; all 99d)
https://plusskateshop.com/collections/wheels?page=5&sort_by=title-ascending

Yeah! So good!  And I would imagine there would be quite a few local shops who would not put their inventory online who would still have good stocks of wheels and other hardgoods too.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2923 on: October 24, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »

The best wheel. I have a set on ice. 50/51mm 99 F4 classics and tablets are my favorite and are all I ever want to skate.

That being said, currently skating some 50mm big heads and I'm truly impressed with how they handle crust. Also have some 49mm boardycakes princess cuts (like a tablet) on ice that I will try at some point.

clown_conspirator

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2924 on: October 25, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
I'm in desperate need of new wheels but the shortage, as we all know, is making that hard. 6 months ago I couldn't track down F4s and ended up buying Bones STF despite riding Spits since I was a child. I fucking hate them and am scavenging for new wheels. I ride mostly transition at the park but do some street skating/ledges too. I want the 58mm conical full but those are nowhere to be seen. I tracked down some 60mm F4 classics, I was wondering if anyone has experience with these specifically for tranny. I'm worried that the roundness would boot me off the coping during 5-0 stand ups.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2925 on: October 25, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
I'm in desperate need of new wheels but the shortage, as we all know, is making that hard. 6 months ago I couldn't track down F4s and ended up buying Bones STF despite riding Spits since I was a child. I fucking hate them and am scavenging for new wheels. I ride mostly transition at the park but do some street skating/ledges too. I want the 58mm conical full but those are nowhere to be seen. I tracked down some 60mm F4 classics, I was wondering if anyone has experience with these specifically for tranny. I'm worried that the roundness would boot me off the coping during 5-0 stand ups.

Are you in the USA or where?  That situation sounds exactly like here in Australia up until a week ago, when a small drop arrived, but all that were left were 50mm and 60mm classics, for the most part.  Now shops have 56mm conical full in stock and on ebay.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:19:16 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2926 on: October 25, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »

There are often two broad wheel types that people love or hate depending on which ones you are used to, the conical / square edge and the classic / rounded edge.  Although I am way more a fan of the classic, I know a lot of people who have been used to the conical say they fall off the coping on the classic round edge.  They are a bit different to skate, but once the classics wear down a bit with a wider surface they are really good and don't stick as much as conical wheels do, so they allow for longer grinds.

Right now I don't think there is much in the Formula Four over 56 coming out, but there are the 56 conical full so you could see if you can track down a set of those.

I would think that the 60mm classics would actually be really good and fun as they are a lot wider too, but that is just me.

I recall seeing this post, but right now I cannot get on their shop page, but Uprise skate shop show up to 58mm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF5oc1aplS5/

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #2927 on: October 25, 2020, 04:37:16 PM »
You’ll be fine.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #2928 on: October 25, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The best wheel. I have a set on ice. 50/51mm 99 F4 classics and tablets are my favorite and are all I ever want to skate.

That being said, currently skating some 50mm big heads and I'm truly impressed with how they handle crust. Also have some 49mm boardycakes princess cuts (like a tablet) on ice that I will try at some point.
I'm definitely going to pick up a set of big heads when they're is stock again

I ordered two sets of 50mm f4 classics from Parade world US on Thursday
According to DHL they coming today (to Australia) that is fast
Shit I order in my own city doesn't get here that quick

Pretty happy with that. now if the rain would stop

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2929 on: October 28, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
DROP 4
https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

97a classic shape
54, 56mm

F4 OG Classics

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2930 on: October 28, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
I def wanna try those new OG Classics in FF4!!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2931 on: October 28, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »

Same, but for some reason I was thinking they'd drop the 97a in the OG classic...oh well.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2932 on: October 28, 2020, 07:07:41 PM »
haha i always contemplate getting some different shape or duro.. again only to go back to the classic f4 99a.. works soo perfect for me. 
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2933 on: October 28, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, but for some reason I was thinking they'd drop the 97a in the OG classic...oh well.
that would’ve been sweet. Like the nonf4 OG classics just started riding a set.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #2934 on: October 28, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »
DROP 4

97a classic shape
54, 56mm

F4 OG Classics

Say the truth with me guys.

I do not need new wheels. The wheels I have right now are perfectly fine.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2935 on: October 28, 2020, 11:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote
DROP 4

97a classic shape
54, 56mm

F4 OG Classics

[close]

I do not need new wheels. The wheels I have right now are perfectly fine dogshit and holding me back from achieving my full potential.

Fixed some typos for ya.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2936 on: October 29, 2020, 12:36:52 AM »

Been skating these for like six months. No flatspotting, rides amazing, yellows a little but not too bad

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2937 on: October 29, 2020, 03:33:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
DROP 4

97a classic shape
54, 56mm

F4 OG Classics

[close]

I do not need new wheels. The wheels I have right now are perfectly fine dogshit and holding me back from achieving my full potential.
[close]

Fixed some typos for ya.

I have not laughed like that in a while!

I think we could all have more wheels and still be perfectly happy.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2938 on: October 29, 2020, 03:37:01 AM »
whats the difference between the og classics and say a conical/conical full? seems the same by the description
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2939 on: October 29, 2020, 03:37:36 AM »
So I have come up with my own wheels, given I have too many classics, which are now nicely worn down...

May I present the Classic ASS, just a simple lover of the wider round shape, straight from years of skating to a new era of small wheels near you.