Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689346 times)

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3060 on: November 20, 2020, 04:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm riding some 53mm "Mike Anderson Edition" non-f4 Spitfires and they seem fairly wide, like maybe a conical or conical full. My next set of wheels in waiting are F4 53mm classics, which are much more narrow. Does anyone think the narrow classic shape sucks on rough ground or is it not a huge deal?
[close]

The original formula SFW shape is even wider than the Formula Four conical full, so you are going from original super wide to F4 very thin, which is going to feel different, but maybe not bad, depending on what you ride and how you skate.

Love my SFWs. Just got conical Fulls and I think I like the sfw better. I think the f4 og classic will be the best of both worlds.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3061 on: November 20, 2020, 02:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm riding some 53mm "Mike Anderson Edition" non-f4 Spitfires and they seem fairly wide, like maybe a conical or conical full. My next set of wheels in waiting are F4 53mm classics, which are much more narrow. Does anyone think the narrow classic shape sucks on rough ground or is it not a huge deal?
[close]

The original formula SFW shape is even wider than the Formula Four conical full, so you are going from original super wide to F4 very thin, which is going to feel different, but maybe not bad, depending on what you ride and how you skate.
[close]

Love my SFWs. Just got conical Fulls and I think I like the sfw better. I think the f4 og classic will be the best of both worlds.

It is interesting the OG Classics although squared in shape are quite thinner overall, which is not a bad thing but a bit funny when lined up beside the others.  I know it is no comparison, but OG is about as wide as the Lock Ins (left), so when you look at the SFW (middle) compared to Conical Full (right) they are the thinnest wheels in that group.

I think the pic is too small and I forgot those lock ins were bigger in diameter so wider as well, but dimensions for 54mm:

OG 32.5
CF  34
SFW  34.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4zB1BlGqM/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3062 on: November 21, 2020, 03:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It is interesting the OG Classics although squared in shape are quite thinner overall, which is not a bad thing but a bit funny when lined up beside the others.  I know it is no comparison, but OG is about as wide as the Lock Ins (left), so when you look at the SFW (middle) compared to Conical Full (right) they are the thinnest wheels in that group.

I think the pic is too small and I forgot those lock ins were bigger in diameter so wider as well, but dimensions for 54mm:

OG 32.5
CF  34
SFW  34.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4zB1BlGqM/

Crazy... They look so wide in pictures but I've never seen them in hand. Will probably just go back to 52-53 SFWs. For this Baltimore crust they have been perfect.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3063 on: November 21, 2020, 07:43:58 AM »
For anyone looking we have some 97s in 54/56 classic shape and a decent selection of other formula fours. Ship pretty quickly tues-Saturday and try to make single item shipping as inexpensive as possible(under 1 pound goes first class so $3-4)
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire.htm

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3064 on: November 21, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
So I’ve finally gotten around to skating the 97s on transition, and they are exactly what I was looking for. They grip walls really well and don’t unexpectedly slide out on you like how the 99s and 101s sometimes do. They also retain speed pretty good, although just a tad bit less than the 99s and 101s, again it’s not a dramatic difference in speed, but a noticeable difference in grip. My local parks surface is pretty well maintained and no graffiti , but I expect these to ride especially well in parks where there’s a lot of paint and weathered surfaces.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3065 on: November 22, 2020, 01:51:16 AM »
Jeezuz, just shelled out $46 w/tax for F4 classics, while my past F4 lock-ins were about $33...

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #3066 on: November 22, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
what are the pros and cons of the og classic shape?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3067 on: November 22, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
what are the pros and cons of the og classic shape?
If you want a wide contact patch on a wheel below 54mm, the OG classic is spitfires widest offering (after 54, conical full is wider).  (They're also good options if you want something like the conical full in the OG formula).

cons I guess would be they're wide and heavy

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3068 on: November 22, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »
OG Classic shape is not that wide and not that heavy really.

The very squared off edge with a medium width and wide surface area is good if you want that sort of thing, with the cutaway side to reduce weight as well.

If you cut the sides off a conical full that would be almost the exact outside riding shape, or you could say a squared edge design that is almost a fat cut away tablet wheel or a cut away double sided lock in, if that makes any sense.

They also come in original formula and Formula Four, so you have the two options there.

If you compare 54mm wheels in all options, the OG Classics:

* have the widest surface contact 22mm, bar Conical Full same at 22 and Lock ins at 22.5mm

* are 32.5 wide, so really only the Radial Slim and Tablet being thinner, and Conical just scraping in at 32.2 wide, with all others being wider by a mm or two.

All round they could be the best overall size and shape for people who want that sort of thing, but you do have lots of options now, especially once production ramps up and they do make more sizes in everything again.

Currently the 55mm version of the F4 and the 52mm version of the classic urethane are widely available that I have seen, with some places hinting at the F4 52mm is coming soon.

I reposted the Spitfire card that someone else had put up a few pages back, that has all the current specs, including Classic, OG Classic, Lock Ins, Tablets, Radial Slim, Radial, Conical and Conical Full.

When opened it does show all the specs clearly for me, but might be too small to see on other screens.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 06:00:07 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3069 on: November 24, 2020, 08:33:47 AM »
Why is there a can of WD-40?! Keep that away from your bearings.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3070 on: November 24, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »

As much as Bones bearings info sheets specifically say "Do not use WD40" it is an integral part of bearing cleaning and maintenance.

It is how I have kept my own Bones swiss and every other brand of bearings in between running very nicely for a long long time, including completely seized up bearings that people have been ready to throw out, but the main thing to remember is it is not the only thing to use, eg use WD40 to get the mess out of the bearings, then when clean and dry use bearing lube / machine oil to keep them rolling.

It also helps with oh so many other things in the shop too.  You might be surprised.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #3071 on: November 24, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As much as Bones bearings info sheets specifically say "Do not use WD40" it is an integral part of bearing cleaning and maintenance.

It is how I have kept my own Bones swiss and every other brand of bearings in between running very nicely for a long long time, including completely seized up bearings that people have been ready to throw out, but the main thing to remember is it is not the only thing to use, eg use WD40 to get the mess out of the bearings, then when clean and dry use bearing lube / machine oil to keep them rolling.

It also helps with oh so many other things in the shop too.  You might be surprised.

Exactly. The mistake people make is that they use WD-40 as a lubricant. It's a degreaser, so you use it to remove the dirty oil, then get your bearings completely spotless before adding fresh bearing oil.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3072 on: November 24, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »
But it does erode and wear away the plastic crowns that most bearing manufacturers use, that’s why they recommend a citrus cleaner instead.
Not immediately but it does do damage. That’s why no bearing brands suggest using it.

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3073 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
But it does erode and wear away the plastic crowns that most bearing manufacturers use, that’s why they recommend a citrus cleaner instead.
Not immediately but it does do damage. That’s why no bearing brands suggest using it.

any brand reccomendations?

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3074 on: November 24, 2020, 10:54:06 PM »
according to bones' website(https://bonesbearings.com/support/cleaner/) citrus cleaners can leave residue so you need to be careful, what I've always heard is acetone or >90% alcohol.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3075 on: November 25, 2020, 11:37:13 AM »
Walked into the shop today 100% convinced I was going to buy some 55mm F4 OG classics and ended up leaving with 54mm F4 97s. I prefer a square-edged wheel but the curiosity was just too much for me to handle.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3076 on: November 25, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »
still holding out strong for the 52mm F4 OG classics in 101a, whenever that is.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3077 on: November 25, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
according to bones' website(https://bonesbearings.com/support/cleaner/) citrus cleaners can leave residue so you need to be careful, what I've always heard is acetone or >90% alcohol.

any brand reccomendations?

I guess it comes down to how user friendly you need to make it, as alcohol, solvents and chemicals don't really mix in some situations, which is why WD40 is a very easy and simple fix in a small closed in location, or when kids are around.

Bones swiss and other bearings I have are still going 10+ years and no issues with crowns wearing, so make of it what you will, but it is not like they get sprayed much, it is more just a very simple and quick solution to rusted / seized or otherwise not clean free spinning bearings.

Given this is the Spitfire Formula Four thread, not a bearing thread, anything more on this should be here, I would think:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99391.0

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #3078 on: November 26, 2020, 11:19:47 PM »
Does anybody know of anywhere, or anyone, who has F4 99a Conical Fulls in 58mm? If not, do any of you shop/industry dudes have any insight as to when they're supposed to be stocked again? For what it's worth, I would also go 60mm if anyone's got those, in the previously stated specs. Thanks in advance.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3079 on: November 27, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »
Does anybody know of anywhere, or anyone, who has F4 99a Conical Fulls in 58mm? If not, do any of you shop/industry dudes have any insight as to when they're supposed to be stocked again? For what it's worth, I would also go 60mm if anyone's got those, in the previously stated specs. Thanks in advance.

A lot of people have been asking about them, but I think the best way is to email DLX directly and see, or from their website, that top right HIT US UP box is where it is at.

https://www.dlxsf.com/

There have been conical full 56mm in small quantities which are the closest / next best thing, but I know it is not quite what you are after.

I would be curious to hear the answer too.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3080 on: November 28, 2020, 05:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A lot of people have been asking about them, but I think the best way is to email DLX directly and see, or from their website, that top right HIT US UP box is where it is at.

There have been conical full 56mm in small quantities which are the closest / next best thing, but I know it is not quite what you are after.

58mm available as of 8:27am EST on 11/28, I'll DM it to you too just in case you have notifications on

https://geometricskateshop.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-f4-conical-full-52mm-53mm-56mm-99a?variant=32847210971190

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3081 on: November 28, 2020, 07:46:14 AM »
Anyone know of anywhere in Europe that has 97as?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

peterpenis

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3082 on: November 28, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »

My local had some, so u might get lucky at your local. If not skatedeluxe has them in 56 and 54 mm:
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/spitfire-formula-four-classics-wheels-white-blue-56mm-97a-4-pack_p140382

The prices for f4 in europe are fucked though. 60 bucks for wheels... Unfortunately I don't know if i can ever go back from f4

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #3083 on: November 28, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
58mm available as of 8:27am EST on 11/28, I'll DM it to you too just in case you have notifications on

https://geometricskateshop.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-f4-conical-full-52mm-53mm-56mm-99a?variant=32847210971190

Hey man, thanks very much for making that effort for me –– I did buy them, and now it shows that they're sold out; let's hope that the shop as a whole and/or their online inventory was legitimate. Thanks again...it's little things like this that can actually make the idea of a "skate community" a tangible thing.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3084 on: November 28, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My local had some, so u might get lucky at your local. If not skatedeluxe has them in 56 and 54 mm:
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/spitfire-formula-four-classics-wheels-white-blue-56mm-97a-4-pack_p140382

The prices for f4 in europe are fucked though. 60 bucks for wheels... Unfortunately I don't know if i can ever go back from f4

Amazing thanks man
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3085 on: November 28, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Hey man, thanks very much for making that effort for me –– I did buy them, and now it shows that they're sold out; let's hope that the shop as a whole and/or their online inventory was legitimate. Thanks again...it's little things like this that can actually make the idea of a "skate community" a tangible thing.

My secret is parade world. If you find what you’re looking for add it to your cart. In the cart it tells you which shop is fulfilling the order. From my experiences the shops are legit and I’ve never had anything fall through. Hope it works out for you.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3086 on: November 28, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
Walked into the shop today 100% convinced I was going to buy some 55mm F4 OG classics and ended up leaving with 54mm F4 97s. I prefer a square-edged wheel but the curiosity was just too much for me to handle.

Yo let us know how they go bro

ballintoohard

« Reply #3087 on: November 29, 2020, 09:40:02 PM »
the OG Classic and Conical Full are so close what is the point of both?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3088 on: November 29, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
the OG Classic and Conical Full are so close what is the point of both?

It does seem a bit redundant to have so many options of wheels, some of which are very similar, but DLX have always been quick to listen and act on some things, so when the interest is more in the wider riding surface squared off wheel, they have brought back the one that worked from the get go, hence the name OG Classic, but having such a big following, they were not about to drop the Conical Full shape from the range either.

Conical Full shape is still wider and more angled on the edge than the OG Classic, which is thinner and very squared off.

That is about the quickest explanation for it.

The difference is much more noticeable when they are sitting side by side too.

I was surprised they are that thin when I got them in the shop and compared them to all the others, but people I know who did buy them liked them a lot.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3089 on: November 30, 2020, 03:20:19 PM »
Thinking about switching from conical fulls to something slimmer next set as I ride more park now. My wheels are at their widest point right now and grips way to much on concrete.

Cant find radial slims which seems like a good in between shape, only classics and fulls avalible.

How are the classics for park skating? And how are they riding on decent asphalt?