Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 708684 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3420 on: April 28, 2021, 05:15:33 PM »
has anyone ever actually seen regular conicals (not full) in 101a? i've had my eye out for months.

They are out there, and some shops have had them fairly recently, but I couldn't tell you where unfortunately - I follow a lot of shop accounts and have seen the packaging and wheel graphic with the green bighead.

From the current catalog, this is the product pic, so yes 99 and 101 in a few sizes, but I think more commonly the 52 and 54 are the sizes in 101 I have seen.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring-2021/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3421 on: April 28, 2021, 05:33:51 PM »

has anyone ever actually seen regular conicals (not full) in 101a? i've had my eye out for months.

I bought a pair of 54s at my local in August.  Haven't looked since.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3422 on: April 28, 2021, 06:51:21 PM »
Geometric has 52, 53, 54, and 56.
https://www.geometricskateshop.com/search?type=product&q=spitfire+conical+101d
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

sketchyrider

« Reply #3423 on: April 29, 2021, 06:17:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Geometric has 52, 53, 54, and 56.
https://www.geometricskateshop.com/search?type=product&q=spitfire+conical+101d

hell yeah, great find. looks like i gotta spend 150 bucks, would hate to pay for shipping.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #3424 on: May 02, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 587
« Reply #3425 on: May 02, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
Apologies if it’s been discussed before but thoughts on 52mm 99D tablets? Canadian ground. I know most would run bigger wheels but I’m a one setup guy right now and worry anything over a 53mm would give me a lot of wheel bite. I run my trucks medium-tight. Mostly skate flat and curbs. Cruise the park a bit but not that often.

Open to other suggestions as well.

What city? Or if you’re not comfortable with that, what region and are you in the city or not? I feel like if you’re downtown in any major city it might be fine, but if you’re rural, or in a place like Ottawa (outside of downtown) where the roads are constantly fucked, it’s gonna be really rough IMO.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3426 on: May 02, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Apologies if it’s been discussed before but thoughts on 52mm 99D tablets? Canadian ground. I know most would run bigger wheels but I’m a one setup guy right now and worry anything over a 53mm would give me a lot of wheel bite. I run my trucks medium-tight. Mostly skate flat and curbs. Cruise the park a bit but not that often.

[close]

What city? Or if you’re not comfortable with that, what region and are you in the city or not? I feel like if you’re downtown in any major city it might be fine, but if you’re rural, or in a place like Ottawa (outside of downtown) where the roads are constantly fucked, it’s gonna be really rough IMO.

Already purchased the 99a 52mms, picking them up this afternoon. I’m currently in Toronto, but moving to a smaller city inside the GTA (heading west) pretty soon, which gets more snow than toronto. How fucked am I? Hahah. I’m thinking the roads are gonna be bad. Since I’ve never lived there I do plan on biking around looking for spots, rather than skating around randomly at first. But I do love to just go out and push around so I might have to grab another set of something later this summer.

Realistically I should probably be on something 54mm or above and on the softer side. But I’m a one setup guy right now and getting back into skating so the smaller wheels should help me get some tricks back faster.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3427 on: May 02, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »
There is a school with fun, mellow curbs that is seconds from my house but the ground is hell. 56mm 97 classics unlocked the spot. These are great wheels.
Reading this made me happy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3428 on: May 02, 2021, 09:46:02 AM »
Just pulled the trigger on some 56mm 97a conical fulls. I'm going to put them on my cruiser set up. Im planning to start skating around my neighborhood a lot just cruising to get back in skating shape and I want something that's soft enough to cruise over rough ground, but that I still feel comfortable power sliding and such. Hope these fit the bill.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3429 on: May 03, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »

Lmao god dammit I literally JUST bought some 97a conical full 56mm, rode around on them once, and thought “shit this rocks but I bet I would like a 95 or 92 even better”  >:(

Still happy tho, they pretty much do exactly what it says on the box, so to speak. A tiny bit softer then 99s, still bark and slide plenty. A much more “real” wheel than the 92a ricta clouds I had previously used when trying to balance easy rolling with still being able to slide. F4 really is the GOAT formula, I wish spit would just crank them out in every possible shape, duro, and size.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #3430 on: May 03, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lmao god dammit I literally JUST bought some 97a conical full 56mm, rode around on them once, and thought “shit this rocks but I bet I would like a 95 or 92 even better”  >:(

Still happy tho, they pretty much do exactly what it says on the box, so to speak. A tiny bit softer then 99s, still bark and slide plenty. A much more “real” wheel than the 92a ricta clouds I had previously used when trying to balance easy rolling with still being able to slide. F4 really is the GOAT formula, I wish spit would just crank them out in every possible shape, duro, and size.

Agreed

From TnT post though it seems like these are gonna be classic though?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 587
« Reply #3431 on: May 03, 2021, 01:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Already purchased the 99a 52mms, picking them up this afternoon. I’m currently in Toronto, but moving to a smaller city inside the GTA (heading west) pretty soon, which gets more snow than toronto. How fucked am I? Hahah. I’m thinking the roads are gonna be bad. Since I’ve never lived there I do plan on biking around looking for spots, rather than skating around randomly at first. But I do love to just go out and push around so I might have to grab another set of something later this summer.

Realistically I should probably be on something 54mm or above and on the softer side. But I’m a one setup guy right now and getting back into skating so the smaller wheels should help me get some tricks back faster.

You might be in for a rough ride, but I think you’ll be ok. Getting places might involve a lot of pushing, though. I’m interested to hear how it goes.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #3432 on: May 03, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »

god damnit! just bought some 99a f4’s in 52mm. wish I would’ve seen these new 53mm in 97a.....
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3433 on: May 03, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
Doesn't mean they are going to be in production and they are not F4s just the 95a classic formula, SoftDs that they have done in the past.

Enjoy your F4 97as.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3434 on: May 03, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You might be in for a rough ride, but I think you’ll be ok. Getting places might involve a lot of pushing, though. I’m interested to hear how it goes.

I’ll report back in a couple weeks once I’m out there. But went for a skate last night with them and they felt pretty good, in all my years I’ve never had spitfire for some reason. I’m coming off some worn down random 50mm skate mental wheels though so anything will feel better than those.

The more and more I lurk this section though the more I want some 56mm 97a go anywhere type wheel and setup. If the rough roads rattle my brain enough I might just have to make that happen.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3435 on: May 03, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed

From TnT post though it seems like these are gonna be classic though?

These were are "once off" for TNT, as they do for some of their pro guys, and although it would be cool that they were back in production, I think they stopped making them the first time because they didn't sell well enough.

Yes the slightly softer formulas are awesome and I still have quite a few sets of 95 and 92 duros but they did have very regular issues as per the older Spitfires, including flatspots, deforming in shape and the softer ones tended to have more issues with the compound as well, some of mine not holding up like the other ones do, eg one wheel is all mushy and chunks out easily, but the other three do exactly what they are supposed to do.

Honestly though, the F4 97s are going to be way better for everything than the older Soft Ds even if they are not quite as soft, they will last a lot longer and perform better than softer wheels.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3436 on: May 05, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »
I’ve seen the 97a conicals popping up on Canadian Paradeworld for those still looking for a set.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3437 on: May 07, 2021, 12:28:30 PM »
I don’t know if I’m trippin or not, but do the 97A’s seem like they get harder over time? I’ve been on the same set since they released the 97s (like 9 months ago) and they don’t feel as soft compared to when they were brand new. They kinda feel like 99s now when I skate down my street.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #3438 on: May 07, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »
I don’t know if I’m trippin or not, but do the 97A’s seem like they get harder over time? I’ve been on the same set since they released the 97s (like 9 months ago) and they don’t feel as soft compared to when they were brand new. They kinda feel like 99s now when I skate down my street.

I actually noticed this with the non-F4 OG Classics. I had a set (53mm/99a) that I bought last year and have noticed that they feel more like 101a's now. Even when trying to pull the bearings out, they felt a lot more stiff and resistant than when I first set them up.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3439 on: May 07, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I actually noticed this with the non-F4 OG Classics. I had a set (53mm/99a) that I bought last year and have noticed that they feel more like 101a's now. Even when trying to pull the bearings out, they felt a lot more stiff and resistant than when I first set them up.

Urethane, or good urethane will harden over time, which is why I love older wheels, as they last longer and are much less likely to have issues the way brand new straight out of the packet wheels do sometimes.

It would be interesting to put on some new 99s and see if there was still a difference between those and the older 97s, or even any other older 99s if you still have them.

With regard to seating bearings, older wheels are a pain to get bearings in and out of, but a bit of lube or something rubbed round the inside of the wheel makes it a lot easier, or for getting bearings out, drip to the edge of the bearing and wheel join and pry at it a bit and it will usually come out a lot more easily.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #3440 on: May 08, 2021, 03:23:25 PM »
To Brims point, does anyone else hate new wheels? I got a feeling I’m in the minority on this one. I avoid switching for so long. I’ll ride wheels for about a year on average. Just something about em for me.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #3441 on: May 08, 2021, 07:53:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Urethane, or good urethane will harden over time, which is why I love older wheels, as they last longer and are much less likely to have issues the way brand new straight out of the packet wheels do sometimes.

It would be interesting to put on some new 99s and see if there was still a difference between those and the older 97s, or even any other older 99s if you still have them.

With regard to seating bearings, older wheels are a pain to get bearings in and out of, but a bit of lube or something rubbed round the inside of the wheel makes it a lot easier, or for getting bearings out, drip to the edge of the bearing and wheel join and pry at it a bit and it will usually come out a lot more easily.
So glad to hear this, I used to think I was insane for feeling like my wheels got harder over time

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3442 on: May 09, 2021, 03:12:25 AM »
To Brims point, does anyone else hate new wheels? I got a feeling I’m in the minority on this one. I avoid switching for so long. I’ll ride wheels for about a year on average. Just something about em for me.

I think it depends on the wheels. F4 54mm classics feel very nice after two sessions for me.
Radial Slims took a bit to get used to.

Top 5 new gear I hate:
- Shoes
- Bushings
- Shoes
- Grip
- Shoes
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3443 on: May 09, 2021, 03:37:13 AM »

Yeah I will ride my wheels for a long time, and even set up other people's old wheels (after I have machined them) and skate them just as happily more often than not.

I must admit though, new Formula Four wheels with new bearings are just so good - so fast and clean rolling - right away, maybe because they are not "treaded" and have a smooth riding surface right from new, as compared to most other wheels that you always have to wear in before really going to skate normally.

Definitely feeling the love for any wheel like that, but more so Spitfire Formula Fours every time, over Bones SPFs or Slimeballs (which I have and are the only other hard wheels that have a smooth riding surface from new).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3444 on: May 09, 2021, 10:54:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I will ride my wheels for a long time, and even set up other people's old wheels (after I have machined them) and skate them just as happily more often than not.

I must admit though, new Formula Four wheels with new bearings are just so good - so fast and clean rolling - right away, maybe because they are not "treaded" and have a smooth riding surface right from new, as compared to most other wheels that you always have to wear in before really going to skate normally.

Definitely feeling the love for any wheel like that, but more so Spitfire Formula Fours every time, over Bones SPFs or Slimeballs (which I have and are the only other hard wheels that have a smooth riding surface from new).

I just got my trucks and deck dimensions nailed, don't think I can deal with another element. I'll delay wheel changes as long as possible.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3445 on: May 09, 2021, 11:18:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wonder if harder duro wheels are more or less suspectible to get harder as they age. For example, would Bones 103A wheels get harder at the rate of Spit 97A's or would they generally remain the same  ::)

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #3446 on: May 10, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »
Just got my first set of F4 97a's yesterday, 56mm Conical Full. First impression, they are exactly what I was hoping for, a wheel that is soft enough to roll over rough ground but still hard enough to power slide going down hills etc. I was surprised at how well they handled crusty ground, I was skeptical thinking they'd be harder than I wanted only being slightly softer than 99a, but I got to say I'm impressed, happy with the purchase.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3447 on: May 10, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wonder if harder duro wheels are more or less suspectible to get harder as they age. For example, would Bones 103A wheels get harder at the rate of Spit 97A's or would they generally remain the same  ::)

Bones definitely get harder with age too

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3448 on: May 10, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »

I just mashed around the neighborhood. Too dark to photograph afterwards but here's the before earlier.

It's so nice to be on a 99a 58mm wheel with a large contact patch again. I can flip it just fine but I've yet to try crooks sure I'll be all right. I put my swiss bearings in that are broke in so nicely. Three of my reds had locked up in the V2s. Massive difference

Positive
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3449 on: May 10, 2021, 09:55:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bones definitely get harder with age too

By far the worst are Ricta Chrome Cores. The hard plastic core hardened around the bearing so tight (coupled with rust), I had to drip a couple of drops of oil along the edges before the bearing would start to wiggle.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m