Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689688 times)

formz (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

left knee cap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 118
  • $$$$
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3690 on: November 15, 2021, 07:15:17 PM »
spitfire really has too many damn shapes

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3691 on: November 15, 2021, 07:32:59 PM »
agreed.
pals, what would you cut? whats the perfect amount of options? theres 10 f4 models afaik:
classics
classic full
og classics
radials
radial slim
radial full*
conical
conical full
tablets
lock ins
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3692 on: November 15, 2021, 07:46:37 PM »
Radial, radial slim, ok. Radial full?

Can we just get Radial Slims in 99a back in rotation please!

Expand Quote
[close]
agreed.
pals, what would you cut? whats the perfect amount of options? theres 10 f4 models afaik:
classics
classic full
og classics
radials
radial slim
radial full*
conical
conical full
tablets
lock ins
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3693 on: November 15, 2021, 08:18:12 PM »
Options are great. Can't believe SLAP gear nerds have issues with all the shapes....

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3694 on: November 16, 2021, 04:15:53 AM »
What would a radial full bring to the picture ?

I feel like the Radial Full are the bigger sized Radial wheels, maybe just the normal ones, only in bigger overall sizes, as the old 58mm Kader wheels were pretty big, wide and all round awesome for people who wanted such a big fat wheel.  The funny thing was most of those guys were more old bowl / transition dudes who didn't have a clue or any interest in Kader.  Every single set I was able to get sold so fast I didn't even keep any for myself, although I did get one set back to skate for a bit, someone else was so stoked on the size and shape, I let them have it.

Check the pics here:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/kader-radials-99d-formula-four-skateboard-wheels-58mm-p40162

I don't have any here with me, but I believe the dimensions of those old Radials were 58 x 37 or 38 wide.

By comparison, classic 60 x 39 wide, classic full are 58 x 38 wide or conical full 58 x 37 so think something around those same sizes and widths.

The Radial Full wheel is out in 57, 58, 59 and 60mm, if what I have heard is correct, so it is only in the big sizes and would pretty much cover all those of interest in the bigger and wider wheel varieties, without having a full square edge like the conical full shapes.

Overall I can see lots of people who want big wide wheels jumping on them, maybe more so in the bowl / transition skating crowd, but also from some of the more curious kids who want a big wheel from an amazing street skater.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3695 on: November 16, 2021, 05:19:34 AM »
I just did a new search for Spitfire Kader (last time turned up only old listings) and a couple of places already have the new wheels up (some sold out) but there is a semi side pic from the old Z.

https://www.zumiez.com/es_us/57mm-99du-f4-kader-radial-full.html

Sorry for the huge images.

It looks about the same as the other ones, but could be different.

No one seems to have dimensions yet.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3696 on: November 16, 2021, 05:45:44 AM »
Are Lockins impossible to get nowadays? Haven't seen them for sale in any shop in Europe for like 2 years.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3697 on: November 16, 2021, 06:01:55 AM »
Are Lockins impossible to get nowadays? Haven't seen them for sale in any shop in Europe for like 2 years.

Both the 99 and 101 in 52, 53 and 55 are in the new catalog, so maybe they are in short supply with local distributors there, or something.  Compared to the Radial Slims which are not in any catalogs for almost a year, at least the Lock Ins should still be in production if they are still showing on the Spitfire site.

I think there was a bit of a push a while back to get away from them, the shape being either conical full for that outside edge or tablets for the inside, depending on which side profile you prefer.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #3698 on: November 16, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »
Does anyone know if the Flatspots eventually fix themselves? I bought the wheels like 3 or 4 months ago and hadn't really noticed because Ive been skating street a bunch but the other day I went to Lot 11 (smooth street park) and it sounds like Im riding a motortcycle yet the flatspots are barely noticeable. Never had this issue and Ive been skating F4s for years and I powerslide a bunch.

IpathCats

« Reply #3699 on: November 16, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
Options are great. Can't believe SLAP gear nerds have issues with all the shapes....

Yea, idk how anyone could possibly be upset about this lol.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3700 on: November 16, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
Does anyone know if the Flatspots eventually fix themselves? I bought the wheels like 3 or 4 months ago and hadn't really noticed because Ive been skating street a bunch but the other day I went to Lot 11 (smooth street park) and it sounds like Im riding a motortcycle yet the flatspots are barely noticeable. Never had this issue and Ive been skating F4s for years and I powerslide a bunch.

Short answer, yes.

But it depends how bad the flat spot is. I have found I can get rid of flatspots in F4s far easier than other wheels. But really the bigger the flat spot (typically the louder it is) the longer it will take to 'iron' out. Bomb some hills. Skate a lot.

IpathCats

« Reply #3701 on: November 16, 2021, 10:49:35 AM »

If it's not super bad it should work itself out eventually. The harder the wheel is the longer it will take.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3702 on: November 16, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
agreed.

pals, what would you cut? what's the perfect amount of options? theres 10 f4 models afaik:

I'm all for options, but at some point, you are hitting diminishing returns on shapes.

classics
[classic slims, oh how I miss you]
classic full
og classics

radials
radial slim
radial full*

conical
conical full

tablets
lock ins

What I'd add:

AWOL shape (it's like an STF V5)
Conical slim - to replace tablets
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:26:29 AM by Xen »

sketchyrider

« Reply #3703 on: November 16, 2021, 11:55:56 AM »
i found standard conicals to be pretty darn close to bones v5.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3704 on: November 16, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
i found standard conicals to be pretty darn close to bones v5.

Well guess I’m off to get some conicals! Love the V5 shape but I just feel better on spits. My local has some 54mm 99a conicals and this is what I needed to hear to pull the trigger.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #3705 on: November 16, 2021, 04:24:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
agreed.

pals, what would you cut? what's the perfect amount of options? theres 10 f4 models afaik:

[close]

I'm all for options, but at some point, you are hitting diminishing returns on shapes.

classics
[classic slims, oh how I miss you]
classic full
og classics

radials
radial slim
radial full*

conical
conical full

tablets
lock ins

What I'd add:

AWOL shape (it's like an STF V5)
Conical slim - to replace tablets

Simply because I think they look cool with the purple graphic (and it’s also a pretty good shape) I’d like to see 58 mm F4 OG classics in 97a.  I’d also settle for 56 or 60 mm. 

europa1991

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3706 on: November 18, 2021, 09:42:05 AM »
Headass question time: but has anyone noticed a difference with tablets when it came down to noseslides/tailslides on ledges and curbs? Been trying to get consistent with those and I’m gonna need new wheels soon so I thought maybe they could give me a bit of an advantage

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3707 on: November 18, 2021, 09:55:48 AM »
Headass question time: but has anyone noticed a difference with tablets when it came down to noseslides/tailslides on ledges and curbs? Been trying to get consistent with those and I’m gonna need new wheels soon so I thought maybe they could give me a bit of an advantage

no

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3708 on: November 18, 2021, 10:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Slides are the same bizness with like contact patch width wheels (conicals for example). Good lock-in on grinds if that's your thing, like 50/50s and such.

It's mental for sure, but I found I didn't skate well on them compared to classics, and didn't prefer them over anything for the slappy game (especially slappy crooks).

europa1991

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3709 on: November 18, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Slides are the same bizness with like contact patch width wheels (conicals for example). Good lock-in on grinds if that's your thing, like 50/50s and such.

It's mental for sure, but I found I didn't skate well on them compared to classics, and didn't prefer them over anything for the slappy game (especially slappy crooks).
Thank you

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3710 on: November 19, 2021, 02:35:10 AM »
Pulled this line from the normal Wheels thread to add here:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just want some 55mm Radials. I know some exist. One day.
[close]
My local has those SLAG 56mm radials, so theres a few sets floating around. Pretty sure they came in 55 as well!
[close]
AFAIK those were 53, 54 and 56 only. Lots of deals on them though and the 56s were natural color but that size may be sold through by now.

I still haven't seen the new Radials or Radial Full wheels, but I have a feeling the Full versions are not much if at all wider, but more so the bigger versions.

Were the first 55mm Radials the Oski dragons, then the Skate Like A Girl the only other Radials in 55mm wheels too?

I thought there were still some 55mm Radials around too, but the initial Skate Like A Girl 55mm Radials came out in the Spring 2020 catalog, from what I saw, which surprised me cause I didn't think it was that long ago.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring-2020/

Specifically this one:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring20/sf-sp20-d2-dt-04-2.jpg

Then the Spring 2021 catalog has the newer ones with the 56mm naturals:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring-2021/

The two most recent catalogs have had normal Radials in 52, 54 and 56mm sizes, but I haven't seen many in shops or out there much.  I had all three sizes from a few years back when there were lots around, with the 54mm being the only ones I kept and still have on a board as they are just the most comfortable overall size, but the 56mm is still a good size and shape for bigger wheels too.

It is funny how such a small thing like 55mm in the middle is such a small difference, compared to the more common 54mm or 56mm wheels, but I know others who have gone more for the smaller size for tech, or the bigger size for speed, so if nothing else, at least the 56mm will wear down to 55mm, or the 54mm wheels are the next best thing if you didn't want such big wheels to start with.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/summer21/sf-sm21-radials.jpg

Edit:  Added the Radial size chart, with the 58mm wheels as best I can recall, but they could have easily been wider with more contact mm as well.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:04:03 AM by Mbrimson88 »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3711 on: November 19, 2021, 02:46:10 AM »
Pulled this line from the normal Wheels thread to add here:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just want some 55mm Radials. I know some exist. One day.
[close]
My local has those SLAG 56mm radials, so theres a few sets floating around. Pretty sure they came in 55 as well!
[close]
AFAIK those were 53, 54 and 56 only. Lots of deals on them though and the 56s were natural color but that size may be sold through by now.
[close]

I still haven't seen the new Radials or Radial Full wheels, but I have a feeling the Full versions are not much if at all wider, but more so the bigger versions.

Were the first 55mm Radials the Oski dragons, then the Skate Like A Girl the only other Radials in 55mm wheels too?

I thought there were still some 55mm Radials around too, but the initial Skate Like A Girl 55mm Radials came out in the Spring 2020 catalog, from what I saw, which surprised me cause I didn't think it was that long ago.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring-2020/

Specifically this one:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring20/sf-sp20-d2-dt-04-2.jpg

Then the Spring 2021 catalog has the newer ones with the 56mm naturals:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring-2021/

The two most recent catalogs have had normal Radials in 52, 54 and 56mm sizes, but I haven't seen many in shops or out there much.  I had all three sizes from a few years back when there were lots around, with the 54mm being the only ones I kept and still have on a board as they are just the most comfortable overall size, but the 56mm is still a good size and shape for bigger wheels too.

It is funny how such a small thing like 55mm in the middle is such a small difference, compared to the more common 54mm or 56mm wheels, but I know others who have gone more for the smaller size for tech, or the bigger size for speed, so if nothing else, at least the 56mm will wear down to 55mm, or the 54mm wheels are the next best thing if you didn't want such big wheels to start with.

I really want these 52mm Radials and compare them with the 52mm Classic Fulls I recently got. My perfect wheel is somewhere in that range.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3712 on: November 19, 2021, 03:02:57 AM »

I really want these 52mm Radials and compare them with the 52mm Classic Fulls I recently got. My perfect wheel is somewhere in that range.

I just added the Radial size chart in the last message.

Your message from earlier came up in a search for Classic Full too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3655191#msg3655191

Charts to compare size:

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3713 on: November 19, 2021, 05:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just added the Radial size chart in the last message.

Your message from earlier came up in a search for Classic Full too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.msg3655191#msg3655191

Charts to compare size:

It’s interesting Spitfire decided to bring back Classic Fulls considering how close they are to Radials. I suppose the radius of the edge is different given they are wider with a smaller riding surface, but not sure that would make any difference in practice. Anyway, I am glad there are options when it comes to small, wide wheels with a round edge. Nothing like this was available when I got into Spitfire a year ago.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3714 on: November 22, 2021, 05:01:41 PM »
I noticed the Spitfire Fall 2021 Drop 2 is now up.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

Really only the pro wheels in conical full from Mark Suciu, classic from Mason Silva and Louie Lopez and the Radial Full from Kader.

Already been discussed, but still waiting to see how many and if there are the 60mm as well as the 57 mm out there in shops.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3715 on: November 22, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m sure it’s because I’m old as hell…but classics are just way better, for me, than the rest of the shapes.
I skate small enough wheels, that a really wide wheel would be nice, maybe. But…the flip with classics. Just better

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #3716 on: November 22, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
101a 52 radials in the spring d2, called speedslims(graphic name afaik) announced today.

also f4 60mm 99 og classics!!!!!! finally!

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #3717 on: November 23, 2021, 02:44:02 AM »
I keep rediscovering every curb session I have, that Tablets are not a good slappy wheel (for me). Dear Lord I love them for everything else though. Those wider classics are looking tempting. At $40+ a set though, I’ll either wait till I actually NEED new wheels or jump on a good sale.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #3718 on: November 24, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »
There's a bunch now but I'm cool with em.  I just wish they would update the part of the website with the dimensions but for the new wheels.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3719 on: November 24, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
I noticed the Spitfire Fall 2021 Drop 2 is now up.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

Really only the pro wheels in conical full from Mark Suciu, classic from Mason Silva and Louie Lopez and the Radial Full from Kader.

Already been discussed, but still waiting to see how many and if there are the 60mm as well as the 57 mm out there in shops.

57s up on Parade as Loud Clouds
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/spitfire-99-formula-4-kader-loud-clouds-wheels-57mm-166-6668555681857/
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.