Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689326 times)

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4140 on: May 06, 2022, 06:35:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Yes to those replies.

OG Classic are a slimmer wheel with a sharper edge and more cutaway inside, when compared to Conical Full wheel shapes.

The set I skated for a day or so, some park but mainly mini ramp session feel like a mix between Classic and Conical Full, in that they don't slip off coping as easily as Classics but they don't grip the coping quite as much as Conical Full wheels do.

Others who have skated them more on ledges and even sitting them on the edge of a bench show they have a little less touching than the Conical Full, which makes what I felt seem true when I skated them.
[close]

I'm tempted to go for 55 OG Classic (after going through LockIns, Tablets and currently on Classics)
Classic felt great but i want to go back to a wider wheel cuz they feel better in the streets

In the meantime, i had a session on some huuuuuge wheels with dimensions similar to kader's radial full (but 55 mm) and it was pretty bad in the crooked department and made my hanger feel really small.

TLDR: are crooked grinds feeling good on those OG classic ?

Recently got 54mm OG Classics (99a) and I really like them. Was on some old 54mm classics prior to that, probably worn down to 52-51. The OG classics are a little smoother on rough ground without being too wide (conical fulls feel a little too wide and wonky to me) and fwiw my crooked grinds aren't any worse on them. It's probably the best of both worlds if you like classic-ish width but are looking for a smoother ride.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4141 on: May 06, 2022, 07:23:07 PM »
I like to think of OG Classics as “Conical Slims.” They’re about as narrow as Radial Slims but with the conical cutaway instead of the radial belly on the side. You get a little wider riding surface and more mass on the outside of the wheel, which (in theory) helps the wheel hold speed compared to a classic where the mass is gathered around the center.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 07:38:47 PM by intendedreceivers »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4142 on: May 07, 2022, 08:40:53 AM »
Fair enough

thanks guys for the feedback, i should not be disappointed

Wheelbitefred

• Rep: 11
« Reply #4143 on: May 07, 2022, 01:12:17 PM »
 I bought a set of f4 54mm 99d lock-ins in like 2019 (adult life has me skating much less) and thought they where great no issues at all and just picked up a set of the OG classic 55 mm 99d’s and they feel way better- not sure if it’s just new wheels or something has changed in the last 3 years? I’ve skated Pretty much only F4’s since they came out (with the exception of some OJ ellites I wasn’t happy with) and never noticed that much of a difference

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4144 on: May 07, 2022, 04:14:24 PM »
I bought a set of f4 54mm 99d lock-ins in like 2019 (adult life has me skating much less) and thought they where great no issues at all and just picked up a set of the OG classic 55 mm 99d’s and they feel way better- not sure if it’s just new wheels or something has changed in the last 3 years? I’ve skated Pretty much only F4’s since they came out (with the exception of some OJ ellites I wasn’t happy with) and never noticed that much of a difference

Speaking of lockins, which are rare (like those radial slims these days), Hazard (Madness) has one just like it. No clue about the quality of urethane or what they feel like....

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4145 on: May 07, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »
I tried some Hazard wheels last year. They felt harder and more slippery than 101 Spitfires but the quality was good.
Rolled pretty fast and didnt flatspot, though still felt like a second rate wheel despite costing me almost as much as a set of spits.

I would buy them again in a pinch, a positive is they consistently seem to be making black wheels which are usually uncommon.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4146 on: May 07, 2022, 05:44:58 PM »
I tried some Hazard wheels last year. They felt harder and more slippery than 101 Spitfires but the quality was good.
Rolled pretty fast and didnt flatspot, though still felt like a second rate wheel despite costing me almost as much as a set of spits.

I would buy them again in a pinch, a positive is they consistently seem to be making black wheels which are usually uncommon.

Did they feel like Creative urethane? I can't stand creative pours.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4147 on: May 07, 2022, 06:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Speaking of lockins, which are rare (like those radial slims these days), Hazard (Madness) has one just like it. No clue about the quality of urethane or what they feel like....

Somebody really needs to do lockouts, so when you ride them graphic in, they function as intended. I guess mini combos/slime balls are sort of like that, but the “lock” side had more radius/bevel.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4148 on: May 08, 2022, 03:11:26 AM »
Got a free set of 58mm OGs. Rode great with no break in time on the wood indoor ramp. Which is weird cuz the 55 OG’s are too slick and unridable there. But before that the 101a 52mm CF’s were working for me. Maybe it’s all about the contact patch width or every individual pour is slightly different and nothing mattress

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4149 on: May 08, 2022, 04:04:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No, totally different.

People who have had them more often than not say they are too hard and too slippery, but if you want that sort of thing, it should be a good wheel.

The boards I had a go on definitely made me feel uneasy on medium to smooth ground, like I would slip out at any second when carving across a park, but they were fast and I could slide easily on them.

Got a free set of 58mm OGs. Rode great with no break in time on the wood indoor ramp. Which is weird cuz the 55 OG’s are too slick and unridable there. But before that the 101a 52mm CF’s were working for me. Maybe it’s all about the contact patch width or every individual pour is slightly different and nothing mattress

Any of the old / original / classic urethane compound have the lines / tread so you have to wear that in first.

Any Formula Four wheels are smooth on the riding surface, which is great for never having to ease into a set of wheels on any terrain, even smooth park or wood mini ramp.

Could have been how long they were sitting somewhere too, given some wheels will develop a surface coating that has to be worn off before they feel good, but other than that, I wouldn't know or think there would be any difference between different sizes, just the different compounds.

The OG Classics came out in the original compound a lot more than the Formula Four compound, but now it seems to be the other way round.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

braksabbath

« Reply #4150 on: May 08, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
Yeah these are both OG classic shape
 formula four, not to be confused with OG Classic classic OG formula  :o
Theres a 1.5mm difference in contact width, wouldn’t think that’s much at all but on the same ramp it was the difference between ice rink slams and complete grippy confidence

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4151 on: May 08, 2022, 06:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

urethane quality is shitty like mini logo or bones 100s but for the price of a f4.

i decided to try the formula and they slide real nice and are pretty hard but holy fucking shit are they slow the ~53mm conical full held speed worse then my worn does ~45mm stf wides both with the same quantum metallics, like so shit to the point that i could barely reach a quarter pipe coping even if i charged at it.

also some bubbles in the core (weirdly tight core too, gotta put some muscle in) I eventually contacted them on instagram after being ignored through their site and email and there taking like 5 days to respond in between each message :/

tldr; hazards are slow and expensive and "customer service" takes eras to respond
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4152 on: May 08, 2022, 07:54:02 PM »
Yeah these are both OG classic shape
 formula four, not to be confused with OG Classic classic OG formula  :o
Theres a 1.5mm difference in contact width, wouldn’t think that’s much at all but on the same ramp it was the difference between ice rink slams and complete grippy confidence

The size wouldn't make much difference at all, but as you said the feel of them is key.

I have experienced that a lot more with 101s with some being super slick and slippery and others being even more grippy than the 99s, but to me the normal 99s have always been the same feel.  That is not to say that something happened and they are mixed compounds or something else going on (like surface slickness on the slippery wheels) but at least if you found some that did work, then that is all that matters.

The newer 97s I have used on wood, skatelite and other surfaces were pretty good, but I could feel them being slightly slower at the same time, when compared to my other 99s, otherwise I would say try some of those.  I still like them anyway, as do other people for more slippery ramps or for rough ground, so there will always be a place for my usual 99s as well as the other softer wheels on boards I have set up as regular riders.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4153 on: May 08, 2022, 09:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah they werent that bad..  But like I said still felt like a second rate wheel and probably not worth the cost.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #4154 on: May 14, 2022, 11:10:05 AM »
Dear Spitfire (I know there are some DLX heads in dis bitch), please make more colored wheel options in a non-classic shape! Ive been riding my Conical Bouls flatspotted for like 4 months because they weren't that bad, they weren't cheap and it's hella hard to get a shape that's not a classic in a colored option. I know there's a black Ishod wheel but black wheels look gross.  So please pretty please guys take note of this for the upcoming seasons!

I did end up buying some OG Classic F4s but I feel like my whip is not the same without colored wheels haha

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #4155 on: May 14, 2022, 12:38:26 PM »
Dear Spitfire (I know there are some DLX heads in dis bitch), please make more colored wheel options in a non-classic shape! Ive been riding my Conical Bouls flatspotted for like 4 months because they weren't that bad, they weren't cheap and it's hella hard to get a shape that's not a classic in a colored option. I know there's a black Ishod wheel but black wheels look gross.  So please pretty please guys take note of this for the upcoming seasons!

I did end up buying some OG Classic F4s but I feel like my whip is not the same without colored wheels haha
Would you ride an orange conical?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4156 on: May 14, 2022, 12:40:18 PM »
Orange is the next best wheel color after potato brown.

Classic Fulls in Orange please.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #4157 on: May 14, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Would you ride an orange conical?
I hella would

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #4158 on: May 14, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »
i’m very partial to light blue wheels. Loved my skate like a girl radials. never understood the color wheel hate.

braksabbath

« Reply #4159 on: May 14, 2022, 07:16:27 PM »
I want single color wheel ala Lance/Grosso to come back. Could do rit dye but old posts here said it doesn’t last long.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4160 on: May 14, 2022, 08:05:35 PM »
I want single color wheel ala Lance/Grosso to come back. Could do rit dye but old posts here said it doesn’t last long.

It's a funny one, cause they always sell out and people keep wanting more of them, but they seem like things are almost being cut back in terms of production or anything different of late.

Some people often buy their own and mix and match, given most wheels come out in the same size and shape, with coloured options occasionally, so that one set of coloured wheels from last season or so could easily be put with three other normal sets to make a lasting single coloured wheel set last a while.

What size and shape are you most interested in?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4161 on: May 21, 2022, 08:26:05 AM »

The Spitfire Summer 2022 catalog is up with the most interesting offering (as previously mentioned by others) being this wheel:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/summer22/sf-sm22-jeff-carlyle-cat-2.jpg

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4162 on: May 21, 2022, 09:01:24 AM »
Damn. No radials and no conicals…. Wtf

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #4163 on: May 21, 2022, 09:07:36 AM »

The Spitfire Summer 2022 catalog is up with the most interesting offering (as previously mentioned by others) being this wheel:

YEAH BABY GLOW IN THE DARK!

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4164 on: May 21, 2022, 09:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

YEAH BABY GLOW IN THE DARK!

Man, the 90s really are back.

I could see those being useful for night skating if they actually work.

I remember having some hardware with glow in the dark paint and it really didn't work very well. Great idea though.

Is there a consumer level glow in the dark paint we could put on our grip tape?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #4165 on: May 21, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
Looks like I’m getting some new wheels. Yes the glow in the dark wheels actually work. Those are what I was running on my cruiser(when they made them in the 80hd). Love me some gimmicky wheels that look normal. As for glow in the dark spray paint there’s some but from what I’ve heard it’s kind of hit and miss on actually working.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4166 on: May 21, 2022, 03:28:52 PM »
53mm Lock-ins

Hell yesss
IG: @flowterspace

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4167 on: May 21, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »
I have some glow in the dark rails from tgm, and they glow better than I would expect. They were noticeably glowy even when it was still daytime and they were in a shadow. Pretty cool

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4168 on: May 22, 2022, 03:16:30 AM »
Damn. No radials and no conicals…. Wtf

They were both in the last catalog and should still be in some shops.

I would say though that it seems what comes out each month in the catalog is not all the wheels they produce, maybe more just a showing of some of the new options, as many of the "old favourites" are still making their way out to lots of shops, as I have seen from Instagram posts of new stock drops.  There doesn't seem to be any way to know what else is coming out when or where, apart from what the shops get as their pre book catalog info.

Given not all sizes, shapes and duros are out all the time, it would be best if you do find a wheel you like to get a few sets.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4169 on: May 22, 2022, 06:14:12 AM »
Im sorry for asking this, i know its been discussed x amounts of times already but i really cant decide between Radials, reg. conicals and og classics..

Ive been on two pairs of 53mm conical fulls before but want to shave off a little weight as i like to ride 55-57mm for longevity.

Is conicals the in between shape of the three?