Author Topic: Austin Stephens appreciation  (Read 16071 times)

doitswitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Austin Stephens appreciation
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2006, 11:58:25 PM »
I really like the guy but he seems to be progressing backwards, I mean look at that ledge he always seems to skate..
Sponsor vid- kickflip back tail
TIS- Backside nosegrind 180
Good and Evil- 50-50 frontside 180
Havn't seen Suffer the Joy but at this rate we're looking at a noseslide. Style keeps getting better though.
And we do need to see more Steve Olson, best part in Fulfill the Dream.

captain sensible

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2006, 12:43:23 AM »
best part for olson was tentacles of destruction, the tricks he did on hubba are amazing.

alexx

• Rep: 10
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2006, 02:35:58 AM »
for the people saying stephens is a bad skater, you are wrong. the dude is extremely capable of some really great skateboarding, not only in the style area but also trick wise. he could put together a fantastic video part if he really put a lot of effort into it. although the main issue here is that the type of relaxed, banks and ledges sort of skating he is doing isn't quite his best, but he's certainly comfortable with what he's doing. i'm completely fine with that, but obviously there are people out there who demand more from skateboarders and it's up to him if he wants really push himself.

tehmizzark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »
for the people saying stephens is a bad skater, you are wrong. the dude is extremely capable of some really great skateboarding, not only in the style area but also trick wise. he could put together a fantastic video part if he really put a lot of effort into it. although the main issue here is that the type of relaxed, banks and ledges sort of skating he is doing isn't quite his best, but he's certainly comfortable with what he's doing. i'm completely fine with that, but obviously there are people out there who demand more from skateboarders and it's up to him if he wants really push himself.

Im sure most people would be "comfortable" getting paid doing half assed skateboard tricks

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote
that's bullshit. wellcome to hell is about great skateboarding, not hammers. there's very versatile skating in it and there isn't a single part that'd be all about hucking yourself down things. even jamie has plenty of other stuff as well.
[close]
Oh, and Jamie's part isn't about hucking yourself down shit? Your fucking dreaming. It wasn't like something you'd see in a zero video today, but its as close as it got in '96.
well, obviously that's what stands out in that part since big rails and things like that weren't as common as these days, but there's more than that. and there are plenty more parts than just jamies, one part in a video doesn't make it a 'hammer video'.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

hoobastank

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2006, 04:47:27 PM »
Jamie made Welcome to Hell the legendary video that it is.  I am not saying that the other parts weren't good (elissa), but that his part was by far the most impressive and well remembered.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2006, 11:46:09 PM »
he could put together a fantastic video part if he really put a lot of effort into it.

Then why hasn't he? Fuck him. I'm tired of waiting for this mythical "good Austin Stephens part."
As for welcome to hell. I know it doesn't have as many hammers as a video today. Have you been reading what I have been posting? Compare it to other videos of the time, look at the evolution of the modern "hammer" video. Welcome to Hell made that shit what it is. You think guys like Greco and Ellington didn't learn a few things from Jamie? That dude is all business, and it shows in Welcome to hell. As for other people in it, you bet your ass there were! I can remember a bunch of "hammers" others did. Maldonado's  ollie on the bench to ollie over the wall, his 5050 on a massive rail to landing on a stair. Elissa Steamer ollieing the gap into the bank/sign, Brian Anderson's front blunt on hubba, Templeton boardslide to pop out early on a capped rail, his frontside feeble on a kinked rail, The friends section is just full of hammers by big name guys, and there are so many more I could name. Sure, there is other shit in there, but it is also full of some serious hammers.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2006, 12:19:05 AM »
everytime i pass this post i always think it says austin seaholm appreciation thread..

hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:22:59 PM by plastic bench nerd »

doitswitch

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2006, 03:25:55 PM »
everytime i pass this post i always think it says austin seaholm appreciation thread..

hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Haha appreciate fools! Lets hear some opinions about Seaholm!
And I just saw Austin Stevens Suffer the Joy part and I liked it a little less than Good and Evil. Don't know why though... That backside 50-50 was pretty feeble.

Wooderson

• Rep: -16
  • pearl rips
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2007, 02:37:20 PM »
i was just watching boob and that dude used to wear a flexfit hat and size 40 jeans ha
You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2007, 02:44:06 PM »
I like his skating. He's hipster as fuck!
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »
I'm tired of waiting for this mythical "good Austin Stephens part."
hardly art, hardly starving

log

• sukkot
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that's bullshit. wellcome to hell is about great skateboarding, not hammers. there's very versatile skating in it and there isn't a single part that'd be all about hucking yourself down things. even jamie has plenty of other stuff as well.
[close]
Oh, and Jamie's part isn't about hucking yourself down shit? Your fucking dreaming. It wasn't like something you'd see in a zero video today, but its as close as it got in '96.
[close]
well, obviously that's what stands out in that part since big rails and things like that weren't as common as these days, but there's more than that. and there are plenty more parts than just jamies, one part in a video doesn't make it a 'hammer video'.
so, the hammers made it stand out but that doesnt make it a "hammer" video?
hamster, you chewed on the peice of wood i gave you, you soiled the litter i put on the bottom of your cage and you drank all the water i put in your bottle...this is why we cant have nice things!

hamid

• Rep: -3
  • ما شاء الله
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »
i know that he's not on another level or anything and a lot of his tricks were one-upped like ten years ago but when Suffer the Joy first got posted on youtube, I would just watch his part nonstop. maybe it was his style or maybe it was the music, I don't know but I like him.
ﺍﷲ ﺍﮐﺒﺭ

Maple Syrup

• rhymenoceros
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
nothing hes done has ever stood out in my mind.  his skating and style is forgettable.

js6

• Rep: -2
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2007, 12:45:45 AM »
someone please post his suffer the joy part.

ragingboner

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2007, 01:37:25 AM »
austin stephens = washed up

log

• sukkot
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2007, 02:45:32 AM »
i believe the whole video is on google video, unless of course they took it down.

why all the hate? its supposed to be an "appreciation" thread.

haha, as if one has ever existed.
hamster, you chewed on the peice of wood i gave you, you soiled the litter i put on the bottom of your cage and you drank all the water i put in your bottle...this is why we cant have nice things!

Maple Syrup

• rhymenoceros
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2007, 08:28:43 AM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRrpzN-xzbg

theres his good and evil part.  the only tricks that i thought were good were the last 2 clips, the line with the feeble and kickflip, and the kickflip at rincon.  seriously everything else just wasnt really good.

log

• sukkot
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2007, 12:48:14 PM »

theres his good and evil part.  the only tricks that i thought were good were the last 2 clips, the line with the feeble and kickflip, and the kickflip at rincon.  seriously everything else just wasnt really good.
yea, pole jams on vertical poles really arnt that good at all.bluntslides down hubbas, seriously was NOT really good

texastoast88

• Rep: -1
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yea, pole jams on vertical poles really arnt that good at all.bluntslides down hubbas, seriously was NOT really good
who gives a shit just face it he sucks
fosterbro (3 days ago)
shecklers amazing but u should change the song cuz its gay, put something by metallica or 3 days grace or something